Times you won musical arguments

>dad was a professional, touring musician for a few years, with a band
>I've never played an instrument and know very little about music theory, despite liking music
>talk to dad, somehow conversation gets round to xylophones

>I mention that the xylophone is a percussive instrument

>dad: "no"
>me: "yuh-huh, look it up. You strike the plates with mallets. You hit the thing, so it's a percussive instrument. Specifically, the xylophone is part of the percussive section in an orchestra."

>dad starts getting upset, going in both directions at once: first, he insists that this is so vague that all musical instruments in general involve some sort of "striking" of the sound-maker. Second, he actually tries to argue that the xylophone is not a percussive instrument exactly because it produces several well-defined pitches

>I know that dad knows enough about music to know that drums produce definite timbres and pitches, just in a more muted and less explicit way, but he's flustered right now

>okay dad, look it up.
>he looks it up
>I stick it home to him: "see, you were wrong, weren't you?"
>dad sorta grumbles and doesn't want to talk about it anymore
>all of my smug

>dad leaves and starts a new family

wait till you tell him about the piano

Wait if the piano strings are being struck when you press the key does that make it a percussive instrument?

I did BTFO out of him pretty hard, but he's a good man.

The sweeter thing was when he was boxed into a corner and absolutely had no other choice whatsoever, and he voted for Trump, though he had desparately wished back in March 2016 that Trump would be defeated in the primary process, and I informed him that Trump would not only win the primary process, but that he would also be elected president- he's already buried like a dozen guys by this point, what's a few more.

Wouldn't that mean the piano is a percussive instrument as well?

There's actually a specific term beyond percussive, but I can't remember that level of sperge from lectures

Absolutely. In the words of Billy Joel, "You don't strum a piano, you beat the shit out of it"

Conglaturations

Yes, the piano is a percussive instrument.

Idiophonic? Basically all instruments that aren't stringed or skinned and produce sound solely by being struck.

Your dad hates you

most people just call it tuned percussion

Not it's not.

I'm a professional musician who has toured for years with a band. If you called a piano a percussive instrument you'd be laughed off stage. It produces well-defined pitches.

judging by your sentence spacing i'm guessing you're the sperg in the skramz thread.
i'm sorry to break it to you, but yes it is, you can literally ask anyone who teaches music at a middle school level to a professor, conductors or otherwise, it is 100% a percussion instrument.

>playing "while my guitar gently weeps" on keyboard
>friend:"you're only playing that because prince died poser" (happened around the time Prince was kill)
>inform my friend that George Harrison wrote the song, Prince version is a cover
>he shuts up

Try the first line of the OP.

Honestly that's so vague. Is a guitar a percussion instrument too, because you hit the strings?

t. OP's dad

go to bed dad

hehehe guys

t. OP

what kind of turbo-mong doesn't know that's a beatles song?

Percussion instruments (aka idiophones) subdivisions: wood, metal, other
String instruments (aka chordophones) subdivisions: suspended, box, neck

Piano is a string instrument, boxed strings specifically
at least according to my music history class

i don't know what your teacher was smoking, but both of those classifications bleed into a ton of other styles of instruments that could also be up for debate. I assure you, really, piano is percussion.

NO you strum them
Unless you're a badass and/or playing the Seinfeld intro

literally the same kind of guy who thought The Man Who Sold was a Nirvana song

percussion
musical instruments played by striking with the hand or with a stick or beater, or by shaking, including drums, cymbals, xylophones, gongs, bells, and rattles.

Sound is created in a piano by pressing keys which trigger small hammers that strike the strings inside, therefore it is a percussion instrument.

>You're listening to Leadbelly's performance of In the Pines
>I bet you don't even know who Kart Cubone is

The Seinfeld intro was a synth

>A string instrument is a musical instrument that makes sound by vibrating the strings on it.

Sound is created in a piano by pressing keys which trigger small hammers that strike the strings inside, therefore it is a string instrument.

OP is a 16 year old autist that is so proud of himself because he "won an argument" irl. If this isn't cringe then I don't know what is. People have conversations like that all the time and it's nothing special.

t.a guy who never won an argument

>t. faggot autist who argues just for the sake of an argument.
Like I said, it happens all the time in the real world, but you wouldn't know because you never leave your basement.

Stay mad, brainlet.

Stay juvenile, child. You wouldn't win an argument with a 10 yo.

>"Keyboard instruments do not fit easily into this scheme. For example, the piano has strings, but they are struck by hammers, so it is not clear whether it should be classified as a string instrument or a percussion instrument."

Conlratilio, you're both half-right and half-wrong

Not as much of an argument, but similar story
>Discussion over clever songwriting using little lyrics with significant meaning
>Bring up how Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" is a perfect example of this
>Dad who used to be in fairly big AC/DC cover band insists the song was written by Jimi Hendrix
>Mfw that's where you're wrong kiddo

>child
You're the one sperging out over a Sup Forums post that must've hit you too close to home, buddy. :)

>i don't know what your teacher was smoking

Not him but those are classically taught classifications, albeit interpretations that could indeed be up for debate.

For the sake of high level music education it sets a standard, so he's not wrong.

yeah my professor is pretty qualified IMO
>PhD, Wikipedia article, decades of experience, hundreds of compositions, has interviewed Philip Glass, Steve Reich, and others
still, it's a really basic entry-level class so he probably dumbs it down a lot

i think we might be saying the same thing, but i may have not been clear. i'm purely talking about piano, which in the academic level is almost unanimously declared a percussion instrument, and only that instrument i am talking about.

Forgiveable, Jimi shits all over Dylan's version.

>times op was a faggot

Right now

Damn you sound annoying as fuck