English learning thread

What have you done to improve your English? Be as specific as possible.

me
Shitpost on Sup Forums
Read some news in English
Read manga translated into English
Watch American dramas

Let's share our experience!

Me
Be American

that does the exact opposite of improving English

What are you talking aboot?

I lurked on the internet, unironically watched subbed anime and various sports streams (no baseball though).

anime

This is probably the wrong chan to attempt such a thread, Japan-kun, since to frequent it you already need to know the language well enough to follow along.
だがもしかしてスカイプ勉強友達になりたくならもいいよ。一緒に通信能力を練りましょう。あそこではsuplangです。

Agreed. Anglos are ruining English with both Uptalk and Ebonics. But Canada is not free from guilt on the former.

discussion on Sup Forums

english has been getting ruined for at least 1000 years

I'll agree the butchering is real, but in terms of speaking I don't know about any other disease like the one we're going through right now.

Maybe Indian English, but they are self-hating and it doesn't consume other dialects like Valley speak and niggaspeak have been doing...

あいうづらいくとらんいんぐりしゅ

Me

> be me
> turned eight years old
> my oldman got me a SNES and some video games: first contact with english. Couldn't understand a word of what the characters were "saying", but didn't care much at that moment
> time passed by and got myself a PSone
>tons of videogames
>characters interacting...at some moment i got pissed off sor being unable to understand what they were saying, picked a bilingual dictionary and from that point on i never stopped practicing
>burgerland advertising and media pretty much everywhere
>broaden vocabulary became even easier because it was soemthing you were enjoying, unlike the typical teachers wanting you to memorize tons of words in just one session.
>here i am shitposting on a anime board where i usually get bullied for being a taco (unironically i have only been twice to burgerland and both ocassions sucked, got shit from asians, whites, latin americans and blacks).

that pretty much summarizes how i learned english. Now working on german
>bu but but it'll be a dea dlanguage within twenty-five years at this rate say the Sup Forumsacks
look on the bright side, it'll be cool to be able to speak and understand a dead tongue.

Can Mexicans afford videogames?

>Be me.
>started watching nickelodeon and the simpsons in spanish with english subtitles.
>started watching american comedies with spanish subtitles.
>Never paid attention to english in high school.
>Started listening music in english (pop and the other shits, then metal bla bla bla)
>watching youtube videos.
>Now shitposting here.
>i'm actually reading shit like Allan poe and Hemingway

>american dramas
these exist?

>be me at 12
>start getting into rap music
>buy tons of albums
>wear hiphop clothes
>go around rapping
>Nigga show me ten G's, and I'll show you a hundred
>All that shit you niggaz dream about, I've been there and done it
>I don't take 'em out to eat
I ain't here to trick or treat
I ain't trying to fix your weave
I ain't heard of that!!
I'm just here to train ho's
Put 'em on the main road
Teach 'em how to 'Change Clothes'
I know you heard of that!!
>classmates think I'm cool
>still have no idea what I'm saying

>fast forward to years later after I became fluent
>visit father
>he shows me old videos of me performing Slim Thug rap lyrics at the school play

You've just had like two years worth of political dramas that were produced with a budget of a few hundred million burgers.

I'm trying to stop talking with uptalk, it's pretty difficult to stop desu

>still have no idea what I'm saying
Either do I.
American rap music is kind of like English in that it uses a lot of English words but it's not really English.

I'm 19.
Reading English stuff since I was a kid, I don't know:

Videogames as a kid
I love music, so I ate many English-speakers artists. Music is the thing I like the most.
Comic books.
Trust, prioritize, and lurk English sites daily ever since I got memory of the Internet.
Everything that is out there of the many things I like (music, tv series, comics, etc) are on English language, such as biographies, information, videos, audios, etc.
Growing up on freaking weebo sites like this one.

Wikis are not wikis if they are not english

Pretty easy, it has become part of me, a natural part of me.

>english isn't his native language
shameful

Yeah, but it was a shit show. The leads were completely unrelatable, one of them kept going off script and the writers clearly had no idea how to end it. The sequel looks like it's going to be even worse. Our PM saw the preview screening and hasn't stopped crying since.

>so I ate many English-speakers artists.

One of the many reasons why I don't own a TV、です。

>reminder: next time I shouldn't play with silly terms

Don't cry for me Argentina.
As a French Canadian I've done worse. I once tried to make a pun using an Anglo expression. My friend looked at me confused for a good long while before adopting knowing smile which let me know I fucked up.

>As a French Canadian
I'm so sorry

Don't stress, the metaphor was clear and I was merely having a poke at the phraseology.
A couple of more ways you could spin it:
>I love music, so I consumed music from many English-speakers artists.
>I love music, so I ate gobbled up all the English-speakers artists I could find.
>I love music, so I swallowed up music of English-speakers artists which fell into earshot.
Language is definitely something you should play with; bend, break, remould, reshape, chew and spit out.

I learned it like these anons
Now I can understand English perfectly but for lack of practice (I read and listen everyday but rarely speak or write a good amount of text) and proper lessons, I ended up with very good comprehension skills but poor production skills

To improve my production skills I'm doing this:

>reading a few grammar books
>taking a 6 month English course I bought for cheap (started just a week ago)
>repeating the same word or sentence using google tranlate's voice recognition until it understands me (some words I get right on the first try but others can take several attempts)
>talking to random dudes on the internet
>avoiding thinking and talking to myself in Portuguese

The funny thing is that my accent sound like a Black American from the dirty south due to rap

what show is this. is this a meme?

What sports if not baseball?

i was born LMAO

>watch anime
>ends up learning English instead of Japanese.

How is this possible?