/daily/ - Heavier Than A Death in the Family Edition

RIP PI ;__;

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

thecutemusic.bandcamp.com/album/works-1-3
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/сховайся/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

if you hang out in this general you are the gayest

Boys loving boys is the purest form of love

91.1% of /daily/ is gway, confirmed info

I dont like the cymbals on Pharoah's Karma they're distracting and sound bad

rip qt mousey

daily should have died instead of pi rip lil nigga

who dat

who pi or daily

pi more like pee pee

u take that back

i don't get this general

what is it about?

pi

Pennis and Also Dicke and Balls

ahhh el stiffo :P

cool, thanks man

8-)

d'you dig Pennis! at the Dicke?

>Hijokaidan - The Noise (CD 1)
I look up Dogwander's review of that one for reference. Being familiar with some of there stuff, the first disc reminds me of the live shows featured in Zouroku No Kibyo. Highly dynamic noise, from a standard rock set as a whole, but thinking about it, it's interesting how the material glues together and dissolves into a memory of energy. On this note ejaculation and noise music seem very much bound, as the sweet memory fuels dark desires to listen to "ultra shit" music again. I would listen to the album again and maybe revisit it once more after I get deeper into the compilation.
What's inspiring for me is how mad those bastards were, how they used every possible occasion to play and how they played. Trying to do stuff like that here (in my city meaning) and people telling me that it's too "ahead" or too "awkward" feels weird, more so that stuff like this was put out even before the 70's. It's strange how certain things are.

btw, metadata on the compilation (got it from rutracker) is shit.

I listened to some Magic Flute today, would use a couple of Mozart recommendations, as it seems classical music it's a void on itself. thanks!

this is...
oh

it's the art angels of our generation imo

what's the Balls of Pennis! at the Dicke?

Boujee

ryan ross
named after his gigantic horse cock

great thread

great trips and review, I've especially enjoyed the part about ejaculation

>don't visit /daily/ for one day
>the freakin' mouse dies

i blame co

hi hi ha ha

why did you do it you fuck

poor show canine, poor show. everything about karma is great

never leave again

naah, its a nitpick but The Creator Has a Master Plan would be better without the cymbal part starting around 2:20. Thankfully the rest of the music drowns them out soon enough.

Motherhood from On the Beach by Philip Cohran is rly good just wanted someone to know k

watch this

desu i can't even really specifically remember cymbals on The Creator Has A Master Plan off the top of my head so I can't say I get what you're saying

I'll check it out, looks like it's probably up my street

wait actually i think its a xylophone not cymbals my english is meming me, also do check that album out especially if you like groovy jazz with some sweet soulful vocals

Etta James - At Last! (1960)
>rhythm & blues, soul

James’ transcendental vocals carry an otherwise somewhat bland record. I’ll never be able to get into ‘50s and ‘60s rhythm & blues. I’m not sure if it’s because the genre is so overplayed or because I just generally don’t care for ‘50s and ‘60s (early ‘60s, at least) pop music as a whole, but this style does absolutely nothing for me. A lot of the actual songs feel like they’ve been done a million times before, and this is especially apparent on the more rock ‘n’ roll influenced tracks, like “Tough Mary”. I do quite like the very overly-orchestrated stuff, however, and the stretch of songs that comprises “I Just Want to Make Love To You”, “At Last”, and “All I Could Do Was Cry” is phenomenal. And, of course, James’ vocals are perfect. She can be smooth, she can be jarringly rough (seriously, some of her more passionate moments are /guttural/), but she’s always entrancing to listen to. Over some much more inspired instrumentals, James’ voice could make for a great album, but the instrumentals and the songs themself definitely hold her back here.

2.5+

The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday (1967)
>folk rock, psychedelic pop, pop rock

I think they’ve got it here. The psychedelic influences on Fifth Dimension seem a bit out of place compared to the sunshiney jangley pop, but they feel a lot more natural here. They mesh with the pop rather than taking over it, and even the straight up psych songs like “Mind Gardens” fit well. The melodies are on point, as are the jangly guitar work and the beautiful harmonies. Still has it’s fair share of filler tracks and some slightly misled attempts at experimentation, but a fine album nonetheless.

3.0-

FISH ON THE FRONT PAGE KYAAA~

For real though this is the first time it's happened to me, but I'd probably go back and change a couple things about this review if I could. I need to be a better writer in general and diversify my musical language but I thought it was pretty neat.

soon the daily takeover of that website will be complete
/rym/ on suicide watch

is this poseurcore

When 90% of RYM has an inflated rating scale and they see 2.5/5 as a total pan. Or when you rate a relatively obscure album 3.5/5 because it was good and it actually just ends up lowering the RYM rating...

You know what I'm talking about?

it's a good feeling innit? congrats!

don't forget about us now you're famous pls mate

with the obscure stuff it makes sense, only people that love a genre look deeper into it

some individuals on /rym/ hate me for some silly reason. Maybe it's my shit taste.

not yet but maybe Ujubasajuba would be *thinking emoji*

Yeah I know what you mean. 2.5 and 3 are "it was okay, I liked about half of it" in my opinion, but everyone's got their own way.

yeh! thanks

movin' on to big boy shit...gonna start tripping in /bleep/ from now on.

thanks ill look that up

Sort of. Say I wanna share some love and help promote an artist I like that only gets 200 ratings per album. I'm actually hurting them by rating 3.5, even though that means I, like, really liked it

Avey Tare- Down There (2010)
Its objectivly the 2nd best AnCo side project (behind person pitch). My only real problem with it is that it uses AnCo's tradmark bubbling water (bong rip?) samples. I fuckin hate those.
I don't know how to write a music review help me

I released an album of minimalist music, mostly for piano. This is the first album I've created by recording my playingon a digital upright piano and converting it to MIDI files; it allows me to experiment a bit more with things –which is why each piece has two versions.
It would be super appreciated if anyone listened and uber-appreciated if any feedback was given. Bear in mind the first track is the worst, so don't give up there –you can skip it if you must. The whole release is only 19 minutes. Thanks

thecutemusic.bandcamp.com/album/works-1-3

yeah, i get what you're saying.

i've been trying to sort my ratings system recently for the opposite reason, since albums i like that are lower rated don't get affected at all because my rating system is ridiculously inflated from when I added my whole library in one day without much thought. think i've just about got it sorted but i can't really be bothered going back and re-rating albums

gonna get a cup of tea and i'll give it a listen

My boy played my album for a class of middle schoolers and hey we're pissed because it's not hip hop

Nice dude! I'm jealous, ngl. Still hoping one of mine hits the front page eventually

let that be a lesson for your sophomore release and add some acoustic trap beats

I'm taking notes. LP2 will be for everyone

Needs:
trap influenced beats
Samples of City Pop and Nina Simone
Icy Minimal Synth jams
Solo drum improv
Field recordings of dogs, circuses and shortwave number stations
Breaks made using Stochastic music

Yes all these
Water Synths
Pinkerton samples ("SO TIRED" and "GOD DAMN YOU HALF JAPANESE-)
A song dedicated to Cal Chucesta
Hentai samples
Future Funk

le

Free jazz drumming
Bass and trombone as the only other instruments
Vocalist scat singing

Please tell me this hasn't happened yet

write a manifesto on it.

It was a good review and captured my feelings about the record exactly. I think you earned that spot.

New OP image if anyone cares

here's the original

Miles Davis - Filles de Kilimanjaro (1969)
>post-bop

Davis' transitional album, his last true bop album and the first album that would ring in the jazz fusion of the later works. The first thing that pops out about this record is how damn groovy it is, a very heavy emphasis is placed on the rhythms, and Tony Williams' drum work is immaculate. It's got some great melodic tendencies as well. The melodic brunt of the record is given to the keyboards, rotated between Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea, who both keep the pieces grounded while Davis and Wayne Shorter solo their hearts out. The last two pieces are a bit too self-indulgent with their lengths and the solos, but the first three pieces are awesome, and being bloated isn't necessarily terrible when the music is this good.

3.0+

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I do want to make an album for dumb people

also
Songs About Fucking samples
lo fi hip hop
one post rock song

you already have

These were my thoughts exactly. I think this album has some of his best and worst work up until this time. The drumming is killer

Hey guys, new to /daily/ any tips on how to expand my taste a bit? I think it's pretty generic RYM-core. Maybe any recs? This seems like a bretty nice daily.
Here's my chart btw

Thanks guys :)

Boredoms

SHIT FORGROT TO FINISH THAT POST
...are good. Listen to Can

thanks! My advice: having boring opinions that people agree with easily.

TRAP

INFLUENCED

BEATS

for real tho add a noisy minimal synth somewhere in there. Love that shit.

thanks!

keep making these. They're nice.

bruh you like fishmans

I like Can, just forgot to add it to my chart, thanks though!

I like it

There's some good stuff on here, ++ for lemon kittens (btw /daily/-core is rym-core but you didn't hear it from me)

Nicolas Collins - It Was A Dark And Stormy Night
Lil Ugly Mane - Uneven Compromise
Joshua Abrams - Magnetoception
Oren Ambarchi - Live Knots
Jackie-O Motherfucker - Fig. 5

i approve of that chart

idk go listen to fuckin a day to remember or something that should do the trick

Hey guys. I always have a ton of music ideas floating around in my head, and I want to hear how interesting you think they'd be before I invest some time into songwriting.

What sounds more interesting to you:
•A really noisy, buzzing, aggressive noise-rock album that takes influence from avant-garde music. Think beefheart meets big black but with absolutely no blues roots at all. Also no-wave influence
•A pretty interesting singer-songwriter project that's mostly solo guitar. Melodies are introspective and emotional. Nick drake/elliott smith-ish
•A straight up weird experimental album trying to be as edgy and non-conformist as possible. Think early xiu xiu but without any roots in pop or post-punk

???

>•A really noisy, buzzing, aggressive noise-rock album that takes influence from avant-garde music. Think beefheart meets big black but with absolutely no blues roots at all. Also no-wave influence
>•A pretty interesting singer-songwriter project that's mostly solo guitar. Melodies are introspective and emotional. Nick drake/elliott smith-ish
0/10
>•A straight up weird experimental album trying to be as edgy and non-conformist as possible.
alright that should be cool
>Think early xiu xiu but without any roots in pop or post-punk
ehh..

oh also some recs
Luxurious Bags - Frayed Knots
Strapping Fieldhands - Wattle & Daub
Centro-matic - Navigational
Yussuf Jerusalem - A Heart Full of Sorrow

what the fuck is an introspective melody anyhow?

those are not music ideas those are aesthetics you wanna emulate, bucko

First one I guess. Second is generic bandcampcore and will get you nowhere, and edgesperimental music is a dead meme.

not sure how else I would share song ideas. just was interested in what seems like a better use of time

it's provocative

pop music is 98.666% aestethics tbf

we don't need two fucken trips around here good christ

>recs
k

The Pop Group - Y
Au Pairs - Playing With a Different Sex
Pierre Henry & Urban Sax - Paradise Lost

does that mean ur gonna leave

>edgesperimental music is a dead meme.
it's just time to recognize the old tropes of edge became tropes and find the next untapped, indecent, unholy somethings
like uh
?

but you're lowercase t

maybe i'll just drop trip if you're gonna be an unoriginal little boi
was...

The last track of this is something innit

Also RIP Pi, sorry for loss Hampus

Parson Sound - s/t
PiL - Metal Box
Grazhdanskaya Oborona - Russkoe Pole Eksperimentov
Pere Ubu - Terminal Tower: An Archival Collection
Joe Meek - The Alchemist of Pop
Phil Spector - Back to Mono
Index - The Black Album

I rec: rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/сховайся/

succccccc

You like flying saucer attack so you're a winner in my book. Check out Stella Luna - Stargazer

sorry for your loss*

le fug :DDDDDDD

is this loss

| ||
|| |_

all those are dumb :')

>getting memed out of your trip like this
weeweewowow

Animal Collective - The Painters (2017)
>neo-psychedelia, psychedelic pop

Better than it's parent album that's for sure. Still an EP full of totally nondescript psych pop, but it's not irritating like Painting With, and the band pares back on their gimmicks, with the overused hocketing only making a single appearance. "Kinda Bonkers" has grown on me, the lyrics are still stupid as fuck but I like the middle eastern influence and it's not quite as suffocating as anything on Painting With, it's a lot airier and every element is actually given room to breathe, but it may boast one of Avey's worst vocal performances. The two tracks in the middle are /really/ forgettable, but "Jimmy Mack" is a really cool tune. It's a cover but they put their own spin on it, and the vocal performances are really energetic and fun. I can't judge this against their other EPs because I haven't even heard Fall Be Kind, but this is decent.

2.0+

Paul White - Accelerator (2017)
>experimental hip hop

The two tracks themself are pretty darn good. White is probably one of the most interesting producers working today, considering Hella Personal Film Festival and Atrocity Exhibition are my two favorite hip hop albums of last year, and he definitely does well with Danny Brown, one of my favorite rappers working today. The title track is a beast, it's got the same frenetic energy as "Ain't It Funny" and it's just a really grimy, abrasive, but still really hype track. "Lion's Den" isn't as good, but it's still solid, and I love the really over-the-top string samples. The instrumentals are a nice addition, but they're worthless, these tracks were meant to have Danny Brown on them and they just don't pack the same punch as they do with him. A slight disappointment, compared to the soaring heights of Atrocity Exhibition, but still good.

2.5+

if youmst niggas actually think i would........

hmm'st'dve'nt

Have you heard the Danny Brown collab with Black Milk? It's worth a listen

i haven't, no. i'll check it out!

I'm not really a good guy to be giving any criticism since this isn't the kind of music I normally listen to at all, I think both versions of Work No 2 are probably the best of the bunch, can't really describe why but just wanted to say it's nice anyway

Thanks, glad you liked it.

Art Blakey - A Night In Tunisia (‘61)

First of all, this lineup is ridiculous. Blakey on the drums, Morgan on the trumpet, Shorter on the Sax and Bobby Timmons rounding out their sound on the piano. Man, that’s like the dream team right there. Everybody on this album sounds absolutely terrific but Blakey takes the cake. His drumming is so absurdly tight but it’s also powerful, dominating the sound of this release. Definitely some of the best I’ve heard from him.

The album kicks off with the 11 minute title track, which is far and away the highlight. For the most part, it’s just tight hard bop with Shorter and Morgan trading off solos and Timmons kind of bouncing around on the piano. But about halfway through, Blakey bursts through with this absurd, chaotic drum solo. He’s splashing cymbals, hammering away on the toms and just flying through this track. I’m not describing this well but it sounds like there’s two or three drummers at moments, there’s just so much going on. The drums eventually fade and it’s all capped off by this bluesy tradeoff between Morgan and Shorter. Really tight track.

The rest of the album kind of turns into a standard hard bop release. “Sincerely Diana” is super upbeat and groovy, with less soloing from Blakey and more from Shorter. Though Blakey has about a minute on his own. “So Tired” is a bit off-kilter - I definitely wouldn’t call it avant-garde but it has a bit of a weird flair to it that I quite liked. The last two are pretty straightforward - “Yama” serving as the most ballady cut and “Kozo’s Waltz” closing the album in hard bop style. All the soloists are pretty entertaining but I was most surprised by Timmons - I hadn’t heard much from him before.

Anyway, this was great. I’d highly recommend it to anyone interested in Blakey - especially that title track.

4/5

oh baby look whats next!!! LOOK!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA