/classical/

Post your favorite Wagner.

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6JQm5aSjX6g
youtube.com/watch?v=VxzY3tFTz9k
youtube.com/watch?v=ueGb_CIt7DE
youtube.com/watch?v=vLkg-duiFsE
youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg
youtube.com/watch?v=xweAry37KUg
youtube.com/watch?v=VOVF-33A9HI
youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM
mediafire.com/file/d31sr9dfutxnll3/(schoenberg, 1950) style and idea.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=7pTaH8USQH4
youtube.com/watch?v=196HJ7IFpUs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

richard

>retards forget to bump the thread AGAIN
wtf i didn't spend months trying to revive /classical/ just so you guys can kill it

you fucked up by not putting /classical/ in the subject field, dumbass

>manlet crossdresser neckbeard who is, lol, a crazy christian nationalist anti-semite

Being Wagner must have been pathetic.

oh yeah, nvm im dumb

btw post your favorite Schoenberg guys

I agree, being the greatest composer alive at the time must have sucked.

we're talking about wagner, not brahms

Brahms is just a rehash. Wagner pushed music forward.

Any young hip soloists/conductors i should be on the look out for?

>being the greatest composer alive at the time
[citation needed]

>opera
>pushed music forward

heh

They're called music dramas.

The only good operas are Italian operas.

lol

>crazy christian nationalist anti-semite
nothing wrong with that

no they're called Gesamtkunstwerk

Untrue but understandable opinion

favorite Wagner is probably the final act of Gotterdammerung.

no, no sonatas yet. i'm sure Staier will do a set eventually and i'm sure it'll be quite good, like just about everything he records.

he did do a very good diabelli variations, however.

there are some HIP Chopin recordings out there, but i haven't found any that i particularly liked. i listened to Olejniczak for instance, it's apart of that big 30CD set where it's all HIP. you can find it pippo9's blog.

i found it to be kinda boring. inoffensive, but not really interesting.

Holy shit, this may be my favorite recording of all time

Tony Duggan really likes that one

never heard it myself, pretty satisfied with my Martinon

It's in the second mega link, in case you wanna listen. I mean Horenstein is the classic but this one not only beats it in sound quality but the performance is something to behold. I like how most conductors are really scared of this symphony - most go through the cycle before recording this one - and I can see why; they most usually get overpowered by the symphony.

I feel it takes a really physically powerful man not to fall off from the podium before the first movement ends. However, Bychkov seems to be the one with the strength to dominate such a mountain of a symphony, and with such grace.

sure, i'll give it a listen soon enough. i like Horenstein's too, but i never quite liked the recording quality at all. the founder of Unicorn records lost the mastertape forever ago, and the digital transfers of it were made from second hand sources. that isn't to mention that the recording venue was less than optimal, Fairfield Hall wasn't able to fit all the forces required, so they chopped off the front row and the orchestra spilled over into the left and behind. made for a very strange balance.

>I like how most conductors are really scared of this symphony
while the 3rd is intimidating, from the Mahler conductors that i've heard from, there seems to be a consensus that the 6th and Das Lied are the hardest to conduct. especially the rhythm in Das Lied where you have 4-against-3-against-2, 6-against-5-against-4, or 9-against-six-against-2. Mahler himself said that he had no idea how to conduct it and wrote to Mengelberg saying so, heavily implying that he wanted the latter to conduct it instead.

Brahms was cutting edge son. His cello sonata changed the game, just one example.

that's a weird way to spell russian

The third might not be the most intellectually challenging of the cycle, but it's probably the one that needs a mountain man to stand its tension.

>Mahler himself said that he had no idea how to conduct it and wrote to Mengelberg saying so, heavily implying that he wanted the latter to conduct it instead.
Mahler had a bad beat if I remember correctly

Wagner was about average height for the time, and antisemitism was normal for that time and region. Everyone hated jews all throughout time, its only after the holocaust that antisemitism become unfashionable.
Wagner was neither crazy nor a crossdresser, and nationalism was common in all countries and people, certainly not out of place for the time.

Wagner was also a master composer, orchestrator and visionary opera designer, hugely influential, and in many peoples eyes the high point of tonal music, so high that the early 20th century composers decided tonal music was over after Wagner.

Great album

>Post your favorite Wagner.
{}

I don't think Wagner has a work called Open Curly Bracket Closed Curly Bracket

SHUT THE FUCK UP

faggot

>create the bedrock for the art of film scoring
>Make a cycle of operas which was essentially the star wars of its era, with musical motifs shared across the different stories to unify them
>first major composer to establish that you can go dissonant and stay dissonant, paving the way for jazz, metal, and atonal music

well film music, star wars and metal suck tbf

Well, Wagner made a decent living during the second half of his career, most of the populace seemed to like his operas, he seemed satisfied with his work, and he triggered Clara Schumann. Isn't that the most any composer can hope for?

Literally none of what you've listed is good lmfoa
Wagnerianfags on suicide watch smfh

faggot

please dont bully Prokofiev

I think Lt Kije is the only film whose score is more famous than the film itself

>no they're called Gesamtkunstwerk

Now, my German isn't great, but shouldn't that be Gesamtkunstwerke?

Höller shit!

ok i'm back to classical, this time i want to get into romanticism, where should i start?
rec composers, pieces and recordings pls

ok i'm back to classical, this time i want to get into romanticism, where should i start?
rec composers, pieces and recordings pls

pic unrelated

youtube.com/watch?v=6JQm5aSjX6g

I NEED THE FULL EDITION OF THIS BRANDENBURG CONCERTOS RECORDING

I can't find one to top it anywhere else on the internet, and it is missing the second movement!

It is missing the majority of it, the work is much longer than that. It's also a terrible shitty performance, if you want a similar style try Benjamin Britten's version, should be more easily found than that crap.

>You're telling me this is high test?
absolutely, such generosity , laconism, such clarity, it's the epitome of God the father.
Or perhaps you believe naive bourgeois dreams about powerful figures have anything to do with the ultimate man? Those were the true aristocrats, men of power who understood heavenly virtue, unlike that sickly neurotic and his herd of followers. He was 'romantic' for a reason, for he sought something that wasn't, couldn't be a part of him anymore so he tried to imagine it, unfortunately his imagination consisted of bourgeois aspirations entirely.

youtube.com/watch?v=VxzY3tFTz9k

Gustav Leonhardt playing the harpsichord solo from Brandenburg Concerto, No. 5 in the 1968 film Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach, where he played the part of JS Bach, both musically and dramatically.

What a talented man.

romanticism sucks
but if you insist, Schumann (Dichterliebe, Symphony no. 2); Anton Bruckener; Chopin; Scriabin (avoid other russian composers, not enough refined)

The ending of Rheingold is probably my favourite, from Doner --> the conclusion
Yeah Rore is great. Thank you Venice.

Schubert's Winterreise and piano trios.

What are some good "heavy sounding" composers?

Names I have from previous thread (don't know if legit or not): Bruckner, Stravinsky, Mahler, J.S Bach, Ives, Bartok, Cowell, Carter, Schoenberg quartets, Bartók, Ligeti, Rachmaninoff, Telemann, Liszt.
youtube.com/watch?v=ueGb_CIt7DE
youtube.com/watch?v=vLkg-duiFsE

I'm not the same guy, btw. Just curious.

>avoid other russian composers, not enough refined
Mussorgsky single-handedly started proto-impressionism and foreshadowed modernism

Petzold

youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg
youtube.com/watch?v=xweAry37KUg
youtube.com/watch?v=VOVF-33A9HI
youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM

that suite in G min sounds great, I must admit

Add Wagner to that list senpai

Welcome to the High test club

You're a faggot kek

Prokofiev dude. Try listening to all the ocrestral parts from the symphony for 3 oranges or whatever it's called. Real heavy stuff.

Have nothing to say: "ooga booga fagit".

as a plural, yes

>romanticism sucks
>posts Bruckner

Did you fall for CLT's memes?

>tfw Leonhardt is dead

Radical politics and eccentric behavior are hardly unusual in the classical music world.

is there a more powerful composer than dvorak

Schumann's Carnaval, Chopin's Preludes and Etudes, and basically any lieder.

>Brahms is just a rehash.
fuck up on and out of here user-KUN brahms is the greatest of all time you don't need to "push music forward" or whatever bullshit to be the best,

How's Nodame Cantabile's live version vs the anime version?

I like the manga version better

wagner

>Brahms is just a rehash. Wagner pushed music forward.
Schoenberg's lectures and essays including "Brahms the Progressive" fresh from reddit. mediafire.com/file/d31sr9dfutxnll3/(schoenberg, 1950) style and idea.pdf

youtube.com/watch?v=7pTaH8USQH4

I don't appreciate the amount of anime I've seen in /classical/ as of late. I expect reform.

only because monteverdi, verdi, and puccini are outstanding

What are the differences betweens the adaptations and manga?
IIRC, the adaptations don't include the childhood side-stories (Chiaki with Viera, Nodame being a shitty child).

Better voice acting

i like prokofiev

Did SDF kill himself?

No, only monteverdi.
Verdi and Puccini make me puke.

hopefully

Buxtehude, Schutz.

yes, thank you

why do avant-teens jerk off over obscure Bach performances so much?

Listened to this about 3 times, i dont see whats so hype about Bartok

Who are you favorite composers?

ockeghem, morales, villa lobos, xenakis,
schoenberg, messiaen, palestrina, liszt

ive only started getting serious into classical about a year and a half ago so i dunno if im still new

because they have cool covers

Which Mahler symphony is the best

>Asks generic question
>Snoop Dogg
how is your first time listening to classical?

Petzold

pic related was for the juice, i've already listened to his first and ninth

Again, how's your first time listening to classical?

Im genius think music all the time like next beethoven level shit no formal training but my improvs tho real talent probs next liszt too n shit if i take lessons like should i join a conservatory or will that throttle my latent polyphony im in my mid 20s will train real hard neet word k

again, i've listened to Mahler and other classical Composers before so i would see that you resign from your fruitless attemp at belittlements

Any recommended stores for LPs?

youtube.com/watch?v=196HJ7IFpUs

I want to compete with this guy.

>Puccini
>outstanding
>underrating Rossini and Mozzart

Is it possible for a performer to have a superior interpretation of a composer's work than the composer himself?

For example, are the Shostakovich recordings of him playing his piano concertos the definitive interpretation?

The live action version is easily the best

I call them faggots at every opportunity

He was the only good thing about this general and ergo the only good thing about this board