Do antidepressants work?

Do antidepressants work?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WQeRG72E3OM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

in my experience no. they are useless and they just are a waste of time and money

Serj doesn't think so.
youtube.com/watch?v=WQeRG72E3OM

They are like alchol or tobaco.
You are happy as long are you don't stop taking it

SSRIs? Odds are they won't
Tricyclic? Maybe, you might gain or lose 50lbs. And go insane
>I'M NOT A ROBOT

I use a anti anxiety/depression pills works for me but ive been on them since 2012. If not i would have killed my self ages ago

Unfortunate, I'm think its time I see a doctor soon regardless and start trying to get out of this never ending shit fest. I haven't been happy in years.
>suicide is a pussy way out

no, but exercise and benzos do

Fixing the things in your life that made you depressed is what works. Becoming depressed can take years, and so can becoming un-depressed.
Antidepressants are only for the worst emergencies imo.

no, just do MDMA and you'll be fine

my pills made it worse for me,like id get migraines and would be dizzy all the time. my depression has always been a matter of there is no point to continue but what keeps me going is all the people that bitch and whine when i talk about dying... like i still feel, and it hurts me when others cry over me....its the biggest guilt trip ever.

I've never used them, but a few people I know have been on them before. Some say they do work, but others say they don't. From what I hear some of them just kinda make you feel out of it and zombified. Doesn't really sound worth it to me.

In my experience they only keep me stable. I used to have horrible stress induced headaches which they got rid of immediately. In actually fixing your problems though you gotta do that the hard way. Antidepressants are only a short term fix. Taking escitalopram if you wanna know.

Are you retarded?
Benzos...

I've also considered this, but I've had friends go down the deep end after trying harder drugs so I'm kinda against it at the same time.

Some people think they don't work because they aren't skipping through sprinklers. The real way to tell is when you stop taking them, you realize how much better you were feeling when you were on them. I started taking them to help quit smoking. Realized I needed them for just going through life. They work great for me.

I can't drink on them which sucks but I found they completely eliminated my migraines also...
Still have bad social anxiety

Yes. If you get the right one. Some people need to continue them forever. Some just need it for a while to reset the neurotransmitter levels.

How much are you on?
I take 20mg a day of prozac

not for me anyways

For me right now I'm at the point where whenever I have a task to complete (homework, work, or even cleaning the house) I get anxious before even starting and when I try to get started it feels like my head is on fire. I hate being lethargic but I always end up putting shit off because of the headaches I get

They aren't magic pills and (in my experience) don't fix everything but can take away some of the misery of depression.

Yea that's just the hard work bit. I still have social anxiety but it's definitely improved. I hang out with people now and go out more. Just gotta keep pushing at it user.

for some people yes, but you have got to take them on schedule like your life depends on it, the people who are always "omg they are just a trick to take your money and make you suicidal" are people who tried them for two weeks and didn't take them as directed usually

they are designed to adjust the chemisty in your brain and they take a long time to stabilize, in some cases up to 6 months. and during that period it is entirely possible you will feel worse. so if you decide to take them really stick with it and your chances are good.

Remember, there are different kinds of antidepressants. They do different things and work on different parts of the brain. If one doesn't work, try the next one, or the next one. It's funny reading the comments here. A lot of bitter people complaining that they don't work. I really think you guys should give them another try, because you sound like miserable people. :-)

They work for a while. at one point i was on peroxatine then fluoxatine, and then sertraline. thye all lose effectiveness and you have to try new things. i was on them for over 6 years. i've been off them for about 5 months now and never felt better. i feel like i can see in colour again and the fog has lifted from my head. all the things i felt shit about simply went away or become no longer important in the grand scheme of things.

We have to find our own happiness in life and not be dependent on others. i sat around for 6 years waiting for someone to come along and make me happy when all it took was for me to get off my lazy ass and do something about myself.

Thanks annons I haven't seriously talked about my depression with anyone irl but you guys have me convinced. I'm gonna talk to my doctor this week and start going over a plan. I know I'm not the only faggot out there that's depressed as fuck and it's nice seeing some of you have been helped by them

I take Wellbutrin. It doesn't have the sexual side effects that some others have. But it is a different kind of anti depressant than Prozac. Prozac is an SSRI. Welbutrin is a NDRI.

Antidepressants that work fix a chemical imbalance in your body like your Depekote level.

If you don't have a chemical imbalance and just suffer from the normal 'life sucks QQ' bullshit that is typical in human existence then they wont work.

Actual Doctorfag here,

Antidepressants help, but aren't magic. Patients tell me it helps them feel motivated enough to make better decisions. Different antidepressants are right for different people, but I've had the best success with wellbutrin. It's in a different class from the tricyclics that some people have problems with (feeling weird, low libido).

I suggest you give it a try, and use the momentum gained to try to make some life improvements (whatever those are for you).

Good Luck!

I figured it was just the QQ bullshit for a while but I'm not so sure anymore, I have 0 motivation to do anything other than breathe, I've lost most of my muscle mass and am starting to gain weight and have become almost emotionless. I was not this way a few years ago and it sucks.

Thanks Dr. Faggot I'm feeling pretty motivated right now, here's to hoping it carries through until tomorrow

Antidepressants mellow you out, your "lows" don't go as low, and your "highs" aren't as high.

They allow you to stay relatively neutral and that allows you to work on your problems.

They don't magically make you better, YOU have to sort your shit out. Try to couple your meds with a psychiatrist to talk your shit out. If you can't afford the visits, your family doctor can subscribe them to you.

It may also take a couple of different medications before you find the right one. Stay in contact with your doctor, and let them know if you are still feel depressed or if it gets worse.

prescribe* derp

If you really want to get it done and think you wont follow through tomorrow call the police and say you feel like killing yourself. You will be placed in a psychiatric hold in your local psych ward for 72 hours. They will put you on the meds you need to be put on and get everything sorted out.

don't do it, this makes mustard gas