ITT anons first album

what was the first album you ever bought for yourself?

Same.

that one Avril Lavigne album with the black and red-ish cover.

this masterpiece

Not quite sure if this meets the OP's prompts but the very first CD that I can recall owning as my personal property was/is "No Need to Argue" by the Cranberries. The thing is scratched to shit but it still plays IIRC. Mom might have bought it for me; I had just won a CD player (the first one in the household IIRC) and even mummy probably understood that I needed at least one CD to be able to play on it.

I'm pretty sure I bought "Everybody else is doing it, so why can't we?", also by The Cranberries, with my own money, shortly afterward. I remember it being like 15bux or so. This was a few years before Napster.

I also had a set of like two dozen cassettes from very young childhood, many of which were either lost or liquidated in a Garage sale, but I don't think I ever bought any of these with my own money. I wasn't quite "into" music yet but if I had a thing of music that I knew how to play, I would do so. Titles included: the MC Hammer tapes, the Nylons (an acapella group that my cousin's family liked), The Simpsons Sing The Blues, Ace of Base - The Sign (I remember really liking this one), A Billy Joel tape, the Lion King soundtrack, and a few years later: Weird Al Yankovic - Bad Hair Day (I might have bought this tape from a kid in middle school for a few bux). Also a recording of jewish humor about the Plotnik diamond, "where are you?! / I'm in the front clo-set!", etc. I am not jewish. To my surprise, I still have most of the above tapes now that I actually check, but I know I off-loaded some tapes in a garage sale at one point.

I remember listening to metallica, i was 8 at that time, soonly enough i started listening to herbie and my mind just exploded. don’t let this post distract you from the fact that in 1996, Metallica threw the weakest metal ever, and plummeted a whole genre to the trash through an announcer’s table.

sophmore in high school detected

The first 3 albums:
Green Day - Dookie
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Nirvana - Nevermind
back in 1994

Prodigy - The Fat of the Land. I was eight.

What the fuck was i thinking

I bought this gem and Gorillaz Demon Days. A few months later I inherited an old Xbox with Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge burned on it. I was a weird kid. This is like 2005?

this

Hail to the Thief

buddy, this was released 10 years ago at this point

Cassette