ITT: Facts

ITT: Facts

Art music >>> popular music = (trad) folk

Herbie Hancuck is the god of Sup Forums

Yeezy yeezy yeezy just jumped over jumpman

EDM = hip hop = trap = crunkcore = kp0p = post-grunge = ska punk = electro-swing

Music is subjective

theneedledrop is the thinking man's way to discover good music

Fuck off Anthony

Radiohead songs are better without vocals

Hip hop is better without vocals

i'd watch theneedledrop way more if he'd just stop with the cal chuchesta shit

Black people don't make good music.

Seems legit.

Electronic music > guitar music

Nirvana is the worst grunge band ever

that's true
he was better back when he didn't embrace the memes

Instrument produced music>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>computer produced music with DAWs.

(Note: Physical synths count as an instrument.)

A DAW twiddler calling themselves a musician or producer is much like a "pro" League of Legends player calling themselves an athlete.

brit pop isn't even british, nor is it popular

Aphex Twin doesn't actually have a twin

Sup Forums is a shitty place to talk about music and only good for memes

Why does it matter what the music was made with? the end result is all that matters.

Of course he doesn't, he's the twin, duh.

If you found out [insert your favorite painter here] stenciled their most famous work from an off the shelf stencil library, would you have the same respect for it?

Maybe you would, but composition (actual composition, not just cutting and pasting samples), musicianship and skill have always been an important part of music.

Rock has its roots all the way back to the blues. Blues = black people. Das racist OP

Boards of Canada aren't canadian, they also don't pursue skateboarding as a hobby

You spelled his name wrong :(
But it's true nonetheless

the difference is generally pretty obvious

How is combining and layering samples not composition? The majority of rock music is made with preexisting notes in preexisting scales. How is combining those any different than combining preexisting samples?

Symphonic metal is the gayest genre of music ever recorded

>the difference is generally pretty obvious

This as well.

Instruments, especially acoustic instruments, will always sound worlds better because it's an actual sonic event, without any processing, amplification, or reliance on a transducer (speaker).

Aphex Twin, Autechre, OPN's music will always sound like "shit." There's just no way around it. Yeah, you might not be able to tell the difference on a pair of ATH-50s between a drum machine snare and a real drum snare, but there's no comparison between a real drum vs. a drum machine through a mixer and transducer when heard in real life.

Sup Forums doesn't even have good memes

manlet detected

It's not composition. It's collage.

What does a DAW twiddler actually write?

I get why people defend it. You can become a "musician" without having to devote hours and hours to learn just one instrument, low cost, low maintenance, and low learning curve. It's why bandcamp and soundcloud is flooded with a giga-ocean of mediocre shit.

I respect the rock musician more. He at least has to play those notes and scales (and no, I don't respect rock musicians who have session hitmen cover for them in the studio).

Fact: I'm hungry and I'm about to order some pizza. And no, I'm not sharing.

Rock is a pretty expansive genre though op
>MFW I can't tell if your an edgy 13 year old angry at there dad from tumblr or if your a 70 something conservative

>It's not composition. It's collage.
Sound collage is a specific thing, not a term for anything made using samples. SILY and Edtroducing are collages and inherently inferior to rock music?

>How is combining and layering samples not composition?

To meet you half way on this point, I'll applaud the way turntablism (with real turntables and records) does this, since the artist actually has to perform something in order to achieve his vision.

With DAW production, there's no pressure in that regard. No demanding 100 takes to nail that solo (or nail it live), vocal, etc.

metal in general is pretty gay desu
you might just not be gay enough to pick up on how deeply engrained leather daddy shit is in it

This i can agree to.

>SILY and Edtroducing are collages

See

>I'll applaud the way turntablism (with real turntables and records) does this.

And those are two of my favorite albums. I just dislike DAWs (and autotune and even session musicians) because there's no pressure on the "artist" to learn a skill or to perform that skill on demand. The technology (or a more skillful performer) ostensibly wipes their ass for them.

>End result is all that matters.

Music seems to be the only art where we accept this. If we found out Picasso didn't painted his work from a stencil he didn't create, they instantly lose their appeal.

Part of art appreciation does go beyond just the aesthetic. Or you can say performance is a part of the aesthetic (i.e. a great guitarist or pianist flawlessly hitting every note of a difficult piece).

>Music seems to be the only art where we accept this. If we found out Picasso didn't painted his work from a stencil he didn't create, they instantly lose their appeal.
Did Picasso create his own brushes?

He didn't

>If we found out Picasso didn't painted his work from a stencil he didn't create, they instantly lose their appeal.
So does that mean cover songs are automatically void of artistic merit?

>Did Picasso create his own brushes?

False analogy. Hendrix didn't make his own guitar, either.

A more sensible comparison really is collage to painting.

Samples arranged (in this case, cut outs from magazines, newspapers, etc) vs. the actual thinking up of your entire concept and physically having to execute it (painting an original work).

I mean,

>A more sensible comparison really is collage to painting.
Not really, since collage is a valid art form.

Try again

>I mean,

>So does that mean cover songs are automatically void of artistic merit?

I would say they have more performance merit than artistic merit, if said artist knocks out an amazing cover.

End of the day, though, an artist isn't typically celebrated for their covers. You think the Beatles go anywhere if they stuck covering Duane Eddy?

I'm talking about technique. Obviously DAW produced music is "art." A teenage girl writing bad poetry is also art.

>Kids are painting in kindergarten

Yeah, and look how shitty it looks compared to the same little kid making something out of pre-cut samples.

Pretty much anyone can do pic related in the above (yeah, the arrangement is clever). Comparatively speaking, there's only a few people who can actually paint and not have it look like a by numbers job.