/prod/

New /prod/uction thread, get in here.

Useful info/resources: pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

Post your stuff on clyp, no Soundcloud self-promotion.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/3lfo4muz
clyp.it/gvdrauxf
clyp.it/2e0eazzn
factmag.com/2015/09/10/how-to-make-a-legowelt-track/
clyp.it/u5jafu2t
clyp.it/dfxywedl
youtube.com/watch?v=GtHe4bc4q70
clyp.it/03pjbrm2
youtube.com/watch?v=LVVpj-JTvh0&feature=youtu.be
clyp.it/kev44pgh
youtube.com/watch?v=GBSNaAGE_Rw
clyp.it/3pnbn1k4
youtu.be/ZGVFKhbinrM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lol

is that cubase?

what's so funny about that pic?

Am I a worthwhile human being?

> clyp.it/3lfo4muz

clyp.it/gvdrauxf

Posted this last thread just before it filled up, looking for thoughts on how to progress it and if I am finally free of sample packs

Thank you

thought this was going to be masturbatory sound design-y trap but it was pretty cool. As much as I don't think it should become that, I feel like it could use a more significant bass, like a lp'd saw or something.

also,
>3lfo4muz
is a pretty good get

I'll try that out, cheers!

And holy shit, yeah. Whoa.

I have the skeleton of a sample based thing mapped out, whatya think?

clyp.it/2e0eazzn

Really nice sounding, really nice transitions (esp. Into the horns for the second time)
I'd love to hear it with drums if you're planning on going that route

Just watched this:

factmag.com/2015/09/10/how-to-make-a-legowelt-track/

His workflow is really interesting, basically he assembles a load of samples/loops etc in Ableton, then at 11:40 starts playing the track and mutes/unmutes each clip when he thinks it should be playing.

Anyone else make tracks like this? It's so far removed from how I work but I think it's really interesting

interesting, that's how I do it as well. I'll have like 10 different loops in the beginning and then play around by muting tracks etc.

>2017
>still no smell TV
thanks god

which artists do you guys look up to in terms of production?

yeah. I guess the design will go full cuby loops with the next version

I've got a theory question, I know this isn't the thread for that but I'd really appreciate some help
What scale am I working with? It's a melody on top of a C# and a C flat chord with the third removed. Is it just a C# major scale or can it be something else?

What's the easiest way to produce a natural-sounding guitar/drum sound?

record your guitar and drums in a good sounding room

post a short clyp of you playing it because what you're describing makes no sense

reminds me of thriftworks in a big way, interesting vibe

Luke Vibert
he's always on point, no matter what he does

clyp.it/u5jafu2t
the reason I'm asking is because I'm doing different stuff with the C# major scale but it doesn't mesh. I just want to figure out which scale I'm in

Theory tip number 1: you can't have "C#" and "Cb" at the same time. The note letter is always represented only once.

So if you have a C# chord, and you're calling it C#, the other chord is not Cb, but B. If you have a Cb chord, and you're calling it Cb, the other chord is not C#, but Db. It might seem pointless but it actually helps you a lot when things get confusing.

From what you're saying. This is what I can guess.

C# = C# E# G#
Cb (no III) = Cb Gb
Obviously this labeling is wrong as we have two C's and two G's so let's try calling one C# and the other B, and work within that naming system.

C# = C# E# G#
B (no III) = B F#
now let's arrange them in order and find the missing notes

C# E# F# G# B
ok so we're missing A and D and our formula as it stands has one half step from E# (which is really just another name for F) to F#. What i would do is try A and A#, and D and D# and see which notes work better for your song. The C# Major scale isn't exactly going to work if C# is your root note because C# major has B# and your "Cb chord" is actually B and F#.

That being said you need to make sure C# is actually the root because it will help you realize where the other halfstep goes in your formula. There are usually always 2.

What's a good minimal setup for making electronic music? no laptop plz

100% Clarence Clarity
I'm convinced he's the most talented and unique electronic artist working today

Is guitar really a dead instrument?

yes

Hey fellas, I posted this in the last(?) thread and got some good advice and now the track is really taking shape. I'd love to hear some thoughts

clyp.it/dfxywedl

After that last snare hit the song's going to shift into more of a 4/4 blast-beat kind of feel

budget?

no
youtube.com/watch?v=GtHe4bc4q70

$1500

No but musicians need to learn to use it sparingly
Like most instruments, it has times where it shouldn't be used

its studio one

clyp.it/03pjbrm2
New one rollin out watchu think?
Feedback? Tips?

that clicky thing at ~22seconds hurts my ears

pretty cool otherwise but songs without lyrics are like sandwiches without bread

>but songs without lyrics are like sandwiches without bread
Get out

Reminds me a lot of Become Death by Clarence Clarity, in a good way.

For being 10 days into Ableton this sounds pretty good, keep it up.

Thanks man! I'm a huge Clarence Clarity fan so I appreciate that a lot

It's funny, back when I was using Logic there were a lot of things I was trying to do that Clarence Clarity did like extreme layering and relentless glitching but it was only once I heard No Now did I really find a vocabulary to make that sound the way I had been imagining it

sorry,
*that Clarence Clarity ended up doing

you're just mad that I share an opinion that 90% of humans also happen to agree with, and that I admit it shamelessly on a board which thinks "if many people think so, it must be inherently wrong"

I don't have time for your instrumentals unless they are incredible. If all it has to offer is "a chill vibe", I don't care. I never want that feel.

Talkin about the high-hat type thing? I hear ya

I'm not that guy who responded to you and I haven't even heard what he posted, your opinion was just bad and you should feel bad

If this is what you really think then you're in the wrong place my friend

>I don't care. I never want that feel
woah dood u must listen to music that's sooper deep

tfw 10% master race

FL piano roll >>> any other piano roll
THE FACT

(you)

>i5 or i7 5xxx or newer
>minimum of 8gb ram, tonnes more if you want to use huge sample libraries/kontakt/vsl/orchestral stuf
>os and programmes ssd
>2x3/4tb hdd, good ones like wd black or gold in a raid1 for project files, samples, everything you work on
>external drive the same size of your raid to backup your stuff to, automate it to be weekly
>a good monitor or two
you should still have at least $400-500 left after that for a gpu if you really want to play games on your music computer, if not I'd invest that in an audio interface and speakers or something like that

>being such an incompetent musician you have to literally draw in notes with your mouse
wew

> your opinion was just bad and you should feel bad
Not really.

Writing a good melody is like discovering water on the moon. Writing a lyric that properly resonates and defines the ambiguous tones is like using that water to create an ecosystem you can live in. Are there amazing instrumental songs? Absolutely. I listen to tons of classical music and there are rock instrumentals that blow my mind. That being said, people who tend to make current, popular styles of music ("chill beats") without adding a vocal element always strike me as missed opportunities at best and sheer cowardice at worst.

So let me clarify. "chill, electronic music" that has no lyric or vocal element is usually incredibly boring to me and i think most songs benefit immensely from even the sparsest of choices. It's also a trend I see more often than not and when I find a song on here with lyrics I almost always am delightfully surprised.

>his music isn't physically impossible to play with human hands
Honestly just log off now

>triggered that no one will ever care about his "chill beats" or ever listen to them a second time
>making disposable music
>ever

What is it with this idea that the alternative to music with vocals is "chill beats" and "chill beats" only? What a pathetic worldview

this is overwhelming at high volume

i dont care really

those posts are all different people. also i make music because i enjoy it, not because i care how many people listen to it

are you going to post some of your unforgettable lyrical masterpieces that people definitely care about?

>I listen to tons of classical music and there are rock instrumentals that blow my mind. That being said, people who tend to make current, popular styles of music ("chill beats") without adding a vocal element always strike me as missed opportunities at best and sheer cowardice at worst.
oh so you're just one of those pretentious douches that has to try to objectively reason his preferences. just say you don't like electronic music lol, don't fart out some screed about how it's inferior

>musician
sorry, I don't play any instrument and don't need to.

>Writing a lyric that properly resonates and defines the ambiguous tones is like using that water to create an ecosystem you can live in
holy shit, you have to post some of your lyrics if this is how much of a fucking cornball you are

>just say you don't like electronic music
but i love electronic music you faggot

why are you all so fucking buttblasted at the thought that lyrics MIGHT ACTUALLY help your shitty songs? What a novel concept! Are you all just terrified of microphones or something?

>implying "ham and eggs, ooh baby how i love your legs" would still be a hit song because the melody is the same as "yesterday, love was such an easy game to play" and it's ONLY THE MUSIC THAT MATTERS

>but i love electronic music
ah, so you're just sucking your own dick over your ability to derisively throw around the phrase "chill beats" way to go you fucking lyrical miracle lmao
>no really, my taste is objectively correct
still waiting on those lyrics there, bob dylan

>the commercial potential of a song is the only reason to make it

what do you guys think of my new fire? :^)

youtube.com/watch?v=LVVpj-JTvh0&feature=youtu.be

didn't you see his other posts though? he's writing lyrics that RESONATE with you, they're like an ecosystem you can live in!

If you haven't heard Velocity Design Comfort, you should check it out too.

>ah, so you're just sucking your own dick over your ability to derisively throw around the phrase "chill beats" way to go you fucking lyrical miracle lmao
I'm just using that term to describe a style of music that is common around here. Did I imply I am a lyrical miracle because I advocate for the use of lyrics? Lyrics are important, and songs are often made memorable by them. That's just how it is.

>NO I LIKE MY FUCKING MUSIC THE WAY I MAKE IT FAGGOT I DONT CARE WHAT (((PEOPLE LIKE)))
that's fine. just trying to offer my opinion is all.

if you want to stand out on /prod/, add some fucking lyrics. Doesn't seem like a step anyone bothers with, and it often would benefit the songs, in my opinion.

>he's writing lyrics that RESONATE with you
heaven forbid

words and metaphors

can't hide behind my

*LONG AMBIGUOUS INTRO AND REVERSE EFFECTS FOR FOUR MINUTES*

clyp.it/kev44pgh
I'm not really sure where I'm going with this

I fucking love this. Are the guitars sampled? Never mind, I don't even care, they're awesome.

Pouring myself a glass of wine on a cool summer evening/10

I also like how bright your mix is, mine always come out a bit muddy and shitty and if I try to turn up the high freqencies my ears hurt.

>NO I LIKE MY FUCKING MUSIC THE WAY I MAKE IT FAGGOT I DONT CARE WHAT (((PEOPLE LIKE)))
disregarding the capitals and the Sup Forums brackets, what exactly is the problem with this sentiment? why would i make music in a way that i didnt like just because some people would like it?
>if you want to stand out on /prod/
i didn't say i did... i don't even really post clyps
>in my opinion
yes, that's all it is, now stop trying to shove down everyone's throat
but you will refuse to post any of your lyrics lol

I don't like lyrics in english

I do like lyrics in languages I don't understand

that way it's like another instrument

but that's like abusing the lyrical ecosystem!

but do you resonate from it

>what exactly is the problem with this sentiment?
nothing at all, and I honestly find it admirable. Please, continue making things you like. I'd be your IRL friend and would respect you for doing something as interesting as creating music in your spare time.

>stop trying to shove down everyone's throat
Did I do this? I said "songs without lyrics are like sandwiches without bread" and upon clarifying my opinion, got slammed by 9 faggots at once. I'm just talking here. You can easily ignore what I have to say if you don't like it.

>but you will refuse to post any of your lyrics lol
I don't see any of your "dank instrumentals" either, faggot.

>WHY AREN'T YOU POSTING SHIT THAT WE CAN MAKE FUN OF YOU FOR
>WE'RE ONLY BEING OPENLY HOSTILE TO YOU RIGHT NOW
>COME ON IT'LL BE A GREAT AND FAIR ASSESSMENT
nah, my need for validation is not as intense as it once was.

>being this triggered by a metaphor in conversation that you bring it up to people who aren't even involved in the conversational thread every chance you get
I'm sorry that putting a name to the nameless is a skill that you can't even begin to assess the value of.

>being so triggered that you have to pretend that it's actually the people laughing at you who are triggered instead of just making fun of the stupid things you say
for example: "putting a name to the nameless"

i've written lyrics before dude, you're just being hilariously pretentious about it and overstating its importance. there are entire genres and scenes based around instrumental music, nobody is benefitting from your "well have you ever thought about some LYRICS???" idiocy lol

I prefer my lyrics to be french women chanting stuff

Zeuhl is neat

Thanks a bunch man :) and no they're harp samples

Diggin your track too, I love the pluck that comes in over the bass and kick

Only thing I would say is try to beef up the low end of the kick, maybe try boosting from like 50-250 Hz. Also maybe try to lock down a consistent melody on the lead, it seems to meander a bit.

>"putting a name to the nameless"
Please explain why this is dumb. Choosing the right words for the music is an incredibly rare skill and often separates good songs from bad.

>there are entire genres and scenes based around instrumental music
they are very unpopular. popularity isn't everything, but many people want feedback and critique on their songs because they want people to listen to them. that's all i did. offer a criticism and suggestion. what have you done, in this thread? post "lol" a bunch? way 2 cringe.

>nobody is benefitting from your "well have you ever thought about some LYRICS???" idiocy lol
yeah but you're really mad about it and it's funny to me :^)

>reduces the position he kept advocating for to "lolol i was jus trollan u"
well at least you've admitted that you're just farting into the void... how's that for "putting a name to the nameless"? lol

>"you're overstating the importance of lyrics"

>the amount of popular songs in the past fifty years without lyrics can be counted on two hands
>"lyrics are not important"
k

your reading comprehension is bad

i'm not trolling you, you just seem triggered is all. and yes, it IS funny to me.

>how's that for "putting a name to the nameless"? lol
bretty gud metaphor for trollan desu 8/10
:)

why do you keep assuming that everyone here is trying to "make it" or "get noticed"? is that really all you're doing with your brian griffin-tier command of the english language?

Early 80s tapes and people who can get their music to sound like them. Like it astounds me that this dude was able to make this with 1 synth, a preset drum machine and a tapedeck.

youtube.com/watch?v=GBSNaAGE_Rw

>why do you keep assuming that everyone here is trying to "make it" or "get noticed"?
I'm not. I have said many times please make you what you like if you like it. But people ASK FOR CRITICISM and I say "lyrics would probably help your song it's pretty good otherwise just needs something else probably not more instruments but you could try lyrics i mean most people like lyrics you can tell by trends in music that people have gravitated to songs with lyrics so you could try some lyrics i think it would probably help your song which is otherwise pretty cool"

and then it's like anuddah shoah in here.

Thanks, it started out repeating the same 8 bars so I thought it might get a bit boring. My vision was some groovy noodling but that might take some more skill.

>more Sup Forums memes
also stop acting so well intentioned lol, we can all see your old posts like this one

i was told to "get out"

be hostile. receive hostile.

>we can all see your old posts like this one
all i see is blunt honesty desu
nothin wrong with that
also i clarified since then and have been more polite

you can keep crying about Sup Forums memes while you end every sentence with "lol" though you cringing fag. Either way, I'm done shitting up the thread and I feel bad that this conversation has gone on as long as it did. Have a good one :)

>being this gay

;)

>bashing "lol"
gen z detected, go study for a math test or something lol

rip thread

Could I get away with singing like this? I'm not sure if I'm out of tune. What do you think about the track overall? Feedback much appreciated.

clyp.it/3pnbn1k4

ask me how i know you're not from around here

Receptor

i dunno, if i had to guess i'd say it's because you're a Sup Forumsfag who tries to invent reasons why people don't belong here. what have you been here for like a year or two at most?

>clyp.it/3pnbn1k4
I enjoy it but I wish it was a little bit louder in the mix. Or maybe a little less wet. Doesn't have to be necessarily more "intelligible" but feels like it should be more...forthright or something. More direct. Almost feels like it's hiding a bit, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Either way though, absolutely workable and adds a nice texture.

by "it" i mean the singing, btw. sorry if that was unclear.

also, doesn't sound out of tune.

you can begin participating in the actual thread any time you know

>look at this clyp i gave feedback to, aren't i literally jesus?
sure you are, sport

I gave feedback to all clyps in this thread and helped a nigga out with his music theory herei'm still a piece of shit but what the fuck have you done? yell at boogeymen on the internet? let it go nigga

let it go

you fight like woman

Ignore the contents of the video; which machine drum was used in the background song? youtu.be/ZGVFKhbinrM