Regarding bandcamp, soundcloud, etc. threads

I know recently there's been some issues in these threads regarding lots of shilling (pic related) without giving much feedback. Now, I've been guilty of this myself, so I know I can't talk. But I was thinking a little bit about it today.

One of the best things an artist can do if they want to get their work out there is to talk with other artists and develop connections. Same with any other field these days, really. The artist you're connecting with doesn't even have to like your stuff, but I'd imagine they'd remember your project a lot better if they've have a back-and-forth with you for awhile.

Just my two cents on the matter, thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

hindley.bandcamp.com/album/love-raps
dearlaika.bandcamp.com/album/vision-of-st-cross
septemberlizards.bandcamp.com/album/it-takes-four-minutes-to-fall-in-love
augustopiccinini.bandcamp.com/album/xmas-album
epiglottis.bandcamp.com
drivemehomeplease.bandcamp.com/album/infinite-tsukuyomi
rosshudson.bandcamp.com/album/naked-as-light-2
brendanrincon.bandcamp.com/album/phases
thepaywalls.bandcamp.com/releases
evenoxen.bandcamp.com/album/arrayed-above-the-seraphim-lights
peterbark.bandcamp.com/album/solstice
jacobhutto.bandcamp.com/album/paw-paws-songs
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah that's the idea, but shills don't realize that they'll only get out what they put in. I was thinking about some ways to spread people's music beyond the threads, and one thing I think we should do is make a bandcamp chart with different sections like rap/hip hop, electronic, ambient/noise, etc. and spread it through the chart threads on here. We could also make a RYM list, or a youtube playlist, but whatever we do we need to actually participate and not just drop our links and leave.

I think all artists should fuck us if we want. That way, the rarest pussy...is the freshest pussy...

I love this idea - "Essential bandcamp-core".

Yeah since one of the problems I see is that we can only reach the same people who constantly post in those threads plus a few newcomers every once in a while, so I think it'd be a big help to reach a wider audience. Anyways, I'd really like to see this made, so either we should bring this discussion to the bandcamp thread or direct them to this one.

It's a shame that in every Soundcloud thread there's maybe 2 guys giving honest constructive critique and all the others are either doing "recs" as if that fucking helps anybody, not to mention the smug fuckers who just post their shit without replying to anyone else at all.
To improve the Soundcloud threads, these shitters need to be ignored.

I used to give feedback to those people hoping they'd join in on the conversation but lately I just ignore any posts that aren't at least reccing people

So this is what I have so far, top row is ambient electronic, then hip hop/rap, pop, indie/folk, experimental electronic/noise. Obviously this will be expanded, as this is just a sort of rough sketch.

As for guidelines on what we should add, I'm thinking only albums (so no demos/singles/live, maybe EPs but it depends), and everyone gets at most two spots. When I'm done getting the chart arranged I'll also add links to the bottom of the image.

This is a great start! Question: should we limit this to \mu\tants? I have an idea in mind, but I don't think the guy is definitely on here

I think it should be clear that this is from the bandcamp threads, not just bandcamp in general since you could make endless charts for every genre from bandcamp artists. Not to mention actually well known artists

hindley.bandcamp.com/album/love-raps (hip hop)

dearlaika.bandcamp.com/album/vision-of-st-cross (ambient/folk/noise?)

septemberlizards.bandcamp.com/album/it-takes-four-minutes-to-fall-in-love (very sweet pop)

augustopiccinini.bandcamp.com/album/xmas-album (experimental/noise)

Just the first few that came to mind that REALLY need to be on the chart, might come back and name some more.

Also another criteria we should have is that it be reasonably well done, just so the quality is consistent across the chart. Don't want someone checking out a half assed meme album on the chart and think the rest will be similar in quality

bottom row is going to be vaporwave and related electronic

thanks eric

epiglottis.bandcamp.com

A nomination from me for ambient/dark ambient. I personally need to check out more of his stuff, but from what I've heard today, he's p good

drivemehomeplease.bandcamp.com/album/infinite-tsukuyomi (bedroom synth)

rosshudson.bandcamp.com/album/naked-as-light-2 (quiet ambient)

brendanrincon.bandcamp.com/album/phases (analog pop, might be too short)

just some more thingys. Keep in mind i've seen all of this posted in /bc/ at least once

holy shit dude thanks

thepaywalls.bandcamp.com/releases

evenoxen.bandcamp.com/album/arrayed-above-the-seraphim-lights

I don't think we need multiple albums of one artist.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh damn! Thanks

Will be gone for the next hour, keep posting links and when I get back I'll finish it up

thanks for the help guys

peterbark.bandcamp.com/album/solstice

if we're including instrumental hip hop in the hip hop section, this is the best one.

Oh and this one is essential, hope the chart can be expanded sideways a little bit to fit this

jacobhutto.bandcamp.com/album/paw-paws-songs (indie folk)

Also, if its just one album per artist, can my album be The Anthill again instead of sky simplified? It has more effort put into it and will probably be liked more by people unintroduced to the bandcamp mythos.

you should prob add the death of pablo

Need one more noise/dark ambient and one more synth/electronic ambient

Do you think it's essential enough to replace progression since we're keeping it to one per artist?

bump

Oh yes definitely, especially since progression is a single for an upcoming album.

forgot chart

Maybe add windowlistener - descent? it's noisy/dark ambient, kinda glitchy tho.

But idk since he already has a release on the chart

put columnaris on there, everyone loves him!

Is this going to look better at some point

if it was one release per artist, I'd rather it be infection

I'm going to add links and a brief description when it's done, not going to ornament it with shadows and some texture behind it though

"north african groove" is a place holder since you can't just put in blank squares

woops wrong one

I did that at first and realized it seems that no one actually monitors the thread for some reason for when I give feedback. I've found that commenting directly on soundcloud gives returned feedback way more often than if I put it on the board.

So we need two more hip hop/rap, one more vaporwave/chillwave, one more pop, and three more electronic ambient

bump

going to be gone for a few more hours, if this thread is dead when I get back I'll just post the chart in the bandcamp thread and we'll continue from there

post it now desu

Thanks, breh!

Maybe throw Pagoda Mast in for harsh noise