Can country music still be authentic and relevant in this day and age?

Can country music still be authentic and relevant in this day and age?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DVSTUO7yx_g
youtube.com/watch?v=3umaLe37-LE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no

yes

what's more authentic than singing about how you like beer and pussy

is the human experience honestly really any deeper than that

Get with the times
youtube.com/watch?v=DVSTUO7yx_g

Yes

hahaha oh yeah forgot about weed

>is the human experience honestly really any deeper than that

it is.

country performers in the 1940s really were men as simple as they portrayed themselves to be.

country musicians today are using social networks for communication and know more about the world than even the most educated men in the 1940s did.
they are dumbing down the lyrical content on purpose, to *imitate* the country appeal, but its no longer authentic.

it may be hard for you blue state yankees to believe but there are vast stretches of the U.S. that are still wild and require a 4-wheel drive and have no wi-fi but do have wild animals that you'll need a gun to defend yourself against. factory towns with 1 women for every 20 men. so yes, songs about hard life and drinking your troubles away in the same work pants you've been wearing off and on all week are very relevant outside the populated coastal provinces. it's not the stuff that makes for great tv or movies but it's an honest life. try it sometime.

sadly, the suffering working class of america is not really listening to country (or blues, or folk). they just drink their troubles away or try harder drugs, vote trump -- and dont express themselves in any artistic way.

also, country was originally upbeat music about the joys of a simple life. its not the blues.

there's not much time left for art when your life is consumed by your work and country music is the "white man's blues." common knowledge.

you really think Toby Keith is smarter than his music would lead you to believe, huh?

this is such a special snowflake response

noone cares about your shitty country music, Jeb

>they are dumbing down the lyrical content on purpose, to *imitate* the country appeal, but its no longer authentic.

This is true of Ryan Adams and other alt country performers, but songs like "Red Solo Cup" don't really owe a whole lot to Hank Williams, nor do they seem to be trying to imitate his style.

i dont know much about that guy in particular.
if he is a major label employee that makes "target audience" country music, he is not authentic, by definition.

I swear to God I heard the strains of a lonesome fiddle while reading this silly shit

*spits tobacco onto the sidewalk*
Right on, brotha!
*hits on underage girls*
You hit the nail on the head
*beats wife and kids*

>he is not authentic, by definition

why can't a major label employee be authentic?

what if they're open about being a major label employee?

I'm just saying, Toby Keith is a rich dumbass who likes beer and pussy and who sings about being a rich dumbass who likes beer and pussy. He literally has a song where he's like "one time this girl wouldn't date me but now I'm rich as hell so screw her."

youtube.com/watch?v=3umaLe37-LE

Too self aware to actually be called "country"
He's too much of musical genius

dude, you stretch a tiresome clishe to fit your needs.

not him but toby's "madonna smart." he's got a keen business sense. that said, idk what tf happened to his music. he's a glorified jingle writer now but pre-9/11 toby ...you had to be there. boomtown and dream walkin are solid albums. a steady diet of red pills have clearly polluted his mind.

you are both making interesting point here, unintentionally possibly.
as soon as genres which rely on their authencity/simplicity become self-aware of their artistic and commercial appeal, they cease to be truly authentic and simple.

No one said country musicians have to be poor.
In fact, for every genre that is dark and/or about hardships, the most successful artists are, more likely than not, wealthy people.