MedFags needed

MedFags needed.

Cousin got beat the fuck up and wants to go to the ER but has kids and no one to watch them, In need of advice.

Got hit at jaw and neck, also behind ear. Feeling sick and jaw is stiffening. Areas also badly bruised.

Is it ER time?

Go watch his kids while he goes to the ER. Also tell him to stay out of trouble and think of his kids.

Was he hit at all in the head? And was a weapon used or just fists?

Go to the ER. Better safe than sorry. Take kids with him... someone at the ER will look after them.

he lives a few states away and this happened a few hours ago, all head /neck area and was all fists from what im hearing

sounds like something is broken, given the bruising / swelling

If he dies then there's nobody to watch them. He should go. They can probably just cowe with him if necessary.

i told him to go but he went silent so far, he does a lot

maybe he is?

Med student here, where he was hit behind the ear (mastoid bone) is where the pterygoid sinus lies, could potentially have ruptured some of the vessels there - I would recommend a trip to the ER just in case

Is no one going to comment on the fact that she's at a keyboard, with no monitor, just a printer. Pretending that shit is a typewriter.

imagine where a punch would land on the side of the face/neck, that area i imagine

ER/trauma x-ray tech here. I need more details if you want better advice, TBH.

Given what you've said though, if he was hit in the head and he's feeling sick, he might be concussed so taking him to the ER is probably a good idea. Of course, there are a lot of different reasons people feel sick after some kind of physically taxing event, and a lot of them aren't medical emergencies.

As for the jaw, have him bite down on a popsicle stick. If it's broken or dislocated he won't be able to put any force behind it the bite due to the pain. The stiffness doesn't really mean much. Think about a time you've hit your knee or wrist or something--it probably wasn't broken, but it got stiff from a little edema or bruising.

yes retard

thank you, ive been sending him all of the useful replies

Cousin gun get brain damaged

The popsicle thing is a really good indicator (something like 95% accurate). So good in fact, that they usually won't bother with getting x-rays of the mandible because they're often inconclusive. Popsicle stick--->straight to CT.

Don't hijack her imagination. She might be pretending it's the helm of the USS Enterprise. Stop stifling her creativity.

im sure it could save a few hundred (thousand) $

Why the fuck would he need to go to hospital that's all normal if youve been in a fight tell him stop being a bitch

Doctor here.
It's best to go to the ER.
>no I'm not going to take more history
>sorry I don't want your photos

>95% accurate
If you are an X-ray tech you should know that what you said wasn't very useful.
Is that 95% specificity or sensitivity? Or is it the PPV?

This guy's right. It's basically Russian Roulette if he has a head injury. The likelihood of it being life-threatening isn't as high as the likelihood of it being a superficial injury, but if that smaller chance turns out to be true, it's catastrophic.

I just looked it up.
95% sensitivity and 60-70% specificity based in ability to crunch tongue blades bilaterally.

That's a neat test. I'll remember that one, cheers.

>Feeling sick
symptom of a concussion, definitely needs to go

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. It's ~95% accurate in determining the presence of a mandibular fracture or dislocation. If he can't complete the test, then it means his mandible is probably fractured. Or to put it another way, you could say that ~5% of the time it will give you a false positive or false negative. As a tech, I'm not usually aware of the statistics behind these kinds of things. I just know what I see and what I've heard doctors tell med students when they do it.

Also, another way is to ask him if he feels like his teeth aren't lining up the right way.

Feeling sick is also a common symptom of getting your shit kicked in.

But yeah doctor again.
If your cousin wants to press charges and what not then an ER visit would also be very important for documentation's sake.

British girls are hot not smart faggot

Tell him to just go to bed and sleep it off. Take a bunch of aspirin and some advil first and he'll be fine in the morning. you fuckers a bunch of pussies who never took a punch before? man the fuck up.

That's not how NPV and PPV works dude.
I know the literal meaning of the things you said. I'm trying to tell you that accuracy is not a useful way of judging clinical tests. Sensitivity and specificity are the standard the world over.

That's a really good point that I hadn't considered about going to the ER to document the injuries.

This is quite possibly THE worst advice for a head injury that I have EVER read.

I'm not disagreeing. I probably just used the wrong word when I said "accurate." I probably should have said "predictive?" I dunno. Point is, if he can't bite the stick due to pain, it means there's probably something wrong and he should definitely go to the ER.

>British girls
>Hot

Pick one

ive sent him a lot of these responses, no response yet

I was referencing the tag on the photo
But touché you can't have it both ways

He died nigga

For future reference the important number for screening tests is sensitivity. And for the tongue blade it is indeed 95%.

But the test is only 70-80% accurate so it's _very_ misleading to say that (it has a fairly high false positive rate but low false negative rate).

No response, like he just hasn't answered, or no response like, he's unconscious? Is he there with you?

he's several states away

I see what you're saying. The doc that likes to do it at my hospital says it's a "good quick and dirty way to check for a fracture."

Then you have a dead cousin several states away

Probably not unless he was unconscious for some period of time. In this case, you have to worry about him having a concussion and should perhaps take him to the doctor (not ER, this isn't an emergency and the ER is expensive as fuck). If he wasn't knocked out and nothing really really hurts (broken jaw or nose) then he's probably in the clear. Some bruising and soreness is to be expected, but if he isn't having trouble breathing (could mean a crushed windpipe), then he'll be alright.

Might wanna send someone to check on him or at least get him to confirm his still-not-dead status. Are his kids old enough to answer a phone?

Who wants to play "what are the odds" that op is a faggot

>I have no idea what a base of skull fracture is
>I have never heard of raised intracranial pressure
>I have no medical training
>I have no idea what I'm talking about

Doctor here, this is what you sound like.

i have no idea where he is, just vaguley what state, or what family he knows. he just contacted me recently looking for family and after confirming all that we started talking.

his kids are really young so i doubt it, i just got his phone number today

my mother is an emt so that is why im concerned, i used to look at her school books a lot when i was a kid, kind of made the gore here normal

>my mother is an EMT
>that's why I can exclude serious injury in patients presenting with head trauma over the internet
I see