Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B7encWb7lNQ
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL842903EE2756130D
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the beatles and the rolling stones should be switched imo

Why have the Who aged so poorly?

Half of them are dead, that's for one

But legitimately, how do you mean? I don't like their early work but Tommy through The Who By Numbers are all great
and as performers of their age go, they're still kicking ass apparently.

They had a stupid sense of humor and wrote too many musicals.

fixed

Waterloo Sunset is the only Kinks song that is on par with the best works of The Who or The Beatles.

youtube.com/watch?v=B7encWb7lNQ

What about Strangers
That's one of my favorite songs ever

But really though, name a Beatles album with the same sense of cohesion as anything they did from Village Green through to Muswell Hillbillies. The Kinks were great on a macro scale.

Forgettable.

>name a Beatles album with the same sense of cohesion as anything they did from Village Green through to Muswell Hillbillies.
Every Beatles album from Rubber Soul forward. Also the "cohesion" of albums is a rockist construction that has plagued music criticism. The Beatles were better songwriters and musicians than The Kinks on all fronts.

this song makes me so happy
Animal Farm, too

for you

This wasn't a fix you just added to it.

The Kinks = The Who > The Beatles = The Stones

Fuck me that's funny. I love it. GG man.

But I was actually gonna go with someone else..

>sent this to a dadrocker friend
>got pic related back
Well played I guess

The Beatles had MORE songwriters than The Kinks, this can be taken as fact.
Cohesion could be just a buzzword, but there's something to be said about having great album after great album where each one is centered around a strong central theme where each song adds to the strength of the whole.

You could put the White Album on shuffle and the only difference would be that you wouldn't know when exactly you'd have to press skip on Revolution 9.

Get on my level, boys....

You posted all of those bands in the reverse order.

can we just talk about the Kinks literally even once
does the world need more Beatles and Stones

Almost
The Kinks > The Who > The Beatles > The Stones

I'd like this
The Kinks are probably my favourite band tbqh

do you even like Preservation I and II?
...I do
...I shouldn't

Schoolboys in Disgrace was better than I expected, though. Whoever called for that cover shoulda been shot.

I actually do quite like Preservation I and II
It's not on the same level as their Village Green to Muswell run (every album there is a 9 or 10 out of 10 for me)
I guess I'm biased tho lol
I'm indifferent to Schoolboys. It's not terrible really, just not really special or anything. And yeah, that cover is shit

Exile on Main St. > The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society > Any other album by any of those artists.

It just seems like they've been forgotten. Obviously everyone remembers the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, and the Kinks still have a good reputation in more "indie" circles, but no one really gives two shits about the Who anymore

>Exile on Main St.
> The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society
The two albums not talked about nearly enough on Sup Forums

I agree, user. Two of the best albums of all time.

Mein negroes. Preservation I and II are fantastic, Sweet Lady Genevieve is, to me, on the same level as Waterloo Sunset, and Introduction to Solution is amazing. As a matter of fact, both albums have incredible songs (maybe they'd be better if it was just one album with some cuts) and should be more valued. I'm really getting into their mid to late 70s albums now.

>trips
>uses it to rep the Bee Gees

flawless

Why is it that so many fags act like The Beatles weren't the most influential rock band?

>Another early BeeGees fan

I like you already, my man.

I do have a perverse love for Preservation, some good songs, but it is VERY fluffy. I liked that Schoolboys was more... Condensed. Coherent. There wasn't a lot of unnecessary bullshit going on (unlike most of Preservation Act II)

But the themes going on in Preservation are like, shockingly relevant to present-day America. I guess they're pretty general, but still. I wish I could talk to my friends about this "bloated capitalists cause hatred and mistrust of establishment, allowing a power-vacuum where a manipulative powerhungry outsider can thrive" shit without them hating the flowery dixieland jazz arrangements involved.

Check this out.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL842903EE2756130D
Recording of a live performance of Preservation. No video (I don't believe any exists) but allegedly they did it in proper theatrical style, and you can hear that between a more upbeat live arrangement, and some serious culling to get the fluff out of the way, it really comes together pretty great.
I wish there was video, and I wish there was a higher-quality recording, but it sounds like it would have been a hell of a show to see. And that's what all the old-timers who saw it say, actually.

Every one knows ABBA is the ultimate pop band, these "Kinks", and "Beatles" are crushed under the great love songs of these Swedish Gods