Which guitar player has the most unique/instantly recognizable solo playing style?

Which guitar player has the most unique/instantly recognizable solo playing style?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w-NshzYK9y0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1QBXi7EtQiE
youtube.com/watch?v=WSbjNWPAMdo
rateyourmusic.com/list/warpigcat/allan_holdsworth___i_knew_that_he_plays_on_many_albums_but_look_here____/
youtu.be/k8t45eCC0zM
youtu.be/TjE896B2QUE
youtu.be/_RC6XSAZwOs
youtu.be/71pPCjIS4P0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Eddie Van Halen.
In the vast sea of dipshit shredders, you can always spot Eddie.

Kurt cobain

You know I'm right

came in here to say this
and Hendrix

gilmour

Albini

Thurston Moore/Lee Ranaldo

J Mascis

Hendrix

Jimmy Page desu

Rob Chapman,

every time i hear his style and signature licks I hit ctrl + w

billy corgan

Zappa

Prince

sounds like shit all the time
the Edge

>the Edge
great pick. his style is its own genre

marc ribot

Seconding this. His style/solos go with the music like few other guitarists.

prince isn't remarkable/unique at all

its just cheesy 80s wankage when he solos, hes not even that great

Hmm

I guess in his time yeah

He does that really weird triplet timing in his solos

fuck I'm gonna listen to some Van Halen right now

>mfw the shred on eruption every time

Johnny Marr

This

Not saying he's good, but it meets the criteria of the thread 100%. It is completely impossible to mistake his solo's for anyone other than him

fripp's octatonic noodling is pretty distinctive

hate to sound like a redditor dad rock nerd, but honestly Brian May.

hum the solo from Killer Queen in your head.
his style is so uniquely his own that you know it's him not only from the tone but from the types of melodies he plays and the flair with which he plays them.

He definitely has one of the most unique tones.

Yeah I'm listening to Van Halen right now, his shredding isn't even about playing fast and wacking the wang bar, he was focused musically on making the craziest sounds, within the context of shredding

more jimi than vai

These. Also, Richard Blackmore.

>You know I'm right

More like You Know YOU'RE Right! HA! :^)

Are you saying he's NOT good? You fucking shit

Marty Friedman, any other answer is wrong.

The second you hear him bend a note and do vibrato you know it's him. And even people who learn his solos note for note can't get the same feel in the phrasing.

Yeah he's terrible.

Django
Dick Dale
Kerry King

youtube.com/watch?v=w-NshzYK9y0

he's awful

DUDE WHAMMY PEDAL LMAO

He's not terrible, but all he can really do is come up with RAWK riffs. His solos are just novelty trash and their "charm" wore off by the time their Evil Empire album came out.

it's a wah pedal dumbass, but I agree he's shit at guitar so he tries really hard to compensate by being "dude so inventive and creative lmao"

lel
u retard
dimebag and morello were the reasons digitech brought the whammy back

Unique tone also

well. he's the best part of ROTM. but that's already not saying a lot

>saying a successful professional musician sucks at his craft

I bet none of you virgin faggots have ever even set foot on a stage. And even if you have you're probably shit and either play faggy indie shit or just "shred" as fast as you can pretending you're yngwie.

1/10
made me reply

>makes a career ripping off a dead black man
>dies
Really makes you think

>successful

Proof that he's shit.

>it's a wah pedal dumbass
>dumbass

Robert Fripp
Phil Manzanera
Adrian Belew
john Frusciante
David Gilmour

Django Reinhardt.

>1/10
Because it's true. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll actually play for a real crowd some day. They probably won't like you though.

you having a bad day buddy? it's gonna be fine

>They probably won't like you though.

Maybe he should go WOOOO WOOOO WEEEEEE on his geetar, then they'll like him!!!

Kevin Parker

Every crowd i've ever performed for loved it. So that sucks for you.

agree, but prince is god. During the 80s, he hired a guitarist to record and perform with him. Prince originally taught himself piano; but from the 80s to the earliest 00s, he learned guitar. I think around in '07 prince got inducted to the 'rock n roll hall of fame' and he learned all the solos and did an improvisation with tom petty, clapton, elo dude et al...
You have to respect that as a musician

mark knopfler

he sucks on a technical level. But he took a negative (tone whoring), cranked it up to 11 and owned it.
Also Bulls on Parade is possibly the best attempt to play gangsta rap with guitar

>Which guitar player has the most unique/instantly recognizable solo playing style?
Marty friedman from megadeth
Amazing consistent sound thats branched different styles

Joshe Homme from Qotsa
His sound is iconic at this point

Buckethead for hypershredding and quick change ups. Hes got an amazing range tho too bad hes a bit repetitive.

Slash is really recognizable. Even been parodied how they all sound alike

For me Buckethead

Lucas Mann
But not in a good way
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1QBXi7EtQiE

The idea of being the band's DJ but playing guitar was cute in the 90s. Why he didn't abandon the gimmicky sounds during Audioslave is beyond me.

Like another user said though, he's a fucking great riff writer. Gotta give him that. I would like to hear him do a fucking straight forward solo though.

John Frusciante in my personal opinion

Seconding these

Peter Green, only player that made BB king break out in cold sweats
youtube.com/watch?v=WSbjNWPAMdo

His solo stuff is incredible Inferno and Tokyo Jukebox 2 are great

Frusciante Is shit now, attempts to play Ahex Twin and fails

Glenn Tipton

>takes what a black man did and does it better

whoa

Not really
Prince has always been a competent musician on keys, drums, guitar/bass, but he isn't recognizable, his music is, his skill on individual instruments isn't. I get irked reading about that shit when Prince did a solo for my guitar gently weeps in the hall of fame and people cummed in their pants over it

firstly, it was just standard rock masturbation, go into any guitar store and hear someone playing that shit while just fucking around trying out some amp or guitar
secondly, it completely ruined the entire point of the solo
my guitar GENTLY WEEPS
he turned it into a showboating jerk session
completely ruined the vibe of the song

but he was black and 'cool' so people want to suck his dick

not a great guitarist

kk downing

Well, The whole event was a 'standard rock masturbation.' That's why I put it in quotes. The whole thing was lame, but Prince showing his progress as a multi-instrumentalist was inspiring. There are voicings in prince songs that haven't really been done in popular music.
I mean the Beatles stuck to diatonic chords their entire careers. I heard shit in Prince song that were really fucking different

>takes what a black man did
>makes it normie friendly
History repeats itself

He was always shit.

I would say Eric Johnson has a very distinct sound to his playing.

Alex Lifeson

I disagree.

Ditto.
Also a distinct sound of not playing as he berates his crew for his guitar not being 1000% in tune.

Not hard to do.

Victor Villarreal

Probably one of the best and most creative / original guitarists of the last 20 years desu

I've never really liked Rush; but HOLY FUCK, the solo on Tom Sawyer was incredible. I trained for jazz music, so I think interesting comping is as good as an interesting solo. Peart and Lee break out in this really fucking tight rhythm; then Lifeson plays the most beautiful solo he could've ever played.
>THE
>FUCKING
>PHRASING

Kek. A true champion of his craft.

Exactly. Lifeson has such brilliant, unique phrasing that you could identify him 100% of the time in a blind listening test.

Yeah, Lifeson really improved as Rush moved into the 80s. He was fine from the start, but he did a lot of generic Blues noodling on their earlier albums. By the time they reached Moving Pictures he had become something else entirely.

Gregg Ginn

LOL fruisciante is the best of our generation

allan holdsworth

Frusciante is literally the most overrated guitarist I know of. Absolute garbage.

what a cutting edge opinion. do you mind If I screenshot it?

Even his generic blues noodling had elements of his uniquity though. But yeah his late '70s, early '80s sound is simply amazing.

I've kinda thought that holdsworth sounded like a more thought-out Zappa. Not dissing Allan of course. My guitar teacher bootlegged his live show and played that shit in my car in the parking lot. What are Allan holdsworth's 'bangers'

Go right ahead, maybe someday you'll actually see the truth in it.

thank ya suh
by golly I hope I do !

Wes Montgomery.

this

>I've kinda thought that holdsworth sounded like a more thought-out Zappa.
Not really. You've only listened to a couple of songs. As far as my recommendations go, listen to all of his solo albums, UK's first album, Soft Machine's Bundles. Here's a list of the albums he's played on:
rateyourmusic.com/list/warpigcat/allan_holdsworth___i_knew_that_he_plays_on_many_albums_but_look_here____/
He's reinvented his sound so many times; you're in for a treat.

except the drums and guitar were totally out of time before the song starts.
I wonder why they didn't fix up this obvious mistake.

cool geetar but

Tony Iommi
Ritchie Blackmore
Ron Asheton
Eddie Hazel
Rocky George

>except the drums and guitar were totally out of time before the song starts
are you sure you just dont suck?

>allan holdsworth
I agree. I mean, just listen to these:
youtu.be/k8t45eCC0zM
youtu.be/TjE896B2QUE
youtu.be/_RC6XSAZwOs
youtu.be/71pPCjIS4P0
Not only has he reinvented his sound many times throughout his career, he's got such unique phrasing and chord voicings. Beautiful chord progressions and melodies, most players can dream of, forget actually playing.

This is such a:
>I've been playing for 6 months
circle jerk; but jimi's style is quite recognizable. He wasn't a Joe Pass, of course, but Miles wanted to cut an album with him.
He had a distinct style and he stuck with it.
I've heard towards the end of his career he was frustrated by his lack of theory.
He can't live up to the hype of two generations of white suburan awkward-boners, revering him as god. But he didn't play like a lot of other players at the time