/classical/

Post your favourite harpsichord pieces.

youtube.com/watch?v=pt-mo-pMl7U

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Vj1UPzlrTc
youtube.com/watch?v=MtEaHZLFAMs
youtube.com/watch?v=zqGDCOWLXog&list=PL-vevC6nQlZxvOwt_nS4L32WrqsBvfW0r
youtube.com/watch?v=OHu4Jbw6vho&list=PL32JVJNSFV7HPbgPCGp-m7B-3l4MJz-sd
youtube.com/watch?v=LcO_ghgrigE&list=PL2wOlOHt7njkT1SWft_pDN3yjZpwtS2z1
youtube.com/watch?v=0RPzn5GQeKA&list=PLpHgatCouXCnR8j5P7CzXZyL2RNyoHXJR
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW5xRTSu2BWkEOnJ3m_OtGTyyPDQXZyxS
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLah9x4Sm4HEUWQXV5j_48tQLxuBVnULsU
youtube.com/watch?v=Ey0FwwQZVRs&list=PLnPHNpRh9AXnTuJhgOrkbSZ21egKp0zdv
youtube.com/watch?v=3NuOEWyLOQI&list=PLY4uVXNsPqnRXvIlVbDjYVOtGvcHlaEL7
classicalpippo9.com/2016/11/22/beethoven-string-quartets-orford-string-quartet-box-set-8cds/
aviation-history.com/messerschmitt/bf109.html
youtube.com/watch?v=5qSnQ-CC8l8
youtube.com/watch?v=rfNwi5Cl6JA
youtube.com/watch?v=Qi9vO5osN2c
youtube.com/watch?v=FsvpFU7KY7E
youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg
youtube.com/watch?v=xweAry37KUg
youtube.com/watch?v=VOVF-33A9HI
youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM
imslp.org/wiki/Category:Pezold,_Christian
books.google.cl/books?id=dKCdsOq3X4sC&pg=PA158&lpg=PA158&dq=conversations with glenn gould&source=bl&ots=H3RjJSWiV7&sig=yHZG9IBEp_bqp84C7ZNiXpSFtvs&hl=es-419&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=beatles&f=false
youtube.com/watch?v=giX9n22kdg8
youtube.com/watch?v=SpbdODn75mk
youtube.com/watch?v=aGNObWgU2Qw
celloonline.com/cellobasics.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=e52IMaE-3As
youtube.com/watch?v=noHuQPlhpyc
youtube.com/watch?v=-0nKJoZY64A
youtube.com/watch?v=mGQLXRTl3Z0
youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM
youtube.com/watch?v=nbJ33aN63Fs
youtube.com/watch?v=TyaMbo6ABUw
youtube.com/watch?v=bcvPcAZj7bg
youtube.com/watch?v=tyXjX-IOP6s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Antonio Soler - Fandango (Scott Ross)
youtube.com/watch?v=9Vj1UPzlrTc

My favorite harpsichord piece is teh Goldberg Variations

Brandenburg 5 for the godly cadenza

None, I can't stand the timbre of a harpsichord. Almost everything is better on the piano (except some Bach)

I think it has a really pretty sound.

you know Brahms' 2nd piano concerto is really fucking boring

Schumann in his ''Advice to Young Musicians'' says

>It has been thought that a perfect musician must be able to see, in his mind's eye, any new, and even complicated, piece of orchestral music as if in full score lying before him! This is indeed the greatest triumph of musical intellect that can be imagined.

Is this one of those things that you can do only if you practice since you were 3? Can an adult possibly learn to be such a good transcriber?
As soon as I've read that I immediatly had the impression that I am currently experiencing music at a lower level than people like Schumann. How much practice and time does it take to reach that level of musical literacy? And do I have to play an instrument to do so?

He also says

>As you grow up, become more intimate with scores (or partitions) than with virtuosi.

Does he literally mean that he can understand music just by looking at scores? To what extent can this be applied? Can trained composers read something as complex as a Mahler symphony and hear EVERYTHING that is happening (or at least imagining it in a correct way)? Can this be trained too?

all I know is that my ear is dogshit yet somehow I did well in my aural skills classes

I can't stop popping boners for fugues what do I do

lear how to compose them and become the next Bach
You only need 50 years of intensive training

listen to chopin's fugue on repeat until you cringe upon hearing every voice drop out except for one in the development section of a sonata form

Gonna recommend the Orford String Quartet, never heard of them before but their playing easily ranks among the elite and is a lot more exciting than the usual academic stuff. Tully Potter called them "among the most impressive Beethoven ensembles" and so far I'd agree.

youtube.com/watch?v=MtEaHZLFAMs

youtube.com/watch?v=zqGDCOWLXog&list=PL-vevC6nQlZxvOwt_nS4L32WrqsBvfW0r

youtube.com/watch?v=OHu4Jbw6vho&list=PL32JVJNSFV7HPbgPCGp-m7B-3l4MJz-sd

youtube.com/watch?v=LcO_ghgrigE&list=PL2wOlOHt7njkT1SWft_pDN3yjZpwtS2z1

youtube.com/watch?v=0RPzn5GQeKA&list=PLpHgatCouXCnR8j5P7CzXZyL2RNyoHXJR

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW5xRTSu2BWkEOnJ3m_OtGTyyPDQXZyxS

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLah9x4Sm4HEUWQXV5j_48tQLxuBVnULsU

youtube.com/watch?v=Ey0FwwQZVRs&list=PLnPHNpRh9AXnTuJhgOrkbSZ21egKp0zdv

youtube.com/watch?v=3NuOEWyLOQI&list=PLY4uVXNsPqnRXvIlVbDjYVOtGvcHlaEL7

>this video is not available
>for every video
What

They all work for me. What country are you in?

Netherlands, but I'm not getting a "blocked in your country" message. It simply says "this video is unavailable"

I can testify this site is legit, although all the files have a password: pippo9

classicalpippo9.com/2016/11/22/beethoven-string-quartets-orford-string-quartet-box-set-8cds/

Whether or not it's possible, it's definitely not something you develop even within 10 years of training. I'd say start simple and try to push yourself as far as you can, and then see for yourself whether it really is possible or if he was just boosting his ego.

The Romantics always had big egos

Well, Schuman wrote those advices in his early 30s, and he started studying intensivey composition, theory and doing ear training only in his early teenagehood, so it's fair to assume that he developed those skills in about 10 years (less than that actually, since he was already composing when he was 22 without being able to play most of his compositions).

He had a few composition lessons in his teenagehood, but his training was anything but fomal. Since he always composed with only pen and paper it is fair to assume that he actually had mastered those abilities in those years.

>tfw absolute pitch

>Is this one of those things that you can do only if you practice since you were 3? Can an adult possibly learn to be such a good transcriber?
No, some are born with it. You either hear original music in your head or you dont. It cant be taught.

>Does he literally mean that he can understand music just by looking at scores? To what extent can this be applied? Can trained composers read something as complex as a Mahler symphony and hear EVERYTHING that is happening (or at least imagining it in a correct way)? Can this be trained too?
Yes, you can get a lot from score study. After some practice and familiarity with the piece you can "imagine" what a score will sound like. Not with 100% accuracy, but you can get the gist of what it will be like.

I always found score study is best done while listening to the music. Listen as you follow along. Pause when you come to parts that you like and look at them in the score in more detail.

Some conductors say that silently reading through a score is the purest way to experience music. I disagree.

>50 years
Only really takes a couple of months to learn how to write fugues. Already knowing counterpoint helps

a lot of Saint-Georges Violin concertos have nice harpsichord accompanyment

What music is playing in the background of this website?

aviation-history.com/messerschmitt/bf109.html

Sounds like Wagner or Mahler or Strauss, I swear I probably already know it.

tannhauser

cheers m8

It's one of my favorite operas

Mahler should have composed an opera

What are some similar pieces to Czardas?

There's always Csardas

Die Kunst der Fuge
youtube.com/watch?v=5qSnQ-CC8l8

>No, some are born with it. You either hear original music in your head or you dont. It cant be taught.

I can easily imagine new music. Every night before going to sleep I'll just imagine original music, usually string quartets and piano pieces, until I get asleep.
Still, this wasn't the skill I was questioning. I was asking if learning how to read and imagine scores in your adulthood is possible, and how much work does it take to get to a point where you can read comfortably complex scores (such as Mahler symphonies).

>Not with 100% accuracy, but you can get the gist of what it will be like.
Again, how much practice does it take to acquire that degree of musical literacy?
Also you're saying that you can't imagine it with 100% accuracy: what about people who write symphonies? Do they just write an approximation of what they want to hear and then balance it with a real orchestra?
I'm asking it for 2 reasons:
1) I've got lots of music in my head, and I'd love to be able to transcribe it. The one thing that I hate about my current imagination is that it is not grounded in any notion, therefore it is very poorly structured. It's just a costant succession of different musical ideas. This difference is not immediate, I'll usually start thinking about a theme, keep variating it and eventually I'll end up in a completely different place. I feel that if I could place those notes on a mental score I could organize everything way more clearly.
2) I listen to lots of classical music, yet I still can't read scores and I don't know what kind of work does it take to be abl to do so. Also I feel it's a waste, since I'm 100% sure that 99% of the composers I'm currently listening to envisioned their music not only as emotive expression but also theoretic expression. I can't even imagine how many hidden patterns, themes and modulation I miss everytime I listen to Beethoven.

>not posting the best contrapunctus

youtube.com/watch?v=rfNwi5Cl6JA

he did, it's called Wozzeck

>you can't imagine it with 100% accuracy: what about people who write symphonies?
Studying a score is different to writing a symphony. Even hearing something in your head, its unlikely you'll hear everything with 100% accuracy, you hear a general idea of what it should sound like, and then you get to work attempting to create something as close as possible on the page. After 10 years of practice you get pretty good at transcribing what's in your head.

Its just one way of working, usually composers generate ideas, either by imagining something or improvising (or if you're Ferneyhough - coming up with some crazy premise then generating some rhythms with a computer program)
Once the ideas are generated, you begin the work of turning them into a coherent piece, this is the largest part of the process. Composition is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. If you dont put countless hours into a piece its probably not going to be any good. Even composers who hear what a symphony should sound like in their head will spend weeks laboring over the score, making it better and better. The "hearing it in your head" is usually only the starting point for a bunch of hard work.

Composers like Taneyev don't begin writing a piece until they've tried out all the contrapuntal possibilities with all their thematic material - a long process. For him the pre-work is sometimes a larger part of the writing than the actual writing, but once he does get around to writing the piece he knows all his melodic material will perfectly fit with each other, and he doesn't usually have a lot of transitional material filling in space.

I'd say Zemlinsky, Schreker, D'Albert or Szymanowski are closer to what a Mahlarian opera might be than Berg.

This.

same for me.

>Only really takes a couple of months to learn how to write fugues. Already knowing counterpoint helps

It takes only 2 months to learn how to write uninteresting fugues, but to master them and to become the next Bach you really have to devote your entire life to the practice.

post classical music written by amateurs
youtube.com/watch?v=Qi9vO5osN2c

youtube.com/watch?v=FsvpFU7KY7E

unironically

inb4 someone posts something from a famous composer

lmao damn

Mussorgsky was an actual amateur, he had no formal education thorough his life (still, I'm not trying to downplay him, he still had a prodigious immagination).

post Ives then

"It is easy enough to correct Mussorgsky's irregularities. The only trouble is that when this is done, the character and originality of the music are done away with, and the composer's individuality vanishes."
He wasn't ignorant, just ahead of his time. he should've belonged to impressionists

Petzold

youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg
youtube.com/watch?v=xweAry37KUg
youtube.com/watch?v=VOVF-33A9HI
youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM

it it even possible to find Petzold scores?
all I have is an incomplete suite in G

imslp.org/wiki/Category:Pezold,_Christian

they have that suite in G without a prelude

Does anyone have Glenn Gould's articles on why The Beatles suck?

he didn't sat they 'suck'

books.google.cl/books?id=dKCdsOq3X4sC&pg=PA158&lpg=PA158&dq=conversations with glenn gould&source=bl&ots=H3RjJSWiV7&sig=yHZG9IBEp_bqp84C7ZNiXpSFtvs&hl=es-419&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=beatles&f=false

Wow, that's the clearest Grosse Fuge I've ever heard. I don't know if it knocks off my favorite from the Smetana Quartet, but that was way stronger than I was expecting.

youtube.com/watch?v=giX9n22kdg8

There's barely any reference to the Orford Quartet online. How come?

They do suck though

>but what about the Beatles' lyrics, which seem to me really special?
LMAO

Has Canada ever produced a good composer?

Gould

The only Canadian composer I could name is Samuel Andreyev

claude vivier

What's your favorite Wagner recording?

furtwangler tristan

How to get my father into high test? Out of Mahler's 5th, the only movement that he liked was the Adagietto.

shut the fuck up

Petzold.

Listen to Mozart exclusively for an entire decade, only the highest of test can achieve this great goal

>tfw to smart to listen to music except for Mozart's 200 cd box set

Is it true that German classical music is actually a mixture of other classical traditions and not actually original at all?

German, French and Italian music all have traditions that extend as far back as the middle ages.

Very low energy recently /classical/. Sad!

>program music cucks

not true, all major European nations had their schools of music, the French, the Italians, the Germans, the Spanish, the Dutch, the Balkan peoples, the eastern Europe, etc.

Why is Schönberg so underrated bros?

because everyone thinks of him as the plink plink plink plonk dooooo de doooo dooo edgy atonal composer

because Stravinsky appeared around the same time, had gotten all the fame and money and became the number one composer.

Shosty was more popular than Stravinsky desu

Is he only second to Mozart in terms of underrated-ness?
>Hated by people new into classical because he's a controversial figure, just like Mozart
>Widely misunderstood by his mainstream fanbase, just like Mozart

>Shosty was more popular than Stravinsky desu
unfortunately he lived in the ussr so that didn't mean anything
plus I'm not sure about more popular, maybe as popular as Stravinsky.

Thoughts on Borodin?

so up until now i've only been into electronic music, pop, metal, hip hop etc.
I never paid attention to classical or had an introduction to it
but now i'm listening to random pieces and really enjoying it

so, just wondering if you had any recommendations for a complete beginner to the genre?

also i used to play guitar as a kid but stopped when i reached my mid teens
i've been looking into all the classical instruments, and I really like the look and sound of the cello the most
is it too late to start learning at 20, and do you know where could i buy or try out one as a total beginner, or if there is any particular variety / wood type i should choose?

one of my favorites

youtube.com/watch?v=SpbdODn75mk
youtube.com/watch?v=aGNObWgU2Qw

Never too late, m8 (unless you want to play professionally). Search about music stores in your city. celloonline.com/cellobasics.htm

Bethooven, Mozart and Bach are staple.
Might as well listen to a lot of pieces which contain Cello too:
youtube.com/watch?v=e52IMaE-3As
youtube.com/watch?v=noHuQPlhpyc
youtube.com/watch?v=-0nKJoZY64A

Post some of his non-

>plink plink plink plonk dooooo de doooo dooo edgy

music

youtube.com/watch?v=mGQLXRTl3Z0

youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM

christos hatzis

Like this guy said youtube.com/watch?v=nbJ33aN63Fs

how can one write such a based sonata
youtube.com/watch?v=TyaMbo6ABUw

replying to myself because goddamn i forgot how good this sonata is

god bless debussy

youtube.com/watch?v=bcvPcAZj7bg

wtf i love schönberg now

Conductors to avoid? Already know of Karajan and Dudamel.

Copland

Bernstein
Abbado
Rattle
Michael Tilson Thomas
Giulini
René Jacobs
Szell
Horenstein
Solti

why would you put all of your things down onto the floor of a public bathroom

everyone but mackerras and harnoncourt