Does anybody here listen to drone or dark ambient? I barely ever see it get discussed

Does anybody here listen to drone or dark ambient? I barely ever see it get discussed.

Been listening to drone for years. very calming and atmospheric stuff that doesn't get enough love.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3Nrm4H7FJGw
youtube.com/watch?v=KKiVcESVDw4
youtube.com/watch?v=8rjcipcBibc
play.spotify.com/user/nicholasgavan/playlist/7DxvnCRGAZFa2iTjjqfk3h
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A local radio show plays ambient and drone on Monday nights. I don't know many artists though. Although I do recall one artist is Steve Roach.
It's good to go to sleep to.

yes

My favorite Drumm drone is that one tied with Tannenbaum depending on the day. Tannenbaum to me is perfect, glacial drone and if I lived in a place that snowed it'd make for a great listen to just hear and see through the experience.

Steve Roach is top tier, his discography is great to listen through (though I recall not liking the Magnificent Void)

Drone/true ambient is my favorite genre as of lately. Dark ambient is even more niche. It's interesting trying to describe what makes ambient "good" as it usually doesn't contain lyrics, but it sets a mood. I'm listening maybe too much of it these days. I listen to Basinski's loops to sleep at night when I sleep.

Any recommendations or ambient mixes that are good, especially those that are on Spotify? Every day I'm discovering new artists, but the process for finding them isn't exactly easy, it's hard to explain. What you got??

>Emeralds - Allegory of Alergies
>Delia Derbyshire - Inventions for Radio: The Dreams
>Raime - Quarter Turns Over a Living Line
>Lee Noble - Un Look
>Odd Nosdam - Music for Raising
>astrobrite - Boombox Supernova
Not sure if the previous two reccs are on Spotify, sorry. They're both on Bandcamp.

I must have a different definition of ambient. I consider these to be more noise than ambient. Maybe it's just me, but when I think of ambient I think of no drums or jarring effects, and rhythmic melodies kept to a minimum. Dark Ambient I cut a lot more slack for with noise, but at the end of day I still want it to be ambient.

Check out Slim Vic to see what I mean. I still like it a lot. Thanks for showing me Raime.

Sorry I recced the wrong kind of stuff for you, I guess I prefer albums where rhythm is at a bare minimum rather than not present at all. I'll be sure to try Slim Vic.

No worries, I might be the one that's incorrect about it. Are there many subgenres of ambient? What would you call Eno's Music for Airports? And do you have Spotify btw?

I just call all music that tends to wander, build atmosphere, or posses minimal qualities ambient, t b h. There's a lot of genres that take influences from ambient (Ambient House, Psybient, etc.) but not really any subgenres besides defining it as electronic (which it usually is) or field recordings. Music for Aiports is just what I call Ambient amongst the other things i recommended; unobtrusive yet interesting, as Emo puts it

And I don't use Spotify, I keep my music files on a separate drive.

I'm just getting into the genre lately. I quite enjoy Eluvium and Stars of the Lid if you consider them drone.
Dead Letters Spell Out Dead Words is also pretty good.
If anyone wants to rec me some essentials in the genre, it would be appreciated.

I want to fuck Liz Harris so badly

If The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble counts, sure. This song is great to fall asleep to

youtu.be/3Nrm4H7FJGw

its hard to find good drone music

if you look up 'smooth jazz' on youtube youre going to get a bunch of impossibly shitty muzak jazz loops.

its the same with drone music im sure

how do you find good drone music? (hard mode: no steve roach, no throbbing gristle, only music created within the last 20 years)

labels, rym etc

It's hard to find. I rely on Sup Forums and going down the rabbit hole on Spotify.

>doesn't get enough love.
lol

>how do you find good drone music?
rym, i'll give you a run down of ambient/drone stuff as well as for everyone else in thread

>old stuff / "classics"
Brian Eno - Ambient 1 - 4
David Lynch - Eraserhead
La Monte Young - Black Record
Tony Conrad with Faust - Outside the Dream Syndicate
Henry Flynt - You Are My Everlovin' / Celestial Power

>regular drone
Eliane Radigue - Trilogie de la Mort
Time Machines - s/t
Nurse With Wound - Soliloquy for Lilith

>21st century ambient
Stars of the Lid - The Tired Sounds of
Jefre Cantu Ledesma - Love Is a Stream
William Basinki - Disintegration Loops
Eleh - Radiant Intervals
Taylor Deupree's entire discography
Tim Hecker - Ravedeath 1972

>something different
Cтyк Бaмбyкa B XI Чacoв - Лёгкoe Дeлo Хoлoд
Gigi Masin - Wind
Current 93 - I Have A Special Plan for this World
Natural Snow Buildings - The Dance of the Moon and the Sun
Jim O'Rourke - Happy Days

youre welcome my friends

>lists overplayed shit that is in every ambient thread
>youre welcome my friends

wow i never knew these highly talked about albums existed
thanks pal!

I saw KTL Friday night - they were pretty cool, though a lot less soothing than this track

youtube.com/watch?v=KKiVcESVDw4

>tfw I have tickets to Sunn O))) next month

everyone in the thread seemed like they didn't know much about ambient, so i handed some essentials. some lesser known stuff for you:

Alio Die - Raag Drone Theory
Alan Licht - Plays Well [dunno if this one is well known]
En - Already Gone
Mohammad - Roto Vildblomma
Mats Gustaffson - This is From the Mouth
Orkiestra Ósmego Dnia - Muzyka na Koniec

i hope this is better

ambient > drone >>> dark ambient btw

ty

Any love for Ben Frost?
youtube.com/watch?v=8rjcipcBibc

Nice!

I made a small playlist some time ago with some soothing ambients. For further exploration just go through the related artists and check RYM for best albums etc.
play.spotify.com/user/nicholasgavan/playlist/7DxvnCRGAZFa2iTjjqfk3h