Tfw you killed Ariel Pink's entire career with a single tweet

>tfw you killed Ariel Pink's entire career with a single tweet

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19936-ariel-pink-pom-pom/
nme.com/news/music/ariel-pink-5-1221051
thump.vice.com/en_us/article/holy-moly-is-ariel-pink-the-male-version-of-grimes
fasterlouder.junkee.com/ariel-pink-is-working-on-madonnas-new-album-they-need-something-edgy/840249
theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/15/ariel-pink-pom-pom-4ad
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_(band)
stereogum.com/1857227/grimes-writes-about-5-albums-that-changed-her-life/news/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19936-ariel-pink-pom-pom/

#outoftheloop

The only thing she did was make herself look worse by "dissing" someone who is way more important and talented than her. She's just worthless.

>tfw Grimes got so BTFO by Ariel Pink that her fanbase is still doing damage control

To be honest, between Ariel and Claire, I would expect Ariel to be a more reliable and consistent artist to sign on my label.

Why exactly did Grimes think he was being misogynistic? I know what he said about Madonna, but that's not misogynistic

I actually thought Grimes was more sane than that

It was just a really immature outburst on her part.

I'm usually a fan of metal, ambiance, and post-rock type music. I've tried to get into pop music a few times and it never sticks, it's always too vapid, or shallow, or formulaic for me. Grimes is the first "pop" artist that I've really, really liked and wanted more of.

Highly recommended if you want something poppy, but interesting, pretty deep, and different from the AAA Hollywood crowd.

Basically she thought the idea that Madonna is "pretending she's 20" is misogynistic. I guess her logic is this: there's nothing wrong with being an older woman who happens to wear certain clothes and dance a certain way and Ariel wouldn't be saying that if Madonna were a man and blah blah blah.

In my opinion, though, Madonna LITERALLY pretends to be 20. She has had more plastic surgery than possibly anyone, ever. She's now 58, and she looks like this. That's actually a pretty fucking bad example to set for aspiring female musicians when you think about it.

Also, Ariel was mainly talking about her music. He was saying that she's trying to make the same music that she was when she was really young and it hasn't worked anymore and it hasn't for a long time. And he was right. It's just as embarrassing when you see old guys who used to be rock stars trying to be cool and make the same music they were making in the '70s and it just doesn't work. It's embarrassing.

But of course Grimes had to take everything out of context and probably not even read the interview properly and make people think Ariel Pink is a piece of shit when he's actually one of the smartest, most interesting popular musicians today. Real dick move on her part.

she does that with everything. she got mad at sophie for using a "girl" name.

danzposter you here?

Wew, that's very far-fetched. I don't know what Madonna's endgame is, why doesn't she fucking just lean back and enjoy the rest of her life in unimaginable luxury? It's like super rich businessmen who keep thinking about earning more until the day they die, it seems so fucking pointless

I always get this urge to punch this ugly whore right in the mouth whenever I see her face.

Anyone else?

I think Madonna likes performing, duh.

violence is for ninnies

shes probably jealous of bowie and shit. who can make a "comeback" before his death. plus she enjoys what she does even if she sucks at it.
i always feel like madonna wanted to be a huge rolemodel but never achieved that status like beyonce or tswift has

...said the envious idiot. Admit it user, she's way more relevant than you think.

>suck a pen 15

what the actual fuck is a pen 15?

Well to be fair, he was already releasing albums when she was just a kid playing Pokemon, and after more than a decade in the industry, his music is still pretty good, so that is the best choice to make, really.

BTFO by Ariel? WTF? He lost the battle, he even apologized later. He also called Grimes the female version of him on that interview he insulted her. Ariel actually likes Grimes. Fact.

nme.com/news/music/ariel-pink-5-1221051

Then she could perform without this whole circus. It's not like she is making interesting music, so it must be purely for the experience of performing and the money. Why try SO hard to stay young and relevant, while making music that's mediocre and forgetful at best

>implying

you have to go to Pen Island to find out

The thing I have between my legs and that I sometimes want to insert into the cavity between the legs of some other humans

Even more proof that there isn't bad blood between Ariel Pink and Grimey:

>But that hasn't stopped Pink from continuing to point out his influence on Grimes. In a scene from a 2012 feature story in Spin, he watches Grimes perform at Make Music festival. (Keep in mind, this is when "Oblivion" and "Genesis" were everywhere.) "She doesn't do the ramanah," Pink says, referring to a vocal style popularized by Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder. "No, she does the Pink-a-nah." Later, he adds, "every time I hear her, I hear a little of myself." Pink also tried to invite Grimes on tour with him in 2012—but she was already fully booked. Funny enough, that seems like an apt metaphor to exactly what's happening today.

thump.vice.com/en_us/article/holy-moly-is-ariel-pink-the-male-version-of-grimes

too bad grimes never apologized
respect for ariel

Maybe she apologized privately. It wouldn't surprise me to see a collab between these 2. That so called quarrel was blown out of proportion, I'm pretty sure they already forgot about it. Even brothers fight each other, what would you expect from 2 quirky artists?

no she didn't. she made fun of him again in an interview with those other female artist. calling him an asshole

I'm sure that he does like Grimes and her music, but this post seems kinda sarcastic

personally i think ariel pink is a more attractive woman than the grimer

Good post. The thing is that Grimes isn't pure pop, but has quite many influences from diverse genres. Also she's a gifted songwriter and producer. Maybe that's why you like her music.

I'm here. I just heard that Danz' tour van was robbed (she lost costumes, gear, etc). Fuck those dipshits.

gofundme
.com/3ejo0ug

You're violent because you can't stand the truth. Fight against your real thoughts, bitch.

That's his style. See this too That happened before that incident.

I think she actually likes him despite Ariel's rude behaviour. At very least she likes his music.

I don't really understand what the hell she's doing either. I've always just seen it as a constant, desperate attempt to recapture her glory days or something.

was just asking to link you that! i donated 10 bucks, hope you could donate too

As far as I know he didn't apologize to her, nor should he have but that's IMO. This tweet isn't an apology. Especially because it does seem sarcastic, although I do think they basically like each other.

This image is terrible

Christ, that's Madonna today? Is here any flesh left or is she pure silicon?

>Also, Ariel was mainly talking about her music. He was saying that she's trying to make the same music that she was when she was really young and it hasn't worked anymore and it hasn't for a long time. And he was right. It's just as embarrassing when you see old guys who used to be rock stars trying to be cool and make the same music they were making in the '70s and it just doesn't work. It's embarrassing.

i don't know.. i really like hung up

I'll donate 10 bucks too. I would donate more but I have some financial troubles right now.

>This tweet isn't an apology.
In combination with it doesn't seem like there's a real hate between them. Shame that happened in public.

grimes made it public...

Ariel started all that by insulting her in public (an interview). Grimes was quite civilized even if she criticized him.

>Why exactly did Grimes think he was being misogynistic?
Because of the way he was characterizing the NATURE of Madonna's career:
>“Interscope are calling me to help write Madonna’s record,” Pink revealed in an interview with FL’s Doug Wallen.”They need something edgy. They need songwriting. She can’t just have her Avicii, her producers or whatever, come up with a new techno jam for her to gyrate to and pretend that she’s 20 years old. They actually need songs. I’m partly responsible for that return-to-values thing,”
fasterlouder.junkee.com/ariel-pink-is-working-on-madonnas-new-album-they-need-something-edgy/840249
This is what Grimes was commenting on in her tweet (see pic related.) The sort of mindset that sees absolutely nothing wrong with describing Madonna's central career values as 'gyrating to techno music while pretending to be a 20-year-old' while simultaneously claiming to be gunning for a job as her next producer. Pretty cut and dry imo.

So how did things escalate from this to the whole imo potentially career-ending "stupid and retarded" line from Ariel Pink? When it came time for The Guardian to conduct a follow-up interview, the reporter in question managed to completely misrepresent Grimes' comment, implying that it had been made in response to Arial Pink's opinion on the DIRECTION of Madonna's career:
>I ask about his latest misadventure, in which he revealed he had been invited to write potential material for Madonna’s new album. His assessment of her “downward slide” was jumped on by Grimes [...]
To which he responded (somewhat understandably, given the misinformation fed to him by the reporter) with the completely backfiring "stupid and retarded" comment.

If there is a moral to this story, it's that you should never underestimate the destructive power of stupid news journalists.

She's absolutely not

where the fuck do you think u are using that language

A well informed user. If more people would be like him, Sup Forums would be a much better place.

"she's retarded" case closed

...said the grimeshater...

Lesbian horse mime klara debuck claire boucher transsexual man eccehuomo

Up until Ray of Light she care what people thought of her. If you're old enough you'd remember her "erotica" phase and releasing a book full of nude pictures of herself with other nude people. I was like 5 when erotica was dropped and remember seeing the video late night on much music and wanting to hit that pussy like a truck.

She didn't care*

See This is why people like Grimes hate the news media so much. Because they do this sort of shit to people all the time.

but grimes herself said madonna sucked ass now.
face it grimes was in the wrong
like the time she got mad at sophie. she even called contracts "slavery"
she makes good music but is a dumb dumb outside of that.

/thread

Ariel Pink did nothing wrong.

Oh my fucking lord, I am done with grimes. I tried. I really have. I just don't get the fetishization of her, she makes decent electronic music, just leave it at that. Her fanbase is a fucking petri dish of white knights, and i think it's legitimately the worst part of /mu.

>but grimes herself said madonna sucked ass now.
>reading comprehension
Go reread and pay special attention to the words NATURE and DIRECTION...

read it and my opinion stay the same. grimes needs to apologize publically

>she makes good music but is a dumb dumb outside of that.
She's way way smarter than you think she is. Grimes played her cards right most of the time. People like her not only because of her music but also because she's so genuine. Would you prefer her to be dull like Taylor Swift?

see
Ariel Pink may have been baited into making his moronic "stupid and retarded" comment, but he is still the one who made it without thought for how the media would undoubtedly spin it.

i'd prefer to be like sufjan stevens but i can't have everything in life.

>>This is what Grimes was commenting on in her tweet (see pic related.) The sort of mindset that sees absolutely nothing wrong with describing Madonna's central career values as 'gyrating to techno music while pretending to be a 20-year-old'
Those ARE Madonna's central career values now. She is a formerly really good pop musician who now makes shit music. She's a has-been. A wash-up. End of story. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. There are plenty of male has-been musicians who act the same way.

preeeetty much

She never disagreed with Ariel Pink about Madonna no longer being good. Your opinion isn't based on actual information.

>she makes decent electronic music
But you're wrong. Many other people see beyond her catchy tunes a tremendous artist. Just a decent artist wouldn't get so much recognition from listeners, critics and even other artists. If you know your electronic music you should recognize that she's a really gifted singer, songwriter and producer.

>I am done with grimes
I'm sure she can't sleep at night knowing this. Yeah, sure...

No. It was more about her music.

“Interscope are calling me to help write Madonna’s record. They need something edgy. They need songwriting. She can’t just have her Avicii, her producers or whatever, come up with a new techno jam for her to gyrate to and pretend that she’s 20 years old. They actually need songs. I’m partly responsible for that return-to-values thing.”

“I guess it’s called ‘throwback,’ but the first record was so good because of the songs. It’s been a downward slide [since] … ‘Ray of Light’ is not cool. And all the other stuff she’s done after that, it’s not like it matters. It really shows a drain of values. People need more substance in their mac-and-cheese. People need more sugar or something.”

“It’s not because of her age. It’s because of the things that she thinks she needs to do to stay in her narcissistic domination of the world. Which is totally hers to have. But it’s about not just being a yes person. I’m sure Interscope signed her like, ‘Okay, the last record didn’t do so well. We gotta do something about this. We’re gonna get all new songwriters together and we’re gonna try to come up with this thing. ‘Cause she needs help with this.’ And she’s happy to let them do that for her.”

How is it Sufjan Stevens?

>She's a has-been. A wash-up. End of story.
She really milked a lot out of it while she was at the top though

You're missing the point. Let me make a revision to my first sentence. I am done with Grimes' FANBASE. Any and all discussion of Grimes and her fanbase lead to people like you defending her with tooth and nail, which is the point of my comment was. I never said she was shit, or her music was, I'm just confused at the army of neckbeards defending her on internet music boards as if they know her personally.

Madonna did a ton of money and got a lot of fame. Why does she refuse to retire? Is she so egoistical and greedy?

this
grimes makes good music. shit fans on here

>I never said she was shit, or her music was,
You said it's just decent electronic music and then wondered what all the fuss was about. I explained to you that her music is way more than decent.
>defending her on internet music boards as if they know her personally.
Some people like to defend her because she's insulted all the time by this vile board. And let's face it, it's quite entertaining to meta troll the trolls. Also don't underestimate the emotional connection to her music. You would defend your taste in music, right?

Why do you think her fans are shit? Because they behave like any fans of a cult artist? Because they shut your mouth immediately? Why?

>Those ARE Madonna's central career values now.
Finish reading the sentence I wrote:
>...WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY claiming to be gunning for a job as her next producer.
His original comments weren't made in the context of criticizing the central values of Madonna's career. They were made in the context of affirming what they rightfully should be in his opinion (notice how he even used the phrase "return-to-values" to describe his potential role in all this.)

How much more delusionally misogynistic can you get than thinking that saying something like this about someone to whom you mean well would be an okay thing?

>No. It was more about her music.
Not according to Ariel Pink. In reference to the content of the article that you are currently quoting:
>“I was only repeating what Interscope told me about why they needed me. They’re not my opinions. It’s clickbait journalism.
theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/15/ariel-pink-pom-pom-4ad

>I am done with Grimes' FANBASE.
>making gross generalizations
All barrels have bad apples desu. Some of us are awesome people, and others are complete tools. Just like with any other loyal fan base. Learn to live with it.

>Some of us are awesome people
LOL good joke

>user is serious
>LOL good joke
>expecting to be taken seriously

in your opinion who are the tools

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_(band)

is this band grimes approved?

yeah actually

where are the proofs?

stereogum.com/1857227/grimes-writes-about-5-albums-that-changed-her-life/news/

Ya

>tfw Grimes shaved away newcomer Pitchfork Before Today Ariel fans who don't even listen to The Doldrums and haven't heard the original Beverly Kills

Thanks Claire!

The ones who are obnoxious and uptight about things.

Which in-coincidentally would also include around 90% of the general user base of this board/website. There is a very good reason why /mu has the God-awful reputation that it does.

Jesus Christ I cannot stand you waifufaggots.

OH LOOK AT ME I LIKE A FEMALE ARTIST LOOK AT ME I'M NOT MISOGYNISTIC NOPE SEE YOU'RE MISCONTEXTUALIZING IT WOW MISOGYNIST

Fuck off

Reread your own damn thing you massive faggot

He's clearly saying that's where she's at and the reason he's being brought in, what he's trying to do, is to take her OUT of that and return to something of substance. He isn't even criticizing her career, really.

This is all made up. This is why people hate the news media. This is why people are annoyed with fucking idiots like Grimes opening their mouth and making strong, socially damning statements about things they don't know anything about. This is why this whole board is sick of you people.

Ariel Pink is more homophobic than Migos, Wacka Flacka Flame and DMX combined. He must be stopped. Its not funnny anymore

Fucking hell, take your pills, idiot.

>This is why this whole board is sick of you people.
Let's clear things up: a vile, moronic, memetic board is angry at the fans of a mild manered thin Canadian girl? LMFAO! How does it feel to be trolled so hard, dipshit?

This. It's not that she's pretending to be a general 20 year old, but that she's clinging to her old image and earlier career rather than developing either as an artist or a person.

>that
>an apology

That's passive-aggressive as fuck, my dude

a site just as bad as Twitter and Reddit combined

don't deny it

grimes has always been a little dumb

>tfw wasn't born an udisgusting worthless transsexual like Grimes is

there is a god

>u crzy
So obnoxious

you faggots are so obnoxious