This album is literally nu metal. Not that that's a bad thing at all. But prove me wrong

This album is literally nu metal. Not that that's a bad thing at all. But prove me wrong.

No it's not, and I'm sick of this meme.

This is the defining album of the 90s underground post-hardcore punk scene. Refused takes influence from Born Against and Nation of Ulysses rather than fucking Limp Bizkit, and influenced bands like At The Drive rather than SOAD.

Let's take a look at what defines punk, shall we? On an aesthetic basis, Refused is definitely punk. Other than the fact that it's in the goddamn title, almost all lyricism is radically left wing political ranting.

Musically is where you have the best argument. Refused was more complex than how your average grimesposting poptimist sees punk rock, as their perspective was influenced by the obvious normalfag punk bands, such as the Ramones and Black Flag. However there are a lot of punk bands that sound like Refused that pretty much anyone would call punk, IE the poseurs favorite band, Drive Like Jehu.

For what other reason would you call them nu-metal? Their harsh vocals? Nation of Ulysses had those, as did earlier post-hardcore bands, such as Rites of Spring.

In short, people who post this meme are bitter idiots who can't listen to songs longer than three minutes and want to insult everything over their head, similar to a musical manlet.

He hitting the dab

>For what other reason would you call them nu-metal?
syncopated rhythmic guitars (sometimes the guitars are used purely as rhythm instruments), prominent influence from non-metal/punk genres (jazz, electronic shit), you can jumpdafuckup to it, cheaply used buildup and release dynamics. It's really not hard to see why someone could argue that this is nu metal. New Noise is almost undeniably nu metal.

>prominent influence from non-metal/punk genres (jazz, electronic shit)

signature of 90s punk. took a lot of influence from jazz (see nation of ulysses and cows) and i wouldnt say they took electronic influence really other than interludes which dont reflect at all the music of the record, buildup dynamics were essential to grunge and alt rock at the time

was fugazi nu metal too? this is a post-hardcore album ur wrong dude

>and i wouldnt say they took electronic influence really other than interludes which dont reflect at all the music of the record
see New Noise

This album is literally nu metal. Not that that's a bad thing at all. But prove me wrong.

forgot to mention that nomeansno (seminal to 90s post-hardcore) took great influence from jazz, and i cant see why "taking influence from other things" makes you a nu-metal band. nu-metal is criticized for being samey buttrock

the shape of jazz to come is quintessential to understanding noise rock, and noise rock is almost a sibling genre to post-hardcore

also a section of one track does not a nu-metal album make

>syncopated rhythmic guitars (sometimes the guitars are used purely as rhythm instruments)
Punk does this all of the time. Hell, the guitar as a rhythmic instrument is the staple of the no wave sub-genre (you can't get any more punk than that)

>prominent influence from non-metal/punk genres (jazz, electronic shit)
Punk musicians have been experimenting with electronic music (synthpop, new wave, synthpunk, industrial) and jazz (contortions, lounge lizards, minutemen, blurt, plebs) ever since the 70s

>you can jumpdafuckup to it
?

>cheaply used buildup and release dynamics
This is punk we are talking about. It's not unusual for the dynamics and emotional delivery of a punk record to be completely blatant and un-subtle. That's part of it's charm.

Nu-Metal (a simple definition of Nu-Metal - if the music combines industrial, funky syncopated rhythms, turntables, and synths with rapping, it's a brand of Nu-Metal):

Proto:

Primus, Faith No More, Ministry, Chili Peppers, Rage, White Zombie.

"Golden" Age:

Korn, Bizkit, Papa Roach, SOAD, Kid Rock, Staind, Slipknot, Disturbed, POD, Linkin Park.

Modern Age:

Death Grips, Liturgy, Falling in Reverse.

Why would anyone call this nu metal?
It's literally a post hardcore album.

Bottomless Pit is the only Nu-Metal Death Grips has done though

what are you doing, son?

faux-populist spotted.
>Oh no! Someone posted something on the internet I don't like!
>Open "Bait Images" folder
>"patrick.png"
>And the day was saved!

actually that pic is in my futa folder, I don't know why I haven't moved it to its proper folder yet but pretty much this user

So what's the essential Nu Metal list?

Primus
Faith
RATM
Some Beastie Boys
Early Korn
System of a Down
Death Grips

???

90s NIN
Yeezus era Kanye
Converge
Grimes

>b-but New Noise
Not only is this argument flawed because it's ONE track out of the entire record (though the people that do unironically make OP post's argument tend to only have listened to that track) but New Noise's dynamics play is very obviously built based on a band like Slint, who also had tracks like Washer and Good Morning Captain which, similar to New Noise, have a quieter main riff followed by a louder chorus with variations on each of those sections on subsequent repetitions.

desu Refused's first album sounds more like Earth Crisis than Nation Of Ulysses to me, so I can understand where the nu-metal meme comes from. Doesn't change the fact they were still a hardcore band lmao.

ian svenonius rip off....super tacky....0/10