What did Europeans ever do?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_folk_music_traditions
youtube.com/watch?v=bBIubgsfK8E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music

Pioneered what would become country & western, bluegrass, and 90% of Latin American music + mad techno shit + baroque, classical and romantic music + appropriated all that African music so the beat[le]s could be formed

Metal

invented sound recording

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music

appropriating cultures

Because the rest of the chart isn't traditional music only

Oh wow, look at all these awful genres.

>What did Europeans ever do?
Take all of those musical styles and actually make them good.

come out ye black and tans

Can no-one name a European traditional music genre?

Steal natural resources from other continents

Morris dancing

breakbeat hardcore

Is it seriously that hard for you to use google?

Volkslieder

>stop talking about music on the music board

There is nothing on this board that can't be done via google, nothing

Needs more lutes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_folk_music_traditions

A Genre Justice Warrior (GJW for short) is a mentally challenged person that, in his quest to force diversity and quality discussion on a certain website's musical community, only brings things down even further.

His rhetoric is based entirely on anti-rockist sentiment: all genres are equal and rock is no different. In his quest to achieve musical diversity he brings down rock music's historical achievements; the GJW refuses to accept the fact that rock music has been the dominant and most popular music genre in the past 70 years, that rock music has been the one to set the standards for all of modern music to come.
The GJW despises the umbrella label "electronic music", wanting people to use the niche subgenre names instead. He refuses to accept the fact that electronic music simply lacks the stylistic diversity of rock music, and that electronic music has NEVER been as impactful on popular music as rock music has been in the past half a century.
The GJW despises the album format, calling it a vile creation of the capitalist rockist society, and calls for all non-rock listening music fans to abandon the album format completely in favor of singles and expanded plays. He ignores the fact that by doing so, he destroys jazz threads since those won't be able to talk about anything but jazz bootlegs and 1920's dixie land singles, he annihilates classical generals since those won't be anything but composition generals. He implies that electronic music is a non-album genre, by treating all electronic music as rave music and disregarding the plethora of electronic music genres that do rely on the album format. The GJW hence ironically enough becomes a rockist himself, the only difference being that he forces a bleepist standard of music appreciation instead of a rock music one.

The GJW promotes diversity, but doesn't promote actual quality content: it is why you see multiple niche genre threads started by the GJW in which he spams genre charts and copypastas, but fails to do something, anything, of actual value, to ignite actual interesting discussion.

The GJW forces people to listen to "elite" music such as the avant-garde and various traditional world musics for the sake of diversity, but doesn't ask people to think of the music they are listening to. The end result of his actions is the /daily/ general: a community of people listening to traditional music whilst ignoring the socio-cultural context, a community of people listening to the avant-garde without applying a single bit of musical analysis to the process. A community of people treating music like fashion, a community of teenagers degrading historical and artistic artefacts to nothing more than memes. And yet, despite creating the monstrosity that is the /daily/ general, the GJW doesn't stop: not until the whole board is one huge poseur circlejerk shall the GJW lay down to rest.

The GJW lives in a world of his own, and refuses to listen to anyone that tries to change his ways, which is why it is pointless to argue him; it's for the best if people not reply to his threads but filter him and his pastas completely. But most important of all is that people don't fall pray to his autism.

tl;dr

tl;dr

what's the difference between a gjw and a poseur

reminder that this is the kind of music that OP enjoys and defends

youtube.com/watch?v=bBIubgsfK8E

GJWs are the cause and poseurs are the effect.

Better than Oasis

probably some nerd shit

Chiptune?

jungle, downtempo and trip-hop

IDM

5/10

might have been better if you called it something other than GJW. like, you know, the established term poseur

Rockism is the cancer killing Sup Forums. You will never get a good thread about soul, R&B, funk, folk, classical, dance music outside of Daft Punk/Burial/Aphex Twin or jazz outside of Miles/Coltrane the list could go on because they aren't marketed predominantly by "COHESIVE CONCEPT ALBUMS!!!!". That's why Sup Forums is all rock, pop, rap and some surface level jazz and bleeps

see

Grime
Gabber

>You will never get a good thread about soul, R&B, funk, folk, classical, dance music outside of Daft Punk/Burial/Aphex Twin or jazz outside of Miles/Coltrane the list could go on
Because all you're capable of is shitty baits and spamming charts and copypastas from other websites.

Poseurs are people who go out of their way to cultivate an image of being interesting, by and large through doing their best to cultivate a "sophisticated" music taste.
HOWEVER, as these people have no self-sufficiency of their own, or any knowledge or familiarity with music beyond the pop sphere presented on sites such as Pitchfork, the best they can do to cultivate that image is to go on RateYourMusic and sheepishly drone the top-rated albums of whatever niche genre they think will bring them the most "patrician" or "underground" or "sophisticated" credibility.

IF you were to question them on the merit an album they claim to be a favorite, they would not be able to provide any substantial opinion or judgment regarding it(only empty buzzwords which they regurgitate without ever giving any thought to what they mean or how they relate to that artist) as in reality they have none of the knowledge which would help them to properly evaluate it.
The vast majority of them don't know music theory or have any sort of education(whether through personal exploration or professional education) on music/art history and have no familiarity with the origins, backgrounds and histories of their "favorite" genres, albums and artists. Their education begins and ends with RYM pages and lists and Sup Forums chart thread images.

More effort goes into building up the perfect "patrician" RYM/last.fm profile and curve using the perfect combination of albums and ratings than into actually trying to understand and genuinely appreciate what they are hearing.

*anime-grime
*slowed down gabber

Why would white people care about nigger music?

>WHAT ABOUT GENRES?

Genres popular among poseurs include, among others: jazz and its variants, industrial music, noise and its variants, "world music" and its variants, non-dance-oriented electronic music and its variants, "smart pop" music, "experimental" music in general.

>WHY SHOULD I CARE?

Because poseurs make this board a more toxic and uninviting place.
Because they fuel tension and antagonism.
Because their use of music as an ego-building tool sets a bad example.
Because, ultimately, their mentalities regarding music, art and their fellow man are just no good.

>IS THERE A SPECIFIC PLACE ON Sup Forums WHERE POSEURS CONGREGATE?

Yes. The hottest beds of poseur activity on Sup Forums are the /RYM/, /daily/ and Top 100 album chart general threads.
Take note of the mentalities with which music is approached in these threads and you are bound to find even more repulsive details than have been exposed in this thread.

Lesser quantities of poseurs can also be found in threads such as the Last.fm threads and the 3x3 Last.fm collage threads. These are a more benign and inconsequential variety of poseur, but they are poseurs nonetheless.

>Wow, this is some pretty heavy shit to take in. WHAT SHOULD I DO? HOW CAN I HELP PUT A STOP TO THIS?

That, friend, is entirely up to you.

This has been an informative thread regarding the subject of POSEURCORE. Thank you for your attention,

- The Sup Forums Anti-Poseur Initiative

This.

Much better to spam copypasta from Scaruffi, buzzwords from TND videos or pitchfork scores. Now that's constructive posting.

shoegaze

>copypasta from Scaruffi
Can you link the specific Scaruffi page where the above posts are written?

>- The Sup Forums Anti-Poseur Initiative

*billboard charts shillers

Agreed OP why the fuck is this board so insensitive and dumb when it comes to people of colors' native musical traditions? Good's heavens, have anyone of you even heard of an Indian Mantra before in your entire life!! Or how about Persian traditional music? I bet none of you even know one artist who plays it! And don't get me started on Africa! They have a musical history as rich IF NOT RICHER than Europe. How does it make you feel to be so ignorant about 90% of music in the world, huh? btw any like-minded people post your RYMs so I can friend you

>he thinks the GJW/Poseurs pastas are from Scaruffi
L M A O

M

A

O

THE STATE OF POSEURS IN 2017

if you were to go to any of the genre generals besides for kpop, you would find out that theres more discussion going on in those threads about music than any of the general threads on Sup Forums

This is what a "poseur" looks like.

Objective proof being a "poseur" is the ultimate goal.

>Sup Forums is full of braindead music listeners who listen to pop music
>better spam exotic music and force those people to listen to exotic music! this way Sup Forums will be a board full of braindead music listeners listening to exotic music!
Poseur/GJW logic.

the average top 40 pop listener is more intellectually honest than the average poseur

Are you really this retarded?.

There's nothing in there from TND or a p4k score, lrn2read.

this, but unironically

this desu

any discussion about world genres or anything besides surface level jazz and folk music gets taken over by people who ask for recs one day and then the next you will see 4 people posting in their 3x3 threads with the albums recommended (with no discussion about the pieces to even warrant their supposed interest in the music in the first place). This is why I stopped making /trad/ threads because its me and 2 or 3 other anons discussing music and then 7 or 8 posuers asking for recs for their charts

>People don't care about Armstrong/Ellington/Parker because no cohesive albums
Nice projecting. The majority of jazz I'm interested in is from the 60's, not because of release formats but because of developments in the genre. I do agree there's far more interesting music beyond those three though.

In stead of complaining, you could also be contributing to the few good threads there are on this board.

Imagine being this butthurt over people liking something you don't like

ill crack ur fucking skull kid

watch ur mouth around me

There is fuck all music discussion in /bleep/, /jazz/ is 3 posts then people bumping in vein until 404 and /metal/ is like a middle school playground.

well the answer is obvious

learn 2 like metal

plenty of """world music""" from europe, too

>flamenco
>fado
>celtic music
>occitan folk music
>romanian folk

Which is more discussion than 95% of Sup Forums threads and 200% than found in last.fm/daily/3x3 threads

What do you define as "music discussion"?

>hey i like X
>hey i like X it reminds me of Y
>thanks ill check Y

>doesn't include the best music to ever be created because there is too much to even fit on the map

so basically /daily/

got it

tbhwy i been seeing people begging for "music discussion" since I started coming here. i always assume they mean this bland kind of dialogue

>thinks "world music" is a genre

talking about the music, not about the artists personal life that has had no influence on the music, their physical appearance, Sup Forums, Sup Forums, Sup Forums, Sup Forums... shitposting, personal charts and 3x3s, memes, ""ironic"" posts about Sup Forumscore, discussion on what Sup Forumscore means, people wanting to add their favorite album onto Sup Forumscore, celebrity worship.

Essentially music discussion is discussing an artists release, body of work (as in actual music, not how they look), historical and cultural points that may have influenced certain works, interviews regarding their projects (not about their opinions on something not related to their music), and comparisons to other music pieces.

shitposting is fine if its funny, but this board is """ironically""" have bad opinions that actually represent anons feelings about music but are scared of being made fun of, people posting their charts, 3x3s, dailies, etc. with no worthwhile contributions other than a plus or minus sign next to another guys chart, or celebrity worship that is barely even related to music (IE grimesposters and kpop fags, but at least kpop fags stay in their own containment thread)

can someone read this post for me and sum it up in a sentence or two

He wishes for a fairytale.

discuss music not memes and charts all the time across most of the catalog. Contain shitposting to only a few threads

>Essentially music discussion is discussing an artists release, body of work (as in actual music, not how they look), historical and cultural points that may have influenced certain works, interviews regarding their projects (not about their opinions on something not related to their music), and comparisons to other music pieces

Can you post some examples of where this happened? I like the theory but this is Sup Forums, I just can't see it here.

It doesn't

>map doesn't include great lakes

Looks like only white people make good music.

Blacks just sing about sex, while banging on drums and jumping around like monkies.

Asian people just make weird noises.

Allah Ackbar!

here you go

>lakes
>great

Armstrong and Ellington? What kind of crack are they smoking, shit you might as well have said it's rockist because no one talks about Ragtime.

Wonder if there anyone alive from the heyday of ragtime......

turny

Bump

Proto-classical Church choral music