Free jazz is to jazz as _____ is to classical

Free jazz is to jazz as _____ is to classical

What is the classical music equivalence of free jazz?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pV6BeeoX474
youtube.com/watch?v=0WhXtkMyPHU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Russian classical

minimalism

12 tone serialism

By the middle decades of the 20th century, composers like Henry Cowell, Earle Brown, David Tudor, La Monte Young, Jackson Mac Low, Morton Feldman, Sylvano Bussotti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, and George Crumb, re-introduced improvisation to European art music, with compositions that allowed or even required musicians to improvise. One notable example of this is Cornelius Cardew's Treatise: a graphic score with no conventional notation whatsoever, which musicians were invited to interpret.

>someone on Sup Forums actually knows what they're talking about

What the fuck

this

>copying fucking Wikipedia
>knows what they're talking about

: ^)
Goes to show how easily answers can be found using Google.
George Crumb is fucking great though, I cannot recommend that guy enough.

this board has low standards dont blame him

>search him
>first yt result
youtube.com/watch?v=pV6BeeoX474
Holy shit I don't even

>takes music appreciation course once

make an effort man

Reminds me of some of the Waking Life OST tracks

gorge crumb more like george DUMB

youtube.com/watch?v=0WhXtkMyPHU

Some would say that they are not comparable but they had fairly similar developments with a similar struggle.
What's referred to as modernism in classical is IMO the closest analogous movement.

>Eero Tarasti defines musical modernism directly in terms of "the dissolution of the traditional tonality and transformation of the very foundations of tonal language, searching for new models in atonalism, polytonalism or other forms of altered tonality", which took place around the turn of the century

Biggest difference being, as stated in the video, that jazz was in no need of rigid systems like serialism, and instead gravitated towards what in classical you would call sonorism.

>Henry Cowell, Earle Brown, David Tudor, La Monte Young, Jackson Mac Low, Morton Feldman, Sylvano Bussotti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, and George Crumb
why is it always the hacks who obsess over improv?

not analogous because improvisation is and always has been a fundamental part of jazz music :^)

So?
They're both an increase in improv from the base genre. It's as close as you will get when comparing things that are this far apart.

Or maybe they're the real deal and the anti- posers have skewed your idea of them because of their insecurities

Indeterminacy you fucking retards

Can I get a quick rundown on free jazz?

aleatoric music or like new complexity??

Coleman, Brotzmann, the list goes on...