These expire from Netflix next month

These expire from Netflix next month

Are any of them worth a watch? I've only watched the JJ flicks, both of which I very much enjoyed

where are you /tvtrek?

2 and 6 for sure, 1 if you like something more crossed with 2001, and 4 for comfy 80's.

3 is debatable only to set up 4 and 5 is pretty trash by most peoples opinion.

and then Galaxy Quest

really makes you think

I watched 5 only for the scene where McCoy and Spock have visions/flashbacks of what made them who they are. Kirk's bit after the flashback is the best part of the movie. "I NEED MY PAIN!"

>I very much enjoyed
Then you likely won't like these.

1,2,3, 6 maybe 4.
5 you can skip, 4 is light and fun

desu if you watch 2 you should watch 3, because it completes the story and finishes the genesis arc

The older movies suffered from a lack of budget and were made in an era where directors didn't have as many options as they do today via CGI. In general, the acting was also not quite as "professionalized" (or whatever you want to call it) as modern acting--similar to how Olympics in the 1920s is a joke compared to the athleticism today.

But, the writing in some of them is pretty good, if handicapped due to the technical outdated-ness mentioned above. I would lower expectations before you jump in; you might be surprised and enjoy them.

I've been looking to get into star trek having never really been into it before after never really seeing anything past a few odd episodes of the various series.

Could I watch these movies or would I be better off watching the shows first?

2 and 6 are similar to submarine movies but in space. Really fun.

Watch the original series season one episode Space Seed if you want to start in on the movies

3 also sets up 6 actually.
In 6 there are some character scenes that wont make sense without watching 3. Kirks hatred for klingons and Spocks abandonment of pure logical principles

Just watch Deep Space Nine before you watch the movies. It's the only one that really holds up today given its overarching storyline.

they're all pretty good except for 5, it's just shatner jerking off on camera and it's laughable.

I think 1 is very underrated and the pacing isn't that bad especially if you like looking at visuals. story is good too

Holy shit yes I forgot the major reason why Kirk hates Klingons so much was in Three.

1 is a classic sci fi. There are some weird 2001 moments but the premise is 100% classic scifi and absolutely worth watching

Was 1 the movie with the Riker and Troi prototypes?

I don't hate these...but I cannot help but feel that Wrath of Khan should be red instead of purple.

Fucking no. You watch TNG before DS9. There is waaaaay too much overlap between those series to watch those two out of order. You can do anything else however you want, but those two need to be TNG then DS9.

If you tell people to watch TNG first, people will give it a halfhearted attempt before dropping that old piece of shit midway through S1, or they'll get a few seasons in until life just takes hold. It's like nine seasons long. Very few people our age have the stamina to watch that much, slog through all those episodic episodes, etc.

The Motion Picture is interesting because of the whole reason why it was made. CBS and Paramount had planned to make an entirely new tv channel and Star Trek series for it. They had pretty much everythig ready to go but something happened and they had to recoup the losses by making the "Phase II" series into a movie. A lot of the episode scripts later became TNG episodes.

It's 7 seasons, not 9 seasons you fucking moron

This is the worst fucking advice, seriously don't follow this.

Watch the original series pilot. Then skip around on Netflix and watch a handful of episodes that look interesting to you personally. You really don't have to watch them in any order, there's almost no continuity.

If you like what you see, watch Space Seed which sets up The Wrath of Khan. Then just watch movies 1-4. If you really like them, watch movies 5 & 6. If you're still with us, congratulations, you like Star Trek. Proceed to finishing the original series, or start Next Gen if you want.

DS9 will skew your perspective of Trek as whole if it's the first trek thing you immerse yourself in.

TNG should be the first go-to Trek.

That's not a huge difference when it's all mostly the same. Yes, there are some truly great episodes in there, but episodic is episodic. The rise of serial television has really put that shit to shame.

You're a fucking idiot that's blinded by your dislike of TNG.

I think he's purple because of the Mutara Nebula.

Including the ooga booga where da white women at episode. Look it up, it's literally the third episode of next gen!

Are you fucking retarded? DS9 is seven full seasons too. It's just as long as next gen

Yeah the space-africans episode. Wasn't there also a space-irish episode?

Yeah but that was in season 2, the episode is Up the Long Ladder. That one is actually a full blown TNG writing staff episode, which makes it even more embarrassing

Whenever I have trouble falling asleep I just put on the first one.

>how to spot a pleb 101

But it doesn't feel like seven seasons because you can watch them one right after the next, because there are hooks that keep you engaged--the storyline. There's this giant galactic tension, war, etc. With TNG, you have none of that outside some isolated instances. It's samey. It worked back when it was aired once a week because it was like a weekly story told to you, everything mostly self-contained within that one episode. Today, watching it one right after the other? Good god, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. It's like telling people to binge watch watch Law and Order for the first time without the benefit of nostalgia. Most people just don't have the interest for that shit.

Hence why I suggested Deep Space Nine, it's actually an interesting show that was quite modern and ahead of its time. It has something more to offer to its audience than "space adventure," which gets old fast.

Holy shit you're full of yourself

>It has something more to offer to its audience than "space adventure," which gets old fast.

No one that's arguing with you is saying it's not an interesting show. What we're saying is that it's a fucking terrible recommendation to anyone who's never seen any original Trek in their life.

DS9 requires a shit ton of general Star Trek knowledge for it to be enjoyable. Trying to watch it without having watched TNG or any TOS is like watching Serenity without even knowing what the fuck firefly is. Which was my exact experience as a kid in high school when I just went with some buddies. I was totally confused and thought it was shit.

TOS - Bold, Original, Utopian (somewhat.)

TNG - Starts off very similar to the original series, builds up character arcs and the Star Trek galaxy mythos later. Best episodes usually involve Data or Picard. Season 2 sucks and has a fucking clipshow.

Deep Space Nine - Starts off pretty slow but has a lot more character arcs and world building. Irish McAlwaysgetsfuckedup and Worf come back and a lot more Klingon stuff happens. Some people dislike the series because it strays away from the TNG forumula and the characters make some questionable choices. "I can live with it... I can live with it."

Voyager - Female Captain likes coffee and makes terrible decisions taking 7 fucking years to get her crew home. This series made the Borg from TNG into literal villians of the week.

Enterprise - Forgettable characters and mostly shitty episodes. Some gem episodes. Also has a 9/11 reference episode where Earth gets fucked up by an alien superweapon.

Are the tv shows staying?

Enterprise is better than Voyager, I will take this to my fucking grave I swear to god

This sort of kneejerk reaction is why so few people become fans of the series. Old fans push the "classic" Star Trek series onto anyone who's kind of interested in getting involved, basically turning away most new people because they get this really flawed impression of what the best of Star Trek has to offer. Star Trek was at its best with a rich universe that had a truly lasting storyline. But people rarely experience that because they're told to watch either a 50-year-old show or what Trekkies (and only Trekkies) consider the "titan" of Star Trek: TNG, which, as mentioned, just doesn't work these to bring new people in. It was okay back in the day, but, shit, we're not in the 1980s anymore.

Probably, CBS has the tv show rights and paramount has the movie rights. So it's probably just paramount that has its contact expiring with Netflix.

This is so dumb anyways, they always renew it. The movies probably aren't going anywhere, the companies just wait until the last minute to renew their contracts for negotiation purposes

I'm going to have to agree with you. Voyager ruined the borg and had way too much technobabble that made no sense. At least TNG/DS9 and Enterprise made an attempt to make the technobabble somewhat scientific.

>Deep Space Nine requires a shit ton of general Star Trek knowledge for it to be enjoyable.

Not really.

Everything is set up for you. Hell, was there even a Dominion pre-Deep Space Nine? Sure, you might not have huge, extensive knowledge of certain background characters like Worf, but that's really unnecessary. It's like demanding people read or see The Hobbit before watching LOTR.

You're the reason why we can't have episodic television anymore you turbopleb.

Self-contained stories > Meandering serialshit

>>Deep Space Nine requires a shit ton of general Star Trek knowledge for it to be enjoyable.

It fucking explains all you need to know in it's opening episode, the only episodes of TNG you could watch before hand are The Best of Both Worlds parts 1 and 2 since they lead into Sisko's backstory. (which is the pinnacle of TNG's best episodes in my opinion)

Problems with Enterprise:
- bland side characters
- it sucked when they changed the theme song after season two.

Problems with Voyager
- horrible fucking writing
- technobabble out the ass
- hit the reset button every week despite the fact that we're stranded on the other side of the galaxy
- Chipotle is the most laughable native American stereotype I've ever seen in television in modern times
- Belana is a blatant fiery latina woman stereotype
- Neelix
- turning the Borg into a fucking joke
- no real threat or danger ever
- all the timeline fuckery (see lazy writing)
- the warp 10 episode
- completely forgettable cast except for the doctor

That's fine that you think that, but the rise of serial television evidences that people care less and less about episodic, self-contained stories. People thirst for shows like Deep Space Nine, so recommending that first makes the most sense. If they're interested in old shows or become "purists," then sure, throw them to TOS and TNG and see if they survive. But when people are interested in having a good time by watching a show they'll engage in, I think it's better to actually deliver by recommending Deep Space Nine rather than disappoint them.

user and user at Sup Forums, when the walls fell.

Don't forget the Tuvix episode.

The Hobbit was originally written as a short story that had nothing to do with Lord of the Rings. Tolkien later retweaked the Hobbit to be in the same universe as LOTR.

DS9 requires you to know about Klingons. The federation. Romulans. Vulcans. Warp drive. Subspace. Klingons. The ferengi. THE VERY FIRST FUCKING EPISODE OF DS9 IS ABOUT THE BATTLE OF WOLF 359 AND CAPTAIN SISKOS RELATIONSHIP WITH PICARD YOU FUCK

Is it nessicary to watch any of the series before those movies?

You should watch at least the pilot of TOS so you know can be familiar with the characters

Probably some key episodes of TOS at least.

Tuvix was fucking great because it got rid of two horrible bland characters and turned them into a good character with an interesting background and compelling motivations. Tuvix LITERALLY did nothing wrong.

You need to watch the TOS episode Space seed before the second film, Wrath of Kahn.

All the Klingon and Romulan stuff you learn about in TNG isn't quite needed to watch DS9 as most of the DS9 episodes with them are entirely new stories, Romulan Neutral Zone is explained to the viewer.

Vulcans? What are you talking about.

Yes because Sisko's relationship with Picard is so important to the rest of the series, especially the 175 episodes where Picard never shows up again.

Yes but the episode and Janeway did something wrong. They killed Tuvix.

All you need to know about those races are explained to the audience within the first episodes they're introduced. Warp drive is a simple concept -- ships can warp places. Done. No need to slog through seven seasons of one ship visiting planets.

Picard doesn't matter to the storyline. He's a captain of a starship. Done.

Indeed. I can't blame the writers for that one, because all the main cast were on contract and you couldn't just do breaking bad shit like that back on the day on TV. But it's a damn shame, because Voyager had the potential to be something great.

Imagine how satisfying the payoff would have been when they finally get back to earth after just getting their shit pushed in for seven seasons. Harry Kim is dead, Tuvok and Neelix merged into a single person, Tom Paris is in the fucking brig and tried to stage a mutiny, the ship is in shambles and is cobbled together from rickety alien ship pieces, Janeway had to abandon all morals and become a warlord.

God it brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. I hope the new Trek show is something like this

>Voyager - Female Captain likes coffee and makes terrible decisions taking 7 fucking years to get her crew home. This series made the Borg from TNG into literal villians of the week.
This should read
"female captain who thinks that being a strong female is the same thing as being a caricature of the worst masculine qualities and in general an insufferable cunt" with a ship full of people you will hate.

I thought the design of the Voyager was beautiful as hell though.

Most of the Klingon and Ferengi backstory is expanded upon in DS9, so you learn about them that way if you watch it first. It's like reading about history tidbits. I watched Deep Space Nine first and the The Next Generation. It was really cool to see those historical "tidbits" flesh out on screen. Hell, even in the original series it doesn't explain really who the Romulans are, other than they had a war with Earth and look like Vulcans. TNG and DS9 expanded upon those races.

Yes, because your absolutism is so much more inviting. You. are. fucking. full. of. yourself.

Just don't bother, once he graduates highschool he'll have some time to grow and mature

How about you all watch both DS9 and TNG, you fuckers.

Really you should start with the Original Series of you plan on watching the movies.

TNG is okay as background noise but the episodic format will make it somewhat hard to get into for viewers who are used to dynamic characters and plots with seasonal and multi-seasonal arcs. The problem with TNG is that nothing ever changes. The characters are more or less exactly the same, in terms of development and personal situation, in the last episode as they were in the first. That said, DS9, despite its more modern format, is too steeped in Treklore for newbies to get into easily.

Trek in general is going to be hard to get into no matter where you start. It was very much a product of its time and a lot of elements either haven't aged well, or just aren't accessible to modern viewers. My advise is to pick either TOS or TNG, and instead of trying to sit down and binge episodes, just let them run as background noise while you do something else. If the story grips you and you find yourself paying closer attention to the Trek episode than whatever else you were doing, great. If not, it still makes decent background tv.

so is TNG really the best star trek? i watched like 7 episodes of season 1 and found it okay. Q kicked ass but riker's acting and lazy eye really irritates me. Is DS9 the best? TOS?

Maybe that's why Ronald D. Moore remade Battlestar Galactica.

This thread has 64 posts and only 16 posters. Your way maintains this empty, lonely status quo. My way would bring in a fresh audience and bring that post-poster ratio to 1:1.

Alright, thanks!

1 - worth watching as it's essential boringcore, but I don't know if a dirty pleb like you who loved the JJ flicks would like it
2 - worth watching
3 - can skip
4 - worth watching
5 - can skip
6 - worth watching

HE CANT KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

TNG doesn't get good until the end of season three

first two seasons are just ok. After that is when it is generally considered really good.

3 shouldnt be skipped on a first viewing, it contains fairly important information for the rest of the movies. However, on reviewing, it can certainly be skipped,.

Deep Space Nine is amazing throughout. Think of every episode as a brick. A brick that's building a giant storyline wall.

How many times are you going to repeat this projection?

And you seriously are claiming that there wasn't development from episode to episode? I'm beginning to doubt you've actually even seen TNG.

This pattern actually holds for the rest of the movies

Generations- can skip
First Contact - worth watching
Insurrection - oh god skip
Nemesis - worth watching, if only for the big budget popcorn flick spectacle

This is the first episode you should watch.

When will people realize that this picture is shopped?

Which would you consider the best one?

>Nemesis worth watching

lolno

One can only imagine. I've heard it's really good, I still need to get around to watching it

>Insurrection
>Riker shaves is beard

Are you seriously claiming that a millennial weened on shit like Breaking Bad is going to find the meager, once-every-twenty-epsiodes-then-never-mentioned-again character development and plot progression satisfactory? It's a good show but it could have just as easily have been an anthology series with a totally different cast of characters in each episode.

2 is the best, 4 and 6 are good, though. As I said before, 1 is essential boringcore and it's the most Trek movie.

Wrath of Khan (Star Trek II) is considered the best by many, as well as one of the best science fiction films of all time.

I like Star Trek IV the best because it's the first one I saw.

I would also watch Errand of Mercy since it's the debut episode of the Klingons, who are fairly important in most of the movies and central to Undiscovered Country.

Oh come on, it's totally worth watching as a brainless action flick. Plus it manages to ruin so many of TNGs characters in one film! You've got:

- Troi getting mind raped
- Picard turning into Sylvester Stallone
- Data dying but lol not really
- Tom Hardy hamming it up

It's great.

This sounds like good advice. Quality post, user.

Star Trek IV is super comfy. It just screams 1980's. Plus, it has some great Bones lines in it.

1 - Flawed but great movie, beautifully shot, great story and maybe the best score of any movie ever made by Jerry Goldsmith.
2 - Best of the TOS movies, helps if you've seen the original Khan episode but still works otherwise, closest to the feel of TOS.
3 - Another flawed movie but has some great moments and I personally love it. Another good score by Horner.
4 - Most peeps "best" TOS film but for me it's badly dated and frankly I have no desire to see the Star Trek crew running around on earth for most of the movie.
5 - dogshit avoid.
6 - Good movie, maybe the second closest to the feel of TOS. Great villain.

>Are you seriously claiming that a millennial weened on shit like Breaking Bad is going to find the meager, once-every-twenty-epsiodes-then-never-mentioned-again character development and plot progression satisfactory? I
Except it's not like that.

But again, you're projecting YOUR tastes and don't seem to be aware that people can like different kinds of shows. I mean, you are also talking about the generation that made fucking VINES a thing, so I'm pretty sure they can handle things of a more episodic nature.

Thank you very much user I put a lot of heart into that post. I love Star Trek and only want to share the love

It has great lines from every crew member, and for once they all get to do something!

You mean you don't mind Spock's rocket boots or them singing Row Row Row Your Boat???
>tfw you still don't know what God would want with a starship

No one has recommended OP to watch The Trouble with Tribbles?

Shame.

There is such a thing as objective truth, user. Recommending TOS or TNG rather than Deep Space Nine is objectively wrong for the reasons discussed in this thread. For what reason are you so opposed to this?

I really don't know how that episode came to be so popular. There's nothing particularly special about it