Now that the dust has settled, we agree that dubstep was pretty good right?

Now that the dust has settled, we agree that dubstep was pretty good right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MPr5J35wNgg
youtu.be/QTYr0ZG0oyg
youtu.be/rDba3GGC1RU
youtu.be/vNviMS-pxs0
youtube.com/watch?v=E3Vs3uTBrcU
selectormoldy.com/files/ROOTS.jpg
4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Essential_Charts?file=1349357430907.jpeg
4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Essential_Charts?file=Dubstep.JPG
i.imgur.com/XOI97d7.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=Mxl33FZrLG8
youtube.com/watch?v=8WJy87e-1fg
youtube.com/watch?v=OlcDespG5G8
youtube.com/watch?v=zwmUOJR-GwA
youtube.com/watch?v=Cq93oe67DNo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

reddit

I personally prefer skream's remix of this

dubstep was great
youtu.be/MPr5J35wNgg
youtu.be/QTYr0ZG0oyg
youtu.be/rDba3GGC1RU

Dubstep is still great.
open.spotify.com/user/gbjerke111/playlist/6F1JDtZckqEC6sRsNDTBqM

You can tell Americans are asleep right now because, one, people are responding to this thread, and two, nobody's going "HURR DUBSTEP SUX ROBOTS HAVING SEX"

youtu.be/vNviMS-pxs0

an early one for ya

nice ass breakbeat-garridge right there

this one right here, from the early days of dubstep (in which it's connection to garage and grime was a lot more murky and long before the half-time style dominated) is a fucking classic. it's aged incredibly well for something produced back in 2002 (officially released in spring 03)

that is so clean my dude

never got into dubstep and you guys seem more knowledgeable than me about it, so is there a chart any of you have?

Well I'm not big into charts myself (spoonfeeding and all that), but there was this handy dandy map that came with the compilation which the above track is drawn from

yes

damn this is good, thanks famalam

apparently uploads aren't working now so:
selectormoldy.com/files/ROOTS.jpg

also Sup Forums curated ones from above 5/6 years ago, bit out of date and some bait stuff on there but not terrible:
4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Essential_Charts?file=1349357430907.jpeg
4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Essential_Charts?file=Dubstep.JPG

Also an /r/indieheads one that starts you off with LPs and moves you into EPs/singles (typical dance music release format). I don't like how it starts with Burial since his sound is very different from most other dubstep artists, but whatever:
i.imgur.com/XOI97d7.jpg

youtube.com/watch?v=Mxl33FZrLG8

proper tune .

Good dubstep/dubstep related labels to start with:
Tempa
Keysound
Hyperdub (up until about 2010ish)
DMZ
Deep Medi Musik
Chestplate
Ghost
Skull Disco
Big Apple
System Music
Tectonic
Hemlock Recordings (early)
Hessle Audio (early)
Hotflush
Swamp 81

Still fucking trying to save enough to buy that plate. I prefer Woman tho.

This one dun changed the game for me...

this is the most autistic screenshot I've ever seen
that being said, it's not relevant at all

Still trying to save enough to afford that plate. Midnight is awesome but Woman is the one that does it for me.

This one dun changed the game tho...

Why are you all so obsessed with the early stuff? There's so many new releases and I think a lot of it is amazing. Is it right to hate on the newer styles just because it's different from the classic stuff? Maybe if I grew up with jungle and pirate radios and all that I would feel different. To me the newer style seems more diverse and less predictable.

Ive tried to get into more of the old school style - I can see how it was amazing at the time, but listening to it now it sounds kind of dated.

Do you guys have this ideal that the music will never be as good as it once was?

Not trying to be rude, I don't know much about the history or culture. I just listen to a bunch of related artists and try to stay up to date on whathe they are doing.

youtube.com/watch?v=OlcDespG5G8

just to be clear, when you mention "new releases" do you mean new actual dubstep or skrillex-style brostep?

No not skrillex stuff. I just think the UKG sound has evolved into so many interesting styles. You got the future garage stuff, some of it you can dance to, some of it is melancholic and minimal. Some artists use features with other vocalists, others don't. Some are influenced by trappy snare drums, other by rolling highs.You got stuff that's like RnB, but clearly influenced by those melancholic and cinematic sounds In the grime scene there's all sorts of different flows, themes and beats. A lot of four to the floor stuff being made is very influenced as well. When I look up related artists, what I find is not always very similar.

I'm no music expert, but I have spent a fair amount of time these last 7-8 years listening almost exclusively to this UK influenced electronic music. I used to be a complete pleb listening to top 40 stuff, A few months after discovering Burial i had branched out from one artist to the next. Some of it was funky, other stuff was atmospheric, some stuff easy going, other stuff epic and hype.

If i try to listen to like a Ben UFO mix, even though i really WANT to like it - cus idk seems like a cool culture and all, I just cannot get into it.

can you namedrop some of the melancholy-side producers? I admit I have no clue about the current ukg-scene

Hey maybe it isn't even UKG, what do i know this genre game is fucking confusing. I think its pretty dope tho. Shuffle through this if you want, its pretty varied.

open.spotify.com/user/gbjerke111/playlist/3SX1qGRw5cPf4T4ZCiIa0O

Here's a list of some more "Burialesque" stuff, if you're into that. It requires a bit more patience to listen to though.,

oops forgot to link it

open.spotify.com/user/gbjerke111/playlist/0UmwIfRLYruk2pbJ62p57a

Heres some of the dubstep tracks i never get tired of

open.spotify.com/user/gbjerke111/playlist/6F1JDtZckqEC6sRsNDTBqM

Sometimes I still like to listen to Horsepower or Spaceape and stare at the wall like a mong.

never looked into oldschool dubstep much but i really fucking dig this, some early datsik is fine too
youtube.com/watch?v=zwmUOJR-GwA

There's an element to nostalgia behind most peoples opinions. For example, this will always be my favourite sort of UKG because that was what was on the radio when I was a kid.
youtube.com/watch?v=Cq93oe67DNo

My issue with some of the newer stuff is that it aims to be experimental just for the sake of it rather than being something that could be played out in a club or a set. One of the key examples for this that got discussed a lot when it came out was Logos - Cold Mission. Technically it was a fantastic release but it wasn't something I enjoyed listening to from start to finish and I wouldn't think it could easily be mixed into a Grime or Garage set. In the same way, Mumdance & Logos experiemental Grime mix CD (Presents Different Circles last) year was completely shit, whereas their LP Proto which was dance floor oriented was great.

It takes a legit god tier producer like Shackleton to make truly experimental music which is still somehow accessible.