>Tfw our last thread was pruned due to divegrass and egghand shitposting

Today:

Archery Team event
A load of athletics as usual, lots of 200/400 races with some 100/1500
3 Boccia finals
Equestrian team event (dressage)
7-a-side football
Goalball
Powerlifting (reaching the higher weight classes now)
Sailing begins
Shooting 50m rifle, 3 positions
Sitting volleyball
A gorillion swimming events as ever
Singles table tennis finals
Wheelchair basketball
Wheelchair fencing begins
Wheelchair tennis continues

I know. We need to keep the thread bumped now because of all the shitty yank threads.

Have you seen the Algerian guy on 1500m T13? 1.5s better than the Olympic Gold

Why can't he run in the olympics?

Have no idea. I guess he had never ran against ppl with full sight.
And I was reading that 1500m is a very volatile competition because the winner time depends of the overall pace of the others. The WR is almost 15 seconds lower than the Olympic Gold time.

Does he require a guide?

No, T13 can't use a guide. On T12 it's optional and on T11 is mandatory.

Nevermind, I just saw the highlights. Most of them surely could compete in the Olympics. I don't see why not.

The first 4 did a better time than the Olympic champion this year. It's just amazing.

Blind fencing is being streamed today, so I think I'll check that out

Truly amazing indeed.

>T13: sight between 2/60 and 6/60 (a.k.a -5.00 diopters and above) and/or visual field of less than 20 degrees

why are the chinese doping so hard in swimming?

how does this work

>blind fencing

Good job, dummy. I meant to say wheelchair fencing.

Another day, another swim.

Amazing footwork

has anyone ever been caught faking a handicap in the paralympics? like not actually being blind?

Didn't knew that it's was possible to have two golds in swimming these days.

Uzbekistan anthem sounds nice by the way.

There's been some controversy this year about people possibly being classified in the wrong classifications (ie putting people into a class for more disabled people than themselves for medal winning chances).
Also this
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheating_at_the_Paralympic_Games#Basketball_controversy
>Spain was stripped of their intellectual disability basketball gold medals shortly after the Games closed[8] after Carlos Ribagorda, a member of the victorious team and an undercover journalist, revealed to the Spanish business magazine Capital that most of his colleagues had not undergone medical tests to ensure that they had a disability. The IPC investigated the claims and found that the required mental tests, which should show that the competitors have an IQ of no more than 70,[9] were not conducted by the Spanish Paralympic Committee (CPE).

Times within the same hundredth of a second are counted as the same. There was a double gold in the olympics swimming programme too.

Mariyappan Thangavelu won India's first Paralympics gold medal in Rio with an impressive jump of 1.89m in men's T42 event on Saturday.
The high jumper showed perfect technique to bring India its first gold since 2004.
Thangavelu's win also means that India's paralympians have already outperformed India's Olympic contingent of more than 100 athletes.

India has never had an olympic medal, right?

Not true, I remember one bronze in Rio. Dunno about the gold.

Oh wait, I was thinking of Bangladesh.
India has had a load of golds in hockey decades ago apparently.

Silver in Badminton last month

Why is Ukraine so good here? What's the secret?

War provides us with a lot of fit and motivated amputees.
To be true - I don't know. Maybe Ukraine is such a shitty country to live if you are disabled, that even winning medals is easier than travel across the city on public transport.
I am surprised US is not that good in Paralympics, they have a lot of disabled veterans after all.

US doesn't care about paralympics, NBC shows like 5 hours of it total and that's it.

This is more of the event for athletes themselves, not for spectators.
>implying that Ukraine cares about Paralympics much
Well, now we care, since we are third in gold and second in medal count. Especially after worst Olympics for Ukraine in history (just 2 gold medals in Rio).

>second in medal count

Well, we were yesterday. Rio is not over anyway.

>this welsh shot put beast
hnnng

Today, I'll attend wheelchair tennis. Let's see if it's good.

JEJ at C4 hyping David Weir up when he's clearly past it he's not even won a marathon for 4 years

Have fun, user!

Growing up I used to judge countries by how well they treat disabled people and how many paralympic medals they got. It's shameful that USA is that low despite being a "rich" country.

It's more that the 400m isn't his event.
I think he'll be fine in the 1500/5000

>huemonkey
>called Israel
Wat

>beats Paralympic record in qualifying for final
>gets gold and sets new Paralympic record again
>Britania falls at the finish line and starts chillin' right there

Israel is a pretty ordinary name here...

He got so emotional in that interview he needed Johnny Vegas to come up cheer him up

>forced to traverse the mean, slippery streets of india with a gimp leg at an early age
>constantly jumping over heaps of human excrement
>able to clear taller and taller poo piles as he grows up
>lifetime of shit hurdling culminates in a gold medal at the paralympics
surely a story worthy of a bollywood musical

>missing out the bit with the ref

twitter.com/Channel4/status/775341233237393408

YOU GET YELLOW CARD WHITE MONKEY, YELLOW CARD!

Live /para/

/para/, do you think we will get a full Dutch half finales?

In what sport?

Shit, I can't believe I made that mistake. I meant the female wheelchair tenis tournament

tennis*

I will watch your women against the japs on doubles in a few hours

So how come China always dominate this? is it because, as I expect, they mask how disabled most of their athletes are, because they're a pathetic country obsessed with soft power?

Me too. I expect positive results

Here the TV only shows the apehoop, dunno why

Apehoop?

Chinese soft power is laughable tbqh. Even Korea has more.

Yes, in wheelchairs.

I'm so sorry, but I meant 'What does it mean?'

Basketball

Oh, It's "basketball" in memespeak.

Oh, thanks for the clarification you two. Wheelchair basketball seems to be really popular, because the Dutch television has broadcast every basketball match the Netherlands are involved in aswell

Wew, we're getting rekt by leaves

I'll send you pictures from your wheelie cuties from the arena.

>that black midget dancing

Wheelchair fencing is pretty cool desu

Thank you, but that isn't neccesarily. I'm watching the matches myself

Does it go any thicccer in this universe??

I said because I'll actually attend the event, so if you are going to be there either, let's grab a beer

Oh, really? I hope you have a great time. As for myself, I'm following it through a livestream. I can't afford to book a trip to Brazil and even if I wanted, I'm still a student.

Many, including the most in field hockey

>tfw thread inactive as fuck

Yeah, it really is a shame. It's a shame that Marjolein Buis just lost aswell. She had a shoulder injury though, so it's understandable.

>tfw no more Esther Vergeer to rek everything in sight

I'M HERE user!
LET'S GET THIS PARA PARTY STARTED

with a bang!

Is nobody watching the power lifting?
Iranian going for another WR after just breaking one (which was his own WR) absolute madman.

We still got Griffioen and van Koot though

>give angry cripples swords
go for the knees

USA just savaged GB in basketball, will probably also be the gold medal match and result will also probably be the same

wheelchair basketball is really the marquee disabled event. Its funny in the grand scheme of the paralympics its only worth 2 gold medals but theres like 6 games a day and consistent crowds

British TV has RJ Mitte on (the derp from breaking bad) and he talks like he's literally never seen disabled sport before. He uses "amazing" like 4 times every sentence

That American is really fast...

>He uses "amazing" like 4 times every sentence
That's just Americans

Has the rugby already started?

Wednesday

I agree with it being the marquee sport. Even I am watching basketball right now. The Netherlands are getting rekt by Spain.

spain are good and der nederland is sadly not, I think the women are a bit better but you're not going to medal, soz m8

>are great britian going to take their frustrations out on the irish
Wouldn't be the first time

The wheelchairs are fixed in position.
So it's really just chair fencing?

>fencing in chairs
>just chair fencing
i'm not sure what you expected

If you took any pictures, post them here anyway! I'm sure the rest of us would like to see them.

By the way, have I missed the boccia? I wanted to see that, just so I could find out how it works.

Ok. I shall explain it to you in overlong sarcastic detail.
My point was that there is no reason for them to be in wheelchairs.
You see, the wheels on wheelchairs are there primarily to facilitate movement. Having the wheelchairs fixed in position makes the wheels redundant, because the competitors are unable to move around - all they can do is lean out of the way.
Thus, they may as well be sitting on regular chairs.

I'm guessing you're an S14?

What are >we meant to be frustrated about?

>tfw no deck chair fencing

7 a side football. Lost first two games narrowly so beat on the irish 5-1

they're in wheelchairs so they can move into position to duel, most of them use wheelchairs daily so its what they're used to, the wheelchairs are designed to facilitate leaning while keeping the compititor secure and protected. There's literally no reason for them not to be using wheelchairs.

Calling me an S14 is good banter tho

I was watching it; I just assumed >we were GOAT since we were killing Ireland at it. Turns out I was wrong, though, so thank you for clearing that up.

Amelie Le Fur is my frenchfu

Cute!

choke