/tennis/ US Open final aftermath

Should Djokovic get rid of Becker? I think the guy has given Novak all he has to offer. Novak needs to develop a more attacking game to shorten points. He barely came to the net in this match. The "greatest returner and defender of all time" meme is not enough against aggressive opponents anymore. If Djokovic can change his game, just like he did when he appointed Becker, I believe he can win 3-4 more Slams.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11210572
youtube.com/watch?v=P9ppHA5G5P8
bleacherreport.com/articles/1307076-donald-young-american-tennis-player-ends-historic-losing-streak
youtube.com/watch?v=3d2gqWzj8k0
fancybear.net/
wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2016-09/wada-confirms-attack-by-russian-cyber-espionage-group
twitter.com/AnonBabble

this guy is a legend

Talk about the fucking match

a couple not so quick points.

- called murray going out around the first weekend) yes im that guy.

- nadal is legitimately done.

- monfils tactics in the semi were completely fine and kinda brilliant in my book. he may have been tanking at 5-0 but by the end of that 5-1 game it was clear that it was fucking bot up so it made sense to continue; if anything i think he should have memed it up harder in the second.

- wawrinka for sure got better as the tournament went on (again)

- tactically, bot played the worst major final ive ever seen. idk if its poor coaching or physical or mental issues but wow. the first set especially was terrible for both players and i actually think djokovic played better later, but then his injuries/cramping took their toll and also wawrinka improved much more as it went on. wawrinka looked like someone with no legs who was also nervous especially early, and bot was winning every point when he pulled stan off the court; instead of learning and adapting though he would mostly just push while not doing much of anything. basically hit stan into a rhythm and into the match. once stan got that rhythm (and started serving body more) it pushed him over. bot also obviously just terrible on bps and not sure why he was constantly going for so much on first serves. odd match. stan was just so much smarter and that was the difference imo.

- pouille is definitely the best hope for the french going forward

- kei needs better conditioning (we knew this)

- bot looked like he had poor conditioning too and terrible even by his standards (this was more surprising)

- a fucking leaf

womens in next post.

i was suprised to see in the match stats that wawrinka covered more distance than djokovic did.

wawrinka admitted in an interview he was absolutely shot after the match, but he hid it well. his movement was maybe the most impressive thing to me.

- kerber needs to fix her second serve and stop wandering off during matches. she's the best player in the world this year but she can be better

- serena will win at least one major next year, probably two

- pliskova choked so fucking badly and it seemed like the coverage team was avoiding mentioning it. kerber was melting down and then still managed a quick hold to 2-3 and plisky completely imploded. hopefully this doesn't define her career in majors like a zvonareva, safina, dementieva, jankovic, etc

- wozniacki still needs to learn to move forward and be competent at the net. she can play more aggressively in every other regard (or not apparently, depending) and it wont matter because she's so fucking terrible up there that it'll remain a fatal flaw.

- radwanska and halep might literally be on suicide watch and i get the sense that their window is closing and they know it, especially because..

- eventually muguruza is going to figure it out and become at least slightly more consistent and also..

- azarenka would almost certainly be a top 4 player right now if she had a full season. kind of hate her but be curious to see how she comes back from a kid.

- starting to think venus has been slightly unlucky these last few years and deserves better, but on the flip side she was fucking terrible in that wimbledon semi.

- the two serbs are definitively done in my book.

- overall the "top" players are still generally inconsistent and i think we'll still be seeing at least 1 or sometimes maybe 2 fluke semifinalists and maybe 1 finalist per major for the foreseeable future.

I agree with most of your points here. I don't think plisky choked though, Kerber went clutch mode and out played her those final 2-3 games. I only see Serena winning one slam at most next year. hopefully we will see Maria back next season as well. Muguruza isn't a one slam wonder. Keys will be next top player and start winning slams within the next few years (maybe not next year)

meant to say Mugu IS a one slam wonder

Wawrinka looking like Reiko (mortal combat 4) this tournament (maybe because those clothes)
he was a deserved winner i'm so happy for that dude
About Pouille, what if he just had a great match? maybe he's not thaat good, only time will tell
also i think Nadal still can comeback at least for a couple of years if he recovers soon

Is peak Stan the highest level of tennis ever seen? #politeenquiries

Pouille just made the wimbledon quarters bro, hes here for good.

Why do France, Australia and England have a Grant slam although they've never produced a Tennis goat like Becker or Graf?
When will Germany finally get a grant slam?

strawpoll.me/11210572

-Kerber: Agree on second serve. In addition she nedds to strengthen her legs so she has more power when going down. She needs to improve her mental strength. She's aready very stable but it a point she can certainly get even better. No player recently on tour was such a mental monster. This abitlity could really turn the tide in future matches.

-Serena: is finished

-Pliskovas: We'll see if they can hold that level. We see many players with similar athletics who were very promising but eventually became major choker (see Ivanobitch)

-radwanska and halep: femlets who already reached their maximum performances. They won't get any better and they have to big disadvantages due to their physique

-Muguruza: promissing, tall bitch. needs to be more consistens. Can become Kirby's nemesis.

-Vika: Was already very good. Has a good statistic against Kirby. We'll see how stron she returns. Usually the benefits of pragnancy should outweight the forced break. However, this is far from be a sure thing.

-Venus: was finished a long time ago

-MaSha: Won't return. She took medication for recovery for years. Her body wil never be able to perform without on a professional level.

I think Djokovic have been poor tactically since the French Open and throughout the USO. Probably just fatigue I'd guess.

probably yeah.. maybe peak cilic too, but he's a cunt so this doesn't count

Masha will return. and be the sole player to challenge Kerber for that top spot

What do you guys think will be the end-of-career stats be?

My thoughts:
Fed 17
Djoko 17
Nadal 14
Murray 8
Stan 4

djokovic needs to work on a plan b, it's pretty clear now that he can't just keep grinding against an in form stan and hope things will turn around in game - he needs to actually put the match on his racquet at some point

>Doko 17
>Nadal 14
>Murray 8

pretty bold predictions, don't see murray or djoker winning 5 more slams each at all. i think djoker will finish with 15 (2 more aussies, 1 more french) and murray like 6 (wimbledon and who knows what).

Nadal is finished

fed 18
nole 15
rafa 14
ebam 7
phtan 5
nick 0

Nole is gassed and I doubt he has another 3 Slam season in him, will peak at his favorite Slams only from now on, imo: 14 Slams
Federer is a strange case, he needs to everything to fall perfectly into place for him to get another Slam: 17
Nadal is a ship that has sailed: 14
Murray won't retire before he wins the Aussie: 4
Stan is too old: 3

Thiem 12
Kyrgios 5

Fed 18
Nadal 15
Djoko 15
Murray 6
Stan 3

so you're basically implying you think 4 out the next 8 slams in the next couple years will be won by new people.

Don't see it.

brasilian logic

I miss Andy Roddick.

Fed 17
Djoko 15
Murray 4
Stan 4
Nadal 0 (banned because of roids)

me too, idk why i thought the guy was a dick, he's chill and humble as fuck

He even lives in your state.

Post career-ending injuries

yeah i see him with his girlfriend everytime

why is pro tennis becoming an older game?

kerber oldest first time number one at 28. stan winning majors 28 and on. serena and venus still going.

"young guns" now means someone like anime who is 26 or kyrgios who is 21.

Then you do have teens like Konjuh but she realistically still is not considered a contender at slams.

Genie will win a slam next year.

screencap this.

She won't make the quarters of any of them. Cap this.

watch this

it's kawaii as fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=P9ppHA5G5P8

I think fitness and physical development are a much bigger deal now, which pushed the peak years from the late teens to early 20's into the mid to late 20's. The kids just can't compete until they've put in the physical work. Players take better care of themselves, so they can still compete in their 30's. Stan's still a bit of an anomaly though, totally different career arc from Murray, Federer, Nadal, and Joker. The women's game I think is just kind of weak.

Wtf I thought Siegemund was a qt

-Kerber: Not German

you just know

She is already declining, man. I predict a Wozniacki career path for her.

it was a sophmore slump

wait for the comeback

i'm so glad kvitova raped her at that wimbly final, she'll never reach another one again and i'm gald that basic bitch is headed for irrelevancy soon

All jokes aside, will Canada dominate men's tennis in ten years?

no USA will. my man tiafoe will have 15 majors by then

Canada got Auger-Aliassime and Shapovalov

That's a pretty bold question IMHO. There are thousands of players who have been great and won junior tournament titles when they were teenagers only to then totally underperform and become irrelevant once they reach the grand leagues.

Richard Gasquet, Gael Monfils, Dimitrov and Peliwo are good examples of what I'm talking about. I seriously wouldn't venture to make such predictions.

>German blood
>born in Germany
>raised german
>aryan looks
>representing Germany
>embodies the Prussian Virtues

Can't get anymore german than this.

Kerbse confirmed aryan valkyrie.

Maybe Murray could win more.

literally in love with kerber's crouching backhand and her impressive thighs.

she just needs to work on her serve more.

I think she's cute in a sort of rural farm girl way

>Ryan Sweeting

She is incredibly cute. Only second to Kerber. But on the other hand Kerbe isn't even human in terms of cuteness.

Based stan keeping djokovic from reaching feds GS record. A true friend and patriot

Annika Beck and Lisicki are both qter germans than Siegmund. Just off the top of my head

gets deep dicked by a nigger

>$1,000,000 in career prize money

how the fuck do these nobodies get so much prize money

don't liek Beck nor Lisicki. But atleast this means less competition for both of us.

Donald Young is also a notorious case, he once had a losing strike of 17 consecutive matches.

>bleacherreport.com/articles/1307076-donald-young-american-tennis-player-ends-historic-losing-streak

u must be old nigga

as of now my son and tsonga are no longer considered elite

all frenchies are no longer elite until they learn how to step up in the big moments.

they were never elite. especially myson

I will literally crash Sup Forums with no survivors the day Rafa wins another slam

me as well my nigga. i love rafa

Rafa has 1 more slam in him for sure.

Yes, I also believe this. One more Roland Garros or Australian Open will be his in the next 2 years. Nadal needs to start doing what Federer did when he noticed he was declining: Stop playing unnecessary tournaments and doubles and just focus on the Slams. His body needs more rest now between tournaments to remain injury-free but he keeps abusing it, so it never heals properly.

>- radwanska and halep might literally be on suicide watch and i get the sense that their window is closing and they know it, especially because..

soul-crushingly true but the fact is Aga should already have at least one (Wimbledon 2013) if not two (Aussie Open 2014). ultimately, she's a massive over-achiever who all things considered has had a remarkable career, but at this point I'd be very surprised if she actually won one

Halep has had some looks too but is still fairly young and has plenty of room to improve, and figures to have a few years on tour without Serena. Wouldn't be surprised if she ended up with a couple.

yes especially with nole's poor form recently

just rewatched the men's final

the thing that really stood out at for me was the way bot collapsed at the end of the second set

he had been playing well to start that set, putting pressure on wawrinka's serve. then after stan held to make it 5-4 and it went to djovokic's serve he just disappeared. I really don't know what happened there. If he had held that and the set went to tie break he had a good chance of taking that set, and 2 sets up to none he almost certainly would have won the match.

You just don't see that from unquestionable number 1s. I have a feeling next year is going to be more of a toss up in terms of slam winners.

Tsonga is elite m8, he just.... doesn't try that hard, he's having a good time everytime, but dude's fucking good when he wants to

Elite talent maybe, but one Slam Final and no Slam titles isn't elite.

all depends what he means. Tsonga is a quarterfinals threat at literally every open, just gets fucked by the big 4 because of dat backhand

>u must be old nigga

Don't know why you get the impression from what I wrote but I'm actually 25. So you can tell me if this is old or not.

lads I already miss tennis

even though it wasn't the greatest at times, that US Open really picked itself up towards the end. Then just as it got really good, all of sudden it's over.

ah....

2017 will be australia's year, calling it now

Do you think Tomic and Kyrgios will finally get their shit together and rise from obscurity?

true, 2012 was good so maybe every 5 years you can deliver a good final

Tomic is a meme player who'll be in the same category as Dolgopolov in a couple years, as in disappeared.

Kyrgios has the size and weapons but not the head yet. A lot like early Stan. I think if he doesn't flame out and gets serious about the game in a few years he could be a slam threat.

I think tomic is fucked unless he gets a very good coach on board who forces him to be more aggressive, otherwise he'll just sit around the 10-20 mark forever

kyrgios is my hope, I don't think he'll be the next GOAT but stan winning so many slams in the last couple of years gives me a lot of hope for him - he is a similar player in that when he gets hot he is nearly unbeatable and can steamroll through tournaments

I also think kokk will make a good comeback and we have some other handy youth coming through

Is Stan actually going to complete his Grand Slam next year? I give him 60%. TFW

Tomic? Haha, yeah right his ship has sailed. And he's not gonna pull a Wawrinka either. Better off going with kyrios

That's a lot to ask of Stan. He struggles with that quick grass ball, prefers more time to set up his shot

try actually reading the post properly m8

no chance simply because it's on grass

If Stan wants to succeed on grass he needs to take the ball earlier.

What kind of German name is Angelique? I doubt she is 100% Deutsch.

Germany has always been very particular on given names. For example take the world famous car brand Mercedes. The origin of the name is the given name of Emil Jellinek's daughter Mercédès which - as you certainly know - is of spanish origin. However, Jellinek wasn't affiliated in no way with Spain (His other two children were named Fernand Raoul and Adolph btw.).

In Germany there also was the phenomenon of giving children americanized names (Kevin, Sandy/Mandy/Cindy, Kim, Ashley). Besides that there is also the usage of francophone names (Jerome, Pascal, Maurice, Michelle, André etc).
This was very common in lower-class ethnic german families in Eastern Germany after the Wiedervereinigung.
There are also significant differences in occupation groups. For example prostitutes often tend to give their children mediterranean sounding names (Rocco, Riccardo, Guilio/Guilia/Gina/Giana, Luca).

Like I said, this is a phenomenon widely represented in the ethnic german lower-class population.
I personally don't know any Angeliques but a similar name which I often saw on middle and upper-class families was Monique.
Don't know why this is but almost all Moniques in Germany have no other ethnic background than german. It could be the same with Angelique.

Can anyone provide a link for the kirby.gifs?

Will we see a German LaShaniqua or Tyrone in the future?

Angelique is french , she mostly has french orgins

most likely.

""""""german names"""""""
>youtube.com/watch?v=3d2gqWzj8k0

forgot pic

>This is nourishing, redemptive; we become less alone inside.

Is Nadal a closet faggot?

how are you guys not talking about this? it's all over plebbit /r/tennis

fancybear.net/

>serena doping
>people are surprised
wew

> I have a feeling next year is going to be more of a toss up in terms of slam winners.

I think it's too soon for that kind of downfall from Djokovic, those Summer problems were most likely fatigue of playing so much tournaments in the last couple of seasons without barely any rest. If I was him I'd take it easy in the indoor season (Murray can't catch him anyway) and start preparing for 2017. At his age he should think of playing less weeks per year, like Federer does.

No.

>Doping in pro sports is surprising
Wew.
>Serena and Venus having medical exemption for doping is surprising
Double wew if you remember that Agassi got away with it.

btw this attack has been confirmed by the World Anti Doping Agency (WADA)

wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2016-09/wada-confirms-attack-by-russian-cyber-espionage-group

NOOOO FUCK

RIP in peace WTA if this is true, forget the glory and the rewriting of history, you're talking abut a fraud of tens of millions of dollars