Any good Australian movies?

Any good Australian movies?

Yes, not that one though.

almost all Aussie films revolve around war.

I liked it, posh English woman falls for the rugged Aussie cowboy...

Suggest me some pls

Odd since Aus hasn't been involved in THAT many wars

The Babadook and These Final Hours are pretty decent smaller films.
Owls of Gahoole is amazingly animated.
Too bad our film industry is rather small.

Almost all our movies are small-scale depressing dramas or outback horror films.

Why do we suck
Atleast there's Fury Road

Australia forgot it made Wake in Fright

What kind of country does that

Bad Boy Bubby is essential oz kino. For some more mainstream classics I would recommend:
>Gallipoli
>Chopper
>Flirting
>Two Hands
>The Castle

Other good shit includes but is not limited to:
>The Proposition
>Animal Kingdom
>Romper Stomper
>Loved Ones

Save those to your list, all are great and diverse in their genre, but most importantly, all are Australian. Let me know if you have a specific idea in mind as to what you're looking for content wise.

Romper Stomper.

aussie horror is generally a safe bet

What was that ned kelly comedy?
Young kelly? That and the one where he split the atom abd invented beer

Oh shit, I totally forgot my favourite - sorry for spamming your thread user

I was gonna ask if anyone else had seen this. How would we even classify it? Weird Aussie psychodrama? Abstract horror film?

>"All the little devils are proud of hell"

Young Einstein
Reckless kelly

Larrikino

Young Einstein! And he loves his apples. A classic, but not sure if it's aged well.

I guess not mentioned in this thread so far that I've liked are Snowtown and The Rover.

Just watched Snowtown

Really good, but such a depressing film

young einstein.

seconding this

You spend the whole film waiting for the Yabba guys to turn on him Deliverance-style and it never happens. The only enemy chasing him is himself.

Also, kangeroo massacre.

Funny cos i grew up in oz and the teachers kept glorifying the anzacs in wwi.
This confused me a lot because wwi waa nowhere near australia

Beautiful Kate
In Her Skin

My english teacher made us watch this in year 12, I actually really enjoyed it given I'd never heard of it before.

Rescuers Down Under mate

>coming-of-age dramady with giallo flourishes

We made some interesting shit in the 70's.

All of the Mad Max films

It was our first war as a new nation, not that mysterious

Dog days

It's not Australian thank god

>On the Beach(2000)
>Gettin' Square
>Son of a Gun

LOVE SERENADE

Truly a hidden gem. much like the great Toni Collette.

Fuck you Australia. Why are you so supremely Aryan & shit.

Lantana

Some early Peter Weir.

Massively underrated film.

I've heard it's good stuff.

Just recently watched Gallipoli. A+.

Whatever that movie is where the kids get stranded in the outback and there's an aboo who dances himself to death sure was memorable when I saw it as a kid.

Thats Walkabout, which is australias best film

Walkabout

Still, my 11 year old self couldnt understand why australians would glorify such a tragic war in which young australians were sent to their deaths for nothing.
I couldbt relate to why people would be proud of that

Priscilla queen of the desert.
Are there any other faggot/drag core films out of aussie?

Rolf ''Ten Canoes'' De Heer's artsy edgelord phase spawned this hidden gem.

I've never met an Australian who didn't treat it the same as everyone else treats their country-men lost during WWI. There's glorification of the people lost, but not the war.

They're hardly gonna glorify the wars against the aborigines, are they? Or the Boer war after the Break Morant business.

>Why do we suck
Everyone with talent leaves.

It was never about glory, it's about remembering those we lost. It's also about distrusting the Brits when they send us on impossible missions in their name.

It's also about having crack and getting around your mates faggot. We even respected the turks by playing soccer with them, basically tying in with our egalitarianism bordering on nihilism.

As in filmed in Australia or created by an Australia director?

In any case

The Castle
Mad Max Trilogy
The Piano
The Road (if going by Australian director)

desu most the movies filmed here are shit AAA mega blockbusters that are filmed on the Gold Coast because it's cheap as fuck and the government is so desperate for the entertainment industry to come here they literally pay them to film here.

Remember this shit? Guilty pleasure for me, desu.

aussies do apocalyptic well

>there was movement at the station, for word had passed around that the colt from old regret had got away, and had joined the wild bush horses...

Just how bad was this?

Their country is an eternal apocalypse.

Van Diemen's Land.

Not as good as Gallipoli but still pretty bloody good.

The Rover was alright

>It's also about distrusting the Brits when they send us on impossible missions in their name.
You're colonial troops. It's your fucking job to die for the motherland and her empire so suck it up.

fookin noice

my old neighbour Mrs. Bickley would recite the whole thing every christmas

There's another film coming out next year about Tasmanian convicts, by the director of the Babadook. Looking forward to it desu, if only because I'm one of the few Australians who is fascinated by the colonial era

Based Mendelsohn.

Babe and Babe: Big City Rumble Times are actual masterpieces

Seconding Gallipoli, chopper, and romper stomper.

I raise you young einstein.

>Every Aussie war film is just about thousands of them running into machine guns and dying because British officers told them to

Being an ANZAC would've been suffering.

>Babe is australian

Well fuck me. For some reason I've gone all this time thinking it was a brit movie, or at least taking place in britain.

Snowtown is hardcore depressing and brutal. Good film!

Lol was just about to post this. Poor ANZAC.

>Big City Rumble Times
What?

It's literally directed by george miller of mad max fame

>Odd since Aus hasn't been involved in THAT many wars

Nigga Australia has been at war more often than it hasn't since it's existed.

Film only for absolute madmen!
Also this is how I picture australians.

The second one was. He just wrote and produced the first one.

It was filmed in Australia but I'm pretty sure the film is supposed to be set in England. I mean the book it's based off of takes place in England and I remember it being England when I watched it as a kid.

Oh right. I had in my mind he did the first but not the second.

Pretty much every WWI movie is about grunts running into machine guns because British officers told them to.

>That one short on Youtube about the British soldier getting shellshock/PTSD and getting put in front of a firing squad for being a traitor/coward

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN

Struggling to think of a bad performance from him. Even early low-key stuff like pic related and The Big Steal he's great.

So a shitty paths of glory?

He's a very passed-over actor, it seems. He's been working in the business for around 30 years and it's only around the time of Animal Kingdom that everyone seemed to take notice.

there is a car very similar to that in the canberra museum. name escapes me, belonged to a tinker with a very smooth tongue.

deserves his own movie desu

In small towns, especially hill country, some still kind of are.

The GOAT

> inb4 contrarian fags who think the original is better

The sequel is more enjoyable than the first but the original has a certain quality to it. Humongous doesn't creep me out the same way Toecutter does.

Body Melt

idk it could be NZ but i'm pretty sure it's aussie

maybe, but my teachers kept talking about how anzacs built australia, saved australia etc, and kept going on about how brave they were to run into enemy fire and die etc.
i mean yes it was brave and tragic but this literally is one of the big things that define australian identity, but historically its a footnote.
i mean if you want to talk about sacrifice talk about aussie soldiers and pows in new guinea in ww2

We were newly federated and Gallipoli is what defined us as a nation.

Of course the first major war they fought is going to define them when that war is WWI.

quigly down under

I can't admit that the first one is without it's merits. Even though it was shoestring budgeted and a horribly paced second act I still watch it now and then. Mad Max 2 is the film Miller was trying to make but he just didn't have the budget.

However, they are both great examples of how Aussies make fucking about in the boonies an iconic piece of cinema.

how?

This wasn't bad.

It was the first big international thing we were involved in after becoming an official country. Please stop pretending.

well i dont understand nationalism, so there we go

These final hours was pretty good. Depressing as hell, but good.

Yeah, you don't understand nationalism because you haven't experienced the place you were born in gaining nation-status, and immediately getting thrown into a futile world war, and you're too autistic to be able to put yourself in the place of people who did see that happen.

What kind of things do you think makes sense for defining a nation through the impact it had on its populace?

Mini-series not a movie but if you're a paddle-steamer fan it's pretty GOAT.