Why is no one talking about this?

Why is no one talking about this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lhAr_UeroCk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lyrically its his worse. he has said way more meaningful stuff under his j.tillman alias

instrumentally its really good. but the ballads over and over just kill me for enjoying this album.

>lyrically its his best

FTFY

Complaining about the lack of music variety on this thing is completely fair and understandable, but the lyrics are easily his most impactful yet. This is not up for debate.

alright pls share these impactful lyrics
enlighten me

the entirety of the title track

let's start with the obvious: the entirety of the title track.

no break it down and explain to me why they are impactful

are you fucking deaf?

Just started listening to it, on Leaving LA right now.

Total Entertainment Forever and Things That Would... are great, Birdie wasn't very good though.

this shoegazey bit on Magic Mountain caught me completely off guard, damn.

Reminds me of an Elton John ballad with mediocre vocals.

Fear fun is the superior album anyways, he's gone to shit he's better with catchy,fun stuff. Dorm room philosophy shit this album is

>Why is no one talking about this?
Sup Forums has an aversion to most really good music.

I'm assuming this album is quality from the snippets and singles, but still gonna wait for the official release.

I feel like he tries to do basically the same thing he did on that previous album, but a lot of the songs sound too similar, like filler kinda, and almost all of the lyrics are just "dude religion is stupid", "dude the world is completely fucked", "dude everyone is an idiot except me", and he has absolutely none of the genuine emotion or innovative songwriting that the new SKM does. I think the new SKM is actually kind of a good comparison because they have similar themes, about the world being fucked up and the masses being stupid and stuff like that but Mark does it in such a beautiful, honest way, whereas FJM sounds like he's just half-assing this ironic indie lyrical style and backing it with the most beautiful arrangements possible but without anything that's actually interesting or experimental. and again in comparison, Mark/SKM managed to have beautiful instrumentation on their new album with pretty sparse instrumentation.

you're so wrong. there's no moment on here even close to
>maybe love is just an economy based on resource scarcity
>but what I fail to see is what that's got to do with you and me
Nothing on this album is so unapologetically, sincerely beautiful and earnest as that. See I get he's trying to be aloof and above it all or whatever but the "wake up sheeple!" lyrics are doing nothing for me, and if we really do bring Sun Kil Moon's new album into this, there's no real competition.

lmao good post duder

this

Where have you been?

>I get he's trying to be aloof and above it all or whatever but the "wake up sheeple!" lyrics are doing nothing for me

And they're doing everything for me. Because he's singing about a lot of things that i've been thinking of lately. I've been at odds with my family over a lot of these subjects since the election, so this is hitting me pretty hard right now. Just like Bored in the USA and Holy Shit did 2 years ago.

desu these societal commentaries aren't tickling my anus either, but they're still good songs (like how Bored in the USA was, even though it said nothing particularly new).

I still prefer his first FJM album though. Just great songs with passion, some personal reflection, some story telling. Good shit.

uh, you might be a crazy person. having different views from others, especially political, in no way makes you better than them

makes sense now. edgy kids with no argument skills love fjm

because thsi isnt reddit

>edgy kids with no argument skills
>having a soul is "edgy"
>implying i'm not likely older than you

I don't know what my "argument skills" are because i have no interest in arguing. Especially with you people. It's a waste of my time.

>He has said way more meaningful stuff under his J. Tillman alias

He has literally said the opposite of this in like every interview

this is you youtube.com/watch?v=lhAr_UeroCk
i hope you grow up one day my man

Not everyone here listens to basic bitch indie trash

Lol how did you reach the conclusion that he thinks he's better than his family? sounds like you might be the crazy person.

Sure thing, but saying "basic bitch" indubitably makes you one too. So there's that.

educate yourself

"im at odds with my family"
think that says it all.

That says nothing about superiority.

in no way does that mean he thinks he's better than his family

in what world do you live in "odds" means on equal terms

my assumption was that they mutually butt heads due to each side being passionate about their own beliefs. but hey, yeah, your conclusion makes sense too.

"at odds" means they don't agree about things
not that they're unequal

>come to music discussion board
>don't want to discuss music
he said he relates to fjm's aloof and superior attitude, specifically with regard to his own family's political leanings. that's retarded.

So... An Elton John ballad? Ayy

he said he relates to the subjects in the lyrics, you twat. not the way FJM sounds.

at odds
phrase of odds
in conflict or at variance.

He didn't say that either. He said he like the lyrics. Liking something you agree with isn't the same as adopting the attitudes that you're ascribing to FJM. And you're a presumptuous little bitch.

>"hitting me pretty hard" isn't agreeing with the subject matter
cut the mental gymnastics
its okay to be superior bro!

You can be at odds AND on equal terms.

I'm allowed to think that my uncle and my grandfather are idiots for chaining themselves to a set of ideals. That doesn't mean i think i'm "superior" to them. I don't think i'm superior to anybody. I don't look at that.

>why Trump won: the thread

>green texting something that wasn't said or implied
Internetting is fun

"I've been at odds with my family over a lot of these subjects since the election, so this is hitting me pretty hard right now. Just like Bored in the USA and Holy Shit did 2 years ago."

..... thats exactly what he said

Not really a big fan of FJM (although he has made some very comfy songs like Ballad of a Dying Man) but man do I love how angry he gets people. He's like new age punk.

But I never said he didn't agree on the subject matter. Which is what you green texted like a simpleton.

not really, he's just a pretentious cock

then proceed to clarify what you meant buddy.

Dude, cmon.

SKM is the one who rambles about everything he sees, and he's the one who's try hard as fuck. Plus 8-11 minute instrumentals that don't really build, kind of bother the duck out of me. Benji is genuine and emotional...the new album is absolute shit and is yelling for fucking attention the whole time.

On the other hand, FJM tackles his songs and songwriting with very solid verse chorus pop structures with dense but elegant instrumentation. His lyrical themes go in and out of POV and a societal view, and to me has the chance to invoke more change throughout our society. FJM isn't scared talk about topics in a highly intelligent and intellectual way, while SKM just rambles about it and "dabbles" in hip hop. LOL

>he's not controversial
>I JUST THINK HES A FUCKING COCK

fjm preaching to his bourgeois audience isn't gonna change anything.
skm connects with everybody working class and high.

>and to me has the chance to invoke more change throughout our society.
you can't really think this pretentious twat's use of irony (so clever) will change anything?

no that he's not some new kind of punk revolution

I have a friend who wouldn't stop bringing up FJM's sexual or 'vulgar' lyrics, saying that it was 'shock factor' and that he found it super distasteful.

This same guy who likes Tupac, and The Locust, and Of Montreal, and countless other bands with more graphic and lewd lyrics. And yet, he'd get super pissed and denounce FJM to no end.

It was so clear I'll just quote it. Just because he like the lyrics doesn't mean he adopts the attitudes you ascribe to FJM.

Not everything he sings even contains irony. Artists have been influencing and affecting change in society for thousands of years. It's not an outlandish opinion for a fan to think FJM could too, especially with such a well timed and topical album (that was being recorded before the rise of Trump, btw).

i disagree on fjm changing anything. he stopped his show and warned his "fans" about trump and they still did nothing. yet got mad at him for not performing

mark my words skm will have an impact on future generations.

dr.john misty

Yes I believe he will invoke some change, especially more than "I'm a blue collar working middle age white dude rambling about everything I see". Father John Misty is preaching truth, and we are sheeple. Has the last year or so in the world not showed as that? The more that message, and the solutions that can solve it, are introduced more to mainstream audiences in this generation, the more genuine change it will invoke.

He kinda is.
Much of the earlier punk movement had their shock factor in things which are now laughed at in this intensely careless society. FJM is like a complete mocking of society, and he certainly riles most people's jimmies.

wow

It's good but not I Love You Honeybear good.

>those lyrics
lmao do people who fawn after this guy just never read a book or are they sincerely so retarded to think this is decent writing?

people don't dislike FJM because he mocks society or he upsets them, it's because he and people like you think what he's doing is very clever when it isn't, it's old hat.

I don't know why that user chose those lyrics, which aren't even the best on that song, but it's not bad.

itt: nobody explains why the lyrics on this album are impactful

he's gonna change the world, bye bye trump!

It's fucking terrible. This fool utterly fails at writing competent poetry or even mildly amusing satire. It's drivel propped up by an irritating persona. Listen to the Magnetic Fields, THAT'S how you write a humorous song about love that manages to stand on its own. FJM is a shitshow for clueless, mediocre white college kids who think they're cooler than their "terrible" parents who still listen to Randy Newman.

I like FJM, I love my parents. I'm retarded?

>think he's doing something clever
I don't even think he's intentionally doing anything, but he clearly upsets plenty of people and all for different reasons.

No it's not. It's fine, and in the context of the song makes more sense.

What's laughable is that you're so sure his writing is shit, which it definitely isn't, and then you prop up Magnetic Fields, who have plenty of cringey, childish, and weak writing as a standard FJM somehow doesn't meet. You obviously have strong opinions about what you like and don't, but it's ridiculous to throw around terms like "fucking terrible" so frivolously. There's a lot worse out there that actually applies to.

Yes. You like shitty music and force yourself to spend time with some old-ass cranky white old people out of social obligation and, to paraphrase Deleuze, escape the Freudian concepts in which you have limited your own behavior patterns, clinging onto sanity and shitty post-modern piano rock instead of embracing insanity as the only viable alternative in a boundless and meaningless world.

>this post
lmao do people who hate this guy just never go outside or are they sincerely so inept that they can't find love?
>h-hey mom look! I can strawman too!
People have different tastes, dick.

Oh man, that's embarassing

why is it good writing then?

because it accurately reflects how I feel about love, it conveys the absurdity of it, how it's driven largely by our fear of isolation rather than genuine feeling. yet the narrator chooses to go along with it anyways because he feels something with this person and that takes precedence. I think it's beautiful and it's writing that I like. I don't buy into "good" vs "bad" writing but I'm willing to discuss further why those lyrics don't work for you if you'd like to share.

It's not about the "message", good writing rarely is all about intention and cleverness. His style is pedestrian, that's my first problem. FJM's more sincere moment never feel like a real contrast to his sardonic asshole persona, it just feels like a cutesy respite between all of his "deep" observations about society and love. To add to that the guy has no real grasp of human nature, he just regurgitates tired post-modern cliches and his love for his wife. Observing life is a lot more nuanced and subtle and painful then just writing about how you feel so cynic and detached except for that one relationship that feels like puppy love. The man has faced no real hardship and you can tell. Finally, his usage of language and metaphors is boring, thoughtless and old-fashioned. His sardonic jokes fall flat for me and the more sentimental moments feel misplaced. Mark Kozelek tends to ramble on too long sometimes but he always had a very complicated personal style of songwriting and achieves great beauty in his best moments.

Writing is actually very much about the message and I feel he gets it across quite well.
>Observing life is a lot more nuanced and subtle and painful then just writing about how you feel so cynic and detached except for that one relationship that feels like puppy love.
It is, and that would be relevant if that summed up his writing, which it doesn't.

And that's one too many Kozelek references in this thread for me not to give him another try. Any recommendations? If not, I always just go chronologically.

I understand where you're coming from but it seems you're lending a lot of power to your conception of fjm as a songwriter. I guess I'd just encourage you to try and separate his persona from his music but I understand how difficult that can be, especially when there are several moments where he seems to intentionally conflate the two. Mark kozelek is a fair comparison, especially since his new album is quite similar to this one in a few ways. I prefer his lyrical style as well. Butch Lullaby is heartbreaking, and I really appreciate the man's attention to detail, opening the song recounting how butch was found dead next to a 40 and ending it suddenly aware that he's no longer following him out of the bar, asking him for a 40, as he would so often do. that shit got me way more than any of the lyrics on this new fjm.

Down Colorful Hill if you're a sad bastard, Rollercoaster if you're a romantic, Ghosts of the Great Highway if you like Neil Young, Benji if you want to know what everybody's talking about or if you're a pitchfork-drone.

>"he has no grasp of human nature"
later says
>"he's faced no real hardship"
Stopped reading

could you please elaborate instead of this green text mess? Of course that's a generalization but you have to be hyperbolic to drive a point home sometimes.

lmao if you actually believe any of that, but you're prolly just a paid fjm shill.

Sorry brah, my imac ran out of power and all the outlets at starbucks was taken.

You're too lazy to back up your statement as to how the lyrics are so grand.
So you tell someone to educate themselves.

Good argument you fuck.

Sup Forums is incapable of actually explaining why they like or dislike anything, they just make black and white statements and begin shitposting when someone actually challenges their views.

remember you're posting with a bunch of autistic 14 year olds, don't expect much

>I get he's trying to be aloof and above it all or whatever but the "wake up sheeple!" lyrics are doing nothing for me
What album are you listening to? There's none of that. There is commentary on the absurdity of modern life but not "wake up sheeple" language. You either haven't actually listened to the album or are autistic.

Everyone has faced real hardship. That's pretty much the core principle of human nature. Maybe not a sustained mental hardship like it seems Mark Kozelek was facing early with RHP, but if you honestly think just because he's a meme dickhead, Josh Tillman has never faced hardship in his life (or anyone for that matter) you're deluding yourself.

This x10

To me it sounds like Mark has a hard time coming to terms with his struggles.

That wasn't what I meant at all though, you took my comment a bit out of context there. Of course probably FJM has had his share of pain in life, I won't deny that. But his songwriting reveals a very sheltered, reductive view of life and society. In the end he's too far up his own ass and lacks real empathy, the kind that really hurts and makes it impossible to be obnoxious about your strong opinions all the time. Mark Kozelek isn't a traumatized wreck either, he's just a product of a poor, rural childhood and some obvious self-esteem issues. He understands more about how your point of view can differ depending on your surroundings, he said in an interview that he thinks all the time "Maybe this guy's just an obnoxious cunt because his father beat him, how did he get this far?" That's the mark of a songwriter for me, not endlessly orchestrate your own opinions.

But FJM isn't obnoxious about his opinions all the time, nor ironic, cynical, etc. Also, a lot of the most damaged people put up a wall of humor or cynicism to protect themselves. This is pretty common knowledge, I'm just pointing it out in regards to Misty and this whole hardship thing.

>SKM is the one who rambles about everything he sees, and he's the one who's try hard as fuck.

SKM is the opposite of try-hard, SKM may be "rambling" but all of Mark's rambling eventually ties together to form coherent, universal themes of very serious and important things (love, death, tragedy, loneliness, beauty, etc.). Mark's rambling often contains very interesting observations on the nature of people and the world, and he delivers these observations in an extremely sincere way. Not only that, but he manages to be emotional and heartfelt without being up his own ass with romanticism.

Meanwhile, FJM has the lyrical talent of a fucking 8th-grader who just discovered Filthy Frank and h3h3. He's all irony and sarcasm but without the wit of artists who actually use irony and sarcasm well. His musings about the world are shallow and he tries to be far more poetic than he is actually capable of.

Not to mention than FJM often can't accomplish the instrumental beauty with an orchestra backing him what SKM manages to do with a guitar, drums and some sparse electronics here and there. FJM is a big facade, he's adverse to genuineness. SKM is innovative and evocative and haunting.

fuck you, /mu is the epitome of all that is eloquent in discussing music, i challenge your view to prove otherwise.

praise it

what the fuck is SKM?

better than this FJM tripe, that's for sure.

Like, holy shit, this album is capital b BAD. Sup Forums actually likes it? Like fuck, you guys have truly shit taste.

I haven't heard much SKM, but FJM isn't even close to "all irony and sarcasm" and has verses of more poetic merit and less literal than some of SKM. Also FJM executes his songs far better in his solo acoustic live shows in my opinion, so the orchestration isn't needed at all.

I don't understand why you guys have to tear down talented, legitimate artists because you don't like them as much as another one. There's really no need for this hyperbolic bullshit.

>guys strums guitar and talks about his fat pig belly
>better than FJM's 10/10 masterpiece
you can kill yourself now

ok, what the fuck is skm still? spell the dumb fucking acronym out.

Sun Kil Moon, senpai.