Education & Career General

Education & Career General

Tried this on Sup Forums but they're weren't interested.

ITT we discuss both our path to get where we are now, and where we plan to be in the future, and how our Sup Forums inspired beliefs influence that.

I'll start.

>Started in state school studying English
>First dose of red pill
>Switch to Christian school studying business and humanities
>Further consume red pills
>Living situation is now changing
>Not sure what my next move is
>Drop out? Stay in school? Switch school? Switch Major?

/Adv/ welcome

What's your story Sup Forums?

Idk if I don't get off this wild ride I'm gonna be a tax man.

Just stick with a major already.

Just because some fat fuck on a Taiwanese image board said something bad about the major you're currently in doesn't mean that you have to instantly go switching.

To be honest, you'd be horrible in business if you keep up a gullible mindset like that.

Wild ride?

Tax man?

>using redpill unironically
kys faggot

Honestly more interested in writing/journalism. Thing is the first step to getting out of my shit town with help from my parents was to go to a Bible school. Now I'm eyeing something else but not ure what the best route is.

What do you do?

Still a student. I'll be going to college next year to study Engineering.

And with writing/journalism, that's a skill you're better off practicing on your own rather than studying at college. Though, it really isn't something to be ignored. Just know that if you go off into writing/journalism, you'll be surrounded by SJW's.

Yes. I'm nearly out of runway. This year, this can't continue. I have obligations and shit. I don't mind going back to learn more but I very little confidence in well your way of doing things.

>went to local community college for 2 years
>achieved a associates in criminal justice
>currently studying Homeland Security at 4 year institution
>plan on applying to the USBP in about a month,
>federal agent

everything has surprisingly gone according to plan.

Yeah I'm aware, but that's why people like me need to be in there more than ever. As of now I've been able to avoid debt, just not sure what the next move is. As far as dropping out goes, I would, but I'll basically be working supermarket and fast food their jobs until I maybe get a break from writing? Should I try trade school? I thought about doing web development or something just to have a trade to pay bills, but I also don't want to waste time...

What the fuck are you talking about

Also what kind of engineering

Going to get a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering then get a Masters in Nuclear Engineering.

Don't drop out. If you choose to lose the race right now, you'll never be able to pick yourself back up. You'll only keep wandering from one topic to another, too worried that you won't be able to compete in any of them. Just pick a choice and stick to it. Business is still a good choice, you just need to be a lot less indecisive if you want to be successful with it.

If you really do love writing, stick with it as a hobby for right now. Don't make it your main dish. Keep on writing until you're decent and try to find other fellow writers who will help you become even better.

Sure, you are thinking about paying the bills for right now, but 30 years down the line, if you continue to get your degree, you won't have to be worrying about that. If you are still indecisive in that many years time, you'll still be anxious and still worry as much as you do.

Idk its all become real now.

I appreciate the advice user. Wish I could give you shekels.

For real though this kind od thing always brings clarity. Got one more question I'd welcome your opinion on.

I have an opportunity to attend a school in NYC, literally on Wall Street amd bBroadway. They specialize in connecting their students in business and organizations right there in NYC next to the school. Their "dorms" are really apartment in Manhattan, Brooklyn Heights, etc.

Only catch is the price tag. I would be buried in debt after graduating, but 100% of their students are employed full time in their field within 6 Mo the, and many of them get in right there is businesses and news organizations right there, so its highly likely I'll get a solid job in journalism after graduating.

Thoughts?

You're either mending, or mad. If you write more cohernelty I'm more than happy to try and help you with whatever your beautiful crazy ass is dealing with.

Business is always an adventure, as you can never see the path it will lead you. Just know that with that, you're taking a huge chance. I'm not going to say to be cautious or to be smart, because I'm pretty sure you've thought about that, with your major being business and all.

Just make sure that you aren't followed by your debt your entire life. As long as you are aware of your debt, I'm sure you'll do fine.

You the best user. Are you still in highschool?

Yep. Senior year is going by well for me.

You're bright. I see moist horizons in your future. Why engineering?

It's more of a childhood dream, really. I just want to support people in whatever way that I can, and I chose engineering because when I realized that it were engineers that developed new technology, I wanted to be one of them.

I'll just follow that dream, since it's all that I have.

>Graduated HS in 2012
>Attended class until early 2016, wanting to become a history teacher. Dad convinces me to at least choose a broader major for career choices (global affairs, changes to criminal justice after i get a job in security)
>Family matters came up, stopped classes temporarily (got my bachelors in criminal justice) got a job as an unarmed security officer
>Help paying for meds/bills, getting really interested in becoming an armed security guard so buying a glock 22 gen4 at upcoming gun show
>Starting to see more security options in my future that aren't too bad. Homeland Security, DoD, TSA, etc.
>If security doesn't pan out switching to law enforcement whether it is the sheriff's office or PD.

I wasn't always happy with my life especially back in HS when I didn't know what exactly I wanted to do, so I settled on teaching. Thankfully my dad was able to convince me to choose something else and even paid for my unarmed security certification. Also have my girlfriend moving back down here for med school, only 22 years old at the moment but I think I am going to wife her as we go onto 6 years.

All you have?

Are you gifted in math and science? I've also been told there's a lot more business savvy aspects to the field.

Stick with business, drop humanities. Finish a BS so you can get a decent job in the mean time and then get an MBA. Study investing intensely in your free time. Practice with one of those stock / options / forex simulators. Network with commercial and investment bankers. Attend investment banking seminars. Become an investment banker. Cannibalize (metaphorically) the competition. Rise to the top. Do coke. Hire prostitutes.

I wish I was an investment banker. I'm just an ethical hacker.

Are you excited about what you're doing? Passionate? When did it "click" for you?

>Be me
>21 y/o College Student
>Go into college with a bunch of credits from AP/PSEO Courses
> One semester left to earn my BBA in MIS

>Feelsgoodman

What'd you go in for? Computer science? Programming?

Most?

Currently taking AP classes in both Math and Science. I would've been taking Calculus 3 classes over at a community college if I had known I had that opportunity a year or two earlier.

I wouldn't know about business savvy people when it comes to my peers, though. Anyone could surprise me in the future.

world leader apply within

?Most?

You gotta school lined up? University of Cincinnati has the best co-op program around. One of my close friends is there.

Sorry *MIS

Planning to go to a college around in my area. It's pretty good as well, so I won't have to worry about anything.

Management of Information Systems/Science

>Programming and System(Databases, Network Infrastructure, Hardware, Custom Software) Design for Businesses and Business Processes
>Working with Customers to analyze their needs for Systems and Programs
>Leading a team of programmers to make that happen

Godspeed user. Best of kek to you

Is this a math-heavy degree?

I love what I do, it interests me greatly but as unarmed it does start to get quite repetitive especially if nothing happens. That's why I am going to get armed certified and keep moving forward, hopefully get a security clearance and move to a different firm.

As for when it clicked, probably when my dad sat me down and told me that he wouldn't see me happy as a teacher. Made me think about the future and what would really be right for me. Then I took the unarmed class and it interested me more than I thought it would and just stuck with it.

Be successful with your life! See ya!

Not so much math as it is logic. If you can think logically, critically, and procedurally. it's a great option if you want to make some good money right out of school. It's the fastest growing field outside of health care, and the entry level jobs are plentiful and well paying.

Of course, I should preface that you will more than likely have to take upper division Accounting or Finance classes to support the "business" aspect of the degree.

Gotcha. I'm looking for a solid field to Mme some money while I work on side projects. So you can get into the field and keep mobility with a BS?

Absolutely. BBA in MIS can get you a HUGE variety of jobs, both on the programming side of things, the pure business aspects, or somewhere in the middle.

Gonna try and go to school for Audio Engineering, tho, I've heard from a lot of sources and people it isn't worth but, the exact opposite advice from others, so it's a toss up at this point.

You voluntarily switched to Christian school?

Are you retarded, OP?

Kill yourself OP, please kill yourself, please.

It was that or stay in mommy and daddy's house. I graduated highschool and I wantes out. Religion allowed me to get their financial help. This school is such a joke though

I will be seriously looking into this now. What would you say is the most difficult thing about the field?

Just as long as you don't take it seriously. Good luck.

(Nice Dubs, check those out)

I would say that some of the languages you have to learn can be challenging, but it's rewarding learning them. I'd try to spread out when you learn them. For example, because I'm a go-getter and I'm graduating with what is considered one of the most challenging degrees at my University in 3 years when usually it's 4 and a half, I'm learning three languages in a semester...

I don't sleep much.

I know someone very similar to you...I think I even know you...your name doesn't happen to be Jake, does it...?

No...but I know a jack in a similar situation.
Last name start with t? What school is he at?

Hmm how long does it generally take to learn a language I'm assuming!IMG more than one class/semester.

Also, is a MIS degree the only degree/major that gets you into this field?

No, with a B. Huh. Weird, turns out Sup Forums doses red pills to more people than I thought.

What school he at?

>suburbfag
>dropped out of school after two years
>start dating qt
>impregnant.jpg
>get shitty manual labor job
>spawn
>get married
>three years later, (24 by this point), decide to go back to school at a community college. Taking accounting because somebody said I should, I have mouths to feed, and I am good with numbers.
>first semester back
>impregnantagain.png
>spawn again
>work all day, classes all night
>4.0 like a boss
>three years later, start going full time at night, still working shitty job during the day. Taking classes in the summer, too
>mfw I actually like accounting
>27 now, a year and a half left
>impregnantagain.wav
>spawn again
>graduate magna cum laude at 28 with a wife and 3 kids
>get job in public accounting, doubling my salary from previous shitty job, which i had now been at for almost 8 years
>mfw I'm actually a good auditor
>big raise
>long hours
>vasectomy
>more long hours
>buy nice house in nice suburb
>impregantagain.mp4
>wtf
>fap in cup for doctor, vasectomy came undone
>spawn again right before busy season
>long hours
>4 kids
>i hate public accounting

(Keep those dubs rolling, lad)

Complete mastery, yes, longer than just one semester, but with good professors, you'll have the building blocks to master. Depends on the language also. I'm pretty close to mastering SQL, and I've only taken a semester.

You CAN get into it with another degrees...oddly enough, my sister works in the field, and she has a Biology Degree (from Notre Dame, Magna Cum Laude, so that makes a difference I suppose) but she showed her employers that she was a good problem solver, critical thinker, etc., so they trained her. So no, MIS is not the ONLY route, but it's by far the best.

Small Private Christian College in Minnesota.

Actuarial science bruhs

my Waifu majored in that..I'll be graduating with MIS in Spring. Good monies couple.

>graduated HS with shitty grades
>fell into working in retail, stuck with it and became a manager because idk what else to do
>have to leave decent job and now still don't know what to do

I'm 22 and still haven't figured my shit out. I'd like to get into ornithology but that's not going to make me any money.
Probably destined for retail till I die.

Interesting. Is there work for it everywhere? Hoping to end up in a big city.

Yes indeed, user. EVERYWHERE, and I can't overemphasize that enough. I'll have my pick of where I want to live.

What kind of jobs do you do? I mean do you work for businesses?

>Currently in flight school
>Fun as fuck and love every second of flying
>want to fly the big planes
>constantly read about how the industry is in desperate need of pilots right now.
>Airlines offering fat signing bonuses to the people with less than a year left of school.
Feeling pretty good m8s.

Also does it matter which school I get my degree from?

No work yet, as I'm still in school. But I will work for businesses.
Preferably one with a strong business school, like one that is AACSB accredited.

>>Tried this on Sup Forums but they're weren't interested.
> Tried this on Sup Forums but they are were not interested.

Is that generally when people in this field work? You mentioned earlier that you can stick more to the science side or to the business side, what would the business side of things look like?

Leading a team of programmers for the business, developing systems, or working with other businesses to determine their needs for a system..similar things.

Look up Systems Analyst or related positions.

Gotcha gotcha. Hey I really appreciate the answers. I !right have just found my next move. 4 years of hard work for a good life in a secure field? Sounds awesome.

>OP changed his school and major because Sup Forums made fun of his first choice

Too late user, you're fucked, you cannot be helped.

Glad I could help, user. Who knows, maybe we'll meet each other on the road. Kekspeed to you, son. Kekspeed.

Shitty grades is no excuse not to go to college.

Red pill was to appease poltards I just didn't feel like changing the green text. From I can tell most people on pol are complete losers anyway, which is saying something for Sup Forums

Shit last question, are you able to work and go to school at the same time? Or is the workload too heavy?

Part 1/2
>Get into highschool
>Get first classes and periods
>Figure out within 10 minutes, that if you aren't in an AP or Honors class, everybody is literally McWeedsmoke Fucktard or Dramaqueen
>Switch to Honors and eventually AP classes in my later years
>Make good friends
>Get shite grades though
>Barely passing
>Like literally, D's and C's, two F's.
>The tests that are required to graduate?
>Out of the 400 minimum to pass
>Get exactly 400 on practically each test
>Graduate
>Play hella vidya
>Still have dad in life picture
>Get's fed up with me playing vidya
>Boots my ass with some tough love
>Holds his gifted G.I. Bill over my head
>Told me that he was gifting it to me in order for me to make something out of myself
>Gives me more tough love
>A week before college started
>Pass Driver's test, apply for classes
>Start school
>Do well, mostly B's
>Too bad those were electives
>Start actual college
>Chemistry 140 and Math 98
>Fail both
>Get fed up
>Almost quit
>Complaining during homework to me mum
>with whom I am still living with
>(am paying rent and doing chores in shit)
>she gets mad af, telling me that if I am a quitter, then quit.
>Ultimatum.mp4

Part 2/2
>Either get inspired or quit
>Motherfucking Inspired.
>Go hard
>Really hard
>Get A's
>Am retaking those classes rn
>A's incoming
>Make it rain with A's.
>Dad happy
>Mom happy
>Find purpose in life
>Am following a career in the development of Prosethics
>Unsure of what aspect
>Am sure to succeed.
>2nd year of college going strong
>Doing math homework as I read Sup Forums posts
>we dem boi's

Given the fact that I'm taking such a heavy class load, I only work part time retail. I know people who have gotten hired in the field before graduating, and work ~ 30 a week.

Prosthetics, tell me more about that! What degree?

Alright good to know. Thanks again user, and congrats

>be going for a pharmacian technician
>be third year
>absolutely depressed
>it just feels I chose the wrong path in life
>spend nights thinking what could I do if the Pharma crumbles

Not sure wether or not to go fish for a masters degree, another four years spent as an "investment" seems too risky

I'm unsure in what to major in. Right now I'm getting an Associates in Science Transfer degree which is meant to help you get into a 4 year university. There is so much that actually goes into making a prosthetic that it is almost unreal.

Anything from Biology, Anatomy, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Engineering/Computer Design, Materials Science, Neuroscience, Computer Programming and probably Nanotechnology if it isn't a sub-level of knowledge.

Shit is insane. But I'm looking into
Bioengineering/Materials Science and/or Mechanical Engineering. Hell, I might even go into Electrical Engineering... there is just so much to choose from.

I do know that Neuroscience and Materials Science is what is currently limiting full usage and creation of a god-like prosthetic.

The field is also supposed to have pretty damn good job growth too, above 15%, and thus far, they money doesn't seem that bad although hard to pinpoint since to is so varied.

I'm counting on you to design Westworld. Godspeed user

Don't know what Westworld is.

Was leaning more towards Sarif Industries.

But a lack of any clue as to what I want to do is.
Everything I actually have a desire to do is either impractical, or had a negative factor that I can't handle

Nevermind, that shit looks dankykang as fuck.

Am probably going to watch after getting this homework done.

Thanks user.

And I do plan on probably going into Neuroscience.

That along with transferring the mind, and virtual reality, will give us just what we need.

I would appreciate a response to this

Its a sci-fi show where they design artificial humans. You should go for neuroscience if you can handle the intel

My copypasta.
>How do you measure success in life?

Well what the fuck do you love to do OP?
Is it furthering the knowledge of Humanity?
Is it getting so much pussy, that you literally swim in the juices of such a fruitful pursuit?
Is it sucking dicks until you enter the afterlife?

Here's my take on what being successful is.

"The only reason to live is to further the Knowledge of Humanity until immortality can be achieved, either through transferring the mind onto a machine, or by usage of cloning yourself and doing a body transfer procedure."

That is literally the motto that I live by... everyday.

As long as I further that goal, I am successful.

I go to college and strain my mind in order to make it grow with all of the information that I've learned, rather than sit in a fucking computer chair playing League of Legends willingly knowing that I will never contribute anything to Society.

As long as I'm furthering my vision... my dream, I could give a fuck of how much pussy I've slain. I could give a fuck what some BLM protesters are protesting, I could give a fuck of what other people are doing, I could give a fuck of what you or anybody else that isn't a close friend or family member thinks of me.

Fucking create a dream that makes sense, logically, realize that you only have a set amount of time to accomplish or further that dream, and get on it.

Fuck anybody that holds you back. Fuck anybody that judges you based on a few simple quarks. Fuck anybody that hates you for what you are.

I know it's been said before and that it seems cliche, but they are quite literally, just jealous of the success that they see you are getting.

Everyone has a dream. Not everyone gets to see their dream succeed. The people that are wimps and cowards and liars and cheaters and fakes are all just depressed, prideful fucktards that would rather tear you down than actually further their dream in order to make themselves feel better but for only a short while.

I'm curious how do you go from struggling in school so much to suceedingnin hard sciences and math?

I've always had an affinity for the Sciences, but not so much so in Mathematics.

I was that kid, who, whenever there was a popquiz, would take it his binder or journal, and memorize the 10 quizwords and definitions in under a minute.

That guy that you know has potential, but was too lazy to give a fuck.

Until he decided to give a fuck.

That is when I transitioned into really focusing on my studies and improving.

Just.Go.Fucking.Hard.

I really would like to enter the STEM field but I've always been weak in science and math. I want to actually do something useful and have a good secure job. I'm more of the writer creative thinking politics type. Can I do it? Could I actually get myself to Excell in the area or is it really something you need to Kindle be a little naturally talented in?

Your words are inspirational, and I honestly don't mean that sarcastically.
What you said has a lot of power, but my dreams are not things that can be attained.
How can I support the elderly and be there to assist them when I'm needed when I couldn't bear to see them die?
How could I spend all day watching and studying birds without being unable to keep a house over my head and food on the table?
Dreams are powerful, but sometimes reality gets in the way.
Maybe I just have growing up to do, maybe I need to experience more to find a true calling, but I am pliable and have never worked a job I dislike.
Also never worked a job I was passionate about.

Let us get something straight here.

You don't need to be good at anything.

I struggled in math, but I asked questions and I got answers. I went from a C in my 10th year, to a B in my 11th year, and finally a B+ in my 12th year. I got better when the math was more hard.
You HAVE to be interested in it though.

For me, Prosthetic's is a perfect fit. I felt like I needed to help relieve the stress of the world by helping people, but I wanted to do it in a scientific way. Prosthetic help's those that are either unfortunate to have lost or never been born with limbs. This also allows us, eventually, to integrate into the robotic machinery using Neuroscience and mind-transferring.

I'm helping people. I would be making great money. I would love what I do. AND it furthers the Knowledge of Humanity.

You just have to find that fit. That... niche.

Incoming "finding your passion in the most unlikely of places" copypasta that I also have from helping previous Sup Forumsros.

You cry yourself to sleep every night because you feel weak. You feel weak, empty and useless because you have not yet found something that you enjoy doing everyday, to the point that it someone asked "Would you do this for free for the rest of your life?" you would answer back with an honest and impressive "Yes.". That is what you are missing. Something that would make you be feel happy to wake up the next day. A lot of people are struggling with this, you are not alone.

You can't be happy because you haven't felt the need to. Nothing in your life is making you happy because you haven't found what makes you want to wake up the next day.

Find what makes you want to live, no matter how stupid, selfish, far-out, or unobtainable it may seem (within reason of course, don't want to be astronaut if you weigh 350 lbs. with multiple non-fixable issues, that shit would most likely not happen).

I'll use myself as an example.

I'm currently twenty years old. In college, and doing good in my studies. I wasn't always this way. In highschool, I was that kid who could always make friends by cracking wise-timed jokes, however, no matter how many friends I had, I always felt empty. This led me down a dark, long spiral of depression that lasted to the end of my highschool career.I nearly failed highschool because I didn't feel like getting out of bed in the morning. There was nothing to live for, or so I had thought, for I had not yet found that spark, that fire, within me to pursue what I love.

I stumbled upon my dream in a very awkward way. I'd stay home from school, abandoning my responsibilities in order to escape into the realm of vidya. I'd play Fallout 4 for hours on end. I sided with every faction and nearly put in order 300 hours within the first month. I distinctly remember a certain dilemma within the game, which faction to choose, I pondered my thoughts, weighed out my options, and chose the Institute. I wondered how I would be able to defend my decision.

This is inspirational and makes a lot of sense. Thank you user. O does school take up most of your life? Do you work as well?

You just have to get hard. Realize that everyone dies, and that what you do helps ease their journey. You'd be like a warm campfire to those who are soaked in the rain of fear.

And you can spend all day watching the birds and the bees, but only after you work for it.

You're going to have to work regardless of what you do in life. Might as well do your best and get a great paying job that you love, so that, in the end, you could eventually have the time and well-offness that is needed in order to just "relax".

Shit. I might virutal immortality and a virtual reality so I could fuck bitches day in and day out, or live out many lives, or see every part of space or learn everything that there is.

But that shit doesn't come free. Blood, sweat, tears, and time is what is needed if you want to accomplish anything.

The amount that you are willing to shed, however, is all up to you.

I wish it was that easy.
For now I'll satisfy myself with helping old people with their phones and feeding crows in the parking lot, but that satisfaction will not be long lasting.
I have a job now that I do really enjoy, at it's core, but it's not even decent paying.
I don't think I ever want to get to the point where I don't want to work.
I love to work, it drives me on and gives me some purpose, a will to carry on because there's more to attain.
Maybe that's why I've gravitated towards retail so far.

I was one of the few lucky one's to have an great advantage over most people in life.

No, I wasn't born into a rich family. My family has, historically, been in the military since the Civil War (Union). My farther was a United States Navy Chief and he earned his G.I. Bill which he gifted to me. Of course I had to prove to him that I would work hard... and I did.

I get 2k every month just for going to college and getting above a 2.5. G.P.A. based off of my quarterly classes. Right now, school doesn't really take up too much time. I go for maybe 5 hours, at least 2 of that is driving time to and from school. Homework is pretty easy, around an hour and a half and I'm done. I value time more than money and I am extremely fortunate to have been given such an opportunity, so I don't work. I live with my mother who is fantastic. We even some weed together on the rare occasions, and she's chill as fuck. I pay rent and do chores around the house as payment.

Life's pretty good man.

Fuck me. I forgot to add the 2nd part where it tells of how I found my passion by joining the Institute and researching what makes a robot, a robot, among other things.

I think I may have deleted it. Fuck.