if you have to code for people and not for yourself,
>Java
>C#
>JavaScript
>PHP
>Python
>VBA

in order of actual prevalence.

also, assembly, mostly because it has "ass" in it.

The one that is best suited for the task ahead

>not choosing C

English

>he doesn't code Ruby
Nice try you fucking pleb

The one that fits your needs.

Pretending some languages are better than others is purely retarded.

If you need to develop a script to execute repetitve tasks on your system, then C is shitty, but bash is great.
If you need to develop a fine-grain low-level program, like a driver, then pythoin is shitty, but C is great
If you need a reliable language to build a webapp that must be easy to maintain, then go for Java
Etc.

Anything else is just teenagers trolling to sound edgy.

No I know Java and Python already (reasonably) I'm just wondering if I should know others too, like what am I missing out on?

Yup, Ruby sucks. It was the hype of late 1990's going into 2000's, neither powerful nor popular, used by some garage wankers to fuel their egos only. Get over it.

true, but only partially, user. Some languages *are* better in terms of expressive power, modularity, metaprogramming/reflective capabilities, stdlib quality, etc.

OTOH, the "best" language can be as well the one with the most market penetration, because of the obvious implications.

further reading:

catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
esr.ibiblio.org/?p=532
wiki.c2.com/?WhyWeLoveLisp

It's more about frameworks than language capabilities

You should know bash, because it's very useful, assuming you use a decent system (a.k.a. UNIX-like).

If you want to develop custom shellcodes, then learn C and ASM.

It really is about what you need.

>true, but only partially, user. Some languages *are* better in terms of expressive power, modularity, metaprogramming/reflective capabilities, stdlib quality, etc.

Yeah, but they can be harder to learn, or inadapted to specific usages, which are also very important characteristics.

C is better in terms of speed, but is harder to learn than python. Then it depends on how much time you can invest on this learning process.

Haskell

Never heard of it but I'll check it out

Shits hard to keep up with

not really a language but more OS basic command

i'd suggest learning command line.

If I need to install some kind of runtime environment like .NET of Java in order to use your application
then you are just plain lazy and have failed miserably as a developer.

>Befunge
>CJam
Woah guys take a look at this memester

this.

My advice is :

1. Learn a *script* language, because it's very useful on a daily basis. Every single day you have repetitive tasks to achieve, of boring things to be done. Script languages allow you to quickly fulfill these needs programmatically. Very reliable.

2. Learn a real programmation language, compiled or pseudo-compiled, like Java, C, C++, etc. if you plan to develop real tools in your life.

3. Learn a system scripting language, like Bash or Powershell, because they're easy to learn and will provide you really cool features to make your life easier on your system.

Don't waste time learning programming languages, stick with a restricted numbers of languages you know *well* and focus on something else, like networks, systems, security, cryptography, etc.

>stdlib
>harder to learn than python

honestly? I've learned C during a weekend about 15 years ago (from K&R 2nd), and most of what I learned by then is still up-to-date (I code in C99 mostly); I've tried learning Python a couple of times over the last 5 years, and got repulsed each and every time.

For me (probably due to asm background), things like pointer arithmetic or syntax was always the least of worries. A good standardization and stable language definition was.

For me, C was and is easier both to learn and to use than Python.

Those shell codes (well normally called bin utils) are just programs. You can develop them in any language you like. But loading big interpreters for those (like JVM) is some kind of an overkill because this might take more time than the actual process.

But you can develop those in any language, preferably in a compiled like Pascal, C++, Ada, Modula 2, D, and also in ASM, C or even Fortran. But who still uses Fortran or C or ASM for some simple tasks is pretty stupid. You could easily use one of the language i mentioned above, which are way easier to use, without any disadvantages.

>you are just plain lazy and have failed miserably as a developer.
>implying only developers use programming languages..

I like C#, java and C. But it really depends on what you are doing. Currently I work with C#, but if I wanted to build a small company, I would use java to build my software so I wouldnt be attached to proprietary software.

For Low level tasks that require good performance you should go for C, or even assembly...

All you need is to know how to program, not 1 or 2 languages

Where I work at forces me to keep learning more about Java and Python, so it's kind of hard to break out of the box and just use something else

Algol 58

How about Assembly? xD
JK. C# is a great programming language, great for beginners, easy to unterstand

It's exactly what I mean : every language have an application field, and is useful for specific needs.

be glad I haven't posted other esolangs I've seen. There're always 05AB1E, Jelly & APL.

.NET supposed "programmer" detected.

Fair enough. If so, then C is the language you need, because you have a brain that easily handles complex concepts.

Some other people have another way of handling things and will be happier with python.

>.NET supposed "programmer" detected.
kek. Hell no.

I'm not even a developer, I'm a IT Sec expert and I run a company.

Simuola. It's great for simulation purposes and and general purpose programming.

BTW, yeah, I'm aware that APL *was* a real language in one point of the mankind's history.

Now, it's just esolang, FWIW.

There's no use to learn 10 languages. You're stuck with python and Java ? Pretty cool : you have a script language and a pseudo-compiled one. Become an expert at it, and you'll be fine.

Why in the hell would you need to learn another language ? This is a waste of time, unless you have a very specific need.

I personally like (Object) Pascal. It's something between C and C++. Low level like C, but has easier tools like a better string System and is OOP, but without being overloaded like C++.

Perfect for everyone who likes to learn low level programming without the frustration of using C strings, and like to have a big standard library which also includes something like http clients or hash functions

Delphi ofcourse

You're right it's something between C and C++.

It's stagnant and primitive like C, and confusing, slow and bloated as C++. Perfect for everyone who likes to learn programming with the frustration of having an obsolete tool that almost nobody uses, and which originated as a defunct learning language.

Ok

what kind of stupid question is that?
it all depends on what are you trying to achive, what needs to be your final outcome user

if you're trying to code a bloody web app, there's no point to use motherfucking python. on the other hand, if you're managing huge chunks of data, why would you even think about CSS?

If your question was "what is the most in-demand programming language" or "which languages should I know to make myself employable as a coder" or "which language will guarantee a high income in the next 10 years", well, that is a whole other question to ask.

way too expensive

You know, programming languages are not a *goal*, but a *tool*.

Use them to learn other things, more interesting.

Yea, that makes sense

I'll pick other things up if I need to

I have no idea what it costs, employer pays for it.
But i do believe they have free beginner versions.
The language is very accessible and nice to start with

i am with this guy

Go with Go
golang.org/

If you think pascal is confusing i don't know whats wrong with you, everyone even without any knowledge has a basic understanding of pascal code, if you show someone with no idea Code in a C like language, they will mostly don't know whats going on. And as i mentioned, its great for anyone who wants to learn low level programming. So it's unimportant if its old, or no one uses it.

And its a great language for learning, if you really want to know what is going on (and how to code properly without producing garbage)

lisp

yay for C

Currently the starter version is Free for the last month (as a promotion, also c++ builder is free), but normally the starter version costs about 300-400 Bucks, and you aren't even allowed to make money with it (only about 2k/year)

The first real version (with VCL source code and the tools in the IDE like code jumps) you are > 1000 buck.
For home development defenetly not worth it, because there is a free alternative, which isn't that bad (its faster, works on any platform, and has except fmx nearly the same framework)

>if you're managing huge chunks of data, why would you even think about CSS?
What? Also CSS is not a programming language

The... one... that... works... for... your... specific... problem.

How do you get into programming?

Say if an engineer regrets not doing computer science but has a tiny bit of experience of programming but also needs to earn money while he learns?

Ok, that's quite pricey indeed.
Glad I got my home copy from TPB then :)

>Pays money for anything related to C++ development like a new fag

Yeah :

How the fuck are you an "engineer" if you can't even use google?

If'n only there were thousands of tutorial videos on YouTube... and free tools like Code Blocks and free compilers all over the fuckin' place...

assembly pic related

Machine Language.
Anything else is nothing more than a vehicle to get there.

Except for any application that requires the end user to install some kind
of JIT/RuntimeEnvironment (like .NET or Java)...., all those applications are just bullshit.

honestly just contribute to some github shit in your spare time, put it on a resume and try to get a junior dev gig.

i taught myself with the TI-83 instruction book in high school and honestly you don't have to do much to attain the skillset that the average new CS grad has these days.

clojure
>code in a functional language
>target jvm without having to deal with java
>target nodejs without having to deal with node
>parallel programming with your eyes closed

for general programming, I don't know if clojure will be beaten in the next decade. for platform specific work like games or embedded shit, pick the most digestible poison, but in general I'll go with clojure.

machine language is 1s and 0s, I think you mean assembly which is our way of writing opcode using mnemonics instead of memorizing numbers.

Truly, even though I do admire .net I got to agree

I'm sure he meant assembly

Wow and just when I thought the retardation levels had peaked.

Depends on the application. For embedded stuff, C is the best. Assembly really helps you to know what is going on at the processor level, but can make your eyes bug out. I think C is generally the most elegant and simple higher level language though. Just my own preference....

This.
There is no debating this.

...cuz spending 9 months to write something I can put together in a day in C++14 that is type-safe, thread-safe, parallel-safe, maintainable and readable by even the chimps in my office be durn a good idea, right AssemblerBoy?

machine code is a string of Numbers. The 0s and 1s are just the technical representation of those numbers and not the language.

says the half mongoloid neckbeard.

I agreez

Ruby for the win. My favorite OO language hands down. It's too bad it didn't get a modern JIT interpreter until recently or it might have gained some popularity over its retarded cousin Python.

maybe if you are from the 90s

Haskell (for serious tasks)
Idris (for where a less established language is acceptable)
Scheme R7RS (for quick jobs)
Forth (for low-level / assembly)

you're telling me stuff I already know user. I'm sure I'm telling that dude stuff he already knows to but whatever. itt: battle of the smartasses

No...., I meant the 1's and 0's as being the best.
It's where you ultimately end up no matter which assembly language you are using.
(Assuming that you are actually "programming".)
Therefore machjine language == best.

Though, a well done build will be 4-5 times faster, I'm guessing we'll agree on that

>I don't have any refutation so I'll just call you retarded

also, C fags will change their mind after they pass freshman year.

What

Python.

Fuck C.

oh I getchu

C. Python

kill yourself.

I bet you kode css on a mac while eating your tofu salad and drinking your organic coconut water.

but your statement was just false, and i corrected it, so that people can see that you wrote bullshit

you can write plain c in c++ if you wish
but once you try c++ you don't

Dude.
0 = no current
1 = current
Boolean Logical gates in-between, etc etc.
This thread scares me

yeah and you're a faggot that has your head stuck so far up your ass that bump in your throat is your nose

My preferences are for C++, C, Python, PHP (and Verilog for hardware development, but I am getting into OpenCL as well now).

My first programs were in Fortran (on an IBM 1130) and Algol (on an ICL 1907). I've written in PL/1, PL/ASM, APL, Forth, 370 Assembler, Intel Assembler, MC680x0 Assembler, actually assembler for a range of architectures including Z80, 6809, 8051, Bash, LISP, POP-2, UCSD Pascal .. A bunch of hardware description languages ..

thank you.

carry on kiddo, you've chosen the true path

>a string of numbers
Hurr Durr

nothing I said was wrong nigger