How do I get rid of depression?

How do I get rid of depression?

I can't even manage to book an appointment with a therapist.

Anti-depressants, my dude

You should somehow manage to book an appointment with a therapist.

Alcohol and hard drugs.

but srs, work out 60 min every day and your depression will be gone within a week.

Why are you depressed op?

Nope
Yes

You have to bring your self to reach out don't be a pussy for once in your life and call a psychiatrist

I'm not OP and not depressed, but I was told to stay off the treadmill for 2-3 days until the tooth hole heals some.

This would solve a lot people's issues too many people eat like shit all day and never break a sweat then think they're depressed

The le depression meme strikes again haha.

Not a white-knight.
I've had depression for a decent chunk of my life, and let me tell you one thing.

Man the fuck up.

You don't do anything for yourself.

A true man doesn't do something for himself.

He does it for those he cares about.

If you care about no-one, kill yourself.

If you do, then once again, man the fuck up.

Push through it. The more attention you give to depression, the worse it gets for you.

Don't be a pussy, user.
Work out, or do some fighting/martial arts.

Also, last bit of advice. Don't ask about depression on a place like Sup Forums.

Go to Yahoo for that.

And how do I get those?

I don't know, it doesn't always have a set cause.

Look at the op image and tell me depression is a meme you mongoloid

I care about no-one at the moment, and no i'm not going to kill myself because some cuck told me to on this shitheap

How do I get the energy to start working out? I've been telling myself to just man up and do it for years.

A therapist will just give you meds and you'll be even worse and probably end up killing yourself because you'll have the energy to get up but still feel like shit.

The opposite of depression is expression, so do exactly that. Get your lazy sick ass up out of bed, drink water, eat whole foods, go for a walk to start. When you get home, start jumping around and dancing to some tribal music, start yelling out loud, look at yourself in the mirror and start screaming at your reflection. Laugh at nothing and dance around while doing it.

Depression is a meme illness because we have lost so much touch with out bodies. Fucking go to the gym and lift weights and run like your body was meant to do. Go read a book when you're done like your brain was meant to do. Most of all find your meaning in life through all this and I guarantee you with a goal in mind, you will want to spend every waking minute of your life chasing after it. Consider talking to God.

Then why are you replying my man?

Because I don't really care.
That's probably why you're depressed and I'm not, now that I think about it.

Get st johns wort, otc antidepressant, been in it for a year and it works really good. Doesn't force you to be happy like other antidepressants do, it just kinda makes things that are bad not seem so bad. No side effects like weight gain or sexual dysfunction either, may make you photosensitive though so try not to tan often and you'll be gucci

How could this be considered white knighting? This is horrible advice from a 12 year old who got sad this one time and now thinks he knows about depression. Disregard.

bump

medfag here, do not listen to this drooling retard.

1)st. john's wort has never been shown to be effective in treating the symptoms of depression,

2) st. john's wort has only been shown to be able to relieve some mild headaches,

3) st. john's wort is a CYP450 inhibitor, it will fuck with your liver's ability to metabolize drugs and nutrients, causing a whole host of side effects including prolonged liver toxicity.

Become a true an hero OP and while your at it you
should livestream

rolling for this

Sounds like St. John was a med troll.

re-roll

roll

Not happening, fuck off and thanks for the bumps

Talk to your gp. They can start you on meds and refer you to a therapist. Don't get discouraged, it takes a while to fin the right med/dose. Good luck

I'm a graduate student, I work in the two-three labs and TA mycology and biostats and genetics as needed. I was trying to trick my doctor into giving me a bunch of benzos because they help me out. He gave me citalopram and now I work 14 hours a day compared to 4-5. It really has helped me, I'd get citalopram.

anti-depressants do have some benefits, you moron and sometimes just exercising isn't enough to just magically "fix" depression

I don't really get the thing with depression.
I mean, when you're depressed, but want to get out of it, it's because you want to live, so you're not really depressed... maybe you believe it, but you're not.

>and how do I get those?

from a licensed medical professional...
(hint: go get some fucking help)

>I can't even manage to book an appointment with a therapist

It's not easy telling others (non anonymously) about your problems user. I'm trying to.

This is stupid, exercise won't cure your derpession... but sure it will help. Personally it made it worse and better at the same time for me, i feel like shit on rest days.

Do you have a local community mental health establishment?

First visit will establish your needs. They ask questions to gauge your depression and needs and make sure you're not going to off yourself.

Second appointment will be with counselor, they'll ask if you want to try some anti-depressants. Ask for a gene test. It's a quick swab of the cheek and in a week or so, they'll know what the best medication for you will be. Well, atleast what ones will make you worse off, and what ones you shouldn't take.

>Tfw strongest sophmore at my hs, and lift almost every day, but been dead inside for past 6 months

literally just ignore it and don't face the problem at all, try to distract yourself as much as possible and just try to not think about life what so ever. moralfags will want you to face it but it never works

According to a quick look on google, no.

At the moment I haven't been outside in over 8 months and I've never spoken to anyone irl about these issues.

cashews

I was depressed for years after getting out of the military. I took anti-depressants for a month, which stopped me from spiraling and getting anxiety attacks, but once that was taken care of, I still had a lot of things I needed to learn to treat my own depression. Maybe my perspective will help.

You're looking for motivation, which is unreliable. You have to build a habit. Everything your brain does is this:
>intake stimulus
>produce response according to habit
You do not get energy to go work out, you get energy BY working out. You don't build up enough happiness to go do the things you want to do in life, you get happiness BY doing those things.

Everything you do, good or bad, is a habit. You simply haven't yet realized your ability to change your habits. It's not easy at first, but eventually your brain will rewire and build connections, and then even building habits becomes easy. Trust yourself, even if you think you're a piece of shit. Give it time, even if you feel like you don't have enough. Be patient and persistent, and one day you will be driving down the road and realize, "Oh man, I haven't thought about killing myself in a while."
This is what it looks like to overcome depression. You build a conscious habit of healthy things, and your brain and body takes care of the rest.

Seeing a therapist every once in a while kind of helps too just to vent to someone who knows how to help.

this is how you end up killing yourself

yoga

Masturbation helps for a few mins.

You are a literal meme of Christian advice.

user wants someone to talk to, about his tooth

Antidepressents and a therapist. I'm on Prozac right now but it hasn't done anything. And I've been on it for two months. I have yet to see a therapist though bc of procrastination and no energy to make a call (tbh I don't like talking on the phone).

Start off slow.

At first just make it a point to step out your front door. Or do something you usually do anyway.

Check the mail. Water your plants. Walk your dog. Take a shower. Literally anything to build momentum.

Now that you've done that, why not get in your car?

If that's as far as you can get today, that's cool. Tomorrow try to start your car and start driving to the gym.

Take it slow. If you don't think you can do it, it's cool to stop and try again tomorrow, but try your hardest to never go backwards. At the very worst, stall.

It's a fucking struggle. A huge fucking struggle.

Coming off of some mania, I stood in my shower for three days before I actually turned it on and fucking bathed.

It's not easy, and I'm not saying this is going to work without effort. You have to want it. I know how depression can be. You can't just say, "well do it anyway." You gotta want it, and you gotta work for it.

Working out is good for depression and anxiety but personally i have this problem where it can make it worse if i over do it. I think it's because i lose an average of 16+ hours of sleep a week if we're counting 8 hours a night normal.
In other words, if you're gonna work out, make sure you sleep enough and eat right other wise you're gonna fuck yourselves more.

The therapist is by all intents and purposes, anonymous. I know you might be embarrassed about it, but you have to understand that while depression is an illness, it is normal. The people on the phone deal with patients coming in for depression all the time. They will not tell your family and friends about it, and they will not make you feel like an idiot for being depressed. You are doing that to yourself.
The therapist has gone to school for a long time, and has dealt with depressed people before. All you're doing is telling him what you're feeling and thinking. He will help you rationalize your thoughts and give you serious advice.

I know you fucking wrote that in the OP. I'm telling you to go get help because the only reason you're not doing it is because you're embarrassed that you're depressed. There is no reason to be embarrassed. It is normal.

that's the point m8, it won't get better, but you'll feel good for a bit before you give up one night

It is a real and testable mental illness, you child.

You're confusing depression with persisting little sunday melancholy.

Dude, youre just fucking lazy.

The better perspective is not over-training, but 'under-recovery'.
As a general rule, you should have the following checked before working out:
>slept at least 6-11 hours
>eaten *something* at least 2-6 hours
>drank at least 500ml of water at least 2 hours

If you are concerned about a big workout, stretch that morning immediately before you do anything else.
Always stretch after working out. Take up yoga. On the days I decide not to train I will do yoga at least once for 20-60 minutes. It's not hard, just pick around three stretches, warm-up to each stretch for 30 seconds, and then cycle through sets of at least 60 secs (or five minutes if you feel like it) in each position. It feels amazing after stretching, particularly when combined with strength training.

He's right, nothing belongs to us in this world.

It's all about soul.

Anti-depressants work differently for different people. I was on Prozac for a short time, and it sort of just leveled me out. Haven't had an anxiety attack since, and I used to get several per week. Maybe try another one for a bit.
I'd highly suggest just making the phone call and setting up the appt. It will take a couple minutes, and you'll feel good just for getting yourself some help.

You just don't get it.

Also, in trying to include working out in my life to combat depression,I will say that at first you must take into account that working out can have the opposite effect. You might feel anxious, depressed or even angry before or after working out and if that's the case, avoid working out that day. Initially your emotional fitness plays a key role, but if you respect your feelings in the beginning then you will learn to love working out. You will metabolise this nonsense out of your life, or at least put you in a position where it is easier to deal with. I really want somebody to see this because it has helped me massively since I was depressed. Initially working out for me was just leaving my house and walking a mile or two miles. That's how fucked up I was. You can make it!

Stop being a faggot and get over it.

This is like saying,
"Just gotta be healthy and happy like I am, dude. Pray."

You can say, "Oh yeah, that's good advice." but it isn't useful advice.

Our physical being is just a tool which serves as a vehicle of reflected thought stemmed through the synaptic synergy and genetic makeup often defined as identity, a perceptual electric current and wave living in cycles through organic and physical matter comprised of elements working together as one universality, therefore any perceived imbalance is addressed in its own dimensional language to reinstate equilibrium. It's essentially within lest one doesn't recognize it and be a slave to anothers will in an environment of strangers.

Ketamine infusion therapy is life changing. You basically get IV ketamine for an hour 6 times over the course of twelve days, and periodic booster infusions, and you're all better.

Meant to add: I'm on infusion 4 outta 6.

don't be condescending
the fact that is a testable mental illness doesn't change anything about my point. Some persons qualify the depression as the illness of our time. We can see that factors of depression, depending on the case, are not purely physics, but entailed by social facts. So we have a illness shaped by some things which are not physics, even if it's realized physically. That makes it testable. So the point is : it's not like when you lost a leg or a hand you can't get back because it's physically impossible. When you're depressed, you can take drugs to modify the chemistry of your brain, but if you want to not be depressed even if you are, maybe you already have the solution to your state : you don't want to be like this.

Sartre says that the ego is not the basis of our consciousness, but the ego is an object for our consciousness, and we're totally free to be what we want to be. Maybe there's some fatalism linked to the belief that all is determined by some matter of fact. Maybe we should consider things in an other way. I'm not saying that is easy, I'm trying to understand and find solutions.