Should I get a turntable and start buying vinyl records or is it just a meme? which one should I get...

should I get a turntable and start buying vinyl records or is it just a meme? which one should I get? This one looks nice, but idk what I'm doing.
amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60BK-Automatic-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B008872SIO/ref=lp_3003611_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1487909475&sr=1-1&th=1

pic related: first vinyl I would buy.

Music recorded digitally and then put on vinyl is more of a scam than a meme. Getting a turntable to play vinyl of music that was recorded in the era when vinyl was the prominent form of recorded music is acceptable.

From what I can tell there's no counterweight
I'd avoid it

are you specifically talking about the turntable I linked to?

if the goal at the end of the day is to have a physical copy of an album that sounds fine then i don't see why digital vinyl is unacceptable. you're still getting nice artwork and a good sounding record (most of the time). you're not going to see the benefits of an AAA release unless you spend upward of a thousand dollars on a setup.

Buying records is addictive and fun! Really satisfying though, puts more thought into choosing music coz u put ur money where ur mouth is

agreed!

Yes
The counterweight keeps the cartridge from raping your records
No counterweight means you can't adjust the tonearm weight

Vinyl doesn't really sound better in any way. If you are buying a turntable for that, don't bother.

If you like having physical copies of albums with the large artwork and such, go for it. Just remember listening to vinyl requires a little more work.

if you want a cheap starter turntable avoid anything new. Do a bit of research and find a used retro one. I went with a technics SL-BD20 which I found in full working in order for $95AU. Actually has a counter weight (though it's all factory pre-set) and you can actually change / upgrade the stylus and cartridge on it. It tracks at 1.25grams which is nice and light for keeping my records in good shape until I can afford something nicer. Sounds fine to me as well.

I got into vinyl for a while but honestly if you just want the physical object I would suggest CDs. Vinyl looks cool to frame though if you're into that

if you're going to actually buy a physical copy of the music then you really can't go wrong with vinyl, even if you don't listen to the actual record itself it's nice to look at, usually comes with great artwork and its helping to supporting the artist.

I recently started getting into collecting. Don't buy stuff online, or at least avoid it. It's so much more rewarding to go through your local record stores and come out with something:
-you've never heard before.
-you don't have to pay shipping for.
-that you felt in your own hands before buying.
My musical insterests have become a lot less "Sup Forums-drone"-y since I started buying my own records, cause now I'm finding new things I would have never listened to/heard of otherwise.

It's so rewarding, I love it and I think it's something I'm going to do the rest of my life. I'm even considering starting donating plasma and using the money to buy more records.

You should be made aware that coloured vinyl is a giant gimmick. You're paying more for an inferior quality record than the black (which are known to have better durability and more consistent sound quality).

counterweights make no difference. they're literally an Sup Forums meme

t. Crosley CEO

t. desperately Crosley salesperson

Oh, also, the AT-LP60 is identical to the Pioneer PL-990 and the Sony PS-LX250H with pretty negligible differences, so whichever model costs you the least is the one to go with. I've torn open all three of these turntables in the past, trust me. They're nearly identical. I have a 1998 PL-990 that I refurbished, in addition to a 1978 Onkyo CP-1036A.

The LP60/PL990/LX250 is probably the best starter turntable under $120, but it's still kinda toy-tier. Without an adjustable tonearm and a removable headshell, so it won't really be able to grow with you. It's still an order of magnitude better than Crosley/Jensen/Etc trash, though. Basically, if it has a stylus that looks like pic related, DON'T BUY IT.

t. guy who has an at-pl50 that hasn't damaged the records

Anybody willing to put in the money to buy records should invest in a half decent player. You can get a really good 80s Pioneer or something similar for $150 or under if you are patient and look hard enough.

Like you'll spend $300 on your favorite albums but you'll play them on a shitty $100 plastic turntable with no counterweight? Come on.

bought my first non 2.1 speaker two years ago. i dont play any instruments or consider myself having superior hearing.

i got this turntable with rather new needle from a friends father for free. after buying some of my favourite albums in a local shop i can say i can hear a difference to spotify. its distracting now to listen to songs i heard often on vinyl.

to flac i can only notice it if the sound cracks. i wouldnt have bought a turntable but afterwards its nice to have something of your favourite albums in your hands.