Sup Forums, if you're a musician, tell us what you play and what is one of your favorite songs

Sup Forums, if you're a musician, tell us what you play and what is one of your favorite songs.

If you're not a musician, tell us one of your favorites anyway and your opinion of musicians.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EmFSR2E4sCY
youtube.com/watch?v=eRpwuj5lOm0
youtube.com/watch?v=1ewuKGRVEQM
youtube.com/watch?v=s0X23P9Vq1o
youtube.com/watch?v=sytOLwQl4FQ
soundcloud.com/user-942847914
soundcloud.com/kung-pao/sets/such-a-drag-ep
youtube.com/watch?v=35ylAOORzXk
youtube.com/watch?v=hdWOCuG7nDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=oEMBJKwzcgw
youtube.com/watch?v=C4m1KHjp03M
vocaroo.com/i/s00JiIhHY9uC
vocaroo.com/i/s1eXJoEUA0ML
youtube.com/watch?v=zifVvT17LPA
youtube.com/watch?v=kd6hTuN0bLg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do vocals count as an instrument

Guitar. Right in Two by Tool

Of course, all music is appreciated equally.

I play the French horn and banjo yes im from the south you cucklords!

youtube.com/watch?v=EmFSR2E4sCY

youtube.com/watch?v=eRpwuj5lOm0

I play le Tuba

Guitars
Fracture - King Crimson

Oh damn, that's a fucking rare combo. Ever gotten work with either the horn or banjo?

Over-immersed fags that play 2many instruments are welcome too.
I'm n the saxophones, flute, clarinet(s), trumpet, rusty as fuck trombone, and Jazz piano.

I love me some Moanin' with Charles Mingus.

>French horn

I picked this up in JHS just so I could play the french horn parts in Tommy after I had the guitar and bass parts nailed.

Yes I play them and record them separate then merge them in a video

I also like to drink moonshine and shoot guns and I have a couch on my front lawn on weekends i mostly sit there playing the banjo and getting drunk when i play the french horn its for money at wedding n stuff

Flute, guitar, bass guitar, french horn, some piano (enough to pass required coursework in college), Champ Stick (still suck at it). Played guitar in a lot of different styles as well. Enjoy old-school progressive rock the most.

Neat, respect.

>Anonymous
play a little o that there geetar
always sort of liked this song
youtube.com/watch?v=1ewuKGRVEQM

Guitar and bass, Stab by Title Fight

guitar, keys, if i'm really drunk i try to blues harp.

Minstrel in the Gallery; Jethro Tull

pretty much my opinion of musicians.

Jake?
What time is it in boston?

French horn is the primary instrument of Sup Forums

Wrongo, friendo.

Guitar, paino, drums, bass, and violin. favorite song is moonlight sonata

Keys, guitar, mostly my 6-string bass.

Listening to Healing Now by Pain of Salvation now.
youtube.com/watch?v=s0X23P9Vq1o

Guitars, keys, and drums

Blue cheer - peace of mind

Guitar, bass, piano, mandolin.
My favorite stuff to play hands down is funk, slap/pluck bass and wah guitar.

primary is cello
but secondary is guitar, and piano

favorite song ever? that is a tough call...

Round here by counting crows is one I have enjoyed for many years youtube.com/watch?v=sytOLwQl4FQ

if you are talking classical then Bach or Vivaldi, baroque I enjoy a lot

also here is my sound cloud

soundcloud.com/user-942847914

i play guitar and piano and the 808.
right now i like listening to 2814, but my favorite song currently is NO MORE SORRY- mbv
here is my shameless self promo
soundcloud.com/kung-pao/sets/such-a-drag-ep

Trying to work some mandolin into a jazz chart later on, but man there's so little to take from on that subject. None the less, neat.

What's your opinion on the features in the Rite of Spring, from the viewpoint of a common cellist?

To be honest I have not played the rite of spring yet, I dont think I will get to ever play it sadly since I have already graduated and my degree is in music therapy and not performance

I can tell you some interesting things about the way you hear though that I had not known till I did my research paper on the relationship between language and sound perception?

Sure, why not. I'm always up for some tidbits

I came across a lady's research named Diana Deutsch, she has explored sound paradoxes and the one I will point out specifically is the tri-tone paradox. A tritone is a half octave interval so ex: c-f#. She would play two of these chords, and observe the results which would be if the person said it sounded like the chords were moving up from the first chord to the second- or vise versa. She discovered that it was the tonality of the mothers voice that dictates pitch perception. to expand, she compared 2 groups of ppl, one group was born in taiwan and grew up there, the other born there but moved to cali as a child and grew up in the us. both spoke different languages and had different language exposure at school ect. but had the same sound perception because both their mothers were from taiwan even though they grew up in different places and had different languages

Interesting. That seems like an odd experiment.
I'd assume the perception would depend more on what music you grow up around rather than an inborn trait, specifically on whether local music of the time uses tri-tone substitutions in place of V chords more or not, (presumably) leaving F#(or most tritones) seem like the lower direction since it tends to move from ii->TT->I while ii->V->I theoretically might do the opposite.

I do not think it has anything to do with music, rather, more to do with the analysis of language from a tonal perspective. Does not matter what kind of music they like or what music they listen to, because of the exposure they get from their mothers voice; the perception is thus established. Their mom's mom's mom's mom's established this tonality too which is being continually passed down. The moms tonality changes though over time depending on if they move around a lot. If you imagine a circle chart with the notes moving chromatically around from c going clock wise, each person has a set range of notes that they reliably can tell as chord being higher. This may be due to the vocal range of their mothers voice which unknowingly trained their infant in a small range of relative pitch

I play bass and sing (yell) in a garage punk band and these are my favorite songs currently.
youtube.com/watch?v=35ylAOORzXk
youtube.com/watch?v=hdWOCuG7nDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=oEMBJKwzcgw

man, title fight are so good

That's true.

Played guitar for many years, though I haven't picked it up in over a year.
My favourite thing I learned to play was Sultans of Swing, because I love Dire Straits

the music point was not a bad point though, I was thinking originally that maybe there was some perfect frequency that people biologically gravitated towards but the language as a dictator for perception held up much more validity

some say 432 hz is some healing frequency but it is a bunch of mumbo jumbo

good ol drums, and any kinda alt music

I would love to learn to play a bowed instrument

youtube.com/watch?v=C4m1KHjp03M

Do it. Get on amazon, buy an essential elements book, a cheap bowed instrument, and get to it.

I dont play

I do produce, on a DAW.

I make beats, hip hop etc.

I used to be in a choir for about ten years.

Anyone who records would love to work out featuring something. I can make a beat from about anything. Dont have much to offer financially, but collaborations are great marketing tools!

Any producers on Sup Forums?
would love help ive been at it for about 6 months.

Hey, I'm actually thinking about going into audio engineering, so those two things are sort of in the same filed right? Would you recommend going to school for it?

Guitar, favourite song would be by Don covay - "Mercy mercy"
Just like playing blues, and my own thing:
vocaroo.com/i/s00JiIhHY9uC
vocaroo.com/i/s1eXJoEUA0ML

go to school if you have the resources.

But honestly, i feel like the resources are also out there to learn it yourself and thats what ive been doing.

but formal training would be awesome! and id totally buy your textbooks when your done lmao

Jazz guitar fag here.
Favourite tune of the moment is Deborah's theme from the move Once Upon A Time In America.

youtube.com/watch?v=zifVvT17LPA

Don't produce any big stuff, but I do record and mix my Jazz combo compositions and make repetitive background beats/muzac for videos and stuff.
Learning some basic theory on piano can excel what you do by 10 fold, since very, very few people who make beats and the like can't find C on a keyboard. While there's nothing wrong with that, it can make your work stand out if you incorporate some alternative chord progressions and sample excerpts.

Go to a community school or pick up a couple of courses in music on Coursera (.com).
If you end up studying it, you'll be able to do a lot of creative things, since you'll also have some compositional knowledge at your grasp. Taking a Jazz piano class later on is also a great way to explore more intricate things to throw into the mix, but music is one of the most comprehensive degrees you can try to get.

Devil Makes Three - THe Bullet, one of the better songs I have heard.

Tosin Abasi. Hands down a god with a guitar

yeah ive been learning music theory on youtube since i started.

circle of fifths

theres a lot too learn

trying to pick up on chord progressions

and getting piano lessons from this ukrainian girl

im a very by ear kinda guy, i can read music and some of the daw interfaces are very easy to use in my opinion,

just been working on building a database of beats that ill continue to critique until im ready for a couple project releases..

producers stealing beats is really a lowkey big thing, and it happens a lot, so im just a little wary of releasing on soundcloud.

I play mostly tenor sax, I've got a lot of bright and open mouthpieces, and like playing rock and pop type music. Clarence Clemons-esque, I like the "80's style" of playing. Obviously I don't do a lot of large ensemble playing, but I'm able to. Better at classical playing on baritone, surprisingly. If I'm gonna play soprano, I'm gonna be playing that muzak garbage that you hear walking through the mall. One of those things that's so uninteresting to listen to but incredibly fun to play.

I play guitar, bass, drums, harps, and sorta play keyboards. One of my favorite tunes at the moment is Peace Train by Cat Stevens.

I play mandolin, banjo, bass, guitar, piano, drums, and i recently got a melodica. Been playing for 16 years

So many favorite songs, its hard to narrow it down. First that comes to mind is an instrumetal three song set: On the Horizon, Part l: Abberation, Part: ll Beyond the Gate by Wretched

I would put emphasis on learning chord progression functions first, since it would be most beneficial to you.

The thing about beats is that it's really easy to expand on or modify and make them sound good, as long as you have inert creativity. Some really simple Ableton effects augmenting pre-existing work can sound better than professional quality. Sounds like you're creative enough to handle it, so I wouldn't worry too much about beats being stolen right now, but if you want to be safe, you can archive the creation date of your files and keep them on a hard drive.
If nothing else, companies and bigger names that steal amateur work end up giving settlements if you bring up a case against them.

Neat. Have you tried looking into some 50s and 60s Jazz to advance the soprano playing more?
Coltrane's 'My Favorite Things' is one of my personal favorites for soprano, as popular as it is.

Acoustic guitar
Man in the Iron Mask by Billy Bragg

bass primarily, also guitar, drums, and piano. 46 &2 by Tool

I would definitely consider it, I'm an undergrad in college- not majoring in anything related to the instrument, so my spare time is often an hour or two between classes either practicing or just playing for the fun of it, but if I really put a whole bunch of time into it, I think I could really get into that kinda stuff!

>Drummer here

Don't really have a favorite song as I listen to a lot of different bands.

But this one always puts me in a good mood:
youtube.com/watch?v=kd6hTuN0bLg

Guitar. Doomstar Requium (The Duel)

Yeah, that would help. See if you can get buddy buddy with a couple of the jazz majors on campus, playing in a combo with another saxophonist that majors in performance or education can help you learn a ton without paying for private lessons or classes. Greg Fishman has a bunch of practice books that help with phrasing, feel, and licks that you could easily bring into other genres of music, especially 80s stuff.

I do vocals and guitar in a symphonic black metal band. That's all you need to know.

Does it count that I am mediocre because my skill is all by practice, no talent at all?

If you play music, you're a musician. Amateur or professional, you have a gift you've cultivated yourself that not everyone has.

I've been playing guitar for 12 years. I also play bass and drums. I'm in a band and I write a lot of original material.

I'd say my favorite song right now is Let Me Stand Next to Your Flower by The Brian Jonestown Massacre. I've been on a psychedelic/trippy music kick lately. Radiohead is also a favorite band of mine.

Ah, then keyboard and vocals. Band I used to be in recruited me mainly because they liked my poems (became lyrics for the music). They dumped me for someone who had far less practice on the keyboard but did it better and was able to sing anything (he actually had talent). Thanks for calling my skill a gift. ;)

Different folks and different strokes. Keep practicing your gift, then make it big and give them a big ol' 'fuck you'.

I still do it as a hobby. I still kind of hope but the dream is dead. Thanks for the kind words man.

Trumpet and definantly anything Robert w smith composed