Does the color of the laser make any difference in "power"...

Does the color of the laser make any difference in "power"? My interest is to buy one wich have power enough to burn paper, for example

One is green
gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_106566.html?vip=546047

And the other is blue
gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_105699.html?vip=546049

If you guys wanna check out

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iVrJUbeuG44
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter_wave
wickedlasers.com/lunar
youtube.com/watch?v=cjuD6lZUU2A
bitlasers.com/opencart/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Higher colors in the spectrum have more energy so go for red best

red are not so much visible

bump

youtube.com/watch?v=iVrJUbeuG44

>difference in "power"
They are both 5mW lasers. If those are the two you are set on, just get whichever one you like more

Red light has the slowest wave of the visible spectrum though.
By that logic, blue/violet would be the most intense.

if you focus the beam properly and it has a high enough mW output, any color can burn paper. you get the most bang for your buck out of red, though. other colors tend to be more expensive.

don't get either of the ones you linked, they're both 5mW and weak as shit. laser color has no direct affect on ability to burn.

Also this.

Truth has been spoken.
And you should buy safety goggles too, even looking at the dot can harm your eyes with high power lasers

Don't forget the ultraviolet and infrared ones. They can burn shit as well.

Oh, ok. i'll buy the blue
Ty.

i dont wanna spend too much, but ty

Hey op, great to find someone into lasers. You'll find that all these colors of lasers were created for a specific reason. Red lasers are meant to DOPE crystals and non linear diffraction. essentially the higher you go up on the NM list. the more DENSE the beam is. Youll want a DENSE beam so you can cut through shit. They use something like 1340-2200nm lasers to cut through steel. Of course those beams are invisible. You can only see whats in 400-788 i think idk. This is mostly a rough coming from a tipsy engineer if i can call myself that

hell you can focus sunlight with a magnifying glass and burn paper. that's all it takes, really.

Im so fucked up, but yeah get a blue or green. Green is absorbed by darker colors more than blue. This is due to radiological effects from that specific wavelength. However blue is less sporadic and with higher focus and power will net you a more accurate result. GET BLUE. As a fanatic though bro you will actually trip if you get a purple. Yellow is second most fun. even 100mw will go miles

What's the fascination with lasers? They look cool i guess but they literally have no practical uses at all. What are you going to do with a laser that burns paper, burn peoples newspapers as they read them?

Purple lasers change color depending on what it strikes. Hit a stop sign and itll be a bright orange or red. Hit a yellow one and itll turn green or idk
its crazy shit you have to try it. They get pretty cheap.

>higher you go up on the NM list. the more DENSE the beam is
This does contribute, but the wattage and beam focusing are also important. 5mW will give you a cool light dot, but 1W will be able to burn shit

You idiot, lasers are for cutting and research. Everything you are using has had contact via laser fucking moron.

it's a toy. why do you need toys? you don't. need and want are two different things.

i think he was more talking about these kinds of handheld laser "pointers"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter_wave
this should answer your question
Also: it might depend on what substance you want to incenerate, some molecules interact better with specific wavelengths, but for you these effects should not matter

Also: the the data provided in the destcriptions say, that both lasers have the same power (5mw)
I am pretty sure that you won't be able to inceinerate anything with that.

Wrong, you can burn with a 25mw. Focusing is more important than power. 20mw IS quite alot in the electronics world focus that into a needle point and u can burn anything.

>Don't be a retard. A lighter is much cheaper and can burn more than paper. Quit pretending you are Hansolo flying his enterprise or some shit.

You have to start somewhere... For some of us its a hobby and for some its a job. People who do this for a living have to have some kind of outlet. The same way we come on Sup Forums cause everyone outside is a massive faggot. Save for the ones you like

Slowest wave? You mean the longest wavelength. They all go at the speed of light, user

depending on what you want to do with those you should look up what wavelength is best for this material. as in the absorptioncoefficient of materials depend on the wavelength and are different for each material.
CO2 lasers have a wavelength of ~10µm which makes them perfect if you want to cut acrylics/glas fiber.
only found this shitty picture, there are better diagrams out there

No shit it is the most important, I was talking about wattage without focusing
I could burn a hole in my desk if I focused my lamp's light bulb enough

i used to have a 500mW green laser diode i fucked around with. i fucked up with the heatsink somehow and it burned itself out. it's a pretty expensive hobby when you really get into it, and i don't have the money, but i definitely get the fascination.

ty for your post

yeah, blue rocks

O.K., first, it is cheap shit made in China, so do NOT expect the power numbers to be accurate. A "5 mw" 532nm (green) can very easily actually be 50 mw. Same for a 450 nm Blue.

Get a cheap d/c p/s and a separate blue laser in a tube, 500 mw really cheap that way from China. Def. wear safety glasses for these, you do not want eye damage from a stray reflection.

the thing is, if you have a high intensity, highly focused red laser, it will output more power than a lower intensity, less focused blue one

idk if commercial ones can burn paper easily or not. I'd go for green, as they are cheaper, and your eye sees that color best. You could always use a lens to try to burn your paper. As for specs, idk what they give you, but higher power and more focusing is what you want.

Careful with non-diode lasers, as those might be manufactured as IR lasers, which give green by passing through a non-linear crystal. Problem is, if cheaply manufactured, those could possibly also emit IR radiation, at an angle that could be different from the green beam. Your eye doesn't see that, but can still burn itself with it.

> these colors of lasers were created for a specific reason
they depend on the laser active material used to amplify the light, although diode lasers are variable and you can use filters to half, double,... the wavelength but you will lose power in the process.

>i wanna laser that can light up a paper
>i dont mind if it weighs 10kg and have to plug it into the wall to use

Just got the laser 301 actually, surprisingly powerful for what I paid for it. At night the beam is very visible. It has the focus on it so you can burn things easier with it but I haven't tried it. The thing is crazy powerful for the money, and it's worth mentioning that green lasers are the brightest, most visible color for lasers.

well higher frequencies contain higher energy, so I would guess that yes the wattage needed to produce different light waves would be different but maybe not by much

>laser color has no direct affect on ability to burn.
Untrue.

A laser that better matches the absorption spectra of the object you wish to burn will transfer more energy into heat.

true enough, but for user's purposes, burning (assumedly) white paper, it's not going to matter much.

also the lower your wavelength the more you can focus it, but i'd guess the lenses would be your problem and not the laser.

And in the distance, which one goes further? Blue or green?

Yes

>Higher colors in the spectrum have more energy
very untrue, look at blue stars, they are much hotter than the sun

Atmosphere scatters blue more.

Also human eyes are most sensitive to green.

Thanks.

Why do you think blu ray exists and its more expensive? Its able to hold more data and have higher quality movies on it as a result.

Blue light scatters more. Also, your eye is less sensitive to the blue, so for the same brightness of a beam, the green will be perceived a being much brighter.

Shorter wavelength (smaller nm) is higher energy per photon.

But it's not the individual photon energy that matters. It's the total output.
That's the watts.

Blue-ray exists because the 405 nm wavelength can be focused to a much smaller spot size, therefore allowing the data lines to be much narrower.

which way is higher?

They do, but literally it is literally no difference. They are only fractionally different to each other.

But if its important to you, get ultraviolet, it is the most powerful.

I bought the blue, seems nicier.

thx OP.

red is lower energy, violet is higher energy.

Anyone had any experience with these guys?
I kinda wanna get this one, It says 500mW
wickedlasers.com/lunar

holy fuck, that price

Yeah $200 is a lot. But they look so sexy...And i've heard SO many bad things about other companies.

Wait, same price for a blue one thats 1 W....Uhhh...should i say fuck the purple and get the blue?

youtube.com/watch?v=cjuD6lZUU2A

OP you better not be one of those assholes who thinks its hilarious to point lasers in peoples eyes.

Go for wattage. Color isn't as important, but it can matter if you know what your target material absorbs best.

Honestly, I'd say go for a high wattage infrared laser. I found industrial 40mW diode assemblies for fairly cheap. Of course, you'd still need to provide proper power electronics...

red waves are Sup Forumstards, blues are /fit/s

Pilot here: Please don't point them at us.

There's a reason it's a major federal crime.

Power is power, a 5mW laser is 5mW no matter the color. However, colors will matter for visibility. Our eyes are more sensitive to green light so a green 5mW laser will seem brighter than both a 5mW red and 5mW blue laser. Also for burning, the more blue the better because lower wavelengths are more easily absorbed by lighter colored materials. A 1W blue laser will light paper on fire, a 1W red laser won't unless you first make it black by marking it with a sharpie or something.

Wickedlasers is pretty overpriced, try f.ex bitlasers.com/opencart/

Negligible difference at best. The mW of the laser is what matters along with the focus. A well focused 150mW laser will burn dark colored items. I have a 150mW laser I use to light fireworks