À bout de souffle (1960)
Ladri di biciclette (1948)
L'avventura (1960)
Tôkyô monogatari (1953)
L'Atalante (1934)
Ugetsu monogatari (1953)
Andrey Rublyov (1966)

Other urls found in this thread:

filmmakeriq.com/lessons/the-history-and-science-of-color-film-from-isaac-newton-to-the-coen-brothers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You are only speculating this, of course, since it would be impossible to prove or measure such terms.

>no Pulp Fiction
>no Shawshank
>no Matrix
>no Truman Show
>no Fight Club
Shit list.

Pretty great list but it's missing Au Hasard Balthazar. Is it supposed to end in order?

That's some weak b8 my friend.

Congrats on just discovering the sight and sound poll but I think your post is more suited for Reddit

How the fuck is the Searchers more influential than Birth of a Nation? Are you retarded? You know nothing about film

So nothing influential has been released after 1972?

It takes time to have influence.

Star Wars, and I don't even like it.

Influential how?

What makes you say this?

Add Sunrise, King Kong, Night of the Hunter and 7 Samurai, and you have an entirely accurate list.

I would only put Au hasard Balthazar at about 70th place. That's just my opinion. Great film, but not very influential, and I'm personally not a big fan of it.

Whoops, I saw you included 7 Samurai, my mistake

I've discovered Sight & Sound before this board even existed, but it is still nice that you mentioned it.

>7 Samurai

Shut the fuck up. You are not going to shoehorn that piece of shit in.

No, OK, tell us about it's "influence". I'd like to hear this, just for the sake of argument.

Griffith is influential no doubt, but if you know what you're talking about you should know that at least Intolerance had much bigger impact on cinema, and if I were continuing my list just a bit further, I would definitely mention it. And hey, this thread were supposed for other anons to post their suggestions as well, so why wouldn't you expand your list just a little bit and post it, so that we can have more objective discussion.

How about you watch more films than what's on the Reddit essentials list?

Star Wars did not influent anything, it was itself influentied by 2001: A Space Odyssey, which is mentioned in the list.

Is there anyone outside of US who seriously thinks Vertigo is a good movie?

>Reddit essentials list
Would you mind posting it? Because I've never seen it and have no idea what's in it. But I suppose all pre 90s films in it I've seen, and maybe I haven't seen some of the newest ones, if it has any.

>influentied
Good god you're stupid

>Citizen Kane

stopped reading right there

Would you mind explaining Vertigo and The Searchers' influence?

Oh please forgive me my 1st language being not English. That's not stupidity, and definitely would not count as a counterargument to my list.

I was wrong and my list is stupid. Please post some suggestions. Let's fix my list.

Or let's let this thread die, it has no purpose

Well it's already on OP's list, knob.

>No, OK, tell us about it's "influence".
It influenced a shit load of western films and pretty much every director apart of "New Hollywood" most notably Lucas' Star Wars.

really? please tell me how seven samurai influenced Dennis Hopper, John Cassavetes, and Polanski

>no Star Wars
>no Jaws
>no Forrest Gump & Jurassic Park
to reddito yo go kiddo

You know Star Wars? That's literally just seven samurai in space, so yeah. It also inspired countless spaghetti westerns. Which played a big role in developing film.

And that's just off the top of my head.

A Corner in Wheat and The Lonedale operator are probably more influential, independent of quality now, and Broken Blossoms has had an incredible impact on more modern filmmaking (60s and later)

Star Wars was influenced by more than 2001. It was also inspired by Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, etc, which are all older. I suppose if chronological existence makes something more influential (it doesn't, by the way. Simply look at LucArts' countless contributions to recent productions for direct evidence of the effect of Star Wars), then you would be correct.

OP you don't know about movies, stop embarrassing yourself, it is cringe.

Neither Cassavetes nor Polanski are New Hollywood directors

You know those are Reddit films right? You guys are aware that Reddit loves films post 1990 and big summer blockbusters and incredibly enters-level and simple films right?

See

>Citizen Kane wasn't influential.

Shut the fuck up, just becaue it hasn't aged well doesn't mean it didn't have a massive impact on how movies are filmed and made from the ground up.

Yet they are all very influential to cinema as it is today, if you deny that you're an absolutely moron.

This a bane thread now.

There all pretty influential I agree with you there, (I'm not OP btw) but I don't think there as influential as the ones OP posted at least not yet.

I was just saying that calling OP's list "Reddit" wasn't very accurate.

Deflecting the answers you get doesn't refute them.

Anyways I know Polanski has said that Seven Samurai influenced him a lot, and that he was definitely looking at Kurosawa's version of Macbeth when he was directing his own.

there's no rewording it. if you think polanski wasn't new hollywood you're a retard who doesn't know the first thing about films. i recommend you start with wikipedia and then work your way up to books and maybe watch some films too

>Citizen Kane
> it hasn't aged well

Citizen Kane was extremely influential. It is overrated as fuck, but very influential.

forrest gump and jp literally started the CGI fade that we are living in for more than 20 years now

Pulp Fiction should legitimately be on this list. If you were alive when it came out you'd know how influential and important that movie is.
Also, no Rashomon?

Is Jennifer Jason Lee left handed or right handed?

oh wait Jason Lee is that skateboard guy. *Jennifer Jason Leigh

>CGI fade

This isn't really a good thing and it really only affected major Hollywood blockbusters, which isn't a large portion of movies. Plus t influenced it in a bad way, so if we're including their two things we might as well add Transformers and Indpendece day to the list of most influential movies.

Right handed

Pulp fiction is just a rip off of Japense and French New Wave films. So it's not like he film itself brought anything new to the table and I think that disqualifies it for being influential.

Plus it only influenced the film world in a negative way and has had no real lasting impact.

L'avventura fucking sucks

>it really only affected major Hollywood blockbusters
how naive are you

Okay and some cheap asylum movies that tried to leech of the bog blockbusters, I left those out because they don't really count.

Other than that CGI isn't really that important.

I should clarify when I say "big blockbusters" I'm including films by people like Fincher and company.

It completely rejuvenated the samurai genre after it died in WW2 and the US Occupation.
The narrative structure is hugely influential in ensemble action movies
The action was gritty, violent, and felt real, all while having completely fluent direction. There is no confusing coreography, it banks largely on the viewer understanding the layout of the battlefield and anticipating what will happen in each sides next movie. Compare that with showy samurai films and bloodless westerns made before it

Every character is fleshed out and compelling, the film never feels like it's over 3 hours long. The cinematography and direction are flawless. Tell me what you hate about it

Sunrise is so amazing

Yes they are, unless you only mean people who got their start in that 67-80 period. Both flourished in mainstream Hollywood at the time, and were given the kind of artistic freedom and financing they never would have before or after

dude, you really are clueless about film. CGI is EVERYWHERE now, including guys like weerasethakul and jia.

badlands
el sur
celine and julie
hotel monterey
the double life of veronique
berlin alexanderplatz
cafe lumiere
goodbye dragon inn
and also by klushantev and lipsett
stupid films, have no place in the evolution of cinema

But it's not really essential I am well aware that's EVERYWHERE so you can stop condescending. I was saying that it's only been really essential in blockbuster films, the rest could hve gotten along just fine without it.

Plus those Jurrasic Park didn't "invent" CGI. It was just the first film to feature so majorly.

Plus with the release of Mad Max Fury Road I think we're going to see CGI slowly fade more into the background, so films like Jurrasic Park only had a passing effect.

Not to mention the fact that CGI is only a tool.

Mad Max was a hit but it's in no way a gamechanger. CGI reliant superhero films still make the most money, and are generally less work to do than spending months on physical props out in the real world

dude, stop.
Just stop. You're like a woman talking jesus.

nice argument babydick

Maybe this is just me, but I think that super-hero movies are on there way out, they peaked in popularity with the first avengers movie, and are slowly going downhill. I mean like what happens with DC.

I think that they'll be gone within the next 10-15 years or at least be much less popular. And I think more blockbuster will try to adopt Mad Max's style in hopes of becoming critical darlings like Mad Max.

But I have no idea what the future holds and that's just what I personally think will happen.

Woah, did you just try to debunk my statement by calling me a woman? That's so pathetic it's funny.

>Bronenosets Potemkin (1925)
isn't this just a meme movie to make fun of kino fedoras?

Nice digits OP

Why always The Godfather on these lists? Good movie, fine adaptation but how was it in any way a game changer? I could easily make the case that Die Hard was a more influential movie.

CGI was pretty much in its infancy back in the 90s and each major film that utilized CG build on the success of previous films before them, and in time were also the foundation for future films. To really appreciate the effect a film like Jurassic Park had you have to look at the history and evolution of CGI effects and the research that went into them. This was at a time where the technologies and software were being created on a project by project basis, each film bringing new research and development which without future films would not have been possible.To say a film like Jurassic Park had only a "passing effect" is not only incredibly insulting to the work these people put into it, but also very ignorant. They were pretty much inventing the wheel at every step.

It's the token auteur jap film, from token auteur jap director, every nation has one.

What the fuck are you even saying? It's not essential? Nothing is essential in film.

So what about Rashomon?

Technology doesn't mean shit in Art.

Continuing to deflect.

I never said that CGI wasn't hard to develop or that it didn't take years to develop, (in fact I actually did say that it took a while to develop.) I was just saying that CGI is not some game changer for film. Most of the greyaeys films of the past two decades either had. I CGI or a very small amount of CGI, so pretending that CGI forever altered the landscape of film is a little bit of an overstatement for reasons I've already made clear.

your argument is
"lol these are BAD films so they don't influence films"

You're not being objective, just like a woman
Now go back to jerking off to Tarkovsky

continuing to be a retard who doesn't know shit about cinema. Polanski is the definition of new hollywood, kid

Yes it's not essential also it didn't completely change the landscape of film just added another tool for films to use, and the only films that resolved around ur were major Hollywood bluckbusters.

And what said. Although I do think technology is important to art. It just shouldn't be the most important.

>it influenced ALL the most popular movies from the past 20 years
>it didn't change the landscape of cinema

No that was not my only argument but I do think it's important if we're including bad blockbuster movies that influenced the cinematic world, Trnasformers and Independence Day are just as influential.

And I think the point of the thread was to discuss movies that have Influneced the cinematic world in a positive or lasting way.

And could you stop being so immature and sexist?

>BRO COLOR ISNT ESSENTIAL. ITS JUST ANOTHER TOOL TO USE.
your retarded internal logic isn't even consistent. CGI isn't essential to Hollywood, they made blockbusters without it you naive 12 year old

Holy shit you really are a woman.

I think it's obvious the superhero trend will end in time. No genre of anything stays popular in one form forever

It didn't "influence" blockbusters the sane way something like Seven Samurai did, all it did was help playa role in developing a tool that these few mostly bad films revolved around.

That's really not that influential.

can someone recommend me a comfy classic film please

thanks

Rififi

But color isn't essential tons of Fantastic black and white films have been made since the invention of color in film and black and white films are continued to be made today.

I don't think color is an essential part of cinema it's just another tool, and color has been used much more than CGI so why aren't you arguing for the addition of the wizard of Oz which is the first film to feature color, and Jurrasic Park wasn't even the first film to feature CGI.

So what if I am? That doesn't make me wrong. Oh wait this is b8 isn't it... Well you fooled me.

>But color isn't essential tons of Fantastic black and white films have been made since the invention of color in film and black and white films are continued to be made today.
holy shit my sides

woman can't understant art is a meme they said

Sullivan's Travels

>and color has been used much more than CGI so why aren't you arguing for the addition of the wizard of Oz which is the first film to feature color
Is this a joke

...wizard of oz wasn't the first film to feature color

Cringe thread

I'm suprised this dipshit board didn't say the original ghostbusters with how hard everyone's been sucking it off lately.

>Le règle du jeu

No. Honestly how does this get on film lists all the time it's not remarkable for the period at all

great rebuttals, seriously am I talking to a bunch of edgy high schoolers? Oh wait this is Sup Forums so probably.

Well there was Snow White and The Seven Dwarves but that was animated film so I didn't count it. But if you want to that's fine. Unless you were talking about another film which I and the majority of the world hasn't heard about.

Couldn't agree more.

your refusal to actually watch films explains your idiotic posts. try watching the Great Train Robbery some time

citizen kane did not age well

It's a real movie and believe it or not, it's not bad. If you are used to at least some black-an-white films of 50s-60s you can find this film entertaining. It has some tightly packed action, some gore, and it is also short, just over 1 hour. Give it a try.

Probably bait, but what makes you say that.

I've seen the great train robbery and that film is not in color my friend so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Your mom did not age well.

>Unless you were talking about another film which I and the majority of the world hasn't heard about.
Obscurity has no impact on what was first.

filmmakeriq.com/lessons/the-history-and-science-of-color-film-from-isaac-newton-to-the-coen-brothers/
Why not try to educate yourself instead of posting inane shit like you are

It's pretty divisive around here but I loved it. It has the reputation of a propaganda film, and it technically is, but more anti-government corruption than pro-communist.

Five seconds on Wikipedia would help you