/film/ - Film Recomendation & Discussion

No capeshit, waifus, GOT, Sup Forumsitics, or memes.
>post a film you liked along with a plot summary
>others discuss it by replying to your posts
>use spoilers when discussing

>Twin boys move to a new home with their mother after she has face changing cosmetic surgery, but under her bandages is someone the children don't recognize.

>A brilliant plastic surgeon, haunted by past tragedies, creates a type of synthetic skin that withstands any kind of damage. His guinea pig: a mysterious and volatile woman who holds the key to his obsession.

>A hugely talented but socially isolated computer operator is tasked by Management to prove the Zero Theorem: that the universe ends as nothing, rendering life meaningless. But meaning is what he already craves.

>In Mexico, two teenage boys and an attractive older woman embark on a road trip and learn a thing or two about life, friendship, sex, and each other.

bump

>A teenage hustler and a young man obsessed with alien abductions cross paths, together discovering a horrible, liberating truth.

my spanish teacher recommended us this film in fucking 8th grade

Fucking hell man

Good thread op keep it up

Look through your Letterboxd guys, and post films you liked.

>Three friends discover their new flatmate dead but loaded with cash.

>John and Molly, a divorced middle aged man and a single mother meet at a friends party and start up a small relationship, all John has to do now is meet Molly's son... Cyrus

Written/directed by the Duplass bros.

>A man who debunks mind control techniques as a profession must help a couple whose daughter has recently joined a cult.

Black comedy with a very qt MEW

This film was alright I guess
Loses a lot of points for having its "big twist" be something that was obvious from the beginning

Would have easily been my FOTY that year if it weren't for the shit ending
Still in top 3

>8th grade in 2011
Fucking hell man

I actually just watched All About My Mother, still trying to wrap my head around it

>Detective Philip Marlowe tries to help a friend who is accused of murdering his wife.

Fantastic noir film

>An affluent and unexceptional homemaker in the suburbs develops multiple chemical sensitivity.

By the time he got the vaginatransplant, I was actually physically repulsed.

Sounds interesting. I'll watch it. Can only find a 2gb torrent though.

I actually wasn't a huge fan of it. It felt like Elliott Gould was sort of a 40's noir character getting tossed around in a 70's movie until he shoots the guy and just sort violently shoots out of it
I don't really get the big fuss people make about altman

>A troubled couple vacate to a beautiful getaway, but bizarre circumstances further complicate their situation.

It might look a little off putting but its definitely worth watching, not sappy at all like the title might suggest.

>This thread

would be GOAT if they removed the tiger / housekeeper's son plot

I liked how it subverted traditional noir expectations where typically the protag is right about there being a lot more to a case, but in the end it turned out to be mostly what the initial story was. The ending did feel a bit strange but at the same time it made sense given how much shit he got Marlowe in.

the quality on the 2gb is pretty decent, same rip i got.

>Strange things begin to happen when a group of friends gather for a dinner party on an evening when a comet is passing overhead.

Fun thriller, somewhat in the same vein as Primer if you want to know what to expect. It''s better to go in blind.

>When Alice Klieg wins the Mega-Millions lottery, she immediately quits her psychiatric meds and buys her own talk show.
Despite its low ratings and it looking like a chick flick, I really enjoyed this. Even though it's a comedy, I felt sad for Kristen Wiig and her illness.

>Goodnight Mommy
Just saw it an hour ago. The twist somehow didn't compute with me until I had finished the movie and read about it online. I thought the mom was ignoring the brother to give him the silent treatment. What's even worse is that people are saying they saw the twist 20 minutes in.

Sounds interesting. I'll watch it.

That's a nice picture of you, but you should take it to /soc/ instead.

Yeah, I thought that was a little bizarre and out of place.

>When Tony Stark and Bruce Banner try to jump-start a dormant peacekeeping program called Ultron, things go horribly wrong and it's up to Earth's Mightiest Heroes to stop the villainous Ultron from enacting his terrible plans.

I didn't expect to love it as much as I did. I've seen it twice this year already. I recommend The Invitation, as it carries similar vibes and takes place in the same enviroment.

>While attending a dinner party at his former home, a man thinks his ex-wife and her new husband have sinister intentions for their guests.

This was too arthouse for me. I didn't get it.

>The life of a time-traveling Temporal Agent. On his final assignment, he must pursue the one criminal that has eluded him throughout time.

Another fun movie to go into blind

>Alain Leroy is a recovering alcoholic who decides to end his life, but first decides to visit his friends in Paris one last time, in an attempt at finding a reason to continue living.

Please keep doing what you're doing OP

Ah yes, the classic "Ceux qui cherchent la vengeance: L'éon de l'automate"

Vrai kino

I didn't enjoy this movie, there were a few parts that were too goofy and the ending was kinda so so. It did have an interesting concept though, and the jew hunter is pretty good.

The Invitation is pretty shit imo. Very slow, and it felt weird that they'd tease a twist only to play the movie's premise straight in the last fifteen minutes.

>"The Dude" Lebowski, mistaken for a millionaire Lebowski, seeks restitution for his ruined rug and enlists his bowling buddies to help get it.

>An 8-year old troublemaker must protect his home from a pair of burglars when he is accidentally left home alone by his family during Christmas vacation.

>A spy organization recruits an unrefined, but promising street kid into the agency's ultra-competitive training program, just as a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius.

>As he plans his next job, a longtime thief tries to balance his feelings for a bank manager connected to one of his earlier heists, as well as the FBI agent looking to bring him and his crew down.
Honestly one of the best heist films ever made, yet I rarely see people talk about it. It takes place in Boston, so it's sort of reminicent of The Departed. Directed by Batfleck.

You're welcome, anons. Just trying to bring Sup Forums back to its glory days.
Almost gave up after posting 5 films with no replies tbqh.

What are some more movies that have the same twist of two characters actually being the same person from another dimension/time? I can remember seeing quite a few, but I can't remember any names.

I didn't like the whole "you were looking for the meaning of life, but meanwhile you forgot to live it" schtick, as it's sort of played out, but I loved it the rest of the film, especially the aesthetics. Almost didn't see it because of its RT score.

That's one of the things I liked about it. I went in expecting sci-fi, since I had seen Coherence before it, so I was surprised when it went good 'ol natural cult route instead.

I've seen so many people talking about this. Should I still see it if I generally don't like action?
I zoned out during Fury Road and TFA's space fights.

Highly recommend this film to everyone I went in it with little expectations and it ended being easily one of the greatest movies I've ever seen.

>a group of young friends that live in a run down mostly deserted US town in south band together and try to cover up a terrible thing that happens.

Don't look up anything more about it if you want to see it.

Sound like a reverse of The Changeling. Also Eyes without a Face is worth looking into too.

Pic related is for you.

If you haven't seen Richard Linklaters "before" series you should.

I have seen the before films, and it's definitely incredible how interesting Linklater is able to make people talking engaging for multiple hours. I've seen My Dinner with Andre as well, but I didn't find it nearly as entertaining.

>On the night of the discovery of a duplicate Earth in the Solar system, an ambitious young student and an accomplished composer cross paths in a tragic accident.

This is more of a drama. The sci-fi aspect plays more of a symbolic role.

>George Washington
Hard to find a good quality torrent of it on public trackers, which is a shame cause it sounds interesting. None of the 4 I added has any current seeders and it's not on Netflix either.

>Before series
Is it sappy? I usually can't get into romances.

>baby boomer does acid, becomes crazy, and subjugates a millennial for reasons

>I've seen so many people talking about this. Should I still see it if I generally don't like action?
>I zoned out during Fury Road and TFA's space fights.

You seem to be a pleb so no.

>The incredibly spoiled and overprivileged students of Camden College are a backdrop for an unusual love triangle between a drug dealer, a virgin and a bisexual classmate.

Looking for recs other than Less Than Zero

>The life and career of a legendary comedian, Andy Kaufman.
I'm not entirely sure why this movie strikes such a chord with me. I'm not even a fan of Andy Kaufman, nor did I realize that this film was a biopic until after I'd already seen it. The first time I saw it, I saw it two nights in a row.

A lot of people hail Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind as Jim Carrey's best performance, but I'd give it to this, cause it's a large part of why the film is so great.

The funeral scene ;_;

>not liking mindless action with no stakes is pleb
okay kid

Both RT scores are rotten, but the plot looks intriguing so I'll check it out. I like trippy, hazy films.

>Are you afraid of the 21st century?
Damn, that film is haunting...

Extremely predictable twist

that soundtrack though...

>not liking mindless action with no stakes is pleb

You don't understand action, TFA and Fury Road are not mindless.

Fury Road is one of the best action movies ever made.

the miniseries...not the one that merged all three parts into one movie.

Fury Road is mindless. The story is surface level and exists only to move the film to the next action scene. The main characters are incredibly bland too.

>Fury Road is mindless

wrong, try again.

the sequel isnt as strong though.

Not an argument. Try again

>not appreciating the pure literal kino of well filmed action sequence, how cinema can convey movement and energy when skillfully directed, performed, and edited

One huge aspect of cinema is the art of spectacle, and you don't seen to understand that basic pillar.

>After killing a night-club owner, professional hitman Jef Costello is seen by witnesses. His efforts to provide himself with an alibi fail and more and more he gets driven into a corner.

sleep tight in english

The plot is the worst thing about the movie. It's slow and dragging. The visuals and soundtrack are 10/10

A good film is more than just spectacle

This, he's a redditboxd pleb that seems to look for deep characters and plots in a movie where that is not the purpose.

He's going into the film with an incorrect mindset.

movie was comfy. Despite the topic atmosphere was pleasant. A bit like Last Year in Marienbad.

Liked this more than I thought I would. Has a very dreamy, almost surreal tone, and the soundtrack/score is fucking amazing.

A that's what Fury Road is.

>Mexico's meme movie
It's overrated

Someone rec some good Mexican shit

It isn't sappy at all, they're among the most realistic romance films out.

>A normal Friday service at a fast food restaurant becomes interrupted by a police officer who claims an employee stole from a customer, but something more sinister is going on.

The plot seems silly at first, but the film is still great at causing tension. I absolutely adore the soundtrack.

It's simply a difference in taste, friend. I don't like action films that are purely action films. I need something more to connect with the characters. If not, it just feels like actors doing acrobatics. Not characters that are in actual danger.

It's not a matter of an incorrect mindset either. I knew fully well that it was a spectacle film going into it. I didn't expect anything else, yet I still didn't like it. I tried my best to like it, and you can't expect anything more than that from people.

Did they not know what anxiety attacks were in 1995 America?

The main character is sort of the "strong suave silent type," which is sort of cliche nowdays, but the visuals and soundtrack are great.

Denis Villeneuve is becoming one of the best new directors of the past 10 years. All his films that I've seen are great.

agreed on Villeneuve...Hope he keeps that streak going

>oneitis the movie
No but really, it's great

thought i was the only one who saw this one...good movie

Looks great. Gonna check it out.

>A young cattle farmer is approached by a veterinarian to make a deal with a notorious beef trader.
Could you go a bit more in-depth with the plot? What's the film about?

youll be pleasantly surprised how good Mientras duermes (sleep tight) is

>tfw no pig to love you
>killmenow.jpg
Rec something similar pls
I want to feel hopeless and caged

Yo guys, start posting international movies as well to keep this alive, I'll post some too

bullhead is practically about a huge dude whos a farmer and he starts taking bull steroids. its practically about his process with it as well as his deppression and how lonely he is...its a good movie despite its slow pace....very different type of movie i think...thats the best i can remember about it

i loved this movie...takes a while to take off but once it does, it gets fucking intense as hell.

Dude its fucking time travel wtf time travel is awesome

Same exact thing happens in this movie. It's great up until the last ten minutes when you find out he really was crazy the whole time

I feel like it insults the viewers intelligence.

Is this Spaniard?
I watched a Spanish time travel movie and it was lazy as fuck
1/10 for effort

More like the last 60 seconds. I still liked the movie enough though.

yea its from spain....if the one youre thinking of takes place mostly in the woods then youre right

Alright guys, last one for tonight. Gonna go to bed soon, but keep the thread alive. I'll probably make a new one next week.
Also, is it just me or has Google stopped linking to Rotten Tomatoes?

>The relationship of a contemporary married couple, charting their evolution over a span of years by cross-cutting between time periods.
It gets a bit cheesy at certain points (eg. ukulele scene), but I still adore this film. Absolutely top comfy film that's perfect to emotionally drain you at 4 in the morning. Stars The Goose.

Love this. Think I'm gonna re-watch it.

Is the entire film shot in one take?

>They Look Like People
This is probably the most intriuging film I've seen in this thread. Definitely seeing this tonight.

If you liked Oz or idk any prison drama, you'll like this
Straight dude gets thrown into a special section of jail that only has gay men and transvestites. It's better than it sounds

After the clap of thunder and him breaking into that stranger's car I pretty much knew exactly where it was headed. I liked it too for the most part, and it was a decent exploration of mental illness.

it was shot in one take. no gimmicks. and very well done. it worked perfectly for this movie

the original one from argentina....by all means avoid the ameritrash remake

If you don't like/don't appreciate action in films, then I would not watch Kingsman. I went through a similar period were I resented any films that had action in it and would just dose off. If I were you, I'd try to work up to the genre. In my opinion, many take a lot more effort to get a message out of the experience that is more than reductive, reactionary moral foreplay. If you read up on them and be a bit more selective I'm sure you can find some that will satisfy what you are searching for in movies without any intense action.

I fucking love this. So this looks like a typical slasher horror flick with a blonde girl yeah? Hahhh that's what it wants you to think. Go in blindly and watch this mofo
>tfw you're lonely and have no one to watch movies with

This looks like High Tension on a boat. I'll watch it though. Let me guess the blonde's split personality is the killer the whole time

Naaah, close tho, if you see the movie you'll realize why you were close
High Tension any good?

>High Tension any good?
If you can deal with the completely crazy twist, yeah, it's excellent and tense as shit.

It's been years since I watched it, but at the time I think I liked it. It's brutal, and that's mostly what it had going for it if I remember correctly. The rural european setting gives it a nice atmosphere too.

just saw Jacob's Ladder. What a fucking trip.

Oh hell yes I'm watching this

yet another movie I've meant to watch but never gotten around to, my backlog has gotten ridiculous but this is on it

>Mathematician moves out to rural England with his wife and starts getting fucked with by the local hicks.

Saw this recently and loved it, any other good Peckinpah flicks?

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

>Shot documentary-style, this film follows the daily grind of two young police officers in LA who are partners and friends, and what happens when they meet criminal forces greater than themselves.

Garbage movie. I felt insulted by the twist that was foreshadowed throughout the whole movie. They assumed the audience is a bunch of retards.