Hey Sup Forums I need help from any mechanics on this site...

Hey Sup Forums I need help from any mechanics on this site, my car broke down due to a shit battery from the previous owner but as I was inspecting more of the car, I noticed there was this torn, anybody know what it is?

Oh and the car I drive is an 89 Toyota Camry

Dust boot for the cv axle

This, or dust cover for inner tie-rod.

How much would it cost to get replaced, and is it important?

did you take this pic while driving

It's actually a muffler bearing. Good news is they are cheap, in the neighborhood of 10-20 bucks, just call you local autoparts store and they can even show you how to install it.

Really, damn shame cause I can't start this shit lmao

Kek

this. it's not the end of the world, but you should get it fixed because eventually you'll fuck up your inner tie rod

inner tie rod boot. not important, but later on you'll need to replace it.

part is like $12, but you need to remove the tie rod to change it, and realign the car

or you can get on of the two piece boots and install a new one that way

over time the dust an grime will cause your steering rack to leak

Cv axle cover-it would most likely be easier to replace the axle while its out, atleast on the cars I've worked on.

Tie-rod cover-you can replace just the cover as long as the inner tie-rod doesn't have any play, but I would replace it anyways while you're in there.

Cv axle would probably be about $100 or less. Tie-rod cover maybe $20, and tie-rod $30. I'm not sure about mechanic labor.

Not that important, just keeps dirt and shit off but it could cause problems later on, their about 10 bucks

it's a inner tie rod dust boot. it just keeps dirt and contaminants out and grease in. without it, the parts will be subject to drying out and corrosion. depending on how long it has been broken and if there is already slack/wear on the tie-rod, in time it will need attention. but not overly critical to warrant immediate replacing.

It is the "boot" or "dust cover" for whichever side of the vehicle's steering rack. It can mess it up in the long run if water or dirt gets inside and will cost you to have that and the inner tie rod replaced. you can be mexican and just get a trash bag and cover it with some duct tape or get it fixed professionally.

its really nothing vital. no fixing it for a while isnt going to cause you to break down or crash, but over time you'll need to replace it

after taking the wheel off, you need to unscrew two things:
outer tie rod nut
then unscrew the outer tie rod. count the turns it takes to take it off and put it back on exact amount of turns

once outer is off, cut the old one off, and put the new one on

done

and realign the car or youll fuck your tires

this, although if you do like other user said and count the turns/threads you can usually get it pretty close. but i always advocate at least checking the alignment when any front-end repair is made, or when purchasing a new set of tires.

counting the turns is just so you get it back on close to where it was. that will get it close enough where you can drive it to get aligned

ive seen idiots change tie rods and they bottom it out or put it on a random number of turns an they scrub tires all the way to the shop lol

Dude its looks okay. Just to be safe find your exhaust manifold, should be at the bottom of the engine bay leading to the left, and hit it, dont be gentle, with a hammer a few times. Also, check your distributor cap, there should be 4 (assuming 4 banger) thick cables joining together, make sure its not too tight, it should be loose with some wiggle room. Also make sure you pour like a half a cup of sugar in your gas tank (helps if its a full tank), it helps contain contaminants, dirt and whatever, to the bottom of your gas tank.

Do this and it will make it well past 300k miles. I've been putting cane sugar in my 5.9L V8 for years now, purrs like a god damn lion.

It already looks like your rack is leaking through the inner tie rod seal from the boot being broken, it could cause air and dirt to be introduced into your power steering and do more harm than good.

tie rod boot, not an immediate emergency but get it fixed while you can. also your rack looks like its leaking a bit, again not an immediate need to fix but check your power steering fluid level every once in a while. id look into a good used rack and pinion to fix both issues

Thank you

Besides that, do y'all see anything else wrong with this piece of shit?

Put a new boot on it. $20 fix.

Might want to put some grease on it in case it dried out too.

Alternator looks new

Cut the red wire

you can try stop leak too, i worked as a mechanic for years and a guy i worked with had a chev pickup and his rack leaked really bad as in puddles everywhere, stop leak completely stopped the leak for a year until he bought a new rack

Owner thought alternator was bad but it was shit battery lmao, free alternator

Its a Toyota, you should be fine. But one thing is for sure with these distributors is that they go out after a while. Just a normal think with the 4 cylinder motors, A and S family. just be sure to get a used Toyota one if you ever come in to hesitation or misfire or no start issues. Usually always the Dizzy.

not really, engine looks clean and alternator looks recently replaced

nice. most people aren't intelligent enough to realize if a vehicle stays running once it's jump started, the alternator is putting out voltage. the battery only works as a storage point and cranking amperage source to run the starter. the alternator does everything else after the vehicle is running.

its just a toe rod boot, can cause problems over time, dont worry too much

but to be fair, on the flip side of that, once an alternator does go bad, it will usually suck a battery down and result in it needing replacement along with the alternator.

Well the previous owner said it was his grandmothers however it's been to 4 different states with 189 miles and the wiring in this car is fucked on all standards

I've seen some bad stuff, wiring isn't that hard to comprehend really.
t. AAS in Auto Tech.

Its dust cover for tie rod, not cv boot.
Its shouldnt cost alot. Im a mechanic and its probably a 45min job.

So many god damn things wrong with this image.

>16 valve
>4 cylinder
>horrid engine bay
>no hemispherical pistons
>not bored
>no carb
>no 3 inch stainless straight pipes

I can really tell you love your engines. Especially that massive displacement.

>no boost or bottle
>only balls and throttle

I'm drunk, I like cars. This is my thread now.

Yeah it's me from a couple days ago.

Bout to bump this shit out of existence.

>hey buddy ill take this picture for ya
>dont worry.
>i got this

I'd be willing to bet I have more cars than anybody has of any other specific genre.

>8/1278
See how far I can drag this out.

>that car when nobody on Sup Forums has no taste in cars

Lol@ thanks for sugar in gas tank advice

>natural/automotive selection
It's not my fault I read Chilton manuals instead of making friends.

>idk wut chilton
Put your head under a tire and let it roll over your head.

fuckin lol

you will need to demount the steering track rod end and change the sleeve.

doesnt have to be done tomorrow but in the long run you don`t want dirt gathering inside the steering

most probably the track rod ends need changing themselves anyway. you can check this by lifting the car both front sides and while shaking the wheel left to right put your hand on the rod to feel any gap or movement. this is the procedure for checking all suspension/steering related parts

google "steering rack" to get a closer idea

being a mechanic my garage would charge 30min

just the steering rack boot, its a dust seal not an oil seal, if oil is leaking from it then the rack is fucked, if u take the outer tie rod and jam nut off the boot will come off(it may have a metal tie holding it ot) if the car isnt fancy just leave it imo.

post more cars

god i love the curves of these cars

edit: should you attempt this yourself the work itself is not hard. the hard part is making sure the track rod end you demount fits back on exactly the length it was before.

since your asking what part this is in general i would advise you get somebody to help or get it done by mechanic

sometime even the mechanic is lazy or dnt pay attention and steering needs to be re calibrated

Op don't touch that it's mustard gas.

I was gonna stop because nobody on Sup Forums has taste. But for you I will tap into my most cherished Alfas. Some of them, I never lay my hand on the table.

Come on, this meme is well over used. Come up with something new. Sup Forums will get stale after a while, as if its not rock hard Cheerios at this point. Stop making it worse. It's already worse than a quad DP/megaprolapse.

No car for you.