Why do guitarists shun superior single coil pickups and assume the default option always has to be mush-inducing high...

Why do guitarists shun superior single coil pickups and assume the default option always has to be mush-inducing high output humbuckers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t_irnk6bemQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you're not allowed to post this --

this pic on Sup Forums --

of Hillary Clinton --

Because they probably only play high gain music that sounds like shit. Single coils are awesome. P90s rule.

I like to have atleast one humbucker.

I think it's a good idea to have a humbucking guitar like an es335 or something. i prefer hot tele pickups or one p90 guitars

needs more gain bruh

never a fan of active pickups
humbuckers and single coils are all i like
and yes, they are very versatile can be used from blues to rock and extreme metal

They're both awesome, just with different purposes.
Single coils are amazing for a nice clean sound, while humbuckers are great for more crunch
Each has their own purpose
No need to fight, friends

youtube.com/watch?v=t_irnk6bemQ

>more gain

90% of newfag guitarists feed thier ibanez superstrat into a solid state amp the listen through headphones. The last thing they need is gain. What they actually need is the clarity of a single coil before thier inbuilt effects clip the crap out the signal.

Certain venues are a nightmare with p90s. Humbuckers exist for technical reasons too

And here come the elitist ass clowns

Humbuckers serve only one purpose - to remove hum if you are around large sources of EMI

tele hot is a stacked humbucker. and a p90 is not a single coil in the regular sense

because single coil whine, and can sound tinny unless you adjust your eq to make up for it. aside from that they only thing they really do well are pinch harmonics or running them in reverse polarity. aside from that they are shit

With distortion, beyond a certain point the pups wont matter. All you hear is the sound of the pedals and the amp. And if you put a single coil through that distortion the hum is going to be loud as all fuck.
Clean though, I agree single coils sound much better. Also I am very fond of the sound of neck and mid position single coils out of phase. The fourth position on the switch on a lot of newr strats.

Forgive the arrogance, but why would you want something that makes the guitar sound like some one has put a blanket over the speaker?

For me that tone would sound like absolute trash, but for a lot of metal it makes sense. I'm sure those pedals plugged into a loud old sunn or ampeg is pretty intense. Not everyone wants pure sweet john mayer white boy guitar center blues tone.

hollow body guitars

Not hollowbody, semi hollowbody. They can handle a lot of gain too. just not stupid fizzy over the top gain.

HSS or HSH FTW

I put coil splitters on all my humbuckers, why not have the best of both?

because they haven't heard of zexcoils

I can't believe that we are this far into the thread without the use of the word 'genre'

It's all relative to your needs OP. what's your point?

That most people dont tet humbuckers on account of need. They get them for bling. Extra row of pole pieces must be better, right?

>"Mah high output"

Well yeah. But high output comes at the cost of clarity and unless you are feeding a cranked tube amp that extra gain is mostly lost.

TL;DR most people dont understand the point of humbuckers and just buy them because thier idol uses them. Under stage lighting.

first of all

Distortion > Gain

second of all

Single Coil > Humbucker

nuff said, metalfags can suck my fender.