Western popular music is the fast food of music...

Western popular music is the fast food of music, and there is more exciting creative music making going on outside the Western pop tradition than inside it. There is so much incredible noise happening that we'll never exhaust it. For example, there are guitar bands in Africa that can be, if you let them, as inspiring and transporting as any kind of rock, pop, soul, funk or disco you grew up with. And what is exciting for me is that they have taken elements of global (Western?) music apart, examined the pieces to see what might be of use and then re-invented and reassembled the parts to their own ends. Thus creating something entirely new.

Other urls found in this thread:

query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9901EED8163EF930A35753C1A96F958260,&pagewanted=all
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Was David Byrne the original poseur?

Literally who?

To restrict your listening to English-language pop is like deciding to eat the same meal for the rest of your life. The ''no-surprise surprise,'' as the Holiday Inn advertisement claims, is reassuring, I guess, but lacks kick. As ridiculous as they often sound, the conservative critics of rock-and-roll, and more recently of techno and rave, are not far off the mark. For at it's best, music truly is subversive and dangerous.

was it autism?

He's right.

what?

Most people don't even properly dig in to Western music though, and there's so much there

There is some terrific music being made all over the world. In fact, there is more music, in sheer quantity, currently defined as world music, than any other kind. Not just kinds of music, but volume of recordings as well. When we talk about world music we find ourselves talking about 99 percent of the music on this planet. It would be strange to imagine, as many multinational corporations seem to, that Western pop holds the copyright on musical creativity.

Yep

The problem is not western music but American imperialism. There is so much non-western pop music that takes cue from it's folk music traditions that is unknown to the world because it doesn't follow American imperialist formulas.

American cultural imperialism, to be more precise.

every place has interesting things going on. most mainstream music is fast food, it's only interesting when it's not.

hahahahahaha who cares

By the way, I don't know if this was taken from his online diary, but his online diary is full of incredibly interesting stuff that he writes. If you're a triggered little Sup Forumsfag who will start sperging out whenever anyone says something not nice about Trump then it might not be for you, but to anyone else, it's really great.

YAAAAAAS SLAY

America, Africa, Angola, Albania or Afghanistan who gives a fuck.

Quality music has no boundaries and borders.

It's from this...

query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9901EED8163EF930A35753C1A96F958260,&pagewanted=all

David! You're bringing me down, man!

omg lets fuck

Thank you. What's he up to these days?

No idea, just stumbled upon this article the other day and enjoyed the read and his points.

I like fast food sometimes though

DUDE fuck white ppl lmfao xDDDDD

Where'd he say that?

He's working on a musical about Joan of Arc apparently.

NEW ALBUM FUCKING WHEN. ITS BEEN 5 YEARS SINCE LOVE THIS GIANT.

He probably saw "there are guitar bands in Africa" and his Sup Forums instincts automatically took that to mean "I hate white people and I want black men to fuck my wife"

Isn't non-western pop music just a different brand of fast food?

this

fucking poseurs i swear to chirst