Does anyone think that r.e.m. is somehow losing stature over time...

does anyone think that r.e.m. is somehow losing stature over time, or that they're not being remembered as fondly as other (smaller / less significant) bands of the era?

They are pretty well, regarded.

They are way underrated on Sup Forums specifically, but outside of this echo chamber, they are still holding strong, thank the maker.

They're still talked about fondly when they're brought up.

They're just not brought up as much anymore.

spotty discography and as good as they were they weren't hugely innovative

fuck, I hate undereductated children.

GTFO my lawn.

buck says himself they never strayed far from ballady rock

I feel that everything up to Automatic for the People is legendary in its own right and will be remembered

Neither did NMH, Beach Boys, or gasp, the guys your autistic Scruffy god's bane (the Music Pun Bugs)... one can innovate within a paradigm.

They just let it go on too long. Everything before the major label jump is highly regarded, especially Chronic Town/Murmur/Reckoning.

>the guys your autistic Scruffy god's bane (the Music Pun Bugs)

english please

r.e.m influenced fuck all, U2 were doing the same stuff and selling far more records

it means the beatles you stopid

Ignored on Sup Forums because they sold in too many records. However, Monster is one of my. favourite albums of all time.

Considering that they were around since 1980 and have been disbanded for five years, I'd say they're still pretty well recognized. Their highest point of popularity was probably in the early 90s, but I don't find that people today are any less aware of them than, say, ten years ago.

They're a singles band.
Great singles though

Murmur is pretty phenomenal
everything up to Automatic is great

I love all of their stuff up to Life's Rich Pageant
Their hit singles are great too, but their jangle pop stuff is what I care about the most

they were massively influential but the Smiths p much invalidated everything that made REM good while bringing more variety to the table

which is kinda sad considering REM hit their "peak" after the smiths had broken up

I love both bands but they're not that similar
Morrissey and Stipe may have somehow similar singing styles but their lyrics don't have much in common.
Also Marr and and Buck both are folk-influenced and rely on clean arpeggios but Marr is much funkier and jazzier while Buck has a more prominent country and punk influence

Any band that is remembered or still in the public eye is actively doing it, marketing, reissues, they have to work to be remembered

It's a question of what's in fashion now. They're not really an influence on any big or trendy bands. Also, literally a decade of shite

what are big and trendy bands atm and what are their influences?

today REM would be flagged as too white, not even alt-right, but it's clear where the music press stands

UP had a lot of good songs on it.

Yeah, they were never quite like their competitive "sister"band, Camper Van Beethoven. But CVB never really did make it out of the clubs and into arenas. Ahhh, I miss college radio.

They are the defacto face of jangle rock. Until that loses all its fans they'll always be liked.

Yeah, they both cite The Byrds as a major influence. Good point.

Morrissey always came off as more of British cynicism where Stipe was more into poetry, I think. They both were left of center, though.

>everything up to Automatic for the People
New Adventures in Hi-Fi is excellent too.