Who "won" Post-Punk?

Who "won" Post-Punk?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UbFS8Fet0MI
youtube.com/watch?v=7BPNaYsiKVM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

U2, unfortunately

The Cure. Threw in some solid contenders early on but came back full force years later with Disintegration.

I mean... yeah, but a bulk of their popularity was during their pop/rock days

The Cure's most acclaimed album was almost entirely Post-Punk and it had a lot of their most popular singles, so wouldn't they have come closer?

Well JD did not because he
You know
Died

bowie, george michael, ian curtis... heaven must have one hell of a band

They lived on as New Order

Sonic Youth and they weren't even post punk for more than an album

Possibly. But they only got bigger as they moved away from it. By the time they were megastars their post punkiness was totally foregrounded.

Eh, Sister and Daydream Nation could qualify in a perverse sense if Evol does. It's less of a unique statement and more of a transitional record, away from their no wave roots without fully leaving that style behind. The following 2 albums were just following that logical progression.

*Backgrounded I meant. Shit. Their first three albums are the only ones that could be considered part of post punk. Everything else is for the arena.

Further evidence that they didn't win shit LOL

Sounds like you haven't really given it a close listen. sister and daydream nation have nothing on evol. evol has actual lyrics and is not just a transitional record because instead of using opening tunings and chance to create dissonance like the looser conusion is sex and badmoon rising it's very controlled noise and creates an ambience unlike any other album in their discography and even other post punk bands.

youtube.com/watch?v=UbFS8Fet0MI what the fuck are these retarded lyrics

I think its foolhardy to judge most, if not all SY albums by their lyrics. Their first 3 and maybe Rather Ripped are the only ones that have anything really worth tuning in to. And I would say that it's transitional in the sense that songs like Tom Violence, Green Light and Star Power sound inbetween the despondency of Bad Moon Rising and the more focused progressions of Sister, but you do have a point in that the odder ends of Sister like In The Kingdom #19 and Secret Girl were never quite replicated again. But the actual songcraft was simultaneously a refinement from the early stuff and a foreshadowing of what was to come.

Whoops, meant "odder ends of Evol".

well i guess i pay too much attention to songwriting shit but of course theres elements that were brought onto sister and left with badmoonrising but that doesn't make it less cohesive in any way if that's what you were saying.

My point exactly

No, Evol has an identity of its own but in the grand scheme of things I feel like it's the band's first step into more refined territory. Much as I like the first 2 they are very much efforts that, like you said, are loose and leave a lot to chance. Evol saw them start to rein their excesses in for the first time, something that the band would get progressively better about as they went on if never quite as inspired in its execution as it would be in Daydream Nation, where they hit a magical medium between accessibility and avant-garde jamming. But that all aside, what makes Evol distinctive is that they began this refinement while still having one foot in that darker no wave territory, creating something that's all its own but also kind of feels like a stepping stone as well. Brilliant record, but also the midpoint of a 5 album streak of steady growth and maturity.

The Birthday Party, no question

Too bad Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds is such shit (except those first two albums... goddamn)

i really can't get into any of their 90s/00s material

do you know of any SY charts or do you have any idea on where to start

Killing Joke...

...obviously.

I can only give my personal opinion, namely that I think the early 90s stuff is their weakest period but the latter 90s stuff is pretty good while the 00s saw them steadily refine their craft into a more accessible format. If I had to recommend one album from each era it'd probably be Dirty, Washing Machine, and Sonic Nurse. There's definitely come curveballs in there though - A Thousand Leaves is probably their most difficult work while Rather Ripped is their most accessible, and then there's stuff like Experimental Jet Set which sounds like SY in vignette form and the beat poetry-inspired NYC Ghosts and Flowers. I dunno, post-Daydream Nation SY is quite the trip with its ups and downs.

Pere Ubu

The Fall is the only correct answer

>waiting for mary

The answer is Mark E. Smith.

Interesting to see someone bring up In The Kingdom #19 though. That track is way underrated. They never even played it live. Probably because they couldn't replicate it.

Wire. They are the only post-punk band that did an album that can be called a masterpiece (154)

Disgusting trip-pleb

To elaborate:

No one is operating on the same level as that guy mentally. He's on an entirely different rocket ride for everyone else. Entire different plain. The guy probably can't tell a G chord from an F chord and yet he writes all this music in his head and makes his band play it. Done it for years, never ever compromised anything, and lucked into a few minor hits in the UK, and he's still doing it.

Fuck off retard.
youtube.com/watch?v=7BPNaYsiKVM

Garbage.