Soup Sup Forums

Soup Sup Forums,

Had a quick question about electricity/charging cables that I couldn't for the life of me answer on google.

Can any of you fags tell me why there is a bit of plastic at the tip of a barrel connector?

In pic related the plastic tip broke off and I need to know what purpose it served. Is cord kill?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_circuit
rma.ac.uk/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bumping with tits

Plastic is because you big bitch

The plastic is insulation providing clearance for the outer housing from a potential point of unwanted electrical contact somewhere else inside the female end.. i think

It's okay if you don't know either, but why even post? That was far from humorous. Do you need a hug lonely user?

tldr; cord is live, laptop can be kill

Can anyone confirm?

Would that mean the cord could damage my components?

I just replaced the motherboard because the power jack broke off it. It powered on and worked but I turned it off to move it and now it won't come back on. Worried the broken cord fucked the new mb??

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_circuit

not necessarily, the plastic is insulation between the positive and negative.

as long as the inner and outer metal contacts aren't touching it should be ok

It's there to separate positive and ground current.

nigga why you still usin the cord

60 dollar part. WASN'T sure if it mattered since no info could be found. Took my dad's word for it lol

I just said that. There's a reason why the OEM puts it there. So you dont fry your shit

If I push the plug into the socket, might that happen if it touches the back wall of the socket?

Bonus question,

If I did short circut my board, what would be damaged? The power jack? The leads around it? The whole board? All my ram sticks and wifi card? CPu? Gpu?

it's 12v and only about 500ma so wouldn't be enough to cause a spark, also it will have a bridge rectifier to protect it

trips of truth

Nice trips.

So now that I shorted my motherboard whats next lol

somewhat true, you can still end up damaging the power jack rendering it unable to receive power from the charger, perhaps deform the plastic mold

Lol

delete System32

-Replace charging jack component
-RMA
-New motherboard
-Stop fucking with the cord

build a desktop

Rma?

>RMA
rma.ac.uk/

Tell me how to get my computer on first ;)

just put some tin foil in ur wall socket

Thanks for all the replies guys. Rrally appreciate you

Lol got me