In hindsight, were Nirvana as good as people say they were?

In hindsight, were Nirvana as good as people say they were?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hWNjQD7FNXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ZLthJDXbq6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=EpFPuS1o9d0&t=16m35s
youtube.com/watch?v=qmhVN6xsZVw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Depends on who you ask but I rate them a 8.5/10

Nobody is as good as people say they are

In the context of mainstream music being really shitty back then, hell yeah they were

Everything that influenced Nirvana is much better than Nirvana. Butthole Surfers, Melvins, Beat Happening, Dinosaur Jr. Etc. Nirvana aren't terrible, they have some songs I really enjoy, but in general they are not stellar. I wouldn't even say they're "good" necessarily.

They will always be massively overrated due to Kurt's suicide and for them being the forefront of the ushering in of alternative rock music to the mainstream. Still, they were pretty great and Kurt could make some really catchy songs. They deserve praise.

Hell no. They're decent but were also in the right place at the right time. In Utero is their best and that's like a 7/10.

>novoselic bloody mouth/10
>grohl basic bitch multi-millionaire/10
>cobaine bloody head/10

Add it all up, it's about 7/10. one of those acts that's simultaneously overrated and underrated, but still one of the great american rock bands

To be honest I think they were. Their music is pretty timeless and remains fresh. There is some real thought-provoking stuff hidden in those lyrics. They had plenty of character and tore up the stage live. They were all very talented.

Everybody has different taste, but as far as a band goes, they had it all. What more can you ask?

Hell no, Nirvana were the Foo Fighters of the grunge movement before Foo Fighters even existed. Pearl Jam were more like 70s hard rock like Led Zeppelin, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were more metal, and Mudhoney were more like Black Flag, but Nirvana wasn't particularly like anything. They were so middle of the road that they appealed to nobody in particular, and therefore appealed to the lowest common denominator.

is kurt the master of cut up nonsense lyrics? they genuinely sound like they mean something but it's all gibberish

dumb

I think he said in an interview he just makes most of it up after procrastinating on writing them

/thread

ITT how contrarian can I be

>is kurt the master of phoning it in
he was so ahead of his time

i'm pretty sure he also said he did the david bowie method of just chopping sentences out of his diaries and news articles and books and stuff and stitched them together as a song. It's all nonsense but it resonates with so many people. Maybe that gives it meaning despite the author not handing any when he wrote it

His words not having meaning =/= them being phoned in or effortless. He was a ridiculously hard worker

>heroin junkie who's stated himself that he's lazy so he waits until the last minute to fill in lyrics
>ridiculously hard worker

procrastination =/= laziness
are you 9?

>i get my best work done procrastinating
says all tired hacks

Not really a matter of contrarianism. Smells Like Teen Spirit was a fluke, no one expected that song to take off the way it did and it only even happened because Kurt decided to write a pop record for shits and giggles.

Their pre-Nevermind stuff was still very top 40 ~rock~ radio friendly especially when compared to their peers

Yes. They released two 10/10 albums and were easily the most significant and influential musical act of the 90s. They're still relatively new in comparison (and their sound sounds relatively fresher) so people scoff, but they'll go down in history as one of the great rock acts of the 1900s alongside Elvis, Chuck Berry, the Beatles, the Stones, Led Zepp, etc.

No, you missed the point you fucking moron. HE SAID the word lazy himself.

Why are you trying to put him on a pedestal? Even he didn't like himself that much, that's why he killed himself

>he didn't like himself that much
kek

not even remotely

youtube.com/watch?v=hWNjQD7FNXQ

When was this photo taken? I assume 1994 due to the hospital wristband

>they appealed to nobody
>appealed to the lowest common denominator
Which is it? Make up your mind

This is probably the worst post of all the nirvana threads thats been showing uo this week, congrats

I never listened to them to often but when I did I thought they were pretty groovy

nirvana are definitely good but i feel like they are mostly immortalized by kurts death
who knows what their output wouldve been like if he was still around

Nirvana sucks a chode, so does grunge.

From what I gather they were losing steam with In Utero anyways so odds are they would've been dropped from the major labels, BUT their fourth and maybe fifth albums would've probably been even better than In Utero which, let's face it, is largely garnered its praise posthumously as a glorified suicide note. Good album, but Kurt's death is what immortalized it. Nirvana hadn't reached their peak potential if you ask me, though perhaps In Utero was hinting at it.

>From what I gather they were losing steam with In Utero anyways so odds are they would've been dropped from the major labels
lol

>wahh i hate opinions that arent mine

>wahh I hate opinions that are invalid
ftfy

a previously unreleased song that wasn't even a b-side, wow amazing. they knew what they wanted to be from day 1
youtube.com/watch?v=ZLthJDXbq6Y

Sure if you're a fanboy or something.

are you implying that nirvana is better than all their influences
because you couldn't be more wrong

he cited ELO as an influence and Jeff lynne could kick that little fag's ass

That's a cover of a song from the 60s. How is that relevant?

Nirvana and ELO sound nothing a like, are you tarded?

Good enough to remembered by rollingstone and posters companies for the next 100 years. Not good enough to listen to after being 15 ..but not be embarrassed that you loved it.

7.5/10 overall

>negative creep
>top 40
>downer
>top 40
>sifting
>top 40

it's almost like you listened to one song and formulated an opinion based off of that

I'm of the opinion Kurt was lying about his lyrics

They are pretty clearly meaningful to me. He just wanted to act like they meant nothing for cool points.

Dude lied all the time btw.

>cries harder
Fixed that Ftfy for you

That doesnt make nirvana sound any closer to ELO retard

i didn't even say they sounded like elo
he said that shit like the beatles and elo influenced him

just stop

clearly he has trouble with reading comprehension so dont sweat it user

They were pretty damn good, not as good as Soundgarden, but still pretty damn good

holy keck

>From what I gather they were losing steam

worth watching this video
youtube.com/watch?v=EpFPuS1o9d0&t=16m35s

&t=16m35s

the industry already understood that kurt was too self destructive. big labels were not so interested in the future of nirvana as they were already looking for the next band that could sorta sound and look like nirvana.

....it's their debut single. a catchy, dumbed down, accessible alt rock song. there's nothing wrong with that but let's not try and pretend they were trying to do something ~*new/different~*

3/13 wow. i presume all those songs were used for promotional purposes?

They wouldn't be allowed to release songs like that as singles.

you responded to a post saying ELO doesnt sound like nirvana by posting a wiki excerpt showing kurt listened to it as a kid. Which is hardly citing an influence, stay reaching though faggot
>wait ur sayin kurt is better than everything hes ever listened to omg elo is totally my dadz fave xd
>they dont sound alike
>look at this wikipedia lolz
>still doesnt sound alike
>OH WOW THAS NOT WHAT I SAID LOL READING COMPREHENSION ANY1 LOLS

>~*new/different~*

you type like someone who would use :3 unironically

3/13 what? have you listened to bleach?

About a Girl is really the only song that would get actual radio play feasibly

You clearly haven't heard Floyd the Barber if you think Bleach is 3/13 songs that are not radio friendly

Are most of the songs accessible? Yes, but there's also songs like paper cuts, which would never get mainstream play.

Really your comments show me how you miss the genius of Nirvana. Everyone raves about them because they know the singles, but that's just one side of them. The good Nirvana, the real Nirvana lies in the deep cuts and b-sides.

I want these children off my board

that's not even me, you realize that, right? Sorry user, two strangers on the internet both agree you have trouble with reading comprehension.

well, thats not me and i think you have a problem with reading comprehension.

that's not even me, you realize that, right? Sorry user, two strangers on the internet both agree you have trouble with reading comprehension

>tfw no kurt cobain gf(male)

that's not even me, you realize that, right? Sorry user, three strangers on the internet both agree you have trouble with reading comprehension

sis, if you thought using ~* was being serious....

anyway, no one cares about the deep cuts and b-sides that has nothing to do with this. when a song is chosen as a single or used in any promotional manner, that is how the label or band itself wants them to be portrayed. last i checked nirvana wasn't signed to a major label during that era so i find it hard to believe they had music executives down their ass messing with their promotional material.

they chose to promote catchy, radio friendly songs from the beginning and clearly it paid off so good for them!

"allowed" ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! hole's first single for sub pop was a jarring grindcore inspired song about incest and child rape. get a grip

Do you genuinely belive Nirvana are better than Butthole Surfers, Dinosaur Jr, and Melvins? If you do then wew man you gotta get some taste

Kurt Cobain was the god of melody

>hole's first single for sub pop was a jarring grindcore inspired song about incest and child rape
Whew, you weren't lying
youtube.com/watch?v=qmhVN6xsZVw
Was she always such an edgelord

They'll always be listened to by sad mopey teenagers. They were talented; it does take talent to make music that really reflects the sadnesses of adolescence.

I'll probably always like them because I'll always have a mopey 16 year old inside me, but I get why some people go off them.

Only because their popularity shaped top 40 radio rock for the next 20 years though.

Yes, Melvins and Butthole Surfers are more creatively interesting, but Nirvana getting popular essentially created popular interest in grunge.

Dinasaur Jr>Butthole Surfers>Nirvana>Melvins

You are living All Over Me is a masterpiece you pleb.

no lol

grunge is not good
inb4 butthurt 16-23 yr olds

if kurt didn't die they would have 3 classic albums to their name. that makes you legendary no matter what.

you don't have to like it, but i enjoy it, and that's all that matters to me friend

I'd say Butthole Surfers=Dinosaur Jr>melvins>Nirvana. Also yes you're living all over me is one of the greatest albums ever made, where did I say it wasn't. Though Locust Abortion Technician is my favorite album of all time

more like butthurt 23-35 year olds that would have grown up in that era

>....it's their debut single. a catchy, dumbed down, accessible alt rock song. there's nothing wrong with that but let's not try and pretend they were trying to do something ~*new/different~*
It's not Top 40 though.

Nice try

of the big 4 of grunge nirvana was the least talented and aic and soundgarden were miles ahead of them