Chord naming help

Are there any actual musicians on this board or is it exclusively shitposting? I need some help from someone who knows music theory.

I'm a self-taught guitar player and songwriter. But I'm tired of brute forcing my way through the technicalities of my songs so I'm trying to learn the proper theory now. What I'm stuck on is chord designations.

I know that I can just write out the finger placements (like [x-3-2-0-1-0] for C) but I want to learn what the chords actually are. I'm using an online chord namer and it's helpful but I don't know what name to choose. For instance here's a two chords from one of my songs that I'm struggling to notate properly:

key of C: [0-7-x-0-0-6-8] [0-8-x-9-9-10]

Pic related. How do I know what chord names I should write down in relation to the key? It goes without saying that I'm a music theory retard and only understand it through playing it.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s09Prd6D4V0a
youtube.com/watch?v=T5SmcH11kUk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you learn scales you will learn that chords are made up of certain notes in scales.

what are the notes in each chord
I don't read tab

The notes in each chord are the Chord tones of a scale or the spcific notes asked on the chord, chord tones are the "important notes of the scale" that give color, generally the 1 3 5 and 7 of the scale.

Example

C major scale
C(1) D(2) E(3) F(4) G(5) A(6) B(7)C(8)

The chord tones of this scale
The 1 is C
The 3 is E
The 5 is G
The 7 is B

These notes are the basic ones you need to know for a Cmajor Chord

Music is just mathematics in terms of theory

no, I know that - I asked what are the notes in each chord OP is talking about. I don't read tab.

those are retarded ass chords

well every dot on the board is a semitone... his lowest note is open E string, second seems to be F, third is E, then G#, then D

and I'm talking about his second picture where it says durr.

In your second example there's no real name for that because it's a named chord with an extra note thrown in that doesn't really add anything to the chord
I'll let you figure out which one

If I am reading your question correctly, you need to name the two specific chords you have listed in the attached picture. You name a chord based on a few different factors, and some chords are easier to name than others. It looks like you have selected very ambiguous chords that can be several different names.

A few questions that need answered, what key are you in, what chords come before and after these chords and what is the function of the chord in question?

OP here.

Yes I know it's all a matter of mathematics and I know that the names come from the intervals in the scales. I'm just perplexed by what name to pick for the key of C. Is is gonna be the Em ones??

I agree but they work really well for the phrase I'm using them in

what software is this? looks helpful

Uh see thats the thing. I don't know the name of the chords I'm playing, even before these ones. There's a C that walks down to an Amaj7 and then I just play these shapes I came up with...

google "guitar chord namer" and you'll find several

probably, those are the least retarded sounding ones

I have a bachelor's degree in music from Berklee. But thanks to the Internet, everything useful I learned in class is just a few clicks away. I'm sure there must be a few good series on Youtube to learn basic music theory. Or if you're really desperate, buy a book.

You need to learn music. You will never understand what or why you're playing without knowing basic scales and music theory. You're like a kid tracing a drawing instead of learning to sketch

I'd usually go with the simplest name and place importance on triads. For example a chord consisting of the notes D, F, A, C, E could be called Fmaj7add13/D or Amadd11add13/D if you really wanted it to, but it makes much more sense to just call it Dm9.

Well, from a traditional theory standpoint, these chords are pretty far away from your home key of C. E7b9 is a major III chord (normally minor iii in the key) and FmM13/E is a minor chord with some hip extensions (but is normally major IV in this key).

Call them what you like, especially since it sounds like you are using these as passing to other chords as a pattern and not necessarily functional theory. You can call them whatever you like as you are the composer here. Let someone else figure out the theory behind it.

If you like the sound, write it down.

it's not even like tracing, he's just blindly drawing, then using google to see what he drew, and try to make sense of it.

exclusively shitposting.

did you bozos even read my post? I said I WANT to learn music because I'm tired of "tracing"

Your second chord is like F dominant 7th but with the added E in the bottom and it sounds like shit

do you know basic piano
?

it's more like an E7 with a random F thrown in

Yeah you're right I played the F as E and it confused me. OP plays so shitty chords it fucked me up.

yes I do but sadly I don't have one anymore.

my bad, bro. sounds good to me on a Nashville tuning acoustic

>they work really well for the phrase I'm using them in
I find that really hard to believe, those are some ugly ass chords. Post an example on vocaroo.

Why do you even care about naming chords I can't understand the point. i know dozens of bizarre chords in all keys but like hell I'd try to name them.

maybe this will help me get some clearer answers. the chords in dispute are the first two, then some others for context. laptop mic quality naturally

vocaroo.com/i/s09Prd6D4V0a

for purposes of autism basically. I want to understand the moving parts of what I play and also I know that I'll forget how to play my songs after I record them. so by writing out what the chords are I can go back and play them again at some point

>by writing out what the chords are I can go back and play them again at some point

or you can just tab them

I hate being a tabfag though

>I care about what other neckbeard guitar fags on Sup Forums think of me so I won't use tablature because thats for fags lol!

no you triplenigger I want to learn the theory behind the chords! why is that too much to ask?

thanks to these anons for giving me actual answers

>theory behind the chords

its not rocket science.
there are 7 notes in each key.
you combine the notes and make a chord.

only gaylords who want to teach music end up trying to figure out the technical name for the chords.

yo op, you def need to start reading music

tab can only take you so far but sucks if you want to understand the theory behind it

rick beato's a good start I guess
youtube.com/watch?v=T5SmcH11kUk

sweet dude, I'm about to get comfy with some hot tea+blanket and watch this.