Adam Driver TED TALK

>Adam Driver recently gave a TED Talk about his challenging journey from being a Marine in the 1/1 Weapons Company, transitioning back into civilian life, and then becoming an actor who ended up playing the part of Kylo Ren in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Does his "service" excuse him for being a shitty actor?

>tfw wanna enlist but I'm really out of shape and don't wanna embarrass myself
>also scared of being away from my pupper for months at a time

why the fuck would you want to enlist you want to go fight the war on terror racket?

No. Art should be a meritocracy, if you suck, you suck. Plain and simple. He sucks. He can get better, but he sucks right now

Get in shape if you really want to enlist. Serving isn't for pussies who "wanna" enlist.

Ye

What's the difference between "want to" and "wanna"?

Stop being a faggot and get fit

Do you think he's able to get better, or do you think he's peaked due to cashing in on the current genre that's popular?

>Stop being a faggot
I might be able to get fit but I'll never be able to ignore my pupper feelings

One sounds stupid. The other is the proper pronunciation.

who is worse? adam or hayden?

ive only seen him in two things

Ok

Surprise OP! sheeple don't appreciate art and talent for it's own sake, and often have difficulty separating things that are only tangentially related to each other.

What branch you wanna go in?
I was army for 8 years ask me anything

Wanna isn't acceptable in written form.

>wants to enlist
>is scared and fat

Hayden. Episode II came out 14 years ago, and his skill level as an actor is still horrendous. He was awful in American Heist.

Army

Would I get medically DQ'd for a broken finger that didn't heal right? All it means is I cant make a fist without my pinky knuckle sticking out

Only thing I'm scared of is leaving my little puppy behind at home to grow up without me

I was at McDonalds and they asked if I wanted to supersize my order. I said, "King me".

>TED TALK

You lost me there.

>Lena Dunham: What the fuck why have none of the women of Girls been asked to do a TED talk?

I wouldn't even hate fuck her. God she is detestable.

Don't even tell them about it.

Dont they request your medical records in MEPS? The fact that it healed wrong isn't on record but I'm worried it'd interfere with hand to hand training or something

>Would I get medically DQ'd for a broken finger that didn't heal right?
Probably not, just tell your recruiter and he'll probably tell you to keep that shit to yourself

>his service
WHAT service? He never shipped out. He signed up, completed boot camp, then hurt himself "stunt biking" and got a discharge.
>transitioning back into civilian life
Wow must have been a rough 4 weeks away from home! Hope mommy made his bed and picked up his toys in that time!

Kek

Didn't even serve and calls himself a marine. How would other marines react to this?

The important word here is "transitioning". I believe it is our civil duty as a community to take it out of context and ponder how much of an ugly slag he would make. Also pretend to be outraged about this somehow.

MEPS only knows what you tell them. If all it does is make your pinky crooked you should be fine

what's the quickest path to killing muzzies within the armed forces?

But I cant punch with my right fist. That won't matter any?

Bullshit.

The conventional force is a bunch of fat asses, women, and faggots.

It's very unlikely you'll ever be called upon to punch someone in your tour of duty. Your most likely role will be to sit in a beat up old jeep in a desert with no body armor and die to a sniper bullet or explosive gas can buried under the dirt.

I wanna see your pupper.

Don't fucking enlist and be a puppet the leadership gives two shits about, user.

They care so fucking much about the men risking their asses that they're now forcing them to take women and faggots with them into combat.

How pathetic is that?

No
This is the army its much more important if you can shoot. I believe they recently added combatives to basic training but its more grappling not a lot of punching

This is his imitation of a frog

>typical Sup Forums user
>ever having what it takes to be an officer
this is literally the "I dropped out of school" board

>not a lot

So what do I do if I have to punch? Southpaw?

I just want to do a couple of years so I can grow the fuck up and then leave

Lmao kid not him, the gov gives not one fuck about anything other than controlling everything it can

says the guy who's never served

You sound like a 16 year old.

cute doggo

I don't know, I know a lot of 16 year olds and a lot of them don't actually sound that retarded.

Stop worrying about your fucking pinky. You're making excuses for yourself. Are you sure you wanna join?

just because i dont give a fuck about a shitty thread on Sup Forums doesnt mean im an edgy highschooler

The officers get fucked just as bad as the enlisted, dipshit, which is why most of them resign their commissions the first chance they fucking get.

Our military has been completely politicized, thanks to Obama, the democrats, and the weak ass republitards that appeased them, and is 100% shit now.

Anybody that joins today deserves what they get.

You sound like a highschool dropout.

Yeah but what if SeƱor Donair Trunk wins?

Then he'll just Make the Armed forces Great Again and it'll have been worth it to enlist

Says the fucking fat ass pog that has some faggoty ass support job, or some nigger tier mechanized "infantry" job...

Not him but what was your MOS?
13B here

still better than being a worthless piece of shit who hasn't done anything for anyone but themselves.

You sound like an ignorant pussy.

Nothing will change.

So have you served

11B3V.

I did a year in A-stan, and 2 years in Iraq.

Fuck it mane I'm still gonna enlist, I'm not looking to make a career out of it

Because not being in the military implies that you haven't done anything for the world. And this is why I hate most military fags because you want fucking praise for your service. Do it to serve your country and not boost your ego if you're going to do it.

what if I want to do it for both those reasons?

>wanna enlist

Good goy!

>I did a year in A-stan, and 2 years in Iraq.
Ha I'm the opposite 1 year in Iraq 2 in Afghan. Been out for 5 years now

Still a faggot, but I at least respect you for genuinely doing something to benefit your country and doing something with your life.

Total waste of lives, time, and money.

Congress...hell, D.C., should get hit by a giant meteor and wiped off the planet for the amount of incompetence they've displayed since 9/11.

He's not a shitty actor at all.

Agreed
My first deployment in Afghanistan was 15 months. 15 fucking months where we did fuck all. Made some good friends though

>shitty actor

Supporting actor ole on Scorsese ''Silence'' this autumn
Lead actor role in Jarmusch`s Paterson which premiered at Cannes with positive reviews
Lead actor role in Gilliams Don Quixote.
Supporting actor role in Soderberghs new heist movie

>bad actor

Ok, only comment on military service you need here, if anything I'm about to say worries you than probably don't waste your time.
Tell anyone about anything remotely negative about your physical or mental health and you will likely need to fight tooth and nail to keep from being discharged if it gets to the right people.
Your family and pets will grow up without you. Many people cannot realistically imagine amount of time they will miss, but you will likely spend at least 3 years seeing your loved ones less than 6 months in that time (unless they are a spouse and come with you). Your younger siblings will nearly transition through an entire stage of schooling before you see them again; they will start puberty, they will start driving, they will get jobs, etc. If you are unlucky like me, they will die while you are gone.
You will not make the world a better place or save anyone. You will watch men be killed from half a mile out with mortor fire, you will mop floors and fill out paperwork for the entirety of your service, you will have more restrictions on your personal demeanor, time, and physical appearence than you'be ever known and it is in the name of having "disciplined" desk jockeys and mechanics.
If you want someone to pay for your college or you reaaaally want the uniform but if you want to "serve your country" become a domestic civilian doctor or mechanic. Hell even the zit faced teen working the register at 7/11 does more for this country than the swabbie who takes tax dollars to float around the ocean for 8 months, stacking cans and cleaning bulkheads.

How is stealing oil for israel and being a welfare queen "serving your country". You're serving a country alright.

you show some god-damned respect you fucking civvie.

driver could rip you from limb to limb.

Playing CS:GO doesn't mean you're serving in the army, fatty.

no but you fucking civvies piss me off. the bravest and best men (more in each regard than you'll ever be) sign up for the marines, let alone the armed forces.

you have no right to ever diss any serviceman who made it through boot camp. you wouldn't last one single day.

Stop pretending to be in the army, Billy.

>4 weeks
it was over 2 years

He still never deployed

I thought that was the shitty TEDx
It's the actual shitty TED talks
lol

Yes, and? Muh deployments.

It is hardly as if he was dodging doing so, and served his time. Sure it wasn't the most noble or lengthy, but he did it. Thats more than 99% of the population in the States can say.

>tfw all you want to do is go on a float or go anywhere not continental US

>tfw you get a nondeployable duty station out of MOS school and the contract lasts your entire enlistment

>tfw don't wanna reenlist because I'm cyber and can make better money outside than in

True I'm just giving him shit. But if you've ever served you know damn well that deployments fucking matter especially in combat arms. If you were in my unit without a combat patch you were basically a piece of shit until you got one

>cyber
>deployments
kek its not like you would do shit anyway.

If you were in actual field unit you'd whine about cleaning the motor pool 24/7

Yeah but we're probably not going to war again any time soon

Marine here.

There are an equal amount of turds and shitbags in every service.

Everyone thinks Marine boot camp is the hardest, and it probably is. But it is literally the easiest thing you will do your entire enlistment.

What if I work and get government money?

>maintain network, ensure the officers can access Facebook

>make sure GBOSS is working properly

>make sure no fuck boy decides to charge their iPod on SIPR

>find an 03 Sgt and suck his dick until he lets me go on patrol

Not that there's active combat deployments, but I'd like to see a different part of the world than fucking California for 4 yearz

Da fuck you talking about? We never stopped being at war. How many troops we have in Afghanistan right now?

But he's a good actor, he has a strong presence and commanding voice, he's pretty funny and can actually emote properly.
Can't wait for Paterson

I don't really remember him being particularly bad in TFA, and he was good in Midnight Special (the film was kind of disappointing though).

Active combat deployments aren't really a thing anymore. Not at the stage that they were. It's mostly SF/SOF now

That's not necessarily true. I would suppose there are literally millions of brave and physically fit men who don't ever join the military.

Some people have legitimate problems with the military complex, some don't but aren't nationalist enough to consider it, some people already have careers lined up where joining the military would be a waste of time.

I always thought it was really strange how certain military men behaved as though joining the military made them better than other people. Better than themselves, maybe but applying such a specific standard to everyone else is just ridiculously self serving and asinine.

I can see why its more strongly emphesized on the combat arms side. Most of my enlisted time was as medical (68S) and we mostly are either in hospitals or tiny field detachments (which is almost always around 12 people tops). Medical gets a lot of people who can somehow go 12+ years without deployments. I think if you are a deployment dodger, you're a piece of shit. But, if you served and just never got that chance? Oh well.

Right now I am torn between going the next ~12 years or getting out. But man moving to 640A was the best move of my life.

Yeah I was a 13B (artillery) Deployed 3 times once in Iraq twice in Afghan. When we weren't doing our actual job we were either doing infantry shit, training the locals, or pulling guard. Actually we were always pulling guard no matter what we were doing. I did 8 years and got out. Glad I did. Got a nice chill job now.

Enlisting is for poor cunts that desperately want out of a town and poor cunts that can't afford college.

Either way it is for retards that can't succeed.

Every now and again they rope in some autist that loves call of duty or joins because their dad was in.

Don't join.

see

OP does you poor bait excuse you for being an irredeemable faggot?

He's not a shitty actor, though. He was very good as Kylo, it just happens Kylo is a pretty shitty character.

This.

I can easily imagine them casting some pretty-blonde boy who would`ve absolutely butchered the lines, especially Rey-Kylo interrogation and Kylo-Han scenes.

He squeezed the most he could out of those lines. Did a superb job in TFA and if the reviews of Pateron are true, he`s gonna have a very good career.

And I think Gilliam and Soderbergh casting him is a proof of that.