/shugazi/ Shoegaze, Blackgaze, Dream Pop, Noise Pop General

Other one died, let's keep this going boys.

>Also, lyrics edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W_l9A2dprqY
youtube.com/watch?v=JzMQXB0x1Eo&t=971s
youtube.com/watch?v=81R7qBM3v30
youtube.com/watch?v=n17zT_EFHdU
youtube.com/watch?v=i3lAy1PVwJs
youtube.com/watch?v=nSQ2Ep2VEsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5LcgO8YAxZI
youtube.com/watch?v=CFcHfpFqepo
youtube.com/watch?v=1FSTH3ArwG4
youtube.com/watch?v=z1uV666iPpU
youtube.com/watch?v=UF18bkfrZUE
youtube.com/watch?v=v5kRrLmGJho
youtube.com/watch?v=huCc7MwHby0
youtu.be/wNeza0FeqJQ
mega.nz/#F!h1FikZRI!c-OP3Ib6EPHxkVmx98vgTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ODnIAWzGz3s
youtube.com/watch?v=M80Rn843dKI
youtube.com/watch?v=PLuxtzGZy-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=D4cDx9xU1BY
youtube.com/watch?v=onpEq-m8efU
youtube.com/watch?v=xeTH33bAl5g
youtube.com/watch?v=BFNZK_gZpUo
youtu.be/DoEav9mAB3U
youtube.com/watch?v=WjQRm-ihASo
youtube.com/watch?v=zHqXg9TqS6c
youtube.com/watch?v=RO_LX-m74uw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Has an entire band ever aged worse than My Bloody Valentine? (physically, not musically)

>tfw /shugazi/ never lives
Post shoegaze if you want to live

youtube.com/watch?v=W_l9A2dprqY

Easy answer, yes

can someone fucking explain me why Ride is considered to be a shoegaze band?

>shoegaze
>lyrics
buddy.

part of the joke.
buddy

bump

If you gonna bump, bump with some music my dude

youtube.com/watch?v=JzMQXB0x1Eo&t=971s

i need pedal suggestions

already have a skysurfer reverb and saving up for an EH cathedral reverb.

what else

Shoegaze originated as a term for a bunch of bands from that area, kinda like Grunge.

Fuzz or distortion.

I personally like the Big Muff, but I mostly play bass so I'm not the best to give advice. If you want a good bass fuzz for shoegaze you can't go wrong with the MXR one.

Dudes listen to this song. Listen how Anton has those guitars sound like they're literally crying and wailing around the 2:15 mark. This is how you express yourself with a guitar. This is beauty beyond belief to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=81R7qBM3v30

I love the lyrics to Blown A Wish actually
>fall apart my bleeding heart
>nothing left to do
>once in love
>I'll be the death of you

Also does anyone know how he's doing that? Yes I know it's feedback but there's something else going on there. Is it just manipulation of a tremolo arm?

What? They've all aged exactly how you'd expect after nearly 30 years. Bilinda's still a cutie.

Shit! I posted a live version. I mean on the studio version

youtube.com/watch?v=n17zT_EFHdU

>she told me that she loved me
>love just for a day
>and all the time I feel her
>I feel her fade away :'(

Shoegaze can have great lyrics. People make a big deal out of how unimportant they are but I really appreciate them.

sure my man

how do I into shoegaze?
does anyone have a chart?

He is so cute and sexy.

I started with Asobi Seksu because I was really into a lot of Japanese bands.

Also lyrics
youtube.com/watch?v=i3lAy1PVwJs
youtube.com/watch?v=nSQ2Ep2VEsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5LcgO8YAxZI
youtube.com/watch?v=CFcHfpFqepo
youtube.com/watch?v=1FSTH3ArwG4
youtube.com/watch?v=z1uV666iPpU

listen to 'machine gun' by slowdive

>EH cathedral reverb

Pretty good reverse reverb, but also take a look at the Digitech RV-7/Polara (They're the same pedal, but the Polara has Halo mode, RV7 has gated mode).

It has a nice reverse mode, it's cheaper, and the spring and hall mode kill the Cathedral's in my opinion. You'd have to compare them for your specific needs though.

But you'll definately want a fuzz/distortion. Look into Big Muffs, RATs, and the Boss HM-2. There's thousands of good choices.
A chorus pedal is nice if you want clean, lush sounds. The CE-2 is my favorite choice,but I got mine for free, so for the money, there are better choices.

ttw no MEGA for Crush by Astrobrite.

Bump: Haunting by AR Kane is the best shoegaze song edition
youtube.com/watch?v=UF18bkfrZUE

What's some good melancholy sounding shoegaze/dream pop?

I need some comfy depression feels

this might be the best shoegaze qt pic ever

prove me wrong

i have such a crush right now

Dude, Rachel was the biggest qt 3.14 in shoegaze. People always talk about Billinda, but she's not even close to Rachel, honestly

Whirr - Distressor
She, Sir

gimme something heavy and dreamy

Xuvetyn maybe?

i love em but aptbs' lyrics were always pretty corny

How do I write a shoegaze album?
I've never to my knowledge listened to shoegaze.

yes

youtube.com/watch?v=v5kRrLmGJho

really digging this. feels like a downtempo moby song, but with shoegaze textures and female vocals.

My personal pick for best "current shoegaze" band, granted the term I know is used in a really weird way when talking about current bands, but anyway:

youtube.com/watch?v=huCc7MwHby0

First time I heard I didn't really like it at all, but listen to it and come back to it in a bit, you might really fucking dig it.

>TFW
>NO
>QT
>SHOEGAZE
>GF

My nigga

this is me btw

first track is probably the weakest also btw

youtu.be/wNeza0FeqJQ

you
listen to this

i'm looking for some really sad twee-ish lush 90s shit. someone hook me up

Astrobrite - Crush (2001)
>shoegaze, Noise pop

mega.nz/#F!h1FikZRI!c-OP3Ib6EPHxkVmx98vgTQ

lol

you are EXACTLY describing The History of Apple Pie

if you havent gotten into them, do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=ODnIAWzGz3s

oh i guess except theyre not really sad

youtube.com/watch?v=M80Rn843dKI

youtube.com/watch?v=PLuxtzGZy-Q

youtube.com/watch?v=D4cDx9xU1BY

youtube.com/watch?v=onpEq-m8efU

why would you write a shoegaze album if you haven't even listened to albums from that genre in the first place. If you want to do shoegaze, just listen to shoegaze first.

borderline dreampop but what did you guys think of pic related? was my AOTY last year for sure.

How would you describe them? Carnival of Light and Tarantula were bland britpop-lite, but everything before that is shoegaze.

Different user, but thanks for the tip.

Generic indie rock

my thoughts exactly. might change after I'll see them live with Slowdive idk idc.

I just pulled an all-nighter writing an essay and it's utter poo poo but I just want to pass the class anyway

music for this slightly depressing, tired, and apathetic feel?

best current shugazi band

youtube.com/watch?v=xeTH33bAl5g

Got a download for this?

>shares an album
>never gives a mega link

Ride are Britpop not shoegaze.
They sound like Blur.

>doesn't know how to search the archive
>doesn't have slsk

youtube.com/watch?v=BFNZK_gZpUo

shaddap fool

>Slowdive release new song
>hugely positive critical reaction, sounds great (especially the mixing)
>500k views on youtube
>800,000 plays on spotify
>reached #1 on the Billboard + Twitter Trending 140
>North American tour booked for multiple nights in several 1,000 - 1,800 capacity clubs and theaters and various festivals as well

>Ride release two new songs
>mixed reaction, sound very bland like Blur
>97k youtube views and 22k spotify plays for the first one
>33k youtube views and 54k spotify plays for the second one
>playing just 4 US tour dates, all in large east coast cities, but only in sub-800 capacity venues

What did they mean by this?

the DC venue they're playing is literally a fucking synagogue lmao

it's because Slowdive are way better than Ride and always have been

Ride fucking suck ass

youtu.be/DoEav9mAB3U

Some nice early 90s alt rock/shoegaze with some goth and grunge influence

What does /shugazi/ think?

been listening to this a few times since it got posted, good stuff

>>playing just 4 US tour dates, all in large east coast cities, but only in sub-800 capacity venues
I know they just did a US east coast tour a couple years ago, the venue they played near me holds 2000 people. Did anyone see them then?

I remember listening to Ferment and being blown away and then having it sound more and more annoying the more I listened to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=WjQRm-ihASo

youtube.com/watch?v=zHqXg9TqS6c

I tried listening to Ferment but I couldn't get it it, really liked this one though

Step one: Listen to shoegaze.

Step two: Decide if you like the sound of existing shoegaze enough to want to emulate or draw influence from it.

Step three: Write an album in which you attempt to emulate or draw influence from existing shoegaze.

Step four: Listen to your album. Evaluate whether the result sounds like it fits under the same umbrella term as existing shoegaze. If yes, you made a shoegaze album. If no, hopefully you still made something interesting.

Genres exist as a guide to categorize what has already been done so that people can discuss and find new music easily. You should only set out to actively make an in-genre album if there's something specific in the sound of that genre that you're also trying to bring and even then your primary goal should be making quality music rather than checking genre boxes to "fit in."

Slowdive is infinitely better than Ride but the new Ride songs are infinitely better than the new Slowdive song. If someone had told me it was a bedroom project trying to sound like Slowdive I would have believed it without any doubts.

Yeah this I dunno what everyone is so hyped over Star Roving for. Shit sounds like an LSD And The Search For God b-side

Also their """""North American tour""""" is barely any better than Ride's. Fucking six dates and two are at the same venue. Great. Thanks guys. Glad all that waiting paid off

>NEITHER of them are touring the west coast
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Looks to me like they're starting out with small tours to test the turnout though. Neither of their albums are even out yet.

Good shit, I hadn't heard Manic Sheep before.

THANK YOU!

>want noise pop similar to Sleigh Bells
>HeartsRevolution and You Love Her Coz She's Dead not doing it for me, no real bite or urgency to what they do
>Crystal Castles vaguely similar to what I want, but have listened their back catalog to death

Any other suggestions?

Poppiness and intensity of Sleigh Bells, aggression of Crystal Castles but with less bloop.

Does it exist?

Mad props to whoever recommended Soundpool in the last thread, they have a very cool sound and I've been playing Mirrors In Your Eyes nonstop recently

Is the whole Japanese Shoegaze thing good or it's just a meme?

The thing I like best about shoegaze are big, crunching walls of sound.

Who is the most reputable Wall of Sound dealer outside the big 3?

thanks so much for this. i love so many of these albums, black ryder, jesus and mary chain, brian jonestown massacrelush, slowdive, m83, but never really realized the extent of this

lovesliescrushing/astrobrite

Modern Japgaze > Modern Western Shoegaze

I hate weebs, but i have come to realize japs make great shoegaze

This, they're pushing it forward or at least keeping it modern, unlike all western retro shit

What's that

If someone could make records now which sound as good as souvlaki or loveless then I'd be happy with retro, but it's all kinda wishy washy when really shoegaze is more about actual chunk with reverb to create that sort of eerie lingering effect where you can't tell which notes/instruments are bleeding into each other (well loveless at least); pushing the reverb so it sounds like a real instrument rather than using reverb to drown your mix in faux-atmosphere and using a basicbitch pop pattern with nothing much to back it up in the way of deep foliage-layered sound engineering.

No one has the money Kevin had I think's the problem, lol

its on soulseek

Blue demos

So differentiate post-rock and shoegaze for me please. Where does Mogwai fall. Also Alcest?

They're way different. Shoegaze is about piling fx pedals on top of each other to create an otherworldly sound with a guitar, generally in a poppy song structure, whereas post-rock is about making drawn out songs with unique progressions and often having things like math-rock time signatures and prog without all the pomp and complexity (because with swathes of reverb over everything (as post-rock sometimes does) it's difficult to fix all those rapidly changing elements that occur in prog (sometimes)). Mogwai is more post-rock than shoegaze and alcest is like metal post-rock and shoegaze in a nice french frost.

What does /shugazi/ think of All I Wanna Do by the Beach Boys?? are there any covers of this that are even more shoegazy?

youtube.com/watch?v=RO_LX-m74uw

宇宙ネコ子とラブリーサマーちゃん - 日々のあわ.EP