en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa#Politics_and_religion
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

All of them!

freak out and weazels ripped my flesh
i've never liked his stuff outside mothers of invention much

hot rats
uncle meat
weasels ripped my flesh
jazz from hell (an unpopular opinion but i stand by it)

not this

'

We're Only in It for the Money
Uncle Meat
Zoot Allures
Läther

You Are What You Is

This looks like a bad hip hop album.

you should check it btw, and all his syclavier and classical stuff are the best imo

Zappa was a charlatan

From a more general perspective regarding music history?

Freak Out
Lumpy Gravy

If you wanna get into Zappa then all of the original MOI stuff, his early 70's orchestral/jazzy stuff, the mid 70's live albums and Civilization Phase III.

>All drugs are bad except the drugs I'm addicted to

Cigarettes are basically food.

sure, in the same way that mercury is basically food

Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar
The Grand Wazoo
Bongo Fury

Freak Out!
Absolutely Free
Lumpy Gravy
Uncle Meat
Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Hot Rats
Weasels Ripped My Flesh

you know I could keep going but Zappa is an essential kinda guy

Tobacco is a plant, meaning it's one step away from being a vegetable.

But yeah, my post was just paraphrasing his own words.

Absolutely Free and Hot Rats are must listens, your reaction to either of them determines where to go next

>Tobacco is a plant, meaning it's one step away from being a vegetable

wait and weed (and poppies, mushrooms etc) is what?

Freak Out!
Absolutely Free
Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Over-Nite Sensation
Apostrophe (')
Hot Rats
Joe's Garage

>tfw zappa is so diversely good that Sheik Yerbouti is my favorite album of his and no one has posted about it

Well hemp is an herb, poppies are flowers, and mushrooms aren't even plants.

well tobacco is an herb too and mushrooms are most assuredly food

especially compared to cigarettes

Sheik Yerbouti, which I once thought was amazing, has awful diminishing returns. Chin and Tiny Lites are good songs. But I can only handle so much Terry Bozzio and there are few songs that are nice to listen to for instrumental reasons; the parodies don't have a very long shelf life, especially today.

Well, I think just functionally speaking cigarettes are more similar to food than other stimulants. And it doesn't impair/interfere with your mental faculties like most other drugs, so I don't think Zappa was being a hypocrite.

Jewish Princess will always be a masterpiece.

It all started in Joes Garage... can't believe that's not here more.

original sheik user here, i usually get my enjoyment from listening to it all in one piece every now and then but i get where you are coming from senpai

>hemp is an herb
And an herb is a plant

>poppies are flowers
And flowers are plants

Yeah but more specifically they're flowers, and we typically don't eat flowers.

Yeah, not that I hate it or anything. I still play it. just thinking out loud about why people might not bring it up in these threads

Freak Out
Absolutely Free
We're Only In it for the Money
Lumpy Gravy
Uncle Meat
Hot Rats

If you had to listen to one, it should be Uncle Meat, imo.

also flowers:
>broccoli
>cauliflower
>squash

we also eat mushrooms.

which brings us back to

Point being? We're making generalizations here.

point being cigarettes are not basically food and frank is a pompous ass with a superiority complex

t. butthurt junkie

I already told you it was a reference to something he said. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out the actual meaning of a statement like that. It has less to do with botanical distinctions and more to do with its practical use. In that regard, smoking a cigarette is more like sucking on a lollipop or chewing gum compared to taking LSD/heroine/w.e

sure and i'm just saying it's hypocritical and obnoxious.

condemning one drug for "destroying" your brain but condoning another that most definitely destroys your body

He didn't seem to believe that smoking was as bad for you as it actually is. Makes his death a bit ironic.

But as you say there's a distinction to be made since it doesn't actually alter your mind/personality. I think he ultimately had a point when he lamented over his generation's drug use.

Also his view was a bit more nuanced than you seem to think. While he was against it on a personal level he had a pretty liberal view on it in terms of public policy.

youtu.be/R0y23ga49fA

I never understood why he considered himself conservative despite sharing almost of his views with the left

*almost all

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa#Politics_and_religion

He called himself a practical conservative, by which he basically meant libertarian. Many different groups identify with the label for different reasons, and in his case it had more to do preserving the constitution, limited government etc. than religious values.

Most good albums already mentioned, so I'll just add Yellow Shark.

Zappa in New York, Studio Tan, Sleep Dirt
My favorite Zappa era t b h

Oh, yes. An album of Zappa's classical music played by a competent band and sounding the way he wanted it to.

I also like WPLJ, So take it for what you will.

Beefheart is superior.

PRetty much this, maybe swapping Absolutely Free for We're Only in it for the monety

I love it to. It's a combination of classical and rock music and it's an amazing combination.

Joes Garage is maybe the only one that rivals Yellow Shark for me. Outside now...

This is a pretty good list right here

The one that Thundercat just put out.

Just this one

This guy nailed it

sorry I'm late

Sheik
Apostrophe
The Man From Utopia
Joe's Garage

All of his 60's albums, starting with the first