/daily/ - Initial D Edition

Someone else start making these threads or the OPs are gonna get retarded super fast.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on /drift/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pZa7h8NW1Ng?t=4m8s
youtube.com/watch?v=J9FImc2LOr8
youtube.com/watch?v=1SDa_Jqmuiw&t=1619s
youtube.com/watch?v=F5VvvVxuKko
youtube.com/watch?v=RNb6srcp1S4
youtube.com/watch?v=H-otGs3n4sY
youtu.be/7sqQl3EpXl0).
rateyourmusic.com/~I_AM_FISH
youtube.com/watch?v=JIfHez1gT8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=apOB1xUEkwo
youtube.com/watch?v=sk1Q-BFgnPM
youtube.com/watch?v=1yBd5RY7GRo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

last thread:

First for Jens Lekman- I Know What Love Isn't

2nd ;)

good dubs tho

>Nat: Escape the Day - Ghostless

youtu.be/pZa7h8NW1Ng?t=4m8s

fish tried to cheat but unless fishmangs is as good as people say he might be in trouble, thank you nat for convincing me i need to finally check out low

>Nyar: Sondre Lerche - s/t

yeah no but a soft yeah no, 5 years ago i could see this working for me

ha fuck the link didn't work, what eric says at 4:08 is the review

>mfw the last thread hit bump limit right after I post my reviews

>unless fishmangs is as good as people say
Are you feel good?
Feel good.

oof for both the Nat score and Nyar

first time I recced 98.12.28 in a tourney was for Herb Guy and he didn't really like it so you may not.

UUUH. (violins explode)

Shato? Sato!
Shato? Sato!
Shato? Sato!
Shato? Sato!
NOOOOOOOOO!

Good album.

I had no idea what that part even was, other than just them repeating his name. Glad I finally figured it out because the opening track is hilarious now.

Heck though the greater context of Shinji's death surround the album..

Works of art that fall into time so perfectly are rare.

Had too much Shaq Fu Punch tonight and I can't sleep. Music for that feel?

>Music for that feel?
youtube.com/watch?v=J9FImc2LOr8
this is your fault.

>I finally figured it out
meaning I had a translator do it for me lol

Idek if Shinji "knew" it was going to be his last concert. He talks about wanting to tour more "next year" in the second time he talks to the crowd, but at the end he leaves the stage crying :/

Watch all of Kazaam in reverse it's the only way

Shit I forgot to do one of these updates

idk music sucks tf u want from me

no wall of text but if you want me to elaborate on any individual albums I might later

Mfw

>Implying it can get any better than the original

I guess true masterpieces should be examined from multiple angles

The first three songs on Ghostless are 10/10

listened to this for the first time today

youtube.com/watch?v=1SDa_Jqmuiw&t=1619s

Pretty good blend of ambient techno and other subgenres, the visual album enhances the album a good bit. Finally got around to Solid Space as well and was blown away

started last thread on bepis ended last thread on bepis we all begin and end with bepis

bepsi?

hey im the screw man i posted screw yes the tags are fucked i have them in a separate folder and edit the tags before i put it in my music folder before listening and all that ye

Can someone actually dump me some good eurobeat

>good eurobeat

youtube.com/watch?v=F5VvvVxuKko

Right so I made a nice chart with all the suggestions people gave me yesterday (or the day before?)

Got some spots left. What should I fill it with eh?

young thug jeffery

not a fan of that album

My favorite Eurobeat song desu

youtube.com/watch?v=RNb6srcp1S4

Do you like....... my car

>Not Deja Vu
disgusting

Yo what the fuck thee oh sees played here last night and i didnt notice?!

fuck I should give reviews with Eric Andre clips (I love that what's in my bag episode, dudes got good taste)

but wow nice! didn't expect you to like it that much. def check out low if you want something similarly sparse and soul crushing.

Hey i just met, and this is crazy, but heres my shitpost, so (You) me /daily/

Some updates:
>Essra Mohawk - Primadorial Lovers
Not the first time ever I've listened to this record, but I listened to it laying down last night and that worked pretty well. Instrumentally pretty mellow, atmospheric and maybe even tame, with howling, at times pretty strange vocals. High 3.5 to a 4

>Dicks - Kill From The Heart
I've not really been into punk since I was very young but the whole 'gay communist texan hardcore punk' line snagged me. Definitely above average, I feel bad giving it a low rating because it probably just isn't my thing but it didn't really hit me. Low 3/5

Listened to Abbey is Blue a few times but can't make up my mind yet.
Djeli Moussa Diawara - Yasimika
Keith Hudson - Flesh of My Skin, Blood of My Blood
Dorothy Carter - Waillee Waillee
Virginia Astley - From Gardens Where We Feel Secure
Boubacar Traore - Mariama
samandtheplants - The Eft

happy listening brother

mind explaining that dadamah rating
i love it but i thought for you it'd be sth like a 5

thanks for the recs mate

Is there a place to get all the super Eurobeat albums

Thoughts on Radioactive Sago Project? Obviously understanding Filipino culture'd really help with enjoyment of the album so I'm curious to see the thoughts of a non-Pinoy.

What does /daily/ think of this song?

youtube.com/watch?v=H-otGs3n4sY

>Cluster

As much as I hate to start off with the obligatory historical point, I think it requires a little context. Imagine living in post-war Germany where the popular music you're most exposed to is from The Beatles or German knock-off imitations of The Beatles. Imagine then hearing this newly developed aggressive, transcendent form of music that would loosly be termed Krautrock. Moreover, imagine hearing this self-titled debut--it would be hard not to think this is, in fact, aggressively anti-music.

Although it bears, you know, zero semblance cosmetically to punk rock that would develop later in the decade, the sentiments here strike me as the same--an in-your-face deconstruction of formal constraint. Whereas punk came out of working class strife, Krautrock was tied by a mutual feeling of boxed-in helplessness that was post-WWII Germany, hence fascinations with interstellar travel, mysticism, cruisin' down the Autobahn, etc. The music was unabashedly escapist from the here-and-now.

With all that in mind, it's not easy to talk formally about the music itself. As with punk rock, there's no need to pick out minute details in the sloppy performance or rough production--it's beside the point but not the point iteslf. This is the point at which the punk rock analogy falls apart, because Cluster is anything but sloppy. Cluster '71 is unmistakably the sound of some machine, in fact (a spaceship?). One should note that no names are attributed here. It's ostensibly a self-titled album, the tracks are titled only their length, seemingly only out of the need for reference. The message is clear: this is unrecognizable music, and any reference point should be vague. A self-contained entity with its own conventions. Its own gravity and laws of physics, if we're buying into the interstellar motif. All that should come with an asterisk, of course, because we do recognize vague facets of the composition--the gradual menacing crescendo of the opening track, the creaks and whizzes that sound off every once in a while to remind us of its alien structure. Formless but calculated is perhaps a description that can do it the most justice. Also, that this album was released on a major record label remains one of the greatest mysteries in music history.

Stockhausen was making out-there electonic music earlier than this in the classical realm, but the fact is that for those young people packed packed into late-night discotheques in Berlin in the early-'70s, Cluster sounded like a grand statement light years away from anything they knew.

8/10

>Fetish February
Disappointing chart: too much trash, not enough funny albums (except Philippe Nicaud, and the sleazy Smokey: his hit 'Piss Slave' is awesome youtu.be/7sqQl3EpXl0).

Good stuff I'd eventually recommend:
>Smokey - How Far Will You Go?
>Croatian Amor - Genitalia Garden
>Merzbow - Music for Bondage Performance
>Gnaw Their Tongues - Eschatological Scatology

>Djeli Moussa Diawara - Yasimika
*extremely borat voice* my son

wrong Keith Hudson imo tho, Doin it Right is far superior

I'll take those recs, thank you for your service

Do you have a trip btw?

>punk rock that would develop later in the decade
warm take

I should really listen to Cluster tho, never have

Why is the Borat voice so perfect?

And as lame as the early blues section of my History of Rock and Roll class was, the Girl Group and Motown/Memphis section has been p on point

billy woods

nice

>Djeli Moussa Diawara - Yasimika
i'm currently listening, this is absolutely beautiful.

Islaja - Palaa aurinkoon
[2005]

Lo-fi folk with female vocals, this could have definitely been my thing but it's just too redundant and one-note. Still, the sound she's going for is nice.

I was thinking about writing something similar with my review but decided against it since it might be overhyping after only a couple listens. But really, what an incredible performance, I would love to go back there too. Listening to Cooke and Redding's live recordings has made me feel a bit le wrong generation.

RIP yam

>no otis
looks a good set but still, disregarded.

also Otis' original>Aretha's cover imo

we mentioned Otis briefly

>also Otis' original>Aretha's cover imo
Ehhh

Aretha's is great obviously but I love the drumming and horns on Redding's version.

Looks like the year is gonna be pretty damn great

where are ambarchi's drums
does this mean it's not gonna be a typical jam band release and something more electronic because im hyped

pic unrelated

Yasimika's my favourite record ever, discovered it about a year ago and not shut up about it on here since. And I prefer PICPIR slightly but thought I'd shake things up because I've been recommending it too often.

Glad to hear, I don't think I've ever had such an enjoyable first listen (maybe Pygmalion years back). Got that instant favourite feeling.

Currently listening to Complete Guide to Insufficiency for the second time and loving it.

>PICPIR
whats this?

Playing it Cool and Playing it Right, I recommended Flesh of My Skin instead which is rootsier and darker but not as psychy and dubby

So I just got the time to review this one. It's a fishmans bootleg. Its not on rym sadly, hopefully someone will add that to the page

>Fishmans 12.12.97 Liquid Room: 9/10
I admit the quality of the sound in the record wasn't that good, otherwise it might very well be a 9.3-9.5 easily

I'll just keep it simple: If you wanted more Fishmans j-rock and more of the exceptional and cathartic violin bits from Uchu/Long Season then THIS is the one. This album sounds a lot like a crossover between kuuchuu camp/uchu but with the instumentation and atmpsphere of long season. Every track i felt is played to their limits. So here it goes:

At some parts the sound gets really aggressive, almost like a heavy rock or metal band (which is almost unexpected from Fishmans, but it works), urban and abstract/futuristic sounding, a lot like their other live offering Akasaka Blitz as well, with some relatively heavy use of electronics and synths and some real energesizing rockin here and there. The guitar play in here is cutting edge in the background and the instrumentation is thick, probably the most lush and meaty fishmans production i've listened to!

The performances were also on point. Every track in here is wtf this is so good tier. Just fantastic exhibition as always. Best live renditions of some of their tracks and some of theo are just comfy and fun and Fishmans at the peak of their game. And wow, Doyobi no Yoru. And wow, Sunny Blue. And that 15 minutes long Walking in the Rhythm. Holly golly 10/10. Fishmans completely nailed the dub parts as well.

Is it possibly better than their final live album? I don't know, but it's damn good

>justok: Les Discrets - Septembre et penises w/e

this is some dull ass black metal with dark/neofolk passages, but really it's the other way around. the vocals are clean, sound bored, and in a language i don't understand. nothing interesting or exciting happens the entire time, despite their best (read: half-assed) efforts. nothx
also, this has nothing to do with shoegaze, still scratching my head at that tagging

both albums in that matchup sucked so bad and nat's was so good that i'm moving him on, which also means fish moves on by default. rec me up you two

I need to hear Fish's opinion on this

Figured someone else on here would probably like it too! Such a great performance, I have a feeling I'm gonna revisit it a lot.

Also, don't worry, I get the same feeling with a lot of soul and funk music, not gonna lie

Bold move, I like it

This is the performance where the mix Aphex Twin in live with 土曜日の夜 right?

Have not yet had the fortune of hearing this. Were you the person who posted this on the sharethread? I assume you were since you posted this. How exactly did you obtain this bootleg?

Whoops, just noticed this was supposed to respond to

please tell me how you got this, or at least DM me on RYM because I would be extremely curious: rateyourmusic.com/~I_AM_FISH

Also, the pic you posted is of So Many Tears, a band featuring the two other main Fishmans members Yuzuru Kashiwabara and Kin-Ichi Motegi not Fishmans. The guy in the center is Takashi Kato, not Shinji Sato:

youtube.com/watch?v=JIfHez1gT8Q

very nice write up. I think you really grabbed the essence of the music.

>no Lou Rawls
>no Temptations

this is marginally better than the blues section though

Thank you friend

I should start posting reviews of fishmans bootlegs that don't exist to fuck with you... hmmmmmm

would actually be hilarious please do

While some respected and famous artists worldwide and from Japan (such as Kung Fu Generation, Artic Monkeys and Animal Collective) have done performances in the Liquid Room, it's a small venue where only about 1000 people or so can fit in, so you can imagine how hard was it to get a bootleg from an unofficial event where not that many people went in the first place! But all of them in this fun day were happy of course. It didn't take a pact with otherwordly aliens to find this so that's all i have to say.

I'm also a casual on here so don't worry. I'll try to be in touch with you all for more great fishmans releases

Alright, that's fine.

There exists a Space Shower recording of the Liquid Room that was broadcasted in Japan recently so I'll just assume that's where it's from. Regardless, if you obtain any more Fishmans bootlegs/live recordings, I would love for you to post them. Thank you very much freind

I'm dying because of fishmmans
As in
They gave me cancer!!!

would also probably use this for the cover, as it's from the DVD of the same performance.

shidd

what a slow thread

haha me too

Daniel Johnston makes me sad :'(

why are they shooting fishmans

if daniel johnston doesn't make you sad you have no heart (or taste)

has anyone here listened to any of andy stott's work before 2011? is it worth sitting through?

>yeah no but a soft yeah no, 5 years ago i could see this working for me
:(
buy time machine

bump

Is that Sam Hyde?

finally gave one of their albums a full listen
written and produced by the woman who also did the madoka ost
it's a three girl group not to have one "type" but because their neoclassical vocal polyphony demands it. yes there's that brand of grandeur to it but if you're calling this "cheesy" you're an idiot. melodies are complex and etherial, arrangements are rich yet spacious (a handful tracks made me think of Talk Talk fr), both subtly drawing influence from numerous streams of music. there's a few lesser cuts but this is "perfect pop" in the way that Pet Sounds or Hounds of Love are, only it doesn't get as much attention from non-weeb westerners. it should tho, it's as ambitious and masterful as pop music can get

objectively - 9/10

it's pretty boring tho

personally - 5-6/10

>not to have one "type" but
when u dont proofread after editing some bullshit out

>Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
Some nice sounding stuff and Sufjan's voice is good as usual but I can't get into it too much, he's a good songwriter but a lot of his music feels gimmicky and bloated, this time with electronica instead of chamber pop orchestration. I wish I could get more into Sufjan as I really enjoy some parts. 3-/5

>Almendra - Almendra
Enjoyed the very chill atmosphere but there's not much that stuck with me. 2.5/5

>Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Title track is awesome, the lyrics are kinda goofy but fun and there's the odd clunky transition or two but it flows well, exploring a lot of repetition while still progressing. The more ambient tracks are enjoyable but forgettable, Autobahn and Kometenmelodie 2 are great. 3.5+/5

no trips no thx

I'm gonna do a March chart with a theme again: any suggestions?
Martial March? (with Neo-folk, etc.)
March-ijuana?

how about you listen to a tune or two and tell us

Irish music

how about memes march huh nerd

ok i'm gonna grab a few of em and let you know :)

ive sampled a few now and they seem ok but not really attention worthy
youtube.com/watch?v=apOB1xUEkwo

Yeah, I could see that about Sufjan, he's kind of worn on me over the past few years. I actually think that's one of his best albums though, b/c the electronica weirdly works with his style. That's just me though.

Great chart by the way, there's some terrific albums on here.

You should check out Things Fall Apart next

Just listen to "March Madness" every day

Marsh March

Okay, I'm gonna finish the Feb chart soon, I promise.

For now, been working through the rest of my log.

[1/2]

Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece
>Contemporary Folk

Doesn’t quite hit the same highs as Astral Weeks or Moondance but then again that’s pretty tough to do. This basically has all the elements that make Morrison’s music work. There’s jazzy instrumentals, with a nice jam-based sound and Van Morrison croons away in a series of ballads. It has a cozy, springtime atmosphere and serves as a really enjoyable project as a whole. Doesn’t seem to be a big standout, as all the tracks are pretty solid in one way or another. Plus that cover is as dope as it gets.

3.5/5

Woody Guthrie - Dust Bowl Ballads
>Country, Folk

While this doesn’t have an incredible amount of musical variety, it really struck a chord with me. If you weren’t aware, all these songs focus in one way or another on the Dust Bowl of the 30s and its impact on the great plains of the US. They’re all stark and pretty eye-opening looks at the Great Depression. Guthrie talks about losing his job, suffering from “dust pneumonia” and even struggling to enter California as a Western refugee. He talks about a father dying on a farm he refuses to leave after it’s decimated. He spites the Dust Bowl, protesting that “Dust Cain’t Kill Me”. It’s all a bit dour and one note despite having some touches of humor and brief moments of catchy, borderline jangly guitar. But as a concept album (technically two compiled), it works incredibly well thanks to Guthrie’s storytelling and passionate singing.

Certainly historically significant, which I knew going into this. But it’s surprisingly entertaining and touching in a weird way.

4/5

serious suggestion: albums with "march" in the title or have a song with the word "march" in it

>Albums with a song that has the word March in it
Ciccone Youth - The Whitey Album
Gary Burton - A Genuine Tong Funeral
The Residents - Fingerprince
The Residents - The Mole Show Live at the Roxy
Scott Tuma - Hard Again
Henry Cow - In Praise of Learning
The Beatles - Yellow Submarine
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

wow that was very, very, very OK
like i could find this nice if i was driving by the city at 11pm and this was on the radio but there's not really anything going on and there's not a single trace of the style that made him big, not even some sort of precursor to it.

essential Trumpbeat
youtube.com/watch?v=sk1Q-BFgnPM

you welcome

[2/2]

Purple Image - s/t
>Psychedelic Funk/Rock

An enjoyable little collection of funk and soul tracks from a random Cleveland band. This sits at the crossroads of a lot of classic acts and I could pick up on the little influences. The singing sounds like Sly & the Family Stone and the guitar work feels very Hendrix/Jefferson Airplane influenced, with that sharp psychedelic guitar tone they both tend to use. There’s also some weird, out-there passages that made it seem like these guys were trying to be Parliment/Funkadelic. It’s nice to hear this mix of sounds but as a result there isn’t a real original feel. The songwriting is okay and aside from the monstrous “Marching to a Different Drummer”, this feels pretty standard. It’s still enjoyable though.

3/5

Alice Coltrane - Ptah, El Daoud
>Spiritual Jazz

Sounds a lot like John’s classic quartet, with Sanders and Joe Henderson filling in on the sax and Alice providing some great compositions. Anyway, this has a very similar spiritual feel, with the pounding piano, impressive drumming and mean sax work. Sanders calms down a bit to fit the tone of this album a little better and Alice plays piano on most of the tracks instead of her typical harp, which helps as well. There’s the occasional harp accompaniment but the best tracks are the ones with Alice on piano. She just rips it up “Turiya & Ramakrishna”, which is super bluesy and powerful and also happens to be the best track. Also, Henderson plays flute on some of these tracks and he’s really good!

Probably my favorite from Alice so far.

4/5

>Okay, I'm gonna finish the Feb chart soon, I promise.
don't worry about finishing charts on time, digest the music properly
i digest my charts so well i haven't listened to anything from it in like half a week

never forget the og
youtube.com/watch?v=1yBd5RY7GRo
this is so funny oh my god but the music doesn't sound like its coming from tthe car