Who are band members of famous bands whos ability was far in excess of the other people in the band?

Who are band members of famous bands whos ability was far in excess of the other people in the band?

Jimmy Chamberland of the Smashing Pumpkins is more like one of the greatest drummers of all time but was in a grunge band where musical proficiency was set really low by the other people in the band. He has insane technique, groove and feel and seems to be a guy that is one of those dudes that people really into the instrument know about but no one else. I think he's up there with Gene Krupa.

Reni of the Stone Roses is very similar in how much he stood out in the Stone Roses and had pretty amazing abilities. He's a little more raucous and rock than Chamberland but is kind of jazzy/groovy with tons of technique too.
I think the 2nd Stone Roses album was shit because Renis drumming is really what made that band special on the first album, and on the 2nd he was wacked out of his mind on drugs which made the album feel really flat and boring compared to the first one. Kind of like a better Keith Moon.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dT8RSSikRUc
youtube.com/watch?v=ww9GxW-Hbsw
youtube.com/watch?v=0VcGJZpfl1c
youtube.com/watch?v=EFkUS1sSoPA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Flea in RHCP

Flea is not an exceptional musician. He's no better in proficiency than Fruciante or Navarro, Novarro was probably the most proficient member of that band. In terms of musicianship, they are ok, nothing great. People think flea is amazing because of hype, bass nerds that are real deep into it will tell you otherwise.

youtube.com/watch?v=dT8RSSikRUc
his rolls at 3:00 are so crazy

youtube.com/watch?v=ww9GxW-Hbsw

>Navarro was probably the most proficient member of that band
>Not John Frusciante

I am a bass nerd though.

Dave Navarro has a lot more technique than Frusciante. Navarro is an ex shredder faggot.

They both are kind of crummy desu.

you're not deep in
you would know the difference between a meh musician and a very good one if you knew anything about proficiency/technique. Maybe you have a bass and fuck around with one but listen to pop music, a real bass nerd would be into people like Oteil Burbridge or Stanley Jordan, maybe appreciate someone like Flea but not hold him up as an example of an exemplary musician.

>corgan not a guitar god

you don't even know

He's not. He's kind of awful actually.

Someone posts a thread/comment about Corgan being an amazing guitar player and its him trying to shred some fusion shit and its appalling how cringey and horrid it is. Good song writer, made good riffs, as a technically proficient guitarist, he is terrible.

>Jimmy Chamberland of the Smashing Pumpkins is more like one of the greatest drummers of all time

Stewart Copeland. I really like the Police, but Sting was just pretty good at bass and singing and while I think Summers is a great guitarist he isn't on the level of musicianship as Copeland was on the drums.

Steve Malkmus

Ringo Starr

this. and he's a good composer as well.

jason schwartzman from Phantom planet was a really good actor but he was stuck with a bunch of dudes who were trying to make music.. ¿?

wut. If anything they're all holding back frusciante

Wasn't expecting to see Copeland here, good choice

I agree that he was the most talented, but I feel like The Police did a good job of not holding him back for the most part. On every album except Synchronicity I feel like Stewart is the one driving the song forward and letting the other pieces of the song fall on top.

Stephen Morris (dummer), easily. Just watch this youtube.com/watch?v=0VcGJZpfl1c

You can hardly compare a rock bass player with jazz ones. And no, I don't listen to pop, I hardly even listen to rock. The question wasn't about a best musician. Flea is the only one in the band now who is interesting musically. Good to see you can namedrop some bassists though

This is the first example I agree with. I think Summers was probably on par with Copeland but Copeland has a lot more depth in terms of songwriting and other things that make up musicianship.

Why is it always the drummer?

>on par with Copeland
in terms of technical proficiency as Summers is cut his teeth in jazz before the Police although he is a quite innovative guitarist. Copeland seemed to expand his scope more so than the other people after The Police.

Y'know, Copeland wasn't a bad songwriter. I listened to his Klark Kent stuff and there are a few gems on the album. He wasn't a bad guitarist either.

Yeah, he plays a lot of instruments.

He does a lot of soundtrack work now. Also seems like way less of a douchebag than Sting. Summers is always chill.

Everyone in The Stone Roses was pretty talented

the gulf isn't that massive

Git fuct :^)

Reni is one of the best drummers of his generation but Squire and Mani were pretty fucking good too.

This but unironically.

>not saying mani or squire weren't good, but they are like average players who are dedicated to their instrument, reni is on another level

mitch mitchell from the jimi hendrix experience

his stickwork on this is superb; killer feel and vocabulary youtube.com/watch?v=EFkUS1sSoPA

>john frusciante is kind of crummy
>the rest of your posts itt

You are the most pretentious kind of loser in existence--this kind of insufferable, self-appointed authority on what is actually bad despite wide-spread acceptance to the contrary, who has none of the evidence, talent, knowledge, or prestige to be able to support the claims they are making.

John Frusciante is hailed as a great and revolutionary guitar player by better musicians than you'll ever be. By that matter, many of your name-drop bass heroes would also tell you how phenomenal of a musician Flea is. The only reason you even bother to say otherwise is the near compulsory knee-jerk reaction to disagree with anything resembling a popular opinion.

When confronted with the reality that you're not anything special, you resist by shouting back, "Look at me, look at how different and unique my opinions are because I disagree, look at how special I am!"

And no one except other pretentious losers spouting judgemental horseshit on a website full of such ego-inflated narcissists would even bother to listen to you.