>2014
>Perfect Hair revolutionizes hip-hop, which is at least the second time Busdriver did this
>2015
>To Pimp a Butterfly revolutionizes hip-hop
>2016
>Atrocity Exhibition revolutionizes hip-hop

What seminal landmark of experimental hip-hop will come out in 2017?

Neutral Milk Hotel will come back so that Jeff can spit some bars. It won't be innovative, but because it's Neutral Milk Hotel, people will praise it as being the GOAT

Sup Forums will hate this, but honestly we're in one of the biggest periods of progress in Hip-hop. I think we're going to look at this in the same vein as how the early 90's and early 00s took rock up a notch.

ITT

It already came out

V or the soundtrack to kuso whichever releases first

how did any of those "revolutionize" hip hop? I haven't heard a rap album I'd describe as revolutionary since cLOUDDEAD

Okay SPF 100

and then rock died

Hip Hop will "die" in the year 2020 and become a post-modern mess just like rock and roll

Doubles confirm

We are already deep into the post-rap era and have been for a couple of years now. Doesn't mean hip-hop itself is dying.

well, i mean hip hop has pretty much had its run. a few more good years perhaps

>Perfect Hair revolutionizes hip-hop

>TPaB revolutionizing hip hop

Haha, wow. Mos Def did it better in 1999 and that wasn't even the first time.

What is your definition of "revolutionize"? because to me, at least, none of those albums besides kinda tpab actually pushed the sound of the genre as a whole forward, in fact all of them pretty much settled into niche appeal...
They're all great albums don't get me wrong, but I don't really hear they're influence in the current rap landscape.

Okay now I want your music suggestions. Not sarcastic I fucking love cLOUDEAD, mostly Yoni and what he does.

>2014
Honestly gotta give it to forest hills drive, pinata and days before rodeo
>2015
Again I'll give you tpab but DS2, iyrditl and barter 6 are all pretty much the reason the this year's hip hop sounds the way it does.
>2016
Not even a competition: tlop, colouring book and telafone all made gospel soul instrumentals cool again.
Gucci came back and taught trap niggas how to do a triple A project and luv is rage basically became the template for SoundCloud rappers everywhere.
Like I said before, these aren't necessarily my PERSONAL favorite albums, but when I think revolutionize, I think pushing the sound as whole forward.
That's what all these albums did

hip hop is literally the most popular non pop genre of music right wtf are you talking about

>hip hop is a non pop genre

it's the most popular genre that has a significant non-pop contingent. there's rap on the radio but it's still the most popular genre outside of the pop context

lol this. holy shit i go away from Sup Forums for a year or two and people are now completely fucking clueless.

Hip hop """is""" pop music that comes from a very non pop background

In the same way that blues was EXTREMELY popular and influenced pretty much every part of "pop music" during its time (yes I'm aware that technically pop music wasn't invented when blues was big but you know what I meme) but also came from a very non popular source (poor blacks singing about pain and addiction.)

>doesn't mean hip-hop itself is dying

desperate pleb clinging to its last threads

let us fitfully define what our young autists simply do not comprehend:

pop music consists of:

pop
r&b
hip-hop/rap
"indie"
rock
metal

real music consists of:

everything that is not autistically shilled to you by every possible corporation at every possible second of the day

(extrapolation: your dad covering a song by Rush with his cringey band is MUSIC, some dude poorly belting out an 80s pop hit at a karaoke night is MUSIC, your friend randomly noodling out on his guitar while you're both getting baked is MUSIC, all the people atonally joining in on hymns at church is MUSIC, MUSIC is not pretty. MUSIC is not always what you like. MUSIC is a SOCIAL IDEAL. Anything that doesn't meet that SOCIAL IDEAL is categorized as NOISE. get used to it. this is your fucking life, you insufferable autist.

That's like saying that rock music isn't a true pop genre because it comes from a very non pop background

That's like saying that country music isn't a true pop genre because it comes from a very non pop background

That's like saying that R&B music isn't a true pop genre because it comes from a very non pop background

That's like saying that EDM isn't a true pop genre because it comes from a very non pop background

The essence of crafting pop music is to take the sounds, themes, and ideas from very non pop genres, and to create catchy versions of them with simple song structures. Just because the genre of hip hop didn't start out as a pop genre doesn't mean it isn't one now. Just because there are hip hop albums that aren't pop music doesn't mean the genre isn't pop.

now THIS is autism

pardon me for thinking someone on a music discussion board was using "pop" in its popular colloquial sense as "music that dominates mainstream pop culture" or even its ever-so-slightly less common definition that refers to a specific, catchy and accessible musical sound.

instead, i should've assumed that they were using the only acceptable definition of pop music, which means apparently "any auditory content that is available for sale or ownership in a capitalistic society".

thank you for opening my eyes, i look forward to having meaningful discussions about genre and culture using "pop" to refer to metal, jazz, hip hop, and pretty much any other delineable genre. you're very smart, and i appreciate your time.

Mos Def? The guy that said we should all love God even though not everyone is Christian?

no problem. thank you for defining yourself as someone who is so ignorant that they are utterly unworth exchanging a single word with from this point forward

>He thinks mu wasn't full of useless idiots two, even four years ago
New
E
W

Lol I literally said it is pop...
I don't think I ever said anything about "true pop"
Thanks for confirmation my point I guess

I guess I was thrown because you wrote """"is"""", and because you drew a parallel to blues' popularity

I really liked perfect hair but besides using wonky beats and a wide vocabulary it wasnt very groundbreaking. Tpab was just 90s gfunk rebranded plus the knxwledge song and i which was the most unique instrumentally. Lyrically its shit that chuck d said in the 80s. Didnt bother with danny brown cause old sucked

>forest hills drive
>revolutionary
the fuck?

>Tpab

legit 2 star album couldn't force myself to listen to all of that shit

kek

>commercial projects
>revolutionize anything but sales

lmao

>Hiding in the attic yeah I feel like Anne Frank!

>Momma crying, sipping henny like it's that violet drank

hip hop fans on mu are cringe

Pop is just non traditional or "art" music

this is one of the worst posts I've read on this site

>What seminal landmark of experimental hip-hop will come out in 2017?
New mass compilation by Charles Hamilton but y'all niggas will still sleep on it

rap is about to go through its grunge phase

I think he's referring to albums that changed the sound for their contemporaries not necessarily the best album

digits confirm

And then finally die when it goes into its post-grunge phase

Listening to this now, pretty good but not revolutionary

Ew

Donuts has, probably By the Throat by Eyedea too. But I don't see how any of these, especially Perfect Hair, changed hip-hop