/classical/

Patrician edition

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg
youtube.com/watch?v=xweAry37KUg
youtube.com/watch?v=VOVF-33A9HI
youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM
saladelcembalo.org/archivio.php
youtube.com/watch?v=tX_M7T879kU&index=293&list=PLD9EEA6827C3A4DB0
youtube.com/watch?v=xBXzM6ac_kE
youtube.com/watch?v=zk01dTrEtRc
youtube.com/watch?v=htdzq63dPAs
youtube.com/watch?v=NHXUM-6a3dU
youtube.com/watch?v=Y18_t-UjESs
clyp.it/bphub3ny
youtube.com/watch?v=9TFB7PCSfN0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Chopin was a good composer

He's ok

*good pianist, okay composer

>tfw Grieg Op.47

I'm more of a Grieg fan

Is that Woody Allen doing the Piano Sonatas?

Op.54 is when it starts getting magical

So, anyway, an interpretation/performance can be very bad and simultaneously preferable to another one. If you had to spend the night in the wilderness with nothing but a shack and a bog nearby, naturally, everyone would pick the shack even though it's bad. The quality of the bog disqualifies it from the start, regardless of how close all of its quantitative parameters improve it, even up to the Platonic Bog, it's still a bog and thus unfit for Human dwelling. The shack is a bad choice but also the best choice.

I must confess that I don't know where to take this argument if one were to disagree. It would be akin to someone never having set foot inside a house of any kind, so much so that he would prefer the bog.

Which would make him a...

More like Op.38

Is Handel skippable?

Delicious Rosen

Unless you really enjoy operas and oratorios, yeah he's skippable. Don't let that awful patriciancore chart make you think otherwise; it still thinks Faust is at all relevant in today's musical context.

You have to listen to Water Music and Messiah at least

There's a good amount of stuff on there that I actually enjoy on that chart though, figured I'd enjoy Handel too. But I'm a bit reluctant to into Operas.

Okay, I can deal with some suites, maybe not some an Opera yet.

Guys from the last thread, when you're done wiping away the tears from your face - and that mud Jesus Christ - read this a few times while taking deep breaths, it's a valuable idea.

It depends. Are you a philistine who knows nothing about the craft behind every piece of music? Skip him, he will be boring.

If you instead know anything about theory and composition listen to him, you will quickly find out that he was a genius.
Always remember that he was Beethoven's favourite composer.

His operas and oratorios are good but they can be rather samey and repetitive, including self-plagiarisation. If you want to get in to his vocal music a good place is his cantatas, some of the best. His keyboard music, and various sonatas are also pretty great.

When did you realize that CLTs entire plan has been to make everyone but Schubert look like shit by recommending trash recordings?

>Self-plagiarisation
who cares about stuff like this?

Definitely not the Germans.

When did you realize how based Haydn was?

When I listened to his Sunrise quartet.
Also when I listened to his late sonatas.

I support his plan.

The craft behind music is irrelevant.

Op. 3 by Faust is really good.

Maybe for you, plebe.

I'm laughing at your ignorance.

>i shit on your floor after eating beans
>i shit on your floor after eating peanuts
>these are two different things

Agreed. Musical message and feeling is the sole grading basis for any piece of music. This is why contemporary music has failed.

Not an argument.

Exactly.

You're a big man for admitting your shortcomings.

Petzold

youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg
youtube.com/watch?v=xweAry37KUg
youtube.com/watch?v=VOVF-33A9HI
youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM

The suite in g minor and the toccata in b flat major available for download
saladelcembalo.org/archivio.php

No. Contemporary music failed because it went too far the other way, to the point where it became almost exclusively about craft. Craft is very important, though, and in no way "irrelevant."

It's about a careful balance between the musical message/feeling and craft. The extremes of either spectrum are a negative thing.

This

What is the peak of Piano music?

Is Furtwängler a meme?

Decide for yourself.
youtube.com/watch?v=tX_M7T879kU&index=293&list=PLD9EEA6827C3A4DB0

>describing music as a meme

No
youtube.com/watch?v=xBXzM6ac_kE

A lot of his EMI (Warner LOL) recordings are pretty shit, especially the Beethoven which is too damn slow.

Post-1950s Furt is pretty hit-or-miss. It depends. Anything before that is almost always interesting.

Here's one of my favorite recordings of his; a thrilling Brahms and Franck, though I still find Fracnk just a bit too slutty.

youtube.com/watch?v=zk01dTrEtRc
Incredible

>Sonata 15 is famous for one of its themes, which matches the theme of Paganini's Caprice No. 24 almost exactly; it is possible that Paganini was inspired by Biber, just as Franz Liszt, Johannes Brahms and Sergei Rachmaninoff were later inspired by Paganini's Caprice.
Where? I listened to the whole thing I didn't hear it anywhere.
youtube.com/watch?v=htdzq63dPAs

Is this recording available anywhere in high quality?

I believe, pic related is the same conductor & orchestra recorded in 2012, but the performance In the video is from last year so there could have been some major changes in the latter, but from what I've heard the former is still a fantastic recording of Nos. 5 & 7.

The fact that someone would ask such a question proves that Handel is underrated.

Are Monteverdi, Vivaldi, Bach, Scarlatti, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Berlioz, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Chopin, Liszt, Wagner, Verdi, Bruckner, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Janacek, Mahler, Puccini, Debussy, Strauss, Scriabin, Rachmaninoff, Schoenberg, Ravel, Bartok, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, and Messiaen skippable?

no, yes, no, no, no, no, no, no, yes, yes, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, yes, yes, no, no, yes, no, no, no, yes, no, no, no, no, no, no, no

Absolutely, listen to Grieg and Reger for the rest of your life

You don't actually believe Vivaldi is skippable r-right user?

hehehe

You sure about Puccini?

Is Richter skippable? And why the answer 'absolutely fucking yes he is'

Are Concertos the pinnacle of art music?

The texture of a Symphony, the emotion and prowess of a Sonata, the beauty of a String Quartet all packed into one.

Who is the classical equivalent to Taeyeon?

youtube.com/watch?v=NHXUM-6a3dU

@71328965
youtube.com/watch?v=Y18_t-UjESs

Sviatoslav?
Karl?
Franz Xaver?
Max?

Had no idea Yoko Ono played the Cello

That user, is down to you.

to all you Handel-Haters out there... Suck on my baby-nub... Can you be any more obvious? "I don't like Handel" "I Don't like him." Handel was certainly no Bach of course, but Bach could never write a stupid-little-Gigue like like Handel that makes you thump your foot like an imbecile... The Messiah is good asshole. There is no way around that fact... Is Handel too simple for you? Theres that qoute by Butler, right, that Handel is so good and so simple that only a musician can't understand him... Pop in the anything by thefat-pig , and unless your a sack-less bitch... A stupid bitch bitch... A weakling cunt whore bitch... With stupid pretty-hands... WHo smells good... You'll fucking appreciate it... It takes a tiny, tiny bit of transcending temporal limitations (i.e. Black metal, Punk Rock = Zadok the Priest, Since by Man came death, ect. ect. But seriously... Seriously... Clip one. Just clip one you sad clown, if you can't dig-out to Handel. Beethoven, who I'm sure YOU love, Loved handel. So take his word for it, because I know your not stupid enough to think your smarter than Beethoven. Or that your subjective opinion shouldn't automatically change when it conflicts with his.

fat people can't make good music user, his portraits where incredibly forgiving. Could he even stand to conduct?

>you won't ever marry young Martha Argherich
>she won't ever give you extremely useful secret tips to improve your piano playing
>sweaty Martha won't ever cuddle with you after an exhausting concert

why live?

>hating on Handel
>not trusting based Beethoven, who thought that Handel was the best composer in the Western canon

you guys suck

get. a. girlfriend.

lol what a retarded opinion. beethoven is obviously the greatest composer

I hate to make /classical/ waifu, but it's a slow thread.

Martha Argherich and Anne-Sophie Mutter are truly gorgeous specimens, and both execellent players.

>"B-but Beethoven liked him"

not an argument

You literally have no reason not to trust Beethoven. I'm 100% sure you haven't studied any Handel score: you're the one that is not following the principle of charity here.

>"Handel is the greatest composer who ever lived. I would uncover my head and kneel down at his tomb"

pzeztzozlzdz

sucx

>downloading complete collections of the great composer

Why would you care about every commercial Beethoven early lieder, every shit minor Bach Cantata, every repetitive Mozart menuet?
They were consistent, but not so much to justify listening to literally everything they've ever composed.

pastorale
p a s t o r a l e
p a z t o d a l d
p a t z o l d l d
p a t z o l d l
p e t z o l d

Post your favourite sacred text. I'll start: Infelix Ego (best setting by Lassus). Meditations on the Miserere by Girolamo Savonarola shortly before being executed.

"Where shall I go? Where shall I turn? To whom shall I fly? Who will take pity on me? To heaven I dare not lift my eyes"

Very powerful sentiments in that one, unfortunately it's not on youtube.

clyp.it/bphub3ny

Is Lassus as close as we've got to the music of Heaven?
Lassus made me turn Christian.

When the angels play for God, they play Bach. But when they play for themselves, they play Mozart. -- Karl Barth

There was a Lassus duet at church tonight, coincidentally.

He's pretty good. Palestrina and Morales are just as good if not better imo

Can /classical/ even name 5 (FIVE) contemporary composers that they like?

Penderecki, Part, Reich, Glass, Adams

Is there a chart for classical music plebs like me?

Me, myself, I, je, yo

I've been wanting to get into classical for a while now. Can somebody recommend me just one opera or symphony or whatever to listen to, just to get my feet wet?

Every beginner's list I see includes a ton of things and I have no clue where to begin.

Richard Wagner: Tristan und Isolde.

Be sure to go with the Furtwangler recording: youtube.com/watch?v=9TFB7PCSfN0

Much appreciated my friend.

Wtf are you saying. Karajan is best.

You can find the libretto online.

Be careful because it's exhaustingly powerful.

If you're /lit/ at all and like theatre then you'll love opera.

Have you thought of giving up your tripcode for Lent?

Way to rec the shittiest thing imaginable. Only Mahluh is worse than Wagnuh

>Wagner is bad
>Mahler is bad

Are we listening to the same music user? Are you sure you've actually heard them?

theyre both fucking shit and the epitome of boring romantic sewage

>classical
>patrician
Wew

Yeah because your tonal ancient baroque ugly harpiscord music is better dude.

Baroque fags actually think they're superior for listening to antiquated music, can you get any more pretentious?

there are good romantic composers, those just arent the good ones.

>wiping
>the first i is pronounced different from the second i
>the phoneme is the same but different
>LANGUAGE IS CONTRADICTORY - /classical/ 2017

How do you guys manage to breathe? Lungs are there to receive air, but they're also there to expel it! Breathing is nonsensical. Stop doing it.

shut up

make me loser

i just did