/daily/ - Daily music discussion (I guess)

It's the 2nd of October

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

discord.gg/8exuEmG
>come here

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

2-0-1-7.bandcamp.com/album/8-617opensources-viavegaspro-13
youtube.com/watch?v=lwCUmjFEiyw&t
rateyourmusic.com/~bulinger96
erictaxxon.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=CPhXKak_bHw
imwaitingforit.com/
rateyourmusic.com/~sshx
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sibylle-baier/colour-green/
youtube.com/watch?v=gJhpYPECs40
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Classic themed /daily/ thread

anyone else think his hat looks like a brain?

third for: this is an indisputable modern classic, on top of being 10/10

m8 that is trash m8

Fish can you reshare Night Cruising? Your archive mega link is a bunch of cda shortcuts rather than the actual record.

same

2-0-1-7.bandcamp.com/album/8-617opensources-viavegaspro-13
first release in a new collective thing i'm in. weird drony stuff.

>tfw two intelligent 4 white people classical

haha holy shit you're right I didn't realize that. Fortunately the only thing lost is the Plasma Mix, which isn't really that good anyways.

Unfortunately all of my Fishmans shit is 1500 miles away. I won't be able to up it til April, but if you remind me I sure will.

If you find any more mistakes in my rips lemme know.

Daily reminder the book is better

lol'd out loud

We should do a scheduled plug watch-along of this sometime if y'all would be willing:
youtube.com/watch?v=lwCUmjFEiyw&t

can we have ONE FUCKING THREAD without fishmans talk jesus FUUUUUUCK!!

ONE
FUCKIN
THREAD

i've always hatede you

:( I am sorry I just thought y'all would like it

watching this removes the mysticism a bit for me

obviously. creating novel art is one thing, but creating a new cliché that's the lighting-strike-twice kinda thing yfm?
well i guess Lopatin did the former, Vektroid the latter. she#s the Attack Attack! of vaporwave lmao

thats a LIE
and who said trash can't be great huh?

Damn, that's a very good opinion (though 10/10 is pushing it)

>OP pic is watered down jazz for people who can't into understanding technique/improvisation and their progression
Poseur detected

>thinks generic house music but with le spooky gimmick is a 10/10
Poseur detected

>claims to be a Fishmans fan
>all Fishmans stuff is 1500 miles away
Poseur detected

>talking about a goddamn book instead of music
Poseur detected

>doesn't like discussion about music
>probably wants others to felate his shitty Scaruffi-drone taste
Poseur detected

>doesn't care about the actual music, only cares about muh mystical image
Poseur detected

>circlejerking opinions instead of adding anything to discussion
Poseur detected

well tbf you and fisho reminded me of that thing last thread

man yo're masks all the way down

>calls other people poseurs
poseur detected

itt pleb stories:

>chilling with friends
>put morton feldman's second string quartet
>confront myself and my self (as an ontological historical entity) with the mirror of atonality (as a mirror is not an empathic but a reflexive entity, alien to the space and time it reflects and only existing by itself in relation to the other) and realize the boundaries of human thought, comprehension and consciousness
>reach rational ecstasy
>pleb friend gets up and says "what is this silence shit, lmao, put some nirvana"
>get angry at their rockist subaltern consumption conditioned by the structures of power of the imperialist white economies, but contain it
>calm myself down by remembering quotes from finnegans wake, my favorite book since i was a teenager
>mfw can't express myself because i'm a spectator in the society of spectacle

"It is not the slumber of reason which engenders monsters, but vigilant and insomniac rationality. - Gilles Deleuze" - ~Astigmata

Hey again, haven't been listening to much music but I'm still chewing through this chart. What's next?

My RYM: rateyourmusic.com/~bulinger96

My Music: erictaxxon.bandcamp.com/ (my latest album is vaporwave but the other albums aren't)

>mfw this pleb has probably never watched a film by 佐藤寿保 [Hisayasu Sato], Rafael Corkidi, 小川紳介 [Shinsuke Ogawa], Alain Fleischer, Bill Gunn, 吴文光 [Wu Wenguang], András Jeles or Franco Brocani

Do you like all music? :)

Nice entry level stuff, but this is what a real list looks like:

FLICKS
1. Shining (Kubrick, 1980)
2. 一代宗師 / 一代宗师 (Kar-Wai, 2013)
3. L'inhumaine (L'herbier, 1924)
4. [달은 해가 꾼는 꿈] 예고편 (Park, 1992)
5. بادکنک سفيد (Panahi, 1995)

MOVIES
1. The Godfather, Part III (F. Coppola, 1990)
2. Á bout de souffle (Godard, 1960)
3. And a Little Kid Shall Lead Them (Griffith, 1909)
4. Kindsköpfe (Dugan, 2010)
5. Fear & Desire (Kubrick, 1953)

FILMS
1. Höstsonaten (Bergman, 1978)
2. Hets (Sjöberg, 1944)
3. The Birth of a Nation (Griffith, 1915)
4. 十二生肖 (Chan, 2012)
5. IIIIIIIIIIIIIII1891091718191611€€€€&-@ (Sandler, 2016)

CINÉMA
1. Mogambo (Ford, 1953)
2. Lost River (Gosling, 2014)
3. ¿Quién me quiere a mí? (Sáenz de Heredia/ Buñuel, 1936)
4. Eyes Wide Shut (Kubrick, 1999)
5. Der Student von Prag (Rye/ Wegener, 1913)

KINO
1. Berlin — Die Sinfonie der Großstadt (Ruttman, 1927)
2. Pauvre Pierrot (Reynaud, 1892)
3. Mauvais Garçons (1995, Bay)
4. Avatar (Cameron, 2009)
5. 劇場版ポケットモンスター ミュウツーの逆襲 (Yuyama, 1998)

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
1. Interstellar (Nolan, 2014)
2. L'ascension du chevalier noir (Nolan, 2012)
3. 01010101 01101110 00100000 01000011 01101000 01101001 01100101 01101110 00100000 01000001 01101110 01100100 01100001 01101100 01101111 01110101 (1928, Luis Buñuel)

Not quite, it's hard for me to dislike music though. I have to get super offended to rate something below a 4

Going to see Keiji Haino, Merzbow, Afrirampo and Puce Mary all in the same evening in late May. Very happy

pic

mingus ah um
fantasias for guitar and banjo

good stuff

>Marsh chart done
>realize that there are only US male artists
ewwwww
Doing a POC-female-only chart for this month rn

poor u :(

I'm glad to hear that!

youtube.com/watch?v=CPhXKak_bHw

neil cicierega is a genius and the more you listen to his albums the more you appreciate him

>only male artists
you dingus, you left out Cleoma Falcon and Queen Ida
needs more cajun & zydeco anyways

alright triangle here are my picks

Beck - One Foot in the Grave
Albergo Intergalattico Spaziale - s/t
Mandingo - The Primeval Rhythm of Life
Hiroshi Yoshimura - Wave Notation 1: Music for Nine Post Cards
Tafese Tesfaye - Zemana Getem Derasi
Kazuki Tomokawa - 肉声 (Nikusei)
Tetsu Inoue - World Receiver
The Search Party - Montgomery Chapel
Sheila Chandra - Weaving My Ancestor's Voices
Ryoji Ikeda - +/-
Masekela - Introducing Hedzoleh Soundz
The Harmonys - s/t
Hans Appelqvist - Swimming Pool
Bobby Previte - The 23 Constellations of Joan Miró
Rhythm & Sound - Rhythm & Sound w/ the Artists

so what do ya wanna do with scoring and stuff? like where do you wanna put your scores.

>Ryoji Ikeda - +/-
noice, I've been meaning to listen to this for a while

>so what do ya wanna do with scoring and stuff?
I was thinking we could split the little colored area right above the albums and put them there.
You on the left me on the right?

or we could split the album cover in half and do that.
w/e works

>more cajun
the Essential Guide to Cajun Music is a 3*CD comp: that's more than enough for an introduction (I can barely tolerate trad Blues...); at least I'll understand the lyrics

>I can barely tolerate trad Blues
REEEEEEEEEEEE

this, i get that yall like fishmans but please

>posts on /daily/
Poseur detected

yeah that's a good idea

how do you put music on a postcard
also tfw only heard one album on there reeeeee

nvm that's silly

w9 a sec
>actually thinks Witch House has anything to do with House
aww man you fucked up try again next time

ykno that would be interesting, certainly more interesting than muh osdm. do it fgt

LORDE DROPPED A TEASER imwaitingforit.com/
song sounds okay ish but it's a 5 second clip so i can't really judge much

also the residents recently dropped another track from their new album, absolute shit again why do i keep listening to them

>i've always hatede you
LOL

i want to make a new minichart
what should i put on it?

rateyourmusic.com/~sshx
my rym wishlist is useless at this point because i added too much shit to it and now it just stresses me out

women - public strain

sounds very good, I loved pure heroine so much

Oh nice, I really liked her debute

that's quite the lineup, hope you have fun

Lijadu Sisters - Mother Africa
Pastor TL Barrett - Like a Ship (Without a Sail)
Tubby Hayes - Mexican Green

my b I will no longer try discussing music

more fishmans

dont you just love it when you put an ecm album and its just 40 minutes of solo upright bass?

you will like this

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sibylle-baier/colour-green/

ribs and a world alone are best songs right

you'd like them more than me

>Beck - One Foot in the Grave
>Lo-fi Indie, Contemporary Folk, Singer/Songwriter
I've always been the type to question Beck's standing as a "folk" artist. His brand of genre-blending alt rock never struck me as particularly folk-y accept for an occasional harmonica.
This record solidifies his legitimacy as a folk artist for me. Anyone who opens an album with a more than decent cover of He's a Mighty Good Leader knows at least some shit about American folk music. And it's the folk & blues tracks on that I find myself appreciating the most on this record. His finger picking technique is solid, not perfect, but that doesn't really matter cause he plays with personality. I can hear a lot of John Hurt in his play style. Songs like Hollow Leg and I've Seen the Land Beyond make me long for an alternate reality where Beck became a country blues musician.
The rest of the album is a bit all over the place.
It's got the dry, sparse, lo-fi production style of a lot of early indie records I enjoy. The record is a little half-baked and scatterbrained however. It really does sound more like a collection of basement demos rather than fully fleshed out songs.Not to say there isn't a certain charm to that. There are a handful of memorable moments, like Asshole, which sounds like an Elliott Smith B-side. But a lot of this record feels unrealized in it's potential.

>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sibylle-baier/colour-green/
lol i have heard this and like it, so good prediction
thx

Best is buzzcut season
Worst is teams, the beat is mixed so loud and it sounds like they're murdering somebody

Woolite recs:

James Brown - Hot Pants (1971)
>funk

It's the Godfather, come on, it's bound to be good. The b-side isn't nearly as good as the a-side with a tendency to gravitate towards softer, less funky territory, but the a-side is mint and even bad James Brown is still decent. "Blues & Pants" is a wonder, a ten-minute long jam that never lets up, and "Can't Stand It" is a bit of a weirder entry in Brown's catalogue, but still a fucking corker of a tune in its own right. These tracks, plus an RYM review, really make me realize how close in style Brown's funk era was to Fela Kuti and so far removed from other American funk and soul artists. Long, repetitive jams with an emphasis on the groove and a complete eschewing of traditional hooks and songwriting. It's such a damn cool style, and the tracks on the b-side that stray from this approach suffer and lose the spark that makes Brown's music so special. All in all, still a very solid record.

3.0-

stick recs:

Tony Conrad - Slapping Pythagoras (1995)
>minimalism, drone

Conrad's first album since his foray's with La Monte Young and Faust in the '60s and '70s is a wonderful take on modern drone that never loses the very primitive approach to drone Conrad had when he was first starting out. It's violin-based drone, which is definitely a big early drone characteristic, and while the instrument often becomes overwhelmingly screechy and abrasive in the hands of Conrad (especially on the first track here), it adds a very homely, earthy layer to the walls of sound created here. O'Rourke's influence definitely adds a lot to the moderninity of the pieces here, and while the first track might be a bit too abrasive and screechy for my tastes, the massive sound of the record is great, as is the second track.

stick moves on!

-_-

youtube.com/watch?v=gJhpYPECs40
i posted before i updated thread
looks like something id be into, thx

^_^

:D

Glad you dug the Brown album, it's definitely one of my recent favorites. Cool to hear you pick up on the Kuti influence too, it's definitely something I noticed on my first listen.

Do the Cardiacs album soon, I wanna see if you like prog more than James Brown

I want to hear a music, but I can't decide which one :/

then why not all of them

Is reggae allowed? This is pretty fucking good

>I will no longer try discussing music
best day ever

Beck - One Foot in the Grave (1994)
>lo-fi indie, contemporary folk, acoustic rock, singer/songwriter

It's really cool that Beck was able to put out something like this after "Loser" skyrocketed him to popularity, but it's really not all that great of an album. Tuneless Beck has never settled with me well, he's got a lot of experimental ideas but he always executed them really poorly, and the noisy, ultra lo-fi folk tunes on here are no different. While these tracks take up about half the album, the more structured songs on here are quite nice. He does "He's A Mighty Good Leader" very well (I've gotta echo triangle, just imagine if Beck went down this country blues path, it'd be awesome), "Asshole" is a great tune, and the very Beat Happening-esque duet with Calvin Johnson on "I Get Lonesome" is great. Not a great album at all, but it's got some great tracks and a certain charm to it.

2.0+

>Is reggae allowed?
hello friendo :-)

gonna do cardiacs soon, definitely. doing ugly casanova now though.

I'm sorry?

tell me friendo, do you like..... The Congos?

haven't gotten around to heart of the congos, but they seem like lads

I'm glad I have you in my life ^^

seems pretty ironic. what's wrong with sincerity?

i need to relisten to it but i agree teams is not very good

fug

>Is reggae allowed?
only if it's followed by the letters "ton"

digital doesn't mean insincere

Everything :D

what's wrong with ironing?

I listened to Angles Rig Hook today (not on chart). i loved the concept, but i felt maybe it could've used less talk more music, and also some of the bits weren't as good / not the kind of electronic i like. this made me want to relisten to ass truth, man its so much more fun than when i first listened to it, definitely gonna be one of my favorites this year.

what's wrong with me

what's insincere about irony?

I'm going to bed now
Sorry I couldn't stay longer
See you again tomorrow :)

it's sincerely a mask to guard yourself from criticism, self criticism or from your audience

what's insincere about openly being insincere?

The Fishmans

The Fish Men

i disagree

i agree

>thing
forced meme

really makes u think huh

suck

well that's definitely not what i said but ok i agree with this statement

Are you feel good?

"seems", a-ha. what's with the loaded question?

AOTY update: this one.
pedicurerecords.bandcamp.com/album/pd047-hi-2

It seemed pretty ironic and it seemed pretty insincere. What's the problem?

About to trigger some people with this Bad Timing rating

BOY

DON'T DO IT

you just don't know though so what's the point

i bout to do it

WHY CANT I ENJOY PRIMITIVISM

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

i don't get how it's insincere. i get uninspired or shit like that. idk how it came off as ironic.