Music notation

After learning a little about music theory, I have come to the conclusion that all musicians are retards for not questioning the system they use.

Explain what's stupid about this system to a guy who was taught notation at age of 8 and has never questioned it.

its gay

fuck

you're right

Aww is the baby electric guitar angwy that he can't sight read??
Don't worry champ keep using tabs, that'll get you far

What a master of word you are.

I mean, I guess you could try to change it, but it would be kinda like Esperanto. No one's gonna use it because no one else is using it, etc. etc.

agreed

the "there are only bass parts and treble parts, plus a bunch of invisible gray area above and below each" thing is beyond retarded.

also, why does musical notation have to only have one fucking graphic style? Its 2017, there should be a branding kit established for notation symbols, we should be able to freely change graphic styles with notation as you can fonts/typefaces with written language.

fuck musicians are dumb

T. Dumbfuck whos never played a jazz chart

Honestly this. You guys who dont like sheet music are just a bunch of pussy guitar players. Just let the real musicians handle written music

have fun with your 10th inversion flat 9 chords while green day are billionaires

I mean you'd be wrong if you said sheet music is a good system for guitar, but its not like its hard for many other instruments

If Billy J. is so good why does he literally suck cocks?
Checkmate faggots.

Lel you don't think popular bands understand theory as well?

>missing the point entirely

What do you mean by not question?

because I've always thought notation was a little wonky, but it covers the necessities most of the time. Its not like I can make other composers and editors use my preferred method. The best I can do is learn to read all forms of notation so that I can read anything that is notated.

I think there are probably more composers today that deal with music visually on a software midi piano roll rather than in classical notation. So I would make the argument that they are at least pushing to evolve the system.

I've always thought it was stupid that piano music was notated in both treble and bass cleff. there is literally no good reason to do it and a bunch of good reasons not to do it, but its still the standard. I've always questioned the logic but I still need to learn to read it because piano sheets are written that way.

I personally always liked lead sheet notation, and figured bass. My ideal notation wouldn't be ground in a specific key but would instead look more like a harmonic analysis like I IV V instead of C F G.

obviously this could be extremely difficult for beginners to learn but it would be way more convenient for fluent players.
as it is reading treble and bass clef together is probably the hardest part about learning to play piano, it would ease learning significantly if there were just two treble clefs or two bass clefs transposed by a few octaves

>My ideal notation wouldn't be ground in a specific key but would instead look more like a harmonic analysis like I IV V instead of C F G.
>obviously this could be extremely difficult for beginners to learn but it would be way more convenient for fluent players.
but a fluent player interpetrets it like this anyway, doesn't he?

Also, Bass clef isn't really an inconvenience, maybe takes a month to get fully used to

The point of the grand staff is that there are no weird jumps between the two clefs. If you were to add an extra line in the middle it wouldn't change anything, except ease of reading.

>After learning a little about music theory
This is why you have no idea what you're talking about. Music notation works and has worked for years because of its many systems it works with. Music notation slowly makes more and more sense once you learn more.

I guess so, a pianist probably does at least. I think its more difficult to see the context of everything when you play a one note at a time instrument in an ensemble.
if everybody in an orchestra was reading off of sheets that were written in "movable do" notation they would all be written in the same key, and it wouldn't be hard at all for an instrumentalist to see if he was playing a chordal 5th or what, so he can do it more musically. each instrumentalist would just need to be aware of what key sig they are playing in, and the key their instrument is tuned to so they can transpose accordingly.

I've been playing piano and reading sheets for almost 20 years and I still scramble treble and bass clef while reading sometimes. just occasionally but its disorienting and it produces wrong notes until I realize whats up. Different brains just work differently I guess.

>if everybody in an orchestra was reading off of sheets that were written in "movable do" notation they would all be written in the same key, and it wouldn't be hard at all for an instrumentalist to see if he was playing a chordal 5th or what, so he can do it more musically
I agree and I'd prefer it this way too, tho a lot of people probably wouldn't

You know there are other clefs than just bass and treble, right?

>I personally always liked lead sheet notation, and figured bass. My ideal notation wouldn't be ground in a specific key but would instead look more like a harmonic analysis like I IV V instead of C F G.
I'm horrible at notation but I like the idea of it more then using lead sheets, figured bass, harmonic analyses and such. Those ways of notation are describing the music rather than presenting it as it is. For 99% of all pop songs, lead sheets work fine, but when specific voicings are required, then notation would be the better option. And there's basically no other way that's as efficient as notation to notate melodies.

kek. You do realise you'll eventually link patterns to sounds and will make you able to hear the music you read in your head.

>so obscure they might as well not even exist

Explain the logic of not having 7 lines instead of 5

Why don't they just put the note names inside of the dots? Like this.

shape note anybody?
this is a beautiful song btw

fa so la fa so la ti

they repeat some of the solfege which i think is kind of neat, the intervals are the same so they get the same syllables

When you take into account all the instruments and their ranges, you will realize that our system makes a incredible amount of sense (as far as the staff and clefs go). For everything else it still is the best way of displaying the massive amount of information a composer is throwing at you, with notes, rhythm, articulation ect.

The problem is its a lot of information to remember and to get used to and it takes a while before you are able to read it like second nature. Take the time to actually be fluent in it before you claim you are able to understand the flaws with that system.

>appeal to popularity

People like you are why we have to wade through mountains of garbage to find decent albums these days

reading is gay as it is, you think im gonna read music of all things? especially since it doesnt matter and literally no one cares

Because different notes have different values based on whether or not they're filled in. If you're reading music, you kind of want to know the value of the note fast, and having an extra part inside the note would make it harder to distinguish notes apart. Also, the letters would be literally to small to read, and who the fuck has time to read the letters anyway when you're playing. This would literally only work for babby's first sheet music, where you don't already know the notes. Just memorize it. It's not hard. Its just A-G, and every note has a corresponding sharp, except E and B, and every note has a corresponding flat, except F and C. Flats are one note down, Sharps are one note up, so like C# is the same as Db. Also, if B is sharp, its just C. Same for E#. Its just F. Thats literally all you need to know.

Well, then, don't use it. Just code a sound generator to run a waveform at x frequency for y duration. It's how we programmed our Vic 20 machines. Break the mold! Go beyond the tempered scale and make a harmonic theory written in a metric notation. No more thirds, fifths or octaves. Fuck 'em all. Make music in 1/10ths of a frequency. If nobody likes to listen to it, well tell them they're retarded.

>Because different notes have different values based on whether or not they're filled in
If the note is filled in, make the text white...

>who the fuck has time to read the letters anyway
I do

>It's not hard
Unless you can sightread perfectly every time, I find it hard to believe it wouldn't be useful.

Watch any video about tabs vs music notation as to why this is stupid.

???